Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sleepwalkers posted:

the idea that you have to put the best workers on tv above everything else is so weird and i don't know why that's his hangup. orange cassidy got hella over by, essentially, not wrestling. becky lynch was arguably the biggest star wwe regularly had on network tv and she was nowhere near the best worker in the company, man or woman. you have a bunch of people being given regular tv time who are not as good as fenix.

The people you have on TV and the mix you have is working though. There really isn't anyone in a role where you would think you can slot in someone better, even Hager's role is basically to stand around and maybe do half a dozen matches a year. The worst guy on TV is probably Sabian now that Havoc is gone and Sabian is mostly a male valet lately. The women they aren't putting on TV mostly need work, and when they do put new faces on TV you get complaints about Ivelisse (rightly so personality wise) and even what was a good little match gets criticized. You had people on here looking to complain about every single thing in the Ariane/Nyla vs Conti/Jay match.

So you would be introducing those kind of matches that get poo poo on into an environment where the TV is really working right now, especially in terms of drawing women. Their numbers are way up with teen girls and young women, so I can see why they might not want to put less TV ready workers onto a product that is clicking and take people off who are.

I would personally love if they just put Shida out there more to wreck people even if you can't get more good competitive matches on TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

sleepwalkers posted:

the idea that you have to put the best workers on tv above everything else is so weird and i don't know why that's his hangup. orange cassidy got hella over by, essentially, not wrestling. becky lynch was arguably the biggest star wwe regularly had on network tv and she was nowhere near the best worker in the company, man or woman. you have a bunch of people being given regular tv time who are not as good as fenix.

If OC wasn't a good worker they'd have just kept doing comedy spots with him where he'd show up under the ring or in a backstage segment.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

I would personally love if they just put Shida out there more to wreck people even if you can't get more good competitive matches on TV.

I have no clue why Shida and Nyla aren't wrestling more matches, gently caress it give them a weekly best of 7 series and tell stories i won't get tired of it they can both go.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
how long we going to give this freak a pass

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Eat My Fuc posted:

I have no clue why Shida and Nyla aren't wrestling more matches, gently caress it give them a weekly best of 7 series and tell stories i won't get tired of it they can both go.

Nyla probably shouldn't be working that many matches with one opponent at this point, she's very good at what she does but is still evolving as a performer, I don't mind her being kept as a monster and wrestling a bit less. But Shida looks like a killer when they let her just kill people.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ICHIBAHN posted:

turn on your monitor

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

ICHIBAHN posted:

??????????

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Eat My Fuc posted:

Shida vs. Nyla is a money match, we've had to pay for it once, and it seems likely we'll be made to pay for it again the next time we see it.

MassRafTer posted:

Nyla probably shouldn't be working that many matches with one opponent at this point, she's very good at what she does but is still evolving as a performer, I don't mind her being kept as a monster and wrestling a bit less. But Shida looks like a killer when they let her just kill people.

Shida murdering trainees on TV seems like it could go either really well or really poorly and I get why the risk analysis would say to not. But it is such a good idea.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

ICHIBAHN posted:

Cool insult good choice of words

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I think there's a reasonable point to be made about not throwing green wrestlers into the deep end just for the sake of giving women time, but I also think "Can't make space for the women when there's so much good men's stuff to get through" can become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Not saying that the women's division is always gonna be a problem, but I also don't think you can with 100% confidence say "everything will work out fine long-term"

I also think it is bad to flatly go "The ladies aren't good enough right now, sorry, and the complaints about the situation in AEW are just looking for something to complain about." You can talk about scarcity of talent and bad-faith attacks in a way that doesn't alienate women's wrestlers and genuine fans of women's wrestling

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

karmicknight posted:

Shida vs. Nyla is a money match, we've had to pay for it once, and it seems likely we'll be made to pay for it again the next time we see it.

Shida murdering trainees on TV seems like it could go either really well or really poorly and I get why the risk analysis would say to not. But it is such a good idea.

The thing about squashes is if they go really poorly they still look brutal and I don't think she'd drop anyone on their head.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

How did her 10 second match the other week do in the ratings? They may have decided against that because it didn't do well.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRafTer posted:

But Shida looks like a killer when they let her just kill people.

Agreed, although Nyla should get more promo time.

I said this in the AEW thread, but AEW's in the unenviable position of having to build a women's division from the ground up for a whole bunch of reasons. They could be doing a better job of it, yes, but honestly I'd rather watch their green prospects develop (even if it's mostly on Dark for now) than watch WWE waste or sabotage the talent they have.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i hope aew keeps cosplay night for halloween. let shida wrestle as princess zelda, the young bucks as mario and mario, chris jericho as sebastian bach accompanied to the ring by sebastian bach

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

karmicknight posted:

That's fair, maybe I was one of the few who really enjoyed the Sheamus/Cesaro best of 7 a few years back but I really think it made both guys better and they found ways to make it interesting. AEW not being afraid of a draw also helps with a series like that, but it's definitely a match i'll pay for so they should probably save it for PPV.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
dave

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Tim

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

alan

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

John Cena

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

wish 4l would post here :(

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I'm going to compare Shida to I think her closest counterpart Miyu Yamashita from TJPW. They both wrestle fairly identical styles and they're both lovable dorks both on and off TV, but Shida doesn't give off that kind of killing edge that Yamashita does, who looks like she's ready to kick someone's head into the tenth row every time she's in the ring. Shida is a great wrestler, but seeing her do squash matches doesn't seem like her character. She shouldn't be wrestling from behind all the time like a babyface in peril, AEW should be building up monsters in the division to try and gun her down because she's that drat good at what she does.

The problem is that AEW's choice in women's talent is pretty small. They need to lean more into Asuka's early NXT run where yeah, you KNOW Shida is the better wrestler here but you've got girls like Penelope with Kip running interference, Abadon impervious to pain and forcing Shida to go all out on an opponent that might not be a physical threat to her, but a zombie-like threat that refuses to quit, Britt Baker using Eddie style tactics to try and cheat her way to a victory and doing some general showcase matches where Shida is just basically sparring with newer girls and trying to mentor them like Cena's US Open run or Cody's TNT title until she's faced with real threats to her title again months down the road (Probably Nyla Rose)

Bottom line is that even though AEW's women's roster is pretty shallow, they should be finding more creative ways to put who they've got over and attempt to elevate people to Shida's level.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i feel like if you give the roster time, they'll develop into better wrestlers naturally.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

JOHN CENA posted:

i feel like if you give the roster time, they'll develop into better wrestlers naturally.

this is true to me too, except for maybe Mel or something but she isn't any worse than Jake Hager and can be used in a role like that surely.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

The problem is that, with the exception of Britt, they've done all that. They could probably run back ABADON, especially since that was on Dark, but it's too soon to run back most of those, and I feel like they're going to bring in a big name for her to wrestle at All Out for a one off.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
The thing about sink or swim booking is that it is risky and also sometimes people sink to the bottom rather than swim to top. AEW hasn't seemed to like taking risks by my estimation.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

karmicknight posted:

The thing about sink or swim booking is that it is risky and also sometimes people sink to the bottom rather than swim to top. AEW hasn't seemed to like taking risks by my estimation.
SCU were their first tag champs, Riho was their first women's champ, they made Shawn Spears one of Cody's first feuds, they went all-in on Hangman and toughed it out until the fans turned the corner on him

What do you mean no risks? They just reel things in they know aren't going to work and don't treat the audience stupid. They're regularly trying to push indie names, younger workers, and using their established talent to put over everyone else. Even with Mox and Jericho as their two world champions, Jericho is putting over OC and Mox just put over Darby

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Reeling things in that aren't working and having a quick hook for deciding that is how AEW manages risk and is risk averse. Acting like veteran acts putting over young acts is risky is a weird idea, because I'm not saying they aren't pushing people I'm saying that AEW's booking doesn't like rolling the dice and wants to make sure they know what the results are going to be going in, they try and make their show maintain a certain floor in terms of quality or experience or reach in order to allow them to actually get young or indie acts over.

Edit: like remember that period early on when Tony Khan refuses to allow a straight interview to happen because it was an unknown as to whether straight talking could work with a Dynamite crowd. AEW loves doing things right and part of that is AEW loves maintaining control of risk and that goes against the idea of letting women’s wrestling prospects sink or swim on Dynamite when the Dark testbed is right there.

karmicknight fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 7, 2020

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Dave and Lance doing a show together next week, extremely looking forward to this.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

ICHIBAHN posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
I think you're confused, it was Rebel/Reba from TNA stable The Menagerie that wrestled on Dynamite this week, not Rob "THE FREAK' Terry.

Reba is on the right, THE FREAK is on the left.

Or did I miss a scoop, and AEW passed up on THE FREAK?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

*Taz saying The Freak voice*: THE FREAK

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbODCanJ6FY

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Incessant Excess posted:

Dave and Lance doing a show together next week, extremely looking forward to this.

On the other hand the show is apparently going to be focused on Lance's take on intergender matches.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
If the argument is just going to be 'ah you see, only the best should make it on TV and the best just happen to be men' then nothing is ever going to change.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

DrVenkman posted:

If the argument is just going to be 'ah you see, only the best should make it on TV and the best just happen to be men' then nothing is ever going to change.

While its true that the womens division needs to be given a fair shake, it's also not fair to set them up to fail. Throwing women with insufficient experience on live TV leads to bad ratings, the wrestlers getting excoriated online and injuries from doing over-ambitious spots to compete with the mens matches. Its not fair to expect people with only a few years of experience to compete with 10+ year vets.

You could argue that they should hire more ready for TV female wrestlers, well they did but they are stuck in Japan/Europe.
You could argue that they should hire more ready for TV female wrestlers that live in America, well they'd probably like to but WWE or Impact got most of them, check the cards from All In and the first Double or Nothing and see how many of the women featured there fit into the category of in Japan/WWE/Impact.
You could argue that they should hire more ready for TV female wrestlers that live in America and haven't been picked up by WWE/Impact, well at that point you are hiring Tessa Blanchard.
Do you think that's the solution?

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

I thought that the list that Meltzer was responding to from his board was mostly all people who could be effective. There are good talents out there that haven't been given a shot. They should be given a shot or two, even if the first one is on Dark for a proper look.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Well isn’t that what they are doing, they brought in Ivelisse and Diamanté who have both since been in matches that got some serious criticism?

They are also running them women’s tag tournament on YouTube so they can try women out.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

They really haven't begun to dip into the indies. Even if one says that they need to see if certain people are Dynamite ready, Dark also only tends to have one women's match. There's room for more up and down the card, and they aren't doing all that they can, especially with Dark.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

That's actually a pretty good mask. Must have been hell to wrestle in though.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Exactly like the Payton Royce thing - if Dave actually said what he meant instead of trying to dance around it, he’d be much better off. ‘During this pandemic, hiring new women is probably not a great idea, they can’t even use the people they have’ is substantially easier to swallow that’s all the bullshit he’s been saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

mkay0 posted:

Exactly like the Payton Royce thing - if Dave actually said what he meant instead of trying to dance around it, he’d be much better off. ‘During this pandemic, hiring new women is probably not a great idea, they can’t even use the people they have’ is substantially easier to swallow that’s all the bullshit he’s been saying.

He worries so much about how people will take it that he fucks up and either dances around it to the point that it makes no sense like Payton or he does this thing where instead of just making his point he's boxing with invisible posters and is arguing with critics he makes up before anyone really even responds to him.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 9, 2020