Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

The Clevo x170 model is a new option too in the DTR space (by that I mean desktop cpu and higher wattage GPU). It's rebranded by various system integrators. I'll probably be looking at that when the nvidia 3000 series hits.

It is the successor to the p775 Clevo chassis which was that falcon northwest drx one.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

I got a new dell xps 13 9300 from work since they want to cut back on buying everybody MBPs now (cost savings duh). Apparently this piece of poo poo throttles the CPU to almost nothing at low battery (noticeable at 50%, impossible to deal with at 20%), and there's no way to turn it off? Is this a thing companies are doing now?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
My daughter needs a non-chromebook laptop for school. She shouldn't be running anything more robust than MS Office maybe since this will be a "school only" laptop. I know I'm gonna shoot for 8gb of ram at least, but can I get away with not spending over $500? Read the last few pages of the thread and it seems like 700ish is gonna be cheapest option. I haven't looked at non macbook laptops in over 15 years and I'm way out the game. Help!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

poemdexter posted:

My daughter needs a non-chromebook laptop for school. She shouldn't be running anything more robust than MS Office maybe since this will be a "school only" laptop. I know I'm gonna shoot for 8gb of ram at least, but can I get away with not spending over $500? Read the last few pages of the thread and it seems like 700ish is gonna be cheapest option. I haven't looked at non macbook laptops in over 15 years and I'm way out the game. Help!

Search for 2020 budget laptops since many of big name review sites (Digital Trends) have guides for the $500 to $1000 price range and also you need figure out what sort config would be best (2-1 vs Clamshell).

I'm guessing a ultrabook or 2-1 would be the best config fit since gaming / discrete GPU is not a must have feature. A ultrabook or 2-1 is a good fit for students since things like battery life and portability are key must have performance features.

For people who prefer Apple products the new revamped Macbook Air has a pretty good base price point close to $1000.

August is also one of the better times of year to buy a laptop since all the big name companies tend to have back to school discount pricing to clear out some more inventory near the of Q3. Many big box stores like Best Buy also offer some additional back to school sales this time of year.

I know many reviews mentioned C640 a good pick for light use for people on a sub-$1000 budget.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/best-budget-laptops/

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
So I purchased this Thinkpad E14 because I thought it was a pretty good deal, and apparently it was such a good deal it didn't actually exist as I received a phone call stating the order had been canceled.

Now I'm trying to find something to replace it and nothing feels like a good fit. Gaming/heavy processing doesn't matter to me, but I want a laptop that can handle a good amount of multitasking and still feel snappy, and I don't want a chromebook because I want to try installing/playing with a lot of different linux distros and I feel like I would feel limited with less than 256gbs of storage. My price range is $450-600, although now that I'm writing this out, I probably do actually just want a $800 laptop for $500 and that's where my dissatisfaction is coming from.

Has anyone found anything comparable to the (apparently fake?) Thinkpad E deal I linked above?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Scrree posted:

. My price range is $450-600, although now that I'm writing this out, I probably do actually just want a $800 laptop for $500 and that's where my dissatisfaction is coming from.

Has anyone found anything comparable to the (apparently fake?) Thinkpad E deal I linked above?

You get get a bog standard, brand new T490 for $749 straight from Lenovo's site

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-t-series/c/thinkpadt#compareSection

I would just do that. Or get a refurbished model off eBay for $600

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
oh hot drat they finally killed the 768p display!! hallelujah!

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I know the T490 it doesn't have an external battery but is the internal replaceable (I'm not afraid of screwdrivers)? I've been eyeing a used T470 that looks brand new (still under warranty for a year so he claims) on my local classified ads that is going for four hundo Canadian, but I wouldn't necessarily object to paying twice that for an actual new device from the manufacturer given I tend to keep a laptop for nearly a decade before swapping. Not being able to change out a worn battery after a few years would be a no go for me.

Edit: Looks like it is easily replaceable and even the OEM battery is rather affordable.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Aug 7, 2020

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Tatsuta Age posted:

I got a new dell xps 13 9300 from work since they want to cut back on buying everybody MBPs now (cost savings duh). Apparently this piece of poo poo throttles the CPU to almost nothing at low battery (noticeable at 50%, impossible to deal with at 20%), and there's no way to turn it off? Is this a thing companies are doing now?

Mine doesn't do this — maybe some kind of power policy applied via GPO at work?

Most aggravating thing about it is no S3 sleep on Win10 2004. Hoping Microsoft walks that back at some point.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
This G14 is really impressive, from someone that's been limping along with a Sandy/Ivy Bridge desktop for a long time, and then a low power ultrabook for the last year as well. It does get loud and hot but tweaking the power setting for boost helped keep max temps under control. My one complaint is that the fingerprint reader seems to be the worst one I've come across yet. My Matebook X Pro is as good as my Pixel (almost no misses), the Thinkpad at work needed me to add the same finger 2-3 times to work mostly consistently, and this one works maybe 10% of the time so far even after adding my finger 3-4 times, deleting them and adding them again, etc. Other than that, what a great little machine.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

sirbeefalot posted:

This G14 is really impressive, from someone that's been limping along with a Sandy/Ivy Bridge desktop for a long time, and then a low power ultrabook for the last year as well. It does get loud and hot but tweaking the power setting for boost helped keep max temps under control. My one complaint is that the fingerprint reader seems to be the worst one I've come across yet. My Matebook X Pro is as good as my Pixel (almost no misses), the Thinkpad at work needed me to add the same finger 2-3 times to work mostly consistently, and this one works maybe 10% of the time so far even after adding my finger 3-4 times, deleting them and adding them again, etc. Other than that, what a great little machine.

Yeah the G14 fingerprint reader ready does have issues, check the windows software update center since at least for the one I brought (MFG in May per date code on bottom) there was a fingerprint biometrics software update for the reader and also a BIOS update which did seem to improve things.

Even with the fix it's not up to the same level as gold standards for biometric log-in features especially since no IR Cam means no Windows hello login.

I'd go as far as to say it's the best multi-purpose laptop of 2020 given at least the amount of value you are getting for the $1450 version assuming you can live with the few issues which hopefully will improve over time like the thermal management options.

I haven't seen the $2000 version in the US but honestly that version doesn't make sense since only HW changes are the LED cover feature & having a slightly better 60HZ IPS display.

I'd recommend the $1450 version to people who have the budget since it's a big performance improvement over the cheapest version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrzAIXmHsUs

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Anyone looking for a basic laptop in the $500 range, Costco has a pretty nice Acer Swift on sale for $500. Comes with 2yr warranty, 4yr if you use the Costco Visa card.

https://www.costco.com/acer-swift-3-14%22-laptop---ryzen-5-4500u---1080p.product.100575638.html

AMD Ryzen 5 4500U 2.3GHz Processor
14" 1920x1080 FHD IPS LED Display w/ HD Webcam
512GB PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive SSD
8GB LPDDR4 RAM
AMD Radeon Graphics
Intel WiFi 6 Gig+ w/ Bluetooth 5.0
Fingerprint Reader
Windows 10 Home (64-Bit)
Inputs
USB 3.2 (Type-C Gen 2)
USB 3.2 (Type-C Gen1)
USB 2.0
HDMI

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Hadlock posted:

In theory bad, but in 20+ years I've never seen a screen impacted by local laptop heat, so probably ok. You might be the first one though!

i've had a laptop not standby and/or wake up while in my backpack twice on me so far. one of them didn't care at all because modern power states means an idling laptop with screen turned off uses only a couple watts, it was just slightly hot but no problems.

the old vaio z got real goddamn hot though and the lcd was all weird in the corner where the heat outlet is when i opened it. when it cooled down after a few minutes, it worked normally again. you'd have to heat it up real bad to do real damage to it i think.

e: i'd still keep it open tho, laptops put a decent amount of heat out through the keyboard these days, so it might help with throttling?

Truga fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Aug 8, 2020

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

The place around the physical switch for the dGPU and iGPU on the old Vaio Z-11/2/3 got so drat hot it'd burn your finger if you left it there for more than about a second. Like, a pot that's just been boiling water hot. On my Aero 15 the finstack is right below the little forehead above the keyboard of the deck, and that too gets uncomfortably hot though never as hot as my old Z1 did.

I loved that little sucker.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

FCKGW posted:

Anyone looking for a basic laptop in the $500 range, Costco has a pretty nice Acer Swift on sale for $500. Comes with 2yr warranty, 4yr if you use the Costco Visa card.

https://www.costco.com/acer-swift-3-14%22-laptop---ryzen-5-4500u---1080p.product.100575638.html

AMD Ryzen 5 4500U 2.3GHz Processor
14" 1920x1080 FHD IPS LED Display w/ HD Webcam
512GB PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive SSD
8GB LPDDR4 RAM
AMD Radeon Graphics
Intel WiFi 6 Gig+ w/ Bluetooth 5.0
Fingerprint Reader
Windows 10 Home (64-Bit)
Inputs
USB 3.2 (Type-C Gen 2)
USB 3.2 (Type-C Gen1)
USB 2.0
HDMI

I know the Acer Swift 3 got some positive review from people such as in the Dave Lee review as a solid budget laptop.

Ryzen 4500 also gives it pretty strong performance and can do 1080p low settings for casual 3fdxdx games.

Only dealbreaker from the review is low brightness and color accuracy for the panel performance, not surprising since sub 1000 laptops have to cut corners for the hardware specs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDmRpcQQPUo

etalian fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 8, 2020

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
What's the over/under of the 13" HP X360 Envy 4500U having decent support?
Someone mentioned in another thread of issues with the thing not being able to use stock drivers, but is this one any different?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

On a random note the new GaN USB-C PD updated chargers are really neat which were first announced at CES.

I bought the Rav Power 65W charger and it's a noticeably smaller footprint than my old Atom Anker charger with similar max power.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

etalian posted:

On a random note the new GaN USB-C PD updated chargers are really neat which were first announced at CES.

I bought the Rav Power 65W charger and it's a noticeably smaller footprint than my old Atom Anker charger with similar max power.

Yeah weirdly power adapters have probably seen the most technological advancement in the last decade when it comes to PC technology

This is an old xbox power supply from ~2001. I think in 10 years kids are going to wonder where the "brick" part of "power brick" came from

I've been replacing my power adapters with 65w GaN adapters, they're loving brilliant, highly reccomend, especially since they travel so well and will also charge your cell phone

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Hadlock posted:

This is an old xbox power supply from ~2001. I think in 10 years kids are going to wonder where the "brick" part of "power brick" came from

What's the wattage?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Rinkles posted:

What's the wattage?

The XBox One ran 220W and wasn't much smaller.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Yeah weirdly power adapters have probably seen the most technological advancement in the last decade when it comes to PC technology

I've been replacing my power adapters with 65w GaN adapters, they're loving brilliant, highly reccomend, especially since they travel so well and will also charge your cell phone

I got this one and works really great with my new Asus G14 for whenever I want to leave the larger 180W power brick at home.

All I need to put in my electronics good bag when travelling is the 65W charger, USB-C cable and a lightning cable for my Apple devices.

https://www.ravpower.com/products/rp-pc133-pd-gan-65wusb-c-wall-charger

Footprint is 2.2"x2.2"

The biggest size 90W Rav Power charger measures 2.5"x2.5"

Pretty crazy how they can fit the much output power in a smaller foot print, it's not much bigger than the old Apple 12W Ipad Apple charger.

New chargers also offer improved power sharing when you have both ports charging at the same time to split up the power more efficiently.

etalian fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 9, 2020

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
I''m considering a laptop to replace my 2014 era Gigabyte. Since I want to aim more capable than my current and able to do lots of local storage and virtualization work when I am out of town, the ideal is the following:

Zen 2 APU
Shipped with or upgradable to 32GB
Dual storage (2x NVMe or NVMe+SATA)

I was looking around and saw the HP Probook 445 or 455. Any other current options?

Irving.jpg
Feb 5, 2007

Rhythm and blues.
So my parents laptop has finally given up the ghost. They are UK based and have a budget of around £200-300 for a replacement. Really all they do is internet browsing, youtube, netflix and twitch.tv for sure. They want windows 10 for familiarity. Any recommendations I can link them, preferably on amazon UK.

Irving.jpg fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 9, 2020

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Killer robot posted:

I''m considering a laptop to replace my 2014 era Gigabyte. Since I want to aim more capable than my current and able to do lots of local storage and virtualization work when I am out of town, the ideal is the following:

Zen 2 APU
Shipped with or upgradable to 32GB
Dual storage (2x NVMe or NVMe+SATA)

I was looking around and saw the HP Probook 445 or 455. Any other current options?

Sounds like workstation would be the best bet since they have the space for features like dual NVME SSDs?

All the major brands offer a workstation focused product line like like the Lenovo P-series, HP Z-series Dell Precision.

Budget would be another filter item.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Irving.jpg posted:

So my parents laptop has finally given up the ghost. They are UK based and have a budget of around £200-300 for a replacement. Really all they do is internet browsing, youtube, netflix and twitch.tv for sure. They want windows 10 for familiarity. Any recommendations I can link them, preferably on amazon UK.

I would propably look for a refurbished business class laptop. 8 GB of RAM and a SSD drive should be suitable, unless they need significant storage.

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/st/refurbished-laptops

Irving.jpg
Feb 5, 2007

Rhythm and blues.

Saukkis posted:

I would propably look for a refurbished business class laptop. 8 GB of RAM and a SSD drive should be suitable, unless they need significant storage.

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/st/refurbished-laptops

Thanks man, ill send it forward.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I like how outdated the thread title is and yet it's only one node step away from Intels shipping processors still.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SRQ posted:

I like how outdated the thread title is and yet it's only one node step away from Intels shipping processors still.

Thread will be updated once intel achieves their roadmap of making a laptop processor that turbos up to 200W!

But seriously the laptop mega-thread should be killed and refreshed at least once year given the amount of changes / new tech that gets released each year. Like how the OP doesn't even mention the latest notebook GPUs like the new RTX naming convention.

Also would help to re-vamp the recommendation section since it does not reflect some popular newer form factors like the 2-1.

etalian fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 10, 2020

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

No need since nobody reads the OP anyway

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

ee: just now realized that there is a whole subforum for these questions

TeenageArchipelago fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Aug 10, 2020

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

No need since nobody reads the OP anyway

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

^^^ I read the OP and it looks a little out of date so I'm asking for a goonpick. My wife needs a new laptop with these needs/wants

1 TB SSD
~ 15 inch screen
Can run Diablo 3 decently
In the $1-1.5k range

She's always plugged in and doesn't travel with it too much so weight and battery life aren't super important.

Are any of these a good value?
https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/sho...chspecs_section
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...p?skuId=6408461
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/gaming-laptops/new-dell-g7-15-gaming-laptop/spd/g-series-15-7500-laptop/gn7500ectks

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

^^^ I read the OP and it looks a little out of date so I'm asking for a goonpick. My wife needs a new laptop with these needs/wants

1 TB SSD
~ 15 inch screen
In the $1-1.5k range

She's always plugged in and doesn't travel with it too much so weight and battery life aren't super important.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/gaming-laptops/new-dell-g7-15-gaming-laptop/spd/g-series-15-7500-laptop/gn7500ectks

Consider the Asus G14 as well since it's within the price range and gets better overall performance than intel 6 Core / 1660 builds due to the combination of a 2060 + Ryzen 4900HS.

etalian fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 12, 2020

Joker
Aug 6, 2001

1 TB SSD
~ 15 inch screen
In the $1-1.5k range

I went with the Rp-15. Been getting pretty good reviews. The battery life isn’t as good as the G14, but it should be a bit cheaper and the screen is slightly bigger and better. Mine should be shipping this week.

https://www.eluktronics.com/RP-15/

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

1 TB SSD
~ 15 inch screen
In the $1-1.5k range

For what it's worth, I was test driving both the Vostro 15 7500 you have linked and the Asus ROG G14 that Etalian referenced. I really liked both, but ultimately went with the Vostro since my intended use for it was very similar to your wife's, and it helped that with the 15% Dell coupon floating around, I got the Vostro with the 4 year Prosupport Plus (has accident coverage) for about $1,200.

It is "thermally limited" but after a lot of testing between the two, the games I was playing (including D3) could be run by either pretty well, and having the slightly larger screen and numpad won out. The G14 also still feels like a work in progress, but I bet next year's revision is going to be amazing (and I'll probably want it).

After keeping the Vostro, I put a 1 TB WD SN750 in for apps, moved the stock 1 TB to the second M.2 slot to use as storage/etc., and also bumped the ramp up to 40 GB running in Flex mode, so it has some decent expansion flexibility too.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Also Diablo 3 is 8 year old game since any newer dGPU from the NvidiaTuring series (1050s/1000s) should be able to handle it with no issue.

Notebookcheck often has comprehensive benchmarks for the more popular 3D games that covers a wide range of hardwar.

3D gaming in general tends be GPU rather than CPU limited.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Diablo-III-Benchmarked.74918.0.html

etalian fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 12, 2020

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
Will any laptop with a compatible USB C/3.2 port work on a Dell docking station, or is there a way to check compatibility? I have a fairly comfortable home office setup but have been running on a work laptop/personal iOS device setup for years and would like to get back into hobbyist tinkering, which I definitely cannot do on my locked down to hell work device. Thinking cheap, I wouldn’t run a ton locally and gaming isn’t currently a priority (using it to build a picade, maybe).

Bonus Q given that I already have the KVM setup I like, would a desktop be more bang for the buck? Are those dockable?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

King Bahamut posted:

Will any laptop with a compatible USB C/3.2 port work on a Dell docking station, or is there a way to check compatibility? I have a fairly comfortable home office setup but have been running on a work laptop/personal iOS device setup for years and would like to get back into hobbyist tinkering, which I definitely cannot do on my locked down to hell work device. Thinking cheap, I wouldn’t run a ton locally and gaming isn’t currently a priority (using it to build a picade, maybe).

Bonus Q given that I already have the KVM setup I like, would a desktop be more bang for the buck? Are those dockable?

Yes should work as long as it's a newer laptop since I think the USB standards and hardware have settled better in terms of "plug + pray" performance

I know I currently use a HP Thunderbolt dock with both my working from home company laptop (HP x360-Intel Thunderbolt) and my G14 (Only USB-C 3.2) without any issues.

I'm assuming everything is happy from a bandwidth point of view when I use the G14 since I only have a single 1080p monitor in setup.

https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-t...underbolt-dock-

etalian fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 12, 2020

Neurostorm
Sep 2, 2011
My wife needs a new laptop for work and general use, and she would prefer a mac if possible. Ideally 512GB of storage and 16GB of ram. We found this deal on a 13" MBP with those specs for $1600: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-...p?skuId=6287726 but I was wondering what the threads current thoughts were on Mac laptops (the Air with similar specs is only $100 cheaper). Assuming we're willing to pay the premium for mac, is that a decent deal? Or should I take this to the hardware thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There's a dedicated Mac thread, they may have best insight on current deals. $1300 seems pretty reasonable for a brand new MBP. The 2020 air is supposed to be really quite good though as well