Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that strip was 2 years ago :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Acerbatus posted:

that strip was 2 years ago :psyduck:

1151 was 2019 so it's more like a year and a half.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I'm feel so damned dumb. Xykon's coffee speech in start of darkness is a metaphor about villains in stories and I didn't grasp that until just now.

Sure, it fills other roles in the story too, but I cannot believe I missed that super obvious subtext.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Huh

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ikanreed posted:

I'm feel so damned dumb. Xykon's coffee speech in start of darkness is a metaphor about villains in stories and I didn't grasp that until just now.

Sure, it fills other roles in the story too, but I cannot believe I missed that super obvious subtext.

Can you elaborate? Is the idea something like, it's good even if villains are one note, or one dimensional or cheesy/trashy because you are prompted to remember the really good villains?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I mean what I thought is that it's about how RIch makes Xykon an utterly unrepentant monster with no character depth to really help contrast against the struggles of protagonists.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I think once OOTS is over, the thing I'm going to be most looking forward to is the flood of really cool literary analyses about the themes the story addresses.

I am also terrified of the kinds of awful hot takes I'll see about said themes, but them's the breaks.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Xykon has his moments where I really like him as a villain. Off the top of my head, my favorite(outside of Start of Darkness) is when he's beating the snot out of soul-bound V while talking about the nature of power and how O-chul understands it better than V, because he earned his levels while V did not.

Thinking back on that, I'm gonna laugh when Xykon's downfall ends up being that he imprisoned O-chul right next to the Monster and so indirectly let the two of them become friends.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

He's a good example of an enjoyable villain who is also utterly irredeemable.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Yeah, that whole sequence where he's styling on V is one of my favorite moments of the whole comic. Power is power, and sometimes that comes in the form of a +8 racial bonus to listen checks.

And we're still waiting for that extremely short period where Vaarsuvius is taken out of the game by the infernal trio... while still not knowing what their game is.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Shugojin posted:

He's a good example of an enjoyable villain who is also utterly irredeemable.

It also leaves him without a discernable tragic flaw. His downfall, while obviously deserved, seems like it's all but impossible to predict the form of.

"Well you see, his contempt for all other living things came back to haunt him, because a living thing didn't like it" isn't exactly Romeo and Juliet dying from being too impulsive. We can talk for pages and pages about how redcloak is setting himself up for failure by refusing every off ramp on his collision course for death-by-Plan. Or how the vampire's lack of respect for the nuances of Durkon's death allowed him to be manipulated. Or even how Shojo's inability to trust his paladins with the truth of how he bent the rules led to both his death and Azure city's conquest.

But Xykon isn't like that and I'm super interested to see how rich plays it.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
My favorite is when Xykon tells how he killed an archmage and a bunch of other people to get a magic crown, which caused Roy's father to swear a blood oath that got passed on to Roy, which caused the whole series of events that started the story... except that the crown wasn't magic, and Xykon knew that all along. He just wanted it because it made him look "really badass".

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
My favorite line of his is probably the "power equals power" line from SoD, but I forget how exactly it goes. Something how a fine-tuned pocket watch is a lot less impressive if the other guy is a sledgehammer.

ikanreed posted:

It also leaves him without a discernable tragic flaw. His downfall, while obviously deserved, seems like it's all but impossible to predict the form of.

"Well you see, his contempt for all other living things came back to haunt him, because a living thing didn't like it" isn't exactly Romeo and Juliet dying from being too impulsive. We can talk for pages and pages about how redcloak is setting himself up for failure by refusing every off ramp on his collision course for death-by-Plan. Or how the vampire's lack of respect for the nuances of Durkon's death allowed him to be manipulated. Or even how Shojo's inability to trust his paladins with the truth of how he bent the rules led to both his death and Azure city's conquest.

But Xykon isn't like that and I'm super interested to see how rich plays it.

Xykon was deliberately designed to not be tragic. I've been thinking he will end up being little more than an afterthought compared to whatever other factors are in play around his defeat.

Roy's arc proceeded just fine without involving Xykon. He realized he was fighting to save the world instead of showing up his dad a long time ago, and he even had a climactic one-on-one fight with a powerful undead spellcaster to display that his specialization in fighting those had paid off. Redcloak and the Monster in the Darkness are the only other remaining characters tied to Xykon, and both of them are one or two epiphanies from turning against him.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

My favorite line of his is probably the "power equals power" line from SoD, but I forget how exactly it goes. Something how a fine-tuned pocket watch is a lot less impressive if the other guy is a sledgehammer.

Xykon was deliberately designed to not be tragic. I've been thinking he will end up being little more than an afterthought compared to whatever other factors are in play around his defeat.

Roy's arc proceeded just fine without involving Xykon. He realized he was fighting to save the world instead of showing up his dad a long time ago, and he even had a climactic one-on-one fight with a powerful undead spellcaster to display that his specialization in fighting those had paid off. Redcloak and the Monster in the Darkness are the only other remaining characters tied to Xykon, and both of them are one or two epiphanies from turning against him.

It kinda feels like Tarquin was right in naming him Sub-Boss Xykon. Defeating him isn't the point anymore, he's just an obstacle now.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

PMush Perfect posted:

I think once OOTS is over, the thing I'm going to be most looking forward to is the flood of really cool literary analyses about the themes the story addresses.
I hope Rich is chomping at the bit to write something at length once the series is over.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I really think going "Redcloak is targeting someone off-panel" or "Redcloak is targeting himself", or "Redcloak is casting it on Durkon, but isn't trying to kill Durkon" are grasping at straws. He's targeting Durkon and intends to kill Durkon.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I really think going "Redcloak is targeting someone off-panel" or "Redcloak is targeting himself", or "Redcloak is casting it on Durkon, but isn't trying to kill Durkon" are grasping at straws. He's targeting Durkon and intends to kill Durkon.

Yep. The fact it's a showy and not particularly effective method (comparatively, at least) is interesting though.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I mean...

SKULL.GIF posted:

I don't think it's particularly insane theorycrafting, on a cliffhanger where the question is seemingly obviously "Is Durkon about to die next page?", to wonder whether the question is actually "Is Durkon being targeted?" given Burlew's habit of occasionally playing with narrative setups.

Either it's "Redcloak is imploding Durkon and he's going to Fort save the implosion" or "We're being screwed with"

The former is super obvious to any savvy reader, and we know Burlew doesn't like "super obvious"...

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Obvious is okay sometimes. You can only ever give people what they expect or what they don't expect, after all.

Also what really matters is: what happens next.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Xykon is a tragic villain. Start of Darkness spoiler:
He really loved coffee, agreed to be turned into a lich to escape a trap and then experienced the tragedy of never tasting coffee again. That's why he's so angry, he hasn't had caffeine for years.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

SuperKlaus posted:

If Durkon succeeds he's on the level but if he fails he goes down a level.

I'm pretty sure they're having the conversation on the ground so there's not any lower levels to send him to. Unless you're positing the existence of an underground dungeon, anyway, which I don't think holds all that much water. As far as I'm aware all of the tomb dungeons are set into the side of the cliff and are horizontal rather than vertical.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

nimby posted:

Xykon is a tragic villain. Start of Darkness spoiler:
He really loved coffee, agreed to be turned into a lich to escape a trap and then experienced the tragedy of never tasting coffee again. That's why he's so angry, he hasn't had caffeine for years.

I have to be honest here, that would probably do it for me as well.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Colonel Cool posted:

I'm pretty sure they're having the conversation on the ground so there's not any lower levels to send him to. Unless you're positing the existence of an underground dungeon, anyway, which I don't think holds all that much water. As far as I'm aware all of the tomb dungeons are set into the side of the cliff and are horizontal rather than vertical.

Level in the sense of, a horizontal plane. It's an understandable mistake.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

PMush Perfect posted:

I am also terrified of the kinds of awful hot takes I'll see about said themes, but them's the breaks.

Hbomberguy did a whole video about CAD and Penny Arcade, how much do we have to give to Dolphins to get him to make one about OotS?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Per Xykon's grand theory of coffee, by the end of his life he would have gained greater enjoyment from drinking decaf than regular. A truer monster there never was.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I was thinking about a comment Xykon made back in Azure city. How he doesnt need to (or does he say Cant?) sleep, but can only devote 8 hours to creating magic items.

The human mind is 100% NOT made for constant awakeness. Even if you don't need to physically sleep, your mind needs that downtime. or else insanity is in your future. Though, you'd have to be pretty insane to become a lich in the first place.
There anything there for a lich to "turn off" for a while?

How do sorcerers regain their spells? V only has to trance for a few hours, then just sort of just chills for X hours.
Xykon just standing in the corner of a room for 8 hours, motionless.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Johnny Aztec posted:

That's what paladins are for.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Johnny Aztec posted:

I was thinking about a comment Xykon made back in Azure city. How he doesnt need to (or does he say Cant?) sleep, but can only devote 8 hours to creating magic items.

The human mind is 100% NOT made for constant awakeness. Even if you don't need to physically sleep, your mind needs that downtime. or else insanity is in your future. Though, you'd have to be pretty insane to become a lich in the first place.

How do sorcerers regain their spells? V only has to trance for a few hours, then just sort of just chills for X hours.
Xykon just standing in the corner of a room for 8 hours, motionless.

The lich's mind stops having human psychology very quickly after I death, as it's no long operating on meat hardware and isn't subject to the same sensory inputs it is used to. They can still experience emotions, but without the input of an endocrine system, they're not necessarily going to have them for the same reasons the living do. It's not at all uncommon for a lich to be come nearly completely emotionless as time goes on, especially if the original being wasn't particularly emotional to start with.

Certainly a lich can go insane, and quite a few do. However, since the whole purpose of lichdom is to preserve the mind to the exclusion of all other considerations, combined with the fact that there are more than a few notable liches that are sane and ancient, I would suggest that insanity is neither inherent nor inevitable for a lich. There's also the risk that a lich's actions might seem insane only because those effected by it simply do not understand all of the factors motivating it.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

A.o.D. posted:

There's also the risk that a lich's actions might seem insane only because those effected by it simply do not understand all of the factors motivating it.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
May not be running on physical meat hardware, but it's architecture is still there. A human mind NEEDS to sleep, to dream. Whether you're a lich, a vampire, a consciousness infused into a golem. Doesn't matter.
it is needed.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's magic.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I met a skeleton and it was asleep like, all the time

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Johnny Aztec posted:

May not be running on physical meat hardware, but it's architecture is still there. A human mind NEEDS to sleep, to dream. Whether you're a lich, a vampire, a consciousness infused into a golem. Doesn't matter.
it is needed.

During sleep your meathead heals itself and removes metabolic wastes. It doesn't seem in any manner relevant for a lich - without a physical brain, how would toxins accumulate there in the first place?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I feel like this depends a lot on the setting. Faerun being the most lax in terms of how Lich's work.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Nenonen posted:

During sleep your meathead heals itself and removes metabolic wastes. It doesn't seem in any manner relevant for a lich - without a physical brain, how would toxins accumulate there in the first place?

It's not the physical stuff. It's the dreaming.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I would expect there to be a lot of psychological issues stemming from becoming a lich and you could explore it within your own game (this would be one heck of a high powered game if it's a PC :v: ) or you can just handwave it and assume something in the magic that takes your soul out of your body and sticks it into a little box or what have you also does something to the way dreaming works. Cause remember, this is D&D, a world where the thing that fundamentally makes you you can be directly manipulated with magic!

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 7, 2020

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
do liches dream of skeletal sheep

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Another important thing about Xykon is that as powerful as he is, he's TERRIBLE at being a lich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Eh, I mean he murked a decent number of good-aligned high level spell-casters, conquered a city of paladins and is pretty drat close to destroying/conquering the world. I would say that's pretty impressive record even for a lich.