Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I'm honestly excited about more storage space than anything.

Weird question, but is there a resource somewhere that directly suggests the best 4 hero decks to make out of base set? Basically I want to print out cards for the remaining hero, and want to choose that based on what is left from the base deck. I know there are specific deck lists I can look up, but that's in a vacuum rather than considering what is left in the box when building one

Or maybe I just netdeck all of the decks Idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Shadow225 posted:

I'm honestly excited about more storage space than anything.

Wait. How can I get more storage space? Aaa

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I think I might be checking out of Marvel Champions? I dunno.

I really enjoy the game and was excited to get in on one of FFG's co-op LCG's at the ground floor, but the pace of releases (largely because of Covid and FFG's godawful supply chain to Europe) has turned me off a little bit. I'm not ready to pre-order yet another big box expansion when my poo poo ton of other pre-orders still hasn't been fulfilled (still missing Ms. Marvel, Hulk, Wrecking Crew, and the first expansion which hasn't even shipped yet).

I dunno. It's a lot to ask for me to shell out money now for a pre-order that'll maybe be filled 9-12 months from now when I still have so much poo poo I haven't received. On the other hand I kinda don't want to "fall behind" either (because if I don't preorder it, I just flat out won't be able to find it anywhere), but I guess that's the nerd Fallacy of Missing Out coming into play.

In other old-LCG-that-I'm-slowly-trying-to-play-catchup-on news, my online shop of choice finally, after god knows how long, got a single copy each of The Steward's Fear and Assault on Osgiliath for LOTR, which I promptly bought within minutes of the store page going live (thanks email notifications). Still missing Druadan Forest and then I've got that cycle complete.

Drone fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 30, 2020

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Well, Hulk doesn’t release until next Friday (I think that’s even true of places like the EU that were further ahead) and they definitely had a really bad supply problem to begin with. They said on stream today that it’s been their most popular LCG ever and that definitely played into it, and I think they’ve gotten better about releases because I haven’t had a problems getting packs since Wrecking Crew and I haven’t seen as widespread complaints about releases since Thor. That’s odd that you haven’t seen Miss Marvel because I’ve seen her come back into print.

If you like the game, I would suggest wait until September and see what the big box expansion does for you. If you don’t like it, sell the cards and move on and cancel any preorders you have open. If you do, keep on going. The supply issues were incredibly bad, but I definitely think things have got way better.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Drone posted:

Man it's weird that they announce the second big box expansion before shipping the first big box expansion.

We would have had Red Skull by now if it wasn't for the pandemic... It looks like they are trying to slip back into their original schedule so that's nice.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

https://twitter.com/FFGames/status/1289999491408379904

Free Print and Play Ronan modular encounter set. Looks to be the hardest modular set by far so far. I probably won't be able to play/print this for a long time but looks very cool.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Came at the perfect time, as I just finished making a list of things I wanted to print extra copies of. Can hopefully throw this into the same project, though I haven't swapped out modular enemies yet

PatentPending
Nov 27, 2007

[1950s eel-based dad joke]
https://www.plaidhatgames.com/news/2020/08/06/ashes-reborn/

They’re resurrecting Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn if they can get 1000 subscribers.

Bad name aside, I really liked Ashes. It’s a fun game that doesn’t demand too much from you. Deck building exists, but each set is a pre-made deck if you don’t want to. Expansions aren’t too quick to come out, and they’re not that expensive.

Frankly, However much I’d like it to be otherwise I’m too busy to keep up with Lot5R or something like that. Ashes gives me a game with a lower commitment requirement, and I’m happy for its (hopeful) comeback.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Oh man, I got right into Ashes as it was dying. The draft nature of the game makes it super fun for a board game night for people who aren't into LCGs. This is incredible news.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
It's very cool to see Ashes returning unfortunately last time I looked into Covenant subscriptions their overseas shipping options were extremely expensive. I'd also need to do a ton of catch up to get all the Phoenixborn since I played. It's for sure a great game though and I look forward to that and Summoner Wars coming back.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
So with Phoenixborn 1.5, is that only a core refresh? It sounds like this is a soft reboot?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Wait, so if you have no Ashes stuff now do you need to buy the old stuff and this upgrade kit or just the kit? From what I remember of Ashes, I think I'd like it and would be able to get others to play it but I'm not about to drop for all the old stuff.

PatentPending
Nov 27, 2007

Yeah, what they're selling here is...
1) A kit to turn your old stuff into the new stuff
2) New expansions every few months.

So you'd need at least the old core set plus the conversion.

If this became a big success they might release a v1.5 core set, but tbh I wouldn't hold my breath.

It sounds like the focus is on getting old players back into it, rather than getting new players on board - at least for now.

It might be worth checking around for the old core set if you're interested though, it might be going cheap? There were only 2 expansions that came with 'load-bearing' new stuff; 2 new sets of dice which they might use with upcoming new decks. And I imagine you can buy those dice separately, or just sub in whatever dice you're not using that game.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Plaidhat is selling everything but the OG Core Set for half price as a catchup

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Chaotic Flame posted:

Wait, so if you have no Ashes stuff now do you need to buy the old stuff and this upgrade kit or just the kit? From what I remember of Ashes, I think I'd like it and would be able to get others to play it but I'm not about to drop for all the old stuff.

You’d want at least a core and the two deluxe expansions to get all the different dice you’ll need.

CitizenKeen posted:

So with Phoenixborn 1.5, is that only a core refresh? It sounds like this is a soft reboot?

They went back and looked at some broken or cumbersome aspects of the game and are retooling it to play better. The reboot has revised cards for like 30% of the 1.0 cards. Those cards include the core set and other expansion cards. Basically anything from 1.0 with text that would be affected by the changed rules is being revised and included in the upgrade pack.

PaybackJack posted:

It's very cool to see Ashes returning unfortunately last time I looked into Covenant subscriptions their overseas shipping options were extremely expensive. I'd also need to do a ton of catch up to get all the Phoenixborn since I played. It's for sure a great game though and I look forward to that and Summoner Wars coming back.

I don’t know what the normal international shipping is but they did say the shipping will be higher than normal for the first subscription pack because the number of cards on the upgrade is pretty high. So a regular quarterly expansion would be cheaper to ship.

PatentPending
Nov 27, 2007

Most importantly, will they be releasing more Orrick Gilstream cards? He’s the only guy I don’t have.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Speaking of pvp card games, what are my options if I want a good, pvp, lcg deckbuilder game that is still in production? It seems most of "the greats" have been cancelled, or are close to (Netrunner, Conquest, Game of Thrones...). I've looked at L5R, but that seems a bit convoluted and long for what I'm looking for in a deckbuilder.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I can't think of any other than L5R and (thankfully, now) Ashes.

Doomtown is kind of fun, and still kinda sorta in production.

And I wouldn't discount Nisei Netrunner; it's really rock solid.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

PatentPending posted:

Most importantly, will they be releasing more Orrick Gilstream cards? He’s the only guy I don’t have.

The Plaid Hat article implies the promo Phoenixborn cards are being retired because those characters will be getting full decks soon

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CitizenKeen posted:

Doomtown is kind of fun, and still kinda sorta in production.

It's properly in production, just at a much slower pace.

Also Shadowfist is gearing up for the next release.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jedit posted:

Also Shadowfist is gearing up for the next release.

It pleases me to know that game's still going, even if I can't imagine what it must be like now.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
My friend had to bail on me yesterday so ran Hulk through a couple of solo games to see how he would hold up. I thought he would be even worse than Thor considering he has zero thwart, but it really seems they thought about that with the cards that come bundled in with the aggression aspect this time. The allies are all good, Brawn being a 3 cost with 5 HP and that he removes 1 threat when he attacks means you can have him chip away at tough status cards or chip damage minions or the villain makes him invaluable for helping manage threat. Sentry has high price to pay (another encounter card) but with 2 THW and 3 ATK he awesome to help kill minions and thwart. She-Hulk ally is probably weakest cause you can only Thwart twice and then she's gone but it still helps in a pinch. Since Hulk's ability is that you toss your hand at end of your turn, you're really focused on just making every turn count as much as possible. With other heroes I'll sometimes make a less optimal play to maximize my next turn but that's just not possible with Hulk. The one thing that sucks is when you draw into "You'll pay for that" (remove up to 5 THW dependent on how much damage you take) because if you get it as Bruce Banner, it's a dead card and it sucks knowing you could have dealt with a scheme but can't. He ended up being way more fun that I thought he would be. It's just a race to kill villain before scheme outpaces you. It's all about Hulk smash when you can because during solo play that pretty much is a one shot to the next turn in some cases.

I'm excited for the new big box expansion. Where would personally rate the heroes they've released so far? My list would look like this

1) Dr. Strange
2) Captain America
3) Black Widow
4) Miss Marvel
5) She-Hulk
6) Hulk
7) Spider-Man
8) Captain Marvel
9) Iron Man
10) Black Panther
11) Thor

I know Iron Man is really good, but no matter his aspect it feels like you're always just relying on his core cards to get his reactor (or suit?) so you can double stand and then use all his tech. He just never felt fun to play as, but he is strong. If it was purely strength list he'd be near top. Black Panther is low for same reason. His ability sucks (oooooh retaliate. Awesome) and just wanting to Wakanda Forever doesn't feel satisfying. Thor is at the bottom cause he sucks, weak hand size you need to build to be good, and while his ability is amazing. His threat reducers mill the villain deck so much you end up overwhelmed on threat. The allies he came with sucked as well, Hercules was too high a cost to realistically want to play. If you're that swarmed with minions you have problems. I want to get another Hulk pack to see how he would do with better allies and threat help, but for now Thor was easily the worst hero I've played. Just no fun playing as him.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I haven't played Thor yet (own him, but... you know) and don't have Strange at all but that seems pretty fair from what I can tell. I've run Black Panther a bunch of times but just can't figure out how to make him sing, no matter the aspect. I like the highest ranked ones feel like their Alter-Egos matter as much as their Superhero side. Kamala and She-Hulk both stand out here.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Is that ranking based on solo play? Does Thor still take the bottom place if you're ranking for 3p-4p?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Covenant posted that they’re at 90% of what they need for Ashes to get going again.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

CitizenKeen posted:

Is that ranking based on solo play? Does Thor still take the bottom place if you're ranking for 3p-4p?

Mainly 2 player as that’s what I play the most. When you hit 3-4 I think he would move up to be near the top half for sure as you would have other heroes able to cover for weakness way better.

Thor still sucks at even 2 though. He takes way to long to setup and get going and you’re really relying on your co-op player to keep you into the game until you get it so that your engine means you can finally make good plays. Hulks hand limit makes sense because he’s stupid powerful and can hit for 13 damage by playing a single card. It hurts Thor because he doesn’t have the same damage output and if you flip to get better card draw you lose the possible card draw of minion. Defender of the Nine Realms as mentioned, can mill the villain deck way to hard for only 3 threat and if you pull a really tough minion you’ve now other issues. Plus the allies he came with was way too high cost for what they did. With the new thwarting allies from Hulk that could really improve him in aggression.

My friend tried him as Justice and while he did thwart better he still just wasn’t as good as any other hero you could have played. Once I get a 2nd hulk pack (I don’t like to take apart and rebuild decks so I bought a 2nd Dr.Strange and getting a 2nd hulk pack cause they have excellent allies and some awesome other cards) I’m gonna try Thor again and see how he does with better aggression cards against thwarting.

Seeing all the upcoming heroes I don’t think there looks like a really bad one (Scarlet Witch seems iffy) so I think this is rare case of them not playtesting enough for 1-2 players with him. Honestly should have just given him a 5/6 hand and replace Asgard with something else and would have solved most of his issues.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Aaaaand funded: "Aug. 9, 12:42PM CST; We made it. We have 100% of the players necessary for Ashes to be Reborn!"

Source: https://teamcovenant.com/product/ashes-rise-phoenixborn-1-5-reborn-product-subscription

PatentPending
Nov 27, 2007

That was quick! This bodes well, I hope. Since Netrunner died Ashes was the only thing that really grabbed me.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Picked up the core set of Ashes. Anybody have suggestions for 2 decks (of the 6 starter ones) that are both interesting to play and fairly balanced against each other?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
So after playing Hulk a couple times in multiplayer and my friend using his own Hulk deck in a game as well, the general consensus among us was “Hulk good. Hulk REALLY good.” He definitely needs a little bit of setup and a good sense of when to play conservatively and aggressively, but he can really just open floodgates of damage. We faced off against hard mode Risky Business Green Goblin, and at the end I was able to push out 24 damage in one round thanks to allies, hulk smash, and another card. He’s got okay thwarting as well with his sub orbital leaps, allies, and basic cards.

So today I picked up a second hulk pack because I wanted more of those allies to try and build myself a decent Thor deck. Using the new allies, new basic thwarts, and some new aggression stuff i built a new deck and faced off solo against Rhino. I failed the first time and rebuilt with a little more thwarting in mind, and easily won. He definitely is a good bit better on being able to handle thwarting now because of the new cards. My key issue is that defenders of the nine realms is a bloody poo poo card. You have a chance of rushing through sometimes 10+ cards in the villains deck super advancing the threat level, and if you managed to not pull a minion you super boned yourself because now you’ve burned the encounter deck AND get no threat removal.

I want to get this deck to multiplayer and see how much better it will fair compared to last time. He does seem completely awful now which is a start.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Ant-man article is up. Seems like a fun hero that will swap a lot like Ms. Marvel, but has 3 options instead of 2. Also some crazy good leadership allies/upgrades in the pack.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Hall of heroes has a bunch of spoilers for the Rise of Red Skull pack and the heroes looks super awesome as well. I’m incredibly excited for Spider-Woman.

The heroes are all so much more varied and well designed that I honestly don’t ever feel like going to back to the original core heroes as they’re abilities just lack the fun of the newer ones.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
So to make sure I'm understanding the rule correctly if say a friend and I wanted to play Captain Marvel and Spider-Woman, we could not play the ally while the other is in hero form correct? It seems weird to me that they would limit 2 of the early characters like that when there is so many characters to choose from. Also how will Taskmaster work with Black Widow? Will she just put only her side scheme into play instead?

Losem fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 24, 2020

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Losem posted:

So to make sure I'm understanding the rule correctly if say a friend and I wanted to play Captain Marvel and Spider-Woman, we could not play the ally while the other is in hero form correct? It seems weird to me that they would limit 2 of the early characters like that when there is so many characters to choose from. Also how will Taskmaster work with Black Widow? Will she just put only her side scheme into play instead?
For part 1: You cannot play the ally at all. I guess that's why a lot of signature allies give a wild resource, but it is frustrating. It's going to happen again soon, with Ant-Man/Wasp and Quicksilver/scarlet witch. For those latter pairs its because there is a team up card that can only be played if both heroes are in play. So it is easier to play this team up card if you're with another player who is playing that hero, but if not you can still bring the other character in via ally. I hope Spider-Woman/Captain Marvel get a similar team-up card, but I don't know if that will happen. It's only 1 card, so while it does suck, it's not the end of the world. You could theoretically play a different version of Spider-Woman (Gwen Stacey) or Captain Marvel (Mar-Vell) if they ever have ally/hero forms.
Part 2: I actually was looking this up when Loki got announced for nemesis. I thought it meant that Loki as a hero/ally could never come. However looking at shadows of the past, the last sentence is "If your nemesis minion doesn't come in to play this way, this card gains surge." So your nemesis scheme comes in to play, Taskmaster can't enter play at all (doesn't even go to discard), you shuffle the rest of the cards in, and then you surge Shadows of the Past.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Fritzler posted:

For part 1: You cannot play the ally at all. I guess that's why a lot of signature allies give a wild resource, but it is frustrating. It's going to happen again soon, with Ant-Man/Wasp and Quicksilver/scarlet witch. For those latter pairs its because there is a team up card that can only be played if both heroes are in play. So it is easier to play this team up card if you're with another player who is playing that hero, but if not you can still bring the other character in via ally. I hope Spider-Woman/Captain Marvel get a similar team-up card, but I don't know if that will happen. It's only 1 card, so while it does suck, it's not the end of the world. You could theoretically play a different version of Spider-Woman (Gwen Stacey) or Captain Marvel (Mar-Vell) if they ever have ally/hero forms.
Part 2: I actually was looking this up when Loki got announced for nemesis. I thought it meant that Loki as a hero/ally could never come. However looking at shadows of the past, the last sentence is "If your nemesis minion doesn't come in to play this way, this card gains surge." So your nemesis scheme comes in to play, Taskmaster can't enter play at all (doesn't even go to discard), you shuffle the rest of the cards in, and then you surge Shadows of the Past.

Yeah, the ally just becomes a resource at that point. It sucks but it’s a way that ensures all allies have ability to become heroes, and you can still have a ton of other allies in a deck to make up for the loss of one. Hawkeye’s signature ally is in an even worse position for players since other mockingbird can slip into any deck.

As far as the second point. That’s right on the money. If villain Taskmaster is already in play, minion won’t come out and card just surges.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Full spoiler list for hero and villain cards is up at hall of heroes. Spider-Woman looks crazy good and I can’t wait to try her out.

Hawkeye also looks pretty good, but I think Spider-Woman gonna lead to some crazy fun deck builds where Hawkeye is a bit more straightforward but his arrows all are crazy good.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

The Black Stones posted:

Full spoiler list for hero and villain cards is up at hall of heroes. Spider-Woman looks crazy good and I can’t wait to try her out.

Hawkeye also looks pretty good, but I think Spider-Woman gonna lead to some crazy fun deck builds where Hawkeye is a bit more straightforward but his arrows all are crazy good.
I want to build a Spider-Woman deck where you try to pump up ally She-Hulk's HP up as much as possible. Will need the new Ant-man deck, and it will be aggerssion/leadership but seems pretty fun.

Will either proxy Reinforced Suit to use that Spider-Woman deck for my first play through of Rise of the Red Skull, or maybe I'll start with protection Iron Man. Haven't played Iron Man yet and the tech upgrades you unlock will let you switch to hero mode just a little bit earlier as iron man which is nice.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Fritzler posted:

Will either proxy Reinforced Suit to use that Spider-Woman deck for my first play through of Rise of the Red Skull

My search-fu is weak. What set is Reinforced Suit in?

Found it. Ant-Man.

CitizenKeen fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 1, 2020

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
FFG strikes again. My local store told that distributor for FFG didn’t ship it this week so they won’t get it till next week. Well that ruined my Friday plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
So I got to play a few games with Spider Woman, and she feels crazy good almost broken. Her pre built might be the best yet. It just felt like I would always play at least 2 events and always be at least 3 across the board. I'd just block with that and use the aggression cards to deal damage and then her glider to ready up and take an actual swing.