Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Metalshark posted:

the mention of Squirrel Girl assuming that Felicia can talk to cats as with Wolverine. So good.

That was an actual thing from the USG comic. Doreen went around and asked all the cat themed supers about that. Including Kitty Pride. No wonder she goes by Kate now.
Good job referencing that Vulpes Vulpes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

cant cook creole bream posted:

That was an actual thing from the USG comic. Doreen went around and asked all the cat themed supers about that. Including Kitty Pride. No wonder she goes by Kate now.
Good job referencing that Vulpes Vulpes.

Thanks for the reminder, I'd forgotten about that and it's a great page that was easily Googleable:

Unrelated: [EMPYRE #4 SPOILERS] I'm looking forward to the wedding:

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-celebrates-young-avengers-hulking-wiccan-marriage-empyre-avengers-aftermath/

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I guess that implies that there's going to be a happy ending, which is a relief because I was kind of anxious that they might be heading towards killing off at least half of one of their most visible queer couples .

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

How Wonderful! posted:

I guess that implies that there's going to be a happy ending, which is a relief because I was kind of anxious that they might be heading towards killing off at least half of one of their most visible queer couples .

I wouldn't count your chickens until Aftermath drops.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Man remember when Deadpool fell in love with an Underworld Demon/Goddess and it was nice and fun, and the whole issue leading up to the wedding was really awesome? :allears:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

howe_sam posted:

:hmmyes:

Empyre 4 sure planted the seeds (heh) for the upcoming Immortal She Hulk book didn't it?

People being mad She Hulk wasn't a sexy 80s babe finally caught up with her, so she had to die.

Lord_Hambrose fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 6, 2020

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jiro posted:

Man remember when Deadpool fell in love with an Underworld Demon/Goddess and it was nice and fun, and the whole issue leading up to the wedding was really awesome? :allears:

The wedding issue itself is pretty good too

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lord_Hambrose posted:

People being mad She Hulk wasn't a sexy 80s babe finally caught up with her, so she had to die.

So she hulk was the c lister put in a coma to show the stakes in civil war 2 and now she dies in empyre? Lol someone in editorial sure doesn't like Jen huh

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

She already has a one-shot called Immortal She-Hulk coming out after Empyre so I think it's just set-up to move her into the same genre-space as her cousin. I didn't really like it as a narrative twist but I think it's going to be really temporary by design.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

And if Disney likes their synergy then by the time her TV show debuts it'll be back to the sexy green lawyer status quo

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

site posted:

So she hulk was the c lister put in a coma to show the stakes in civil war 2 and now she dies in empyre? Lol someone in editorial sure doesn't like Jen huh

I wonder if some of that just isn't she doesn't have an ongoing when those things come around so she's the biggest female hero they can do something bad too.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Dawgstar posted:

I wonder if some of that just isn't she doesn't have an ongoing when those things come around so she's the biggest female hero they can do something bad too.

I'm just cheesed that cw2 (according to Kate leth) derailed her hellcat and she wasn't involved in making that decision

Happy Hippo posted:

And if Disney likes their synergy then by the time her TV show debuts it'll be back to the sexy green lawyer status quo

Not like it matters, immortal hulk had no bearing on endgame

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Hell, the only reason Jen's on the avengers right now was because Aaron wanted a Savage Hulk but obviously that's not compatible with Immortal Hulk.

I'm hyped to see what Ewing does with her.

Edit: also Bleeding Cool's saying Black Cat got cancelled? Say it ain't so, Vulpes!

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 6, 2020

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
It ain't so.

https://twitter.com/jedmackay/status/1291012094096220162?s=19

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

whoa Bleeding Cool is wrong? wild that never happens

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Immortal Hulk establishes that no-one gamma-fuelled can ever truly die, and that autoresurrection is a baseline part of their abilities. It might take years, it might take hours, but at some point their corpse will knit itself back together and start walking around again. Doc Samson has died several times in the pages of that book alone, and Hulk himself dies nearly every issue, especially in the early part of the run.

In other words, She-Hulk can't die, so her death in Empyre is presumably just to feed into a status quo reboot for her. Which sounds cool! I'd love to see a She-Hulk book that plays in the grisly, lurid tone space of Immortal Hulk.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The last issue with Leader even retcons She-Hulk'coming out of her coma in CW2 as her dying and just suppressing her memory of it

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It’s pretty cool that the Hulk and the X-Men have ditched the pretense and conquered death. It’s like in the 00’s when everyone gave up on secret identities.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Android Blues posted:

Immortal Hulk establishes that no-one gamma-fuelled can ever truly die, and that autoresurrection is a baseline part of their abilities. It might take years, it might take hours, but at some point their corpse will knit itself back together and start walking around again. Doc Samson has died several times in the pages of that book alone, and Hulk himself dies nearly every issue, especially in the early part of the run.

That's interesting. It certainly explains Abomination coming back again and again. I think at one point he was actually disintegrated.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I kind of love how drastic the tone of Dawn of X and Immortal Hulk are despite both being about resurrection.

X-Men: Oh my god, we can't die! :D

Hulk: Oh my god, we can't die! :stonk:

glitchwraith fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 7, 2020

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

That's interesting. It certainly explains Abomination coming back again and again. I think at one point he was actually disintegrated.

It's super worth reading. A love letter to Hulk continuity that's also very much doing its own, fantastically original thing. The art's gorgeous (and since it's partly a horror book, there are some wonderfully upsetting splash pages), the writing's sharp, and it's just generally a trip.

Really can't gush enough about Immortal Hulk. Its success is entirely deserved, it really is very good.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It's one of the best comics going right now, easily.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
"Black Cat Annual #2 coming eventually"
Is it fair to assume that 'eventually' means 'this year' or do words not mean things now

Speaking of Hulk, didn't they just reveal Ross is alive in Cap's latest issue?
Didn't he get his spine ripped out by Carnage after getting up? Did that heal? He doesn't seem to be gamma-boosted, but...
Something something skeleton xylophone fire.

KaosMachina fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 7, 2020

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Given that it was one of the Infinite Destinies annuals that were supposed to be out last month, who knows.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Given that it was one of the Infinite Destinies annuals that were supposed to be out last month, who knows.

Still, well done for getting both a second annual and for being able to continue past 12 issues with a solo title who isn't (yet) an A-Lister. That's huge, and you're obviously a big part of it, alongside your collaborators of course!

You could just hand someone Black Cat if they wanted to get into Marvel and it would be such a great introductory series, and for us vets it's got so many fun nods. There's already enough for it to be up there with my favourite runs, but obviously I need that conclusion to the heist story, at minimum! :)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

One of the very (very) few times I regret not working at a comic store anymore is not being able to push a good comic like Black Cat to folks who I know would eat it up.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Dawgstar posted:

One of the very (very) few times I regret not working at a comic store anymore is not being able to push a good comic like Black Cat to folks who I know would eat it up.

Spoiler Alert: It mostly doesn't work for more than an issue here or there. :(

I love pushing really good little books at work, but actually getting traction is so tough. Books just naturally rot away so books like Black Cat even getting to 12 issues is a pretty incredible accomplishment. At least Marvel is willing to try with stuff like it which I have always really liked about them.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

KaosMachina posted:

"Black Cat Annual #2 coming eventually"
Is it fair to assume that 'eventually' means 'this year' or do words not mean things now

Speaking of Hulk, didn't they just reveal Ross is alive in Cap's latest issue?
Didn't he get his spine ripped out by Carnage after getting up? Did that heal? He doesn't seem to be gamma-boosted, but...
Something something skeleton xylophone fire.

His corpse got spine-ripped. He died in Captain America's book and... I'm not up to speed on that, I'm not sure who did it or if it's even been revealed? But yeah he's back and it will probably have to do with Immortal Hulk's stuff unless it was some super undercover thing and Carnage ripped out an LMD/clone/etc's spine and Ross never died.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 8, 2020

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

TwoPair posted:

His corpse got spine-ripped. He died in Captain America's book and... I'm not up to speed on that, I'm not sure who did it or if it's even been revealed? But yeah he's back and it will probably have to do with Immortal Hulk's stuff unless it was some super undercover thing and Carnage ripped out an LMD/clone/etc's spine and Ross never died.

Considering Ross appeared in Hell, I'm assuming it's going to be an Immortal thing.

I'm guessing the editors would have coordinated this.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I didn't read much stuff with Red Hulk, but was Gamma involved in Ross becoming Red Hulk? If so, that’s your explanation for him coming back.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I didn't read much stuff with Red Hulk, but was Gamma involved in Ross becoming Red Hulk? If so, that’s your explanation for him coming back.

I think it was like a mix of gamma radiation and then for some reason also cosmic rays. It was pretty dumb.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

How Wonderful! posted:

I think it was like a mix of gamma radiation and then for some reason also cosmic rays. It was pretty dumb.

Look, the Inteligensia (the evil version of the Illuminati that even Dr. Doom had to admit were a poor version of the Illuminati and gave up on them.) wanted to build their own Hulk. And as such, decided why just stick to Gamma Rays when you could add in all kinds of extra stuff.

Thus made it red.

I’ve been reading Hulk on Marvel Unlimited so I’m only up to issue 27/28 where Hulk smashes Capatalisim.

But Shadow Base had spent issues with guys whose sole job was to keep looking at General Ross’s grave to see if he at any stage got up.
The power went out due to a fight and when it came back, he very much had the empty grave of all other Gamma users. So however he died (I never read his death. Just him getting depowered by Doc Green and put in jail.) he is back now baby.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The Question IRL posted:

Look, the Inteligensia (the evil version of the Illuminati that even Dr. Doom had to admit were a poor version of the Illuminati and gave up on them.) wanted to build their own Hulk. And as such, decided why just stick to Gamma Rays when you could add in all kinds of extra stuff.

Thus made it red.

I’ve been reading Hulk on Marvel Unlimited so I’m only up to issue 27/28 where Hulk smashes Capatalisim.

But Shadow Base had spent issues with guys whose sole job was to keep looking at General Ross’s grave to see if he at any stage got up.
The power went out due to a fight and when it came back, he very much had the empty grave of all other Gamma users. So however he died (I never read his death. Just him getting depowered by Doc Green and put in jail.) he is back now baby.

He got killed by the Power Elite to frame Cap.

Also, the reason his grave was empty was because he was a Venom host in Circle of Four, it was actually to set up Maximum Carnage. If he got up between then & now, I've no idea. The military apparently took his body?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
To clarify the recent history of Thaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross and ignoring the times he died/came back pre-2000 or so:

He came back basically for the first time in a decade during World War Hulk, and was shown in Jeph Loeb/Ed McGuinness's "Red" Hulk series, investigating the murders Red Hulk was doing.

Then it was revealed that Thunderbolt Ross was IN CAHOOTS with the Red Hulk, but the secret alliance was fracturing. It definitely fractured when Red Hulk murdered Thunderbolt Ross. There was a funeral and everything.

Then TWIST, Thunderbolt Ross WAS the Red Hulk, and the Intelligencia was using a Life Model Decoy of Ross to throw people off the scent as part of... a... plan? None of this matters because Red Hulk/Ross went rogue and tried to become President by I guess Hulking his way into the White House and declaring himself President Hulk.

This plan did not work, and Red Hulk got arrested for treason and whatnot. Captain America let him out to do Hulk stuff to pay his debt to society.

Then right before Secret Wars, Bruce Banner got supersmart because of Extremis and went around and depowered all of the other Hulks in the short Gerry Duggan run of the book. A depowered Thunderbolt Ross can't do Hulk Stuff to pay his debt to society, so he got thrown back in jail for treason.

Then during Secret Empire, he helped fight against Captain America's hostile takeover of the country, which I guess canceled out his treason because he was fighting against super treason. This cleared his name, and allowed him to work with a secret cabal called the Power Elite in TNC's Captain America. But the shady Power Elite didn't trust him, so they assassinated him and framed Captain America for it.

Meanwhile in Absolute Carnage, Carnage is eating the spines of anyone who boned with a symbiote because special symbiote power soul codices live in people's spines and whoever eats the most spines becomes Super Saiyan Symbiote or something. Because Ross bonded with a symbiote in the Circle of Four crossover, Carnage dug up Ross's corpse and ate his spine.

But also meanwhile, in TNC's Captain America it's revealed that Thunderbolt Ross faked his own assassination (probably again, with a Life Model Decoy) to help Captain America's crew take down the Power Elite.

So maybe Carnage ate a LMD spine? Maybe it was a Life Model Decoy that was Red Hulk during the Circle of Four crossover? Maybe Gamma Immortality? Also do Life Model Decoys have like spines and blood and guts?

Also I believe the "and also they used Cosmic Rays, not just Gamma Radiation to make Red Hulk" was a retcon literally to patch over the fact that Thunderbolt Ross's mustache disappears when he becomes the Hulk.

There was a whole thing in an interview where someone complained about this and Jeph Loeb got really indigant and said something to the effect of "okay, so if people are mad about Thunderbolt Ross's mustache disappearing when he turns into the Hulk, let me ask you this: Ben Grimm has hair, right? Does the Thing have hair? Where does Ben Grimm's hair go when he turns into the Thing? It sounds like you shouldn't be mad at me, you should be mad at Stan Lee and Jack Kirby but I never heard anyone complain about that, kind of hypocritical don't you think? Maybe you should examine if you're a real fan if you hate Stan and Jack!"

It was quickly pointed out that the Thing is not a Hulk and that there are dozens of instances of Bruce Banner/Rick Jones/Jennifer Walters/etc. having their hair length/facial hair/etc. reflected in their "Hulk" forms, from long haired Rick Hulk to Shaved Head Bruce Hulk to beardy Maestro Hulk etc. etc. etc.

"A ha", said someone at Marvel, "but what if Cosmic Rays make hair disappear, and Red Hulk had Cosmic Rays? Didn't think of that, did you?"

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Aug 8, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Didn't Loeb insert himself into Hulk stuff after World War Hulk blew up, but it wasn't worth his time until then?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Dawgstar posted:

Didn't Loeb insert himself into Hulk stuff after World War Hulk blew up, but it wasn't worth his time until then?
JMS and Loeb pitched World War Hulk as the big 2006 Marvel crossover event, but it was way more basic "Hulk gets shot into space, takes over all of space off-panel, and comes back with an invading force of a million Hulks! The Fantastic Four fight Skrull Hulks! The X-Men fight Shi'ar Hulks! Thor fights Saturn Men Hulks! Daredevil fights... flips through OHOTMUDE appendix Rigellian Hulks!

A bunch of people were not enthused for this story and Millar/Bendis counter-pitched Civil War, which is obviously what they went with. JMS passive aggressively bitched about Civil War in all of his tie-in books, and Planet/World War Hulk rolled downhill to Greg Pak, who had basically just written some fill-ins and mini-series prior to the assignment. If it wasn't going to be the event of the year, Loeb wasn't interested in it.

Once World War Hulk was a big hit, Loeb remembered how he'd wanted to do Hulk after all, and obviously his run was a murder mystery with a ton of big name guest stars, because that's mostly what Loeb writes.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Edge & Christian posted:

A depowered Thunderbolt Ross can't do Hulk Stuff to pay his debt to society, so he got thrown back in jail for treason.

I forgot about this, hahaha. It felt like such a rude thing to do, even though providing him amnesty in exchange for Hulk smashing was silly in the first place. Ross pretty much got put back in jail because of extenuating circumstances beyond his control.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Edge & Christian posted:

anyone who boned with a symbiote

:laugh:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

Thus made it red.

Intelligentsia was from Dark Reign, right? Why the gently caress did Bendis want to make The Hood a thing? You've got Norman Osborne who's been put in charge of the replacement for SHIELD, Dr. Doom who actually conquered the world once and gave it up because he was bored, Namor who actually rule over 75 percent of the globe, Emma Frost super powerful ruthless telepath, near indestructible with the ear of the Mutant community which contains every powerful super hero that isn't an Avenger.

And The Hood, a guy with a cape from Harry Potter and a couple of guns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

Then during Secret Empire, he helped fight against Captain America's hostile takeover of the country, which I guess canceled out his treason because he was fighting against super treason. This cleared his name, and allowed him to work with a secret cabal called the Power Elite in TNC's Captain America. But the shady Power Elite didn't trust him, so they assassinated him and framed Captain America for it.

There's legal precedent for that, see Norman Osborne and HAMMER.