Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

poverty goat posted:

The problem is the market was flooded and cbd is now dirt cheap. You can get a qp of flower under $50, as a consumer. It's just not profitable the way people were probably hoping a few years ago. Imo the only reason to be growing cbd hemp right now is if you're sure legalization is right around the corner and you want to have an established operation ready to plant weed the day it happens.

CBD isn't the cure-all that everyone pretended it was, so sales dropped off. Besides, you're going to plant CBD plants differently than hemp for fiber. CBD plants want more space between the plants for optimal light, fiber plants can be row-cropped because the buds aren't worth gently caress all. So if you see empty row-crop fields, then the fiber market isn't selling like they hoped, versus patch fields with decent space between the plants for CBD production.

If there's empty fields it might be because you can get 2-3 harvests in a year so they might be in plow/plant phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I'm in the Northeast and there was only one harvest, and it was all definitely for oil. But yeah there was a year of seeing it in a couple places and hearing they made bank, then a year of seeing it everywhere, then nada.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, it's not an easy crop to work. I grew up on a grain farm, and would love to do some hemp farming (all the family land was leased and mortgaged to death lol), but there's not a steady enough market for it to make it consistently profitable. Also I don't have land. A lot of people ate their crops last year.

At this point with hemp farming, just opening the door to having 5 acres for hemp on a larger grain operation would be ideal, but then you have different equipment to plant and harvest with, which people can't afford with such an unstable commodity price. Grain prices haven't been returning well for smaller operations (less than a thousand acres, but it's hard to make money unless you have 3k acres). So sinking a bunch of money into switching crops to something you're unfamiliar with probably isn't a great idea. Then losing your rear end on it come harvest because the buzz wore off society. I get the sense plenty of farmers feel burnt by it, but they made the choice to pursue it and for some that means eating the cost of their unstable commodity. It isn't like row-cropping corn and soybeans, it's going to take adaptation time and if an independent grain farmer has 1000+ acres, starting a small fiber operation with 5 acres would be the easiest step, leasing the harvesting equipment and expecting to eat a year or two of it before any stabilization might occur. Oil plants are usually hand harvest, but that has its own complications.

There's also a lack of local processors for it, so it's usually bundled and shipped to larger operations, often hundreds of miles away in some parts of the country. It's still very wild west-ish and will be for probably another decade. I'd love to homestead somewhere and have an acre or three of it, but I'd also love and acre or three of weed too.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

Evil Bob posted:

I’m just gonna jump into the thread here to say that yesterday I went to the store with the purpose of finding some less strong weed for week day evenings, since the flower I have sends me loving astral traveling when I lay down to bed.

Well they showed me some nice 1:1 flower but then they showed me some snoops dream that looked and smelled like OG kush from way back and well long story short I walked out with the snoops dream and while it’s easier to fall asleep with, it ain’t by much :lol:

Related to this, I think: I recently brought home a 1/4, total, of two different sativa strains. My primary use is sleep aid, but with having so much more free time this year I thought I'd change things up and go for something that leans toward an "energetic" feel. My anxiety went up and my sleep was awful. I "suffered" through the affects for a few weeks before I could make another pharmacy run. I've always been an indicia man and going back made a huge difference.(im behind on this terpene business so any conversation would be appreciated)

Now I've got left over weed I don't ever feel like smoking so it got me wondering, what if I cut it with some cbd cannabis to take the edge off? I plan on asking the next time I place an order. They have some 1:1's and a 15:1 I think. Any goony thoughts?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Yes if you get some CBD on there, if it was me it really softens the sativa edge and helps improve proprioception enough so its not uncomfortable

You can buy cbd distillate online it's pretty useful and you can add it to basically whatever else you've got or vape it straight

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I always do a personal blend with a nice chill Indica (Edison City Lights and Houseplant Indica are my current go to here in :canada:) and then 1:1 with some good high THC Sativa. Once you dial in your blend it gets real nice and chill.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

cbd seems to work really great for my anxiety. i was taking cbd supplements and smoking cbd bud that i bought, and taking extracts for a while. by far the best cbd is if you grow a cbd plant yourself like you would grow a weed plant. it's crazy effective and mine taste like oranges and sage.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

also based on giving it to my friends who don't smoke a lot, cbd seems to cure people when they get anxiety from being high on thc.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Earwicker posted:

are you sure it isn't just like, crappy weed? kind of weird to assume a dealer would switch out for cbd strains (which can be just as expensive as thc strains) instead of the normal age old trick of just selling someone lovely old weed

It's possible but it would have to be like, the worst weed on god's green earth. I haven't smoked in about 5 months and the effects of this stuff was wearing off within half an hour. After this much of a t-break you'd have to imagine that even lovely weed would get me popping off somewhere. Also, I noticed that it did have some strong effects in helping my anxiety, so that's why I think it wasn't just crappy weed.

Anyways my dealer came back apologizing big time and saying he'd get me something way better, so regardless we have a happy ending to this story. :toot:

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
I wish black market strains weren't just made up because this stuff is pretty good but I have no idea what it is.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Agrinja posted:

I wish black market strains weren't just made up because this stuff is pretty good but I have no idea what it is.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I'd love to homestead somewhere and have an acre or three of it, but I'd also love and acre or three of weed too.

Cheers to that!

Agrinja posted:

it's weed

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

Mozi posted:

it's weed

Yeah but I want more just like it.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
better hope you find a seed in it then!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Agrinja posted:

Yeah but I want more just like it.

this is my problem with any weed

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

the main thing cbd cures for me is horrible back muscle spasms. thankfully i only get them rarely because it is incredibly painful. however if i smoke or vape some cbd right when it is starting, it just shuts the spasms down instantly. when that happens i understand why people call it a "miracle drug" because its amazing how fast it works and how much pain i was in before i figured that out.

its also very good for flights imo, but im not getting on any planes for a while!

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

I ordered the cheapest weed off of the BC government website for the first time (THC Biomed of each strain) and its really good?!?
Online reviews of it are all over the place but I'm impressed with how strong it is for what I paid.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Earwicker posted:

the main thing cbd cures for me is horrible back muscle spasms. thankfully i only get them rarely because it is incredibly painful. however if i smoke or vape some cbd right when it is starting, it just shuts the spasms down instantly. when that happens i understand why people call it a "miracle drug" because its amazing how fast it works and how much pain i was in before i figured that out.

its also very good for flights imo, but im not getting on any planes for a while!

What makes CBD shine is that you can safely and pleasantly get it into your blood fast, via smoking/vaping or tinctures, where with most pharnaceuticals you're going to be waiting a while for a pill to be absorbed slowly from your digestive tract. There might be better drugs out there but you'd have to crush the pills and smoke them to get relief as quickly as a fat bowl of CBD.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Entorwellian posted:

I ordered the cheapest weed off of the BC government website for the first time (THC Biomed of each strain) and its really good?!?
Online reviews of it are all over the place but I'm impressed with how strong it is for what I paid.

There is a website in Canada where you can order the cheapest weed. I had not had the situation in Canada condensed down and shown to me that simply before.

It...it comes in the mail? You have to understand how insane all of that seems to an American

e I feel dumb, I must have known about this on some level

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 7, 2020

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Inspector Hound posted:

There is a website in Canada where you can order the cheapest weed. I had not had the situation in Canada condensed down and shown to me that simply before.

It...it comes in the mail? You have to understand how insane all of that seems to an American

I am also pretty astounded

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Inspector Hound posted:

The USPS is the single greatest drug trafficker in world history

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Yeah that is true, just that it’s legal i suppose.

Also how fast Canada moves on just letting people have weed. Illinois and Michigan have legalized but there are just so many stupid parts of it.

Like everyone is finally opening up medical dispensaries in northern Michigan but no Rec.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Lol Illinois. Can't even grow but at least you can go to a dispensary. To think I even briefly thought about moving back there from Colorado. Lol.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Yeah my buddy lives in Chicago and was thinking about growing a plant. Then they say you gotta have a med card. Lol what the gently caress, I’m very glad I bought in Michigan rather than Illinois. I almost felt stupid cause Illinois legalized it right after I bought a place in Michigan, then that news dropped.

Now I get to live in a 12 plant world.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, folks I know back home in IL aren't letting the law dissuade them from growing, but it's rural as gently caress out there. There's not enough law enforcement to do gently caress all about it.

They're not going to let you homegrow in IL until they've gotten every penny of tax out of it first. You can grow six in CO for rec use and twelve under a standard medical card (half in veg half in flower, so 3/3 and 6/6), up to 99 if you want to pay more for your medical review and that doesn't guarantee a 99 count, might walk out with 30.

I'm not leaving Colorado for a long time.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Yeah I wanna settle in Michigan and eventually start a medical grow. Basically just learning as much as I can now.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

I think it’s something like for every person with a medical card you can get to sign up you get to grow another 12 plants up to 5 people not including your own personal 12. So that’s 6 peeps at 72 plants.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

New 17 inch ice bong + Arizer Extreme vape = post covid compatible THC abuse.

:420:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
one jar just finished curing, two plants just finished drying, cutting another in a couple of days and the next generation is already looking strong

dealt with some crap this round - aphids, spider mites, and mice that keep chewing my water lines - but at the end of the day it's all ok

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Harton posted:

I think it’s something like for every person with a medical card you can get to sign up you get to grow another 12 plants up to 5 people not including your own personal 12. So that’s 6 peeps at 72 plants.

Yeah, in Colorado you'd have to classify as a business eventually with scale, I'm sure it'll be the same in MI soon enough.

Honestly, if they want to tax us proportionally to grow at home, just make people get a loving permit to grow at home. Like, $100 annually, up to ten plants at a time. Put the county clerk's office on it, pay someone to sort that poo poo with the tax revenue generated. If someone wants to be non-compliant, modest fines until they realize it's cheaper just to get the drat permit. Offer discounted fees scaled with income. Poverty level, $1 for the sheet of paper.

But that system would quickly get hosed up with higher fees. No one would follow it and they'd just eventually ban home grow again because of the non-compliance rate. Bitch all you want about the government knowing you grow weed but they already know where you live, what you drive, and probably where you work. It's all on paper at the clerk's office, same as a hunting license in some places, which are generally seasonally or annual too. Charge a modest fee and make people hang a piece of paper in their grow rooms if you really loving need the $100, and Illinois does need that money.

Either way, gently caress going back there. Ain't got no mountains no how.

I spent time in TN too.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Aug 7, 2020

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

've lived a thousand times. I found out what it means to be GBS.

poverty goat posted:

The USPS is the single greatest drug trafficker in world history

I love the fed ex guy because hes a drug dealer and he doesnt even know it.

Getting weed in the mail (personal amounts) sounds nice, but being in a legal state I am perfectly happy with walking a couple blocks, or driving across town to see, smell, and select my bud before purchase

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

A lot of them know it actually

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
FedEx/UPS aren't as secure as USPS. They're private services, they can open your packages if the suspect the slightest thing. Postal needs to get a warrant to open the package. Volume plus an overwhelmed work force and a lack of fucks all around equals your mail man is a drug dealer. E: trafficker, not dealer.

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

I figured that Mitch Hedberg joke was pretty ubiquitous.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I've got a friend from Georgia who buys blueberry chocolate edibles and takes them on flights.

Last time I flew from SFO we all had to walk past a cop with a dog. If I'd had edibles on me, what would have happened? Is it like "throw those away" or "now you're a felon"?

Also I thought Indica was sativa and vice versa. I wondered why I got paranoid a lot. Now I enjoy feeling chill.

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

redreader posted:

I've got a friend from Georgia who buys blueberry chocolate edibles and takes them on flights.

Last time I flew from SFO we all had to walk past a cop with a dog. If I'd had edibles on me, what would have happened? Is it like "throw those away" or "now you're a felon"?

Also I thought Indica was sativa and vice versa. I wondered why I got paranoid a lot. Now I enjoy feeling chill.

From what I've heard SFO and OAK are pretty chill about weed coming in and going out, but I still wouldn't feel comfortable flying with it. I'm guessing the blueberries are the Kiva chocolate covered blueberries? Those are the loving best and I miss them so god drat much since moving out of the bay.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Harton posted:

Yeah my buddy lives in Chicago and was thinking about growing a plant. Then they say you gotta have a med card. Lol what the gently caress, I’m very glad I bought in Michigan rather than Illinois. I almost felt stupid cause Illinois legalized it right after I bought a place in Michigan, then that news dropped.

Now I get to live in a 12 plant world.
I have a green thumb and have been toying with the idea of growing here in MI, but the prospect is daunting. Not as easy as taking a cutting or planting a seed. Don't you need a poo poo-ton of specialized equipment?

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

Hirayuki posted:

I have a green thumb and have been toying with the idea of growing here in MI, but the prospect is daunting. Not as easy as taking a cutting or planting a seed. Don't you need a poo poo-ton of specialized equipment?

Come to the grow thread, we'll hook you up with the info. You need some basic stuff but it's nothing weird and only as fancy as you want to make it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

redreader posted:

the tsa/dogs in domestic airports really don't give a poo poo about things like personal amounts of weed, edibles etc especially now that it's legal in so much of the country. i mean if you are at SFO you could very easily be flying to LA or Seattle or Denver or Boston, all major destinations where weed is perfectly legal in which case you wouldn't even be "smuggling" anything, they don't have time to check that poo poo and don't care, it's not what they are looking for so unless you are blatantly moving a large amount you'll be fine in most cases. i dont think they'd even make you throw it away these days.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

JOIN US!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3277879&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=350