Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Lol. That last ineffectual lil toot from the extinguisher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Why are the cabbages not on a chute down the middle? They would auto-feed when the previous cabbage falls away.

edit: coconuts?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

insta posted:

Why are the cabbages not on a chute down the middle? They would auto-feed when the previous cabbage falls away.

edit: coconuts?

Thems coconuts dawg

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Danger cabbage.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That feeble squirt at the end makes the entire video.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
if that coconut machine had a foot pedal it would be safe.

and by that i mean it would operate like the gas pedal of a car and get it up to 1000 rpm or whatever for the real pros

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

aphid_licker posted:

Wonder how many warehousehavers are currently taking a long hard look at their inventories

https://twitter.com/BaxtiyarGoran/status/1291699949978169347
I drove past Mobile AL which has a large port area on Wednesday night. Usually there are a few lights on when I drive by. Wednesday, ALL of the lights were on.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Armored cabbage.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

I drove past Mobile AL which has a large port area on Wednesday night. Usually there are a few lights on when I drive by. Wednesday, ALL of the lights were on.

Trying to think if a massive AN explosion would make AL better or worse.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Sauerkraut becomes danger cabbage after a day of internal bio-processing.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Memento posted:

I think that's the difference between critical and prompt critical, where you get the blue flash and the incredibly painful death but no boom.

The blue flash (from air ionization) is also prompt critical.

When you have a fission reaction, some neutrons come flying out of if right away. These are prompt neutrons. More neutrons come flying out of it from subsequent decay of the daughter products, but that takes a while, on the order of some miliseconds to seconds or even minutes. Those are delayed neutrons. This delay is what makes nuclear power plant control feasible: you arrange your reactor such that the reaction is subcritical based on the prompt neutrons, and it's only the delayed neutrons that bring it to criticality and supercriticality. "Prompt critical" means that your reaction is critical based only on the prompt neutrons. For bombs that's what you want, for nuclear reactors it's contraindicated.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Criticality gets you that charming robin's egg blue cherenkov glow, prompt criticality does that, plus violently self-disassembles anything involved with it.

You only get Cherenkov radiation when charged particles travel faster than light in a medium. The speed of light in air is close enough to the speed of light in vacuum as makes no difference, the blue glow observed during these criticality incidents is not Cherenkov light. It's just ionization of atmospheric nitrogen. You can get Cherenkov in the atmosphere but it takes particle velocities higher than you get out of nuclear reactions, like cosmic rays or particle accelerators.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

LifeSunDeath posted:

Trying to think if a massive AN explosion would make AL better or worse.

I grew up not far from a major industrial port. There's a reason why the storage depot for fertilizers and other potential explosives (you could tell from the smell even before a field trip from school toured the port) was located outside the port itself in a thinly inhabited area, linked by rail to the rest of the port.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Collateral Damage posted:

That feeble squirt at the end makes the entire video.

10/10, Especially dudes body language.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZIjbX1gj88

This, more or less. A suicide that would involve a whole SHITLOAD of people, from a very large number of 3, 4 and 5 letter US agencies.

I mean, if you had 150% of a critical mass divided into two halves and tried your damnedest, there is a non-zero chance that there would be enough energy liberated via prompt criticality to crush your skull and or chest, saving you the agony of getting a whole body dose of 50+ Grays. Criticality gets you that charming robin's egg blue cherenkov glow, prompt criticality does that, plus violently self-disassembles anything involved with it.

A gun type weapon would be easier to fabricate privately than a implosion type. It was so simple that they knew it would work without testing it and requires nothing more than enriched Uranium.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm sure that, in 1945, enriched uranium is available in every corner drug store, but, in 2020, it's a bit hard to come by.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cojawfee posted:

I'm sure that, in 1945, enriched uranium is available in every corner drug store, but, in 2020, it's a bit hard to come by.

Joking aside, it'd be the easiest way to produce a nuclear weapon. It only requires access to enriched uranium, no shaped lenses or abundance of reflectors, nor the need to produce plutonium.

Its obviously much easier to get Uranium-235 than Plutonium-239, since its the basic form needed for Nuclear Reactors. Granted, you still need to separate the isotopes with centrifuges, which will require a fairly large industrial footprint.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Especially when the context of the discussion is "suppose a bunch of weapons-grade fissile material went missing, what's the worst that someone could do if they got their hands on it?"

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Jabor posted:

Especially when the context of the discussion is "suppose a bunch of weapons-grade fissile material went missing, what's the worst that someone could do if they got their hands on it?"

They could put it up their butt.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
They could put it up someone else's butt.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/ksAdxVJ.mp4

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Hooray, Butt Cancer.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Arrhythmia posted:

They could put it up their butt.

Arrhythmia posted:

They could put it up someone else's butt.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Jabor posted:

In reality, the worst that will happen is someone makes a dirty bomb and some city spends millions of dollars vacuuming up radioactive dust.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Phanatic posted:

The blue flash (from air ionization) is also prompt critical.

You only get Cherenkov radiation when charged particles travel faster than light in a medium. The speed of light in air is close enough to the speed of light in vacuum as makes no difference, the blue glow observed during these criticality incidents is not Cherenkov light. It's just ionization of atmospheric nitrogen. You can get Cherenkov in the atmosphere but it takes particle velocities higher than you get out of nuclear reactions, like cosmic rays or particle accelerators.

Fun fact, they're pretty sure the blue glow/flash from the Demon Core accident was Cherenkov Radiation inside the eyes of the scientists. Possibly not quite as fun to experience in person, but still, nifty!

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Hooray, Butt Cancer.

They could put half up their butt, and then the other half, making it go supercritical inside their butt.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

They could put half up their butt, and then the other half, making it go supercritical inside their butt.

Well I already call my own rear end the "demon core"

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

what effect does making fissile material dildo-shaped have on criticality. asking for a friend

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Cock shaft is a preferred shape but a flared end is getting into the realm of dangerous geometry.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Luneshot posted:

what effect does making fissile material dildo-shaped have on criticality. asking for a friend

Symmetry is important as you'll want to make sure you focus all the neurons towards one point.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Fun fact, they're pretty sure the blue glow/flash from the Demon Core accident was Cherenkov Radiation inside the eyes of the scientists. Possibly not quite as fun to experience in person, but still, nifty!

"That's so cool!" Said the ludicrously irradiated scientist.

Then again, there's a letter that a Frenchman who was stung by a poisonous sea snail in Tahiti wrote as he was dying, describing the pain as "exquisite".

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know if you can really ignore the pig

https://twitter.com/gonch145/status/1291439982230593536?s=20

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

CommieGIR posted:

A gun type weapon would be easier to fabricate privately than a implosion type. It was so simple that they knew it would work without testing it and requires nothing more than enriched Uranium.

A gun-type weapon using U235. If you have the salvaged plutonium core from an old fission bomb, making that into a gun-type bomb is going to be incredibly difficult. That was the whole point behind the implosion type, the rate of spontaneous fission in Pu239 is so high that making a gun-type bomb with it was impractical for the US.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well fortunately you don't need any special technology to get U-235, it's literally just lying around in the ground out there

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

well fortunately you don't need any special technology to get U-235, it's literally just lying around in the ground out there

With a Geiger counter in my hand, I'm a going out to stake me some government land.

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

Luneshot posted:

Just check with these:

e: base isn't flared so be careful!

Don't Ask fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 7, 2020

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Don't Ask posted:

Just check with these:

You should include the backstory to that photo, because it's a doozy:

quote:

Technicians at the government’s Los Alamos National Laboratory settled on what seemed like a surefire way to win praise from their bosses in August 2011: In a hi-tech testing and manufacturing building pivotal to sustaining America’s nuclear arsenal, they gathered eight rods painstakingly crafted out of plutonium, and positioned them side-by-side on a table to photograph how nice they looked.

At many jobs, this would be innocent bragging. But plutonium is the unstable, radioactive, man-made fuel of a nuclear explosion, and it isn’t amenable to showboating. When too much is put in one place, it becomes “critical” and begins to fission uncontrollably, spontaneously sparking a nuclear chain reaction, which releases energy and generates a deadly burst of radiation.

The resulting blue glow — known as Cherenkov radiation — has accidentally and abruptly flashed at least 60 times since the dawn of the nuclear age, signaling an instantaneous nuclear charge and causing a total of 21 agonizing deaths. So keeping bits of plutonium far apart is one of the bedrock rules that those working on the nuclear arsenal are supposed to follow to prevent workplace accidents. It’s Physics 101 for nuclear scientists, but has sometimes been ignored at Los Alamos.

As luck had it that August day, a supervisor returned from her lunch break, noticed the dangerous configuration, and ordered a technician to move the rods apart. But in so doing, she violated safety rules calling for a swift evacuation of all personnel in “criticality” events, because bodies — and even hands — can reflect and slow the neutrons emitted by plutonium, increasing the likelihood of a nuclear chain reaction. A more senior lab official instead improperly decided that others in the room should keep working, according to a witness and an Energy Department report describing the incident.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Memento posted:

It sank.

gently caress me, it just sank.

I missed this earlier but you can see it on Google Earth

That's great. You can see the line is still tied to the ship too.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Don't Ask posted:

Just check with these:

e: base isn't flared so be careful!

the lack of a flared base is the most unsafe thing here.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Phanatic posted:

A gun-type weapon using U235. If you have the salvaged plutonium core from an old fission bomb, making that into a gun-type bomb is going to be incredibly difficult. That was the whole point behind the implosion type, the rate of spontaneous fission in Pu239 is so high that making a gun-type bomb with it was impractical for the US.

Yes, I posted that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qd1htqnVVZ1r0uzl6.mp4