Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Basically its nice to give you a heads-up that you may want to visit your doctor, but its results alone will never serve as the basis for a diagnosis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

How useful is the ECG on the series 5? I seem to be developing a lovely heart and my wife is imploring me to switch to iPhone for this.

Currently have an s20 ultra.

From the horses mouth- https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208955 Check out the Things you should know.

Were 6-10 weeks out from the series 6 depending on how the rona has changed the schedule, so if youre looking for health stuff might wanna hold off. Blood oxygen level monitoring is all but announced, but who knows what else will be added since the series 5 is basically the same as a series 4, but with a few tweaks for the always on display. 6 should be a decent sized leap.

Just in case, but you probably know this- it does require an iPhone to pair with.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GoatSeeGuy posted:

From the horses mouth- https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208955 Check out the “Things you should know”.

We’re 6-10 weeks out from the series 6 depending on how the ‘rona has changed the schedule, so if you’re looking for health stuff might wanna hold off. Blood oxygen level monitoring is all but announced, but who knows what else will be added since the series 5 is basically the same as a series 4, but with a few tweaks for the always on display. 6 should be a decent sized leap.

Just in case, but you probably know this- it does require an iPhone to pair with.

Yeah Im really hoping the 6 adds enough health stuff to make me jump from my 3 (which is still going strong).

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I’m really hoping the 6 adds enough health stuff to make me jump from my 3 (which is still going strong).

Same, although theres some weird discoloration on the edges of my display...

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

GoatSeeGuy posted:

From the horses mouth- https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208955 Check out the “Things you should know”.

We’re 6-10 weeks out from the series 6 depending on how the ‘rona has changed the schedule, so if you’re looking for health stuff might wanna hold off. Blood oxygen level monitoring is all but announced, but who knows what else will be added since the series 5 is basically the same as a series 4, but with a few tweaks for the always on display. 6 should be a decent sized leap.

Wtf, it's not available in Australia according to that link? Well there goes that plan.

"To sell medical devices in Australia, companies need to get prior approval from the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) for inclusion on the Australian Register of Therapeutic Goods (ARTG) in order to be legally supplied in the country. Specifically, devices that intend to provide therapeutic benefits or modify or monitor anatomy or physiological functions of the body need to be on the ARTG in order to be imported and supplied in Australia, per the Therapeutic Goods Act 1989.
And despite the promise of the EGC heart-monitoring app coming to Australia, the TGA confirmed to Gizmodo Australia that Apple has not applied for any of its products to be on the ARTG in Australia. Yes, any."

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2019/09/why-apple-watch-series-5-wont-get-the-heart-testing-feature-in-australia/

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Aug 5, 2020

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Awww, I just remembered the buy an Apple device and get a year of AppleTV for free promo and got happy.

Then I read that it does not cover the Apple Watch (boo!).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

enojy posted:

In a now-deleted blog post, Apple stated that watchOS 7 would only be coming to Series 3 and newer watches. Dang! I was really looking forward to sleep and dance-specific exercise detection; moreso than anything else announced since after the watch first came out. Don't think those two things are worth the upgrade, though.

If you're on a S2 or older, I highly encourage you to consider upgrading.

Like, I 'only' have a S3 and it felt light years ahead of my ex's S2. The newer ones have only added capability, altho it's nice that the 3's stayed current and relevant for so long.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Awww, I just remembered the buy an Apple device and get a year of AppleTV for free promo and got happy.

Apple Watch is also the only Apple product that you cant use the Apple Cards 0% interest payment plan for for some reason.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

you're not missing much, really

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

you're not missing much, really

Mythic Quest rules, but yeah, that's about it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Violator posted:

Apple Watch is also the only Apple product that you cant use the Apple Cards 0% interest payment plan for for some reason.

Thank god you can get AirPods with it though!

Good stuff on AppleTV+: Mythic Quest, For All Mankind, Beastie Boys Story, Greyhound, Visible, Little America, Fraggle Rock Rock On!.

You can easily get through all of this in a month. Probably the one-week trial if you really want.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
My wife works at a well regarded urgent care and the few times Ive mentioned my AW ecg she laughed out loud and told me to shut up about my toys. She also said not to mention my watch when I get a real ecg at her facility. :shrug: she sounds mean but shes not, they just have no respect for the apple ecg whatsoever.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Taima posted:

My wife works at a well regarded urgent care and the few times Ive mentioned my AW ecg she laughed out loud and told me to shut up about my toys. She also said not to mention my watch when I get a real ecg at her facility. :shrug: she sounds mean but shes not, they just have no respect for the apple ecg whatsoever.

That seems strangely dismissive. I had my heart operated on last Sept, and both my surgeon and my cardiologist both love the Apple Watch for health tracking and monitoring.

My cardiologist likes the ECG feature, as incomplete as it is. It's definitely NOT a diagnostic tool, and he doesn't treat it like one.

But he likes that it gets his patients, especially ones like me that have had open heart surgery, in the mode of collecting data on a regular basis and recording/tracking it. It's also nice because at least for a-fib, it can help get the jump on seeking emergency treatment before it gets more serious.

For me, it's just another point of data to log multiple times along with pulse, BP, and spO2%. None of those are diagnostic, but I can spot trends in the data such as "hmm my heart rate avg has been climbing a few beats every day for the last week" or "my spO2% has dipped below 95 at this specific time for several days running" and then call/page my cardio and inform him.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Aug 7, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Taima posted:

Next time tell your wife that Urgent Cares arent real clinics, and that real clinics dont get built into strip malls? That Urgent Cares seem like an acceptable balm but are really just a testament to the utter lack of respect and empathy that our broke-brained nation has for its poor?

(Im kidding, but also one time when I was 15 an urgent care doc misdiagnosed my broken ankle as a sprain even though the terrible xrays he got and said were fine clearly showed a break, and I hobbled around on it for a couple days until the injury got way worse)

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Aug 7, 2020

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
LMAO at the idea of a well regarded urgent care.

The ECG on the Watch is good. There are documented accounts of it alerting users to undiagnosed heart conditions and saving their lives.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 7, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Sir Ill have you know that I run a notably prestigious Wendys franchise

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Taima posted:

This is the FDA De Novo Summary of the Apple Watch ECG App medical device.
https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cdrh_docs/reviews/DEN180044.pdf

It is a Class II medical device with indications for use as a Lead I ECG monitor.

FDA De Novo Summary (DEN180044) posted:

INDICATIONS FOR USE
The ECG app is a software-only mobile medical application intended for use with the
Apple Watch to create, record, store, transfer, and display a single channel
electrocardiogram (ECG) similar to a Lead I ECG. The ECG app determines the presence
of atrial fibrillation (AFib) or sinus rhythm on a classifiable waveform. The ECG app is
not recommended for users with other known arrhythmias.

The ECG app is intended for over-the-counter (OTC) use. The ECG data displayed by the
ECG app is intended for informational use only. The user is not intended to interpret or
take clinical action based on the device output without consultation of a qualified
healthcare professional. The ECG waveform is meant to supplement rhythm
classification for the purposes of discriminating AFib from normal sinus rhythm and not
intended to replace traditional methods of diagnosis or treatment.

The ECG app is not intended for use by people under 22 years old.

The document goes on to describe the clinical evaluations this medical device has completed.

FDA De Novo Summary (DEN180044) posted:

CONCLUSION
The De Novo request for the ECG App is granted, and the device is classified under the
following:
Product Code: QDA
Device Type: Electrocardiograph software for over-the-counter use
Class: II
Regulation Number: 21 CFR 870.2345

Your wife is loving ignorant and needs to check herself.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
I don't have an apple watch. I'd just like to say that I used to go to an urgent care run by an orthopedic surgeon. I quite liked that urgent care when I broke bones growing up skateboarding.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Jose Oquendo posted:

The one time I went to an urgent care to stitch up my finger after a yardwork incident, all I remember is that they told us it'd be free to get the stitches out, and then it wasn't, so they sent my dad to collections over a $20 visit.

My dad should have just paid it, but he's a hardcore "it's the principle behind it" kind of guy. Don't think anyone in that situation was being smart.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

concise posted:

Your wife is loving ignorant and needs to check herself.

I dunno man shes really smart. And its not just her, everyone from the doctors down. You would know this place.

Anyways, wow, strong opinions about urgent care. I mean that its an urgent care at a very well regarded hospital sorry should have been specific apparently! Please don't shoot the messenger friends, I have a fuckin' ECG too just relaying what I was told jeez.

I just thought it was an interesting anecdote, it's probably not worth being mad over.

e: just out of curiosity is it common for people to not like urgent care? They control the entire COVID care apparatus at our hospital and they're essentially heroes in my book. You wouldn't believe the poo poo they do. Honestly surprised to hear people don't like receiving... *checks notes* care at a great hospital without an appointment? You guys know those are awesome doctors who put in shifts at urgent right?

Taima fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 7, 2020

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Are you not in the US? That could be where the confusion comes from. In the US, what you've just described is an Emergency Room.

In the US, urgent care is some of the worst of the worst of for-profit medicine. Even with insurance, you have ridiculous co-pays for what amounts to literally a 30 second visit with a doctor to get a prescription or antibiotics or prednisone. If you don't have insurance? Forget it. They're not an ER, so they aren't required to help if you can't pay. Hell, they keep your credit card ON FILE and they won't touch you until they get it. There's no financial assistance like you might get at a hospital. They're the McDonald's of health care, with michelin star costs.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Taima posted:

I dunno man shes really smart. And its not just her, everyone from the doctors down. You would know this place.

I am not questioning her intellect or the professionals with whom she works. I am arguing that she and others in her clinic are ignorant because they dismiss the ECG App as a toy. It is not a toy, it is a FDA regulated Class II medical device which specifically lists ECG Lead I monitoring and detection of atrial fibrillation in its indications of use. Is it as good as an ECG monitor or defibrillator with more sophisticated capabilities like 12-lead ECG analysis? No. Is it useful for getting afib patients to where they need to be (the hospital)? Yes.

If she read the De Novo Summary, she might be convinced that ECG App has useful applications in the practice of medicine.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

It's a matter of scale. Urgent care is where you go if you aren't in extremely bad condition but need immediate help without an appointment. Like if you fall on a skateboard and get all hosed up but you aren't dying you would go to urgent care. If you can't focus your eyes or something scary and urgent but you aren't dying, you would go to urgent care. If your heart is acting up you would go to urgent care, or if you needed extremely quick blood testing or evaluation, etc.

These lines do get blurred because emergency rooms are used as regular urgent care by lots of people who can't afford urgent care. Which is ok. We're both in full support of universal health care. That is a different issue though.

With all due respect you're just not describing our urgent care at all. The doctors who work in urgent pull shifts there as part of their overall practice; they are excellent doctors. They work with you for long periods- I went in for a heart palpitation issue recently and was there for 2 hours getting evaluations and blood tests. The total expense after insurance was $60 which included multiple blood tests, an EKG etc.

We do fine and have excellent insurance, so I totally understand that may not be how everyone is treated, but it's just blatantly wrong that our urgent care is some cut rate operation. The care there is excellent, detailed, and performed by the same doctors who work in the "real" hospital (joking obviously, we don't view urgent as a ghetto hospital here, because it's simply not true for us). In our hospital the urgent care is just... the real hospital but without an appointment, for urgent but not immediately life threatening poo poo :shrug:

If that's what happens elsewhere, I am very sympathetic to that. And for all I know they don't take walk ins without insurance, but again, that has no bearing on the quality of care received or the qualifications of the doctors involved.

If I could wave my wand and make the excesses of the healthcare industry go away, I would, it's a barbaric industry on the whole that needs to die yesterday. The very concept of for-profit medical care is antithetic to basic human decency. BUT just so you know our hospital is non-profit. I'm no expert on what that means exactly though, in practice.

concise posted:

I am not questioning her intellect or the professionals with whom she works. I am arguing that she and others in her clinic are ignorant because they dismiss the ECG App as a toy. It is not a toy, it is a FDA regulated Class II medical device which specifically lists ECG Lead I monitoring and detection of atrial fibrillation in its indications of use. Is it as good as an ECG monitor or defibrillator with more sophisticated capabilities like 12-lead ECG analysis? No. Is it useful for getting afib patients to where they need to be (the hospital)? Yes.

If she read the De Novo Summary, she might be convinced that ECG App has useful applications in the practice of medicine.

Honestly? I think it's a bias that doctors have for what they view as hand-wavey tech solutions. They want to get you in on a sophisticated ECG. And I tend to agree that it's not only elitist, but also representative of the fact that doctors tend to run older. They are typically empathetic, seasoned and incredibly smart, but they want to provide THEIR care, and not accept what someone is bringing in on a consumer watch.

It's not great but here we are. I would be curious of the reception received if anyone else has taken their Apple Watch in and mentioned it during a heart evaluation (which I just did about a month ago). I had taken numerous EKGs in the days before coming in. In my case they were like "haha no". That was separate from the incident where my wife didn't take it seriously on numerous occasions. Her response was the same as the doctor's response: "we want to get you on a "real" EKG. fun toy though".

Sorry I'm being confusing by saying ECG and EKG. They're the same. For some reason I think of the AW as having an ECG and the hospital as having an EKG because Apple uses the former term and our doctors use the latter term.

Taima fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 7, 2020

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Not saying anything bad about your wife, but she's missing the point if she can't see the value in a device that holds well over half of the smartwatch market that also doubles as a precursory health monitor.

It will never be as accurate or useful as a well-learned doctor with a full-blown clinic's resources, but it will be good enough to get people into the door of those clinics. We're many, many years away from consumer technology being able to replace doctor-given healthcare in any meaningful context.

That said, she is probably right about it being a good idea to not say anything like "but my watch ECG app says [X]" after getting a "real ECG" in her clinic. That could start to lean heavily into "but I read a blog post on Google..." territory.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 7, 2020

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Hey man you can talk bad about my wife all you want, we're very into that. I can buy that it's an ignorant opinion. I just thought the reception to the watch among medical professionals was interesting so I shared.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Taima posted:

It's a matter of scale. Urgent care is where you go if you aren't in extremely bad condition but need immediate help without an appointment. Like if you fall on a skateboard and get all hosed up but you aren't dying you would go to urgent care. If you can't focus your eyes or something scary and urgent but you aren't dying, you would go to urgent care. If your heart is acting up you would go to urgent care, or if you needed extremely quick blood testing or evaluation, etc.

These lines do get blurred because emergency rooms are used as regular urgent care by lots of people who can't afford urgent care. Which is ok. We're both in full support of universal health care. That is a different issue though.

With all due respect you're just not describing our urgent care at all. The doctors who work in urgent pull shifts there as part of their overall practice; they are excellent doctors. They work with you for long periods- I went in for a heart palpitation issue recently and was there for 2 hours getting evaluations and blood tests. The total expense after insurance was $60 which included multiple blood tests, an EKG etc.

We do fine and have excellent insurance, so I totally understand that may not be how everyone is treated, but it's just blatantly wrong that our urgent care is some cut rate operation. The care there is excellent, detailed, and performed by the same doctors who work in the "real" hospital (joking obviously, we don't view urgent as a ghetto hospital here, because it's simply not true for us). In our hospital the urgent care is just... the real hospital but without an appointment, for urgent but not immediately life threatening poo poo :shrug:

If that's what happens elsewhere, I am very sympathetic to that. And for all I know they don't take walk ins without insurance, but again, that has no bearing on the quality of care received or the qualifications of the doctors involved.

If I could wave my wand and make the excesses of the healthcare industry go away, I would, it's a barbaric industry on the whole that needs to die yesterday. The very concept of for-profit medical care is antithetic to basic human decency. BUT just so you know our hospital is non-profit. I'm no expert on what that means exactly though, in practice.

Honestly? I think it's a bias that doctors have for what they view as hand-wavey tech solutions. They want to get you in on a sophisticated ECG. And I tend to agree that it's not only elitist, but also representative of the fact that doctors tend to run older. They are typically empathetic, seasoned and incredibly smart, but they want to provide THEIR care, and not accept what someone is bringing in on a consumer watch.

It's not great but here we are. I would be curious of the reception received if anyone else has taken their Apple Watch in and mentioned it during a heart evaluation (which I just did about a month ago). I had taken numerous EKGs in the days before coming in. In my case they were like "haha no". That was separate from the incident where my wife didn't take it seriously on numerous occasions. Her response was the same as the doctor's response: "we want to get you on a "real" EKG. fun toy though".

Sorry I'm being confusing by saying ECG and EKG. They're the same. For some reason I think of the AW as having an ECG and the hospital as having an EKG because Apple uses the former term and our doctors use the latter term.

Yes, urgent care is great if you have insurance. The point is urgent care is awful if like many people you dont have 100% coverage.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

The efficacy of health insurance and for-profit medical care is a huge issue for sure. I tried to address that to some degree in the previous post.

e: I removed making fun of Comboomer for not knowing that urgent cares aren't just in strip malls, that was a douche move sorry even though he was being a jerk, that's clearly.... not that rad to joke about. And it's honestly a travesty that some people only know of urgent cares as something that exists in a mall :( we need to fix the system ASAP.

Taima fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 7, 2020

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Are you not in the US? That could be where the confusion comes from. In the US, what you've just described is an Emergency Room.

In the US, urgent care is some of the worst of the worst of for-profit medicine. Even with insurance, you have ridiculous co-pays for what amounts to literally a 30 second visit with a doctor to get a prescription or antibiotics or prednisone. If you don't have insurance? Forget it. They're not an ER, so they aren't required to help if you can't pay. Hell, they keep your credit card ON FILE and they won't touch you until they get it. There's no financial assistance like you might get at a hospital. They're the McDonald's of health care, with michelin star costs.

My local urgent care is part of the hospital, even shares a common wall with the ER so they can move you over if you're in real bad shape. Had to take my kid there when he had a nasty spill to get checked out. Seemed to work well for it's intended purpose.

That might be a situation unique to Kaiser though, they have a whole system where everything is done in one spot and it's not just a network of affiliated doctors or whatever.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Taima posted:

The efficacy of health insurance and for-profit medical care is a huge issue for sure. I tried to address that to some degree in the previous post.

e: I removed making fun of Comboomer for not knowing that urgent cares aren't just in strip malls, that was a douche move sorry even though he was being a jerk, that's clearly.... not that rad to joke about. And it's honestly a travesty that some people only know of urgent cares as something that exists in a mall :( we need to fix the system ASAP.

No poo poo urgent cares exist outside of strip malls, but like 90% of the ones I see are in one. And they dont inspire hospital-level confidence when theyve got one haggard looking internal medicine doc overseeing three NPs over a weekend shift.

Sorry I gave you a modicum of sass. Id wager my 2-alarm joke response was still funnier than simply dropping a your wifes loving ignorant :colbert: like other posters here. Are you a SauerKraut parachute?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

FCKGW posted:

My local urgent care is part of the hospital, even shares a common wall with the ER so they can move you over if you're in real bad shape. Had to take my kid there when he had a nasty spill to get checked out. Seemed to work well for it's intended purpose.

That might be a situation unique to Kaiser though, they have a whole system where everything is done in one spot and it's not just a network of affiliated doctors or whatever.

I think that's very common!

Ok Comboomer posted:

No poo poo urgent cares exist outside of strip malls, but like 90% of the ones I see are in one. And they dont inspire hospital-level confidence when theyve got one haggard looking internal medicine doc overseeing three NPs over a weekend shift.

Sorry I gave you a modicum of sass. Id wager my 2-alarm joke response was still funnier than simply dropping a your wifes loving ignorant :colbert: like other posters here. Are you a SauerKraut parachute?

Apologies.

Taima fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 7, 2020

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
:yikes:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Same except it's a door to an urgent care.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Protocol7 posted:

Same except it's a door to an urgent care.

:ohno:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's a huge shame SA didn't get to design emojis for the rest of the internet because lol.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
So uh, anyone else thinking about doing the public beta if/when it eventually gets released? I did the phone and iPad one and they seem pretty stable. But I know the watch has no way to fix it outside of an Apple store if it gets hosed.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Consummate Professional posted:

So uh, anyone else thinking about doing the public beta if/when it eventually gets released? I did the phone and iPad one and they seem pretty stable. But I know the watch has no way to fix it outside of an Apple store if it gets hosed.

I have a rule that I'll try the first public beta on my iPad, public beta 3/4 on my phone, and gently caress no to any beta on my watch due to horror stories I've read about it being bricked.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Unless something changes with the public beta, you cannot roll it back.

So if theres an issue, youre hosed until the next beta comes out, and possibly until the GM.

Not worth it in my opinion. I did WatchOS betas before and it sucked when my Watch died in an hour or the phone couldnt talk to the Watch at all.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Were like 1-1.5 months away from launch if they follow the typical timeline, just waaaaaait.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Violator posted:

Were like 1-1.5 months away from launch if they follow the typical timeline, just waaaaaait.

:yeah:

Betas are not worth the headaches. Dont mess with them unless youre a dev or its on secondary device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Taima posted:

Anyways, wow, strong opinions about urgent care.

Try asking about screen protectors! Its pretty edgy in here