Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

jesus that was a disaster

Horizon Zero Dawn problems:

- opened to a 10-20 minute "optimizing this for your system" screen that ate up another 10-20 gigs while it worked
- opened up in fullscreen borderless (fine), asked for subtitle language and such (fine) and then launched into a long cutscene without ever letting me pause it or quit to a menu (bad)
- the cutscene was in-engine, stuttered BADLY and kept stuttering - graphics, audio, yowch
- it FINALLY released me to the main menu
- where it stuttered. even the audio.
- i set the settings to the lowest. no change. stutter stutter stutter.
- opened benchmark tool
- waited some minutes for something to happen
- sighed, closed game, it closed....
- but it didn't. steam showed it still running. I had to task-manager it closed.

so like, my laptop may or may not be beefy enough for this but also that is insanely bad jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Flimf posted:

Remnant from the ashes is going to be free on Epic game store 13-20th august.

https://www.pcgamer.com/remnant-from-the-ashes-goes-free-on-epic-games-store-next-week/

How was the expansion to the game?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Morter posted:

Yeah that's what I have. At least the recommended version. Is optional better?

It's newer. You're playing a new game (and a badly ported one at that). Not surprising it wants a much newer driver.

StrixNebulosa posted:

jesus that was a disaster

Horizon Zero Dawn problems:

- opened to a 10-20 minute "optimizing this for your system" screen that ate up another 10-20 gigs while it worked
- opened up in fullscreen borderless (fine), asked for subtitle language and such (fine) and then launched into a long cutscene without ever letting me pause it or quit to a menu (bad)
- the cutscene was in-engine, stuttered BADLY and kept stuttering - graphics, audio, yowch
- it FINALLY released me to the main menu
- where it stuttered. even the audio.
- i set the settings to the lowest. no change. stutter stutter stutter.
- opened benchmark tool
- waited some minutes for something to happen
- sighed, closed game, it closed....
- but it didn't. steam showed it still running. I had to task-manager it closed.

so like, my laptop may or may not be beefy enough for this but also that is insanely bad jesus

Amazing. It's like every bad port of the past 10 years merged into one.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!
Horizon Zero Dawn:
Intro ran with no stutter on my end, made some tweaks and ran a benchmark

So I guess I may be one of the lucky ones since after this tweak almost all popin was gone

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The 10-15 minutes of ~optimization~ on the first run is normal for DX12/Vulkan games, pre-compiling all the shaders helps prevent stutters later, but it clearly isn't enough in this case lol

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Put a couple of hours into Horizon and it's going pretty well for me, running in 1440p and I'm getting more than 60fps most of the time, but I am still in the opening areas and haven't gotten in any hectic fights yet, we'll see if that holds up. Only problem I've had is when I tried forcing anisotropic filtering 16x like Digital Foundry recommended I got some glitchy textures, but turning that off fixed it.

My PC is pretty beefy, but I've heard of people with better PCs getting worse performance. I guess I just have a lucky mix of hardware that works well for this port?

I'm running with and i7-9700K, an RTX2070 Super and 16 gigs of ram.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

The benchmark is apparently not representative of game performance, you have to get into the first area with tall grass past the intro to see if you have a blessed or cursed machine.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/551620/view/2755593078928295795

Approaching Infinity sells better for 10$ on steam instead of for 40$ on some random publisher website, who knew?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Zikan posted:

The benchmark is apparently not representative of game performance, you have to get into the first area with tall grass past the intro to see if you have a blessed or cursed machine.

It’s a lovely benchmark, it’s just a city scene with people walking around and nothing that’s really going to press the machine.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Ugly In The Morning posted:

EVGA does have a step-up program where you register one of their cards and pay the difference+send in the old card when the new line releases. It’s only valid for 90 days though. I’d suggest reading about that.

dang thanks for the heads up, this seems neat.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The thing to be careful about is making sure you’ll have the money handy when the new cards drop and also not pulling the trigger too soon, since you do only have it for 90 days. You SHOULD be fine.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Huh. Horizon:Zero Dawn may be the first time I affirmatively regret ordering a game through GMG. Yes, nice 20% discount, but I'm pretty sure I'm prohibited from refunding it post-release, regardless of how buggy it is. Guess I'll find out tonight if it doesn't work on my system and I give the refund process a shot, but the terms... don't look friendly.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Xander77 posted:

Doesn't work to capture the game either. Weird black magic.

I did manage to get steam screenshots working for Sorcery 1. That doesn't work anymore, but there must be some sort of workaround.

Does the screenshot hotkey on the windows game bar game bar game bar work? Or maybe mess with the compatibility settings (on the exe) or play with the full screen / windowed optione

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Orv posted:

Quake Champions is extremely bad!

This is even after they did a lot of work and made it markedly better than it used to be, when it was excruciatingly awful!

The gameplay seemed fine to me but when I tried it there were only like 300 players, total, so I was just getting completely annihilated by eSports pros every round

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I really don't care for this Spintires game... it's too slow and annoying.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I think it takes a certain sort of brokebrain (such as myself) to get enjoyment out of the loop of getting stuck and unstuck over and over again, but I will say that Spintires is the earliest game in the series and as a result feels pretty old in a lot of ways. Snowrunner, the newest in the series (and an epic exclusive sadly) is by far the most gamey feeling one of these games they've done with clear missions and goals and upgrade paths for your trucks.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

explosivo posted:

I think it takes a certain sort of brokebrain (such as myself) to get enjoyment out of the loop of getting stuck and unstuck over and over again, but I will say that Spintires is the earliest game in the series and as a result feels pretty old in a lot of ways. Snowrunner, the newest in the series (and an epic exclusive sadly) is by far the most gamey feeling one of these games they've done with clear missions and goals and upgrade paths for your trucks.

Getting unstuck is this weird mix of planning and intuition that feels really satisfying to me. Never played spintires but snow runner is fun as hell.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah, and you also get a bit of a metroidvania thing going on as you come across areas that you either have to go "nah gently caress that" or just try to drive through and literally get swept away in a river or something. Then you get to come back in your jacked up truck with offroad tires and suspension and loving blast straight through later and it feels real good.

Edit: Man, I stopped playing Snowrunner for other poo poo but I really should get back in there. It's definitely a good podcast/second monitor video watchin' game.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 7, 2020

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Memnaelar posted:

Huh. Horizon:Zero Dawn may be the first time I affirmatively regret ordering a game through GMG. Yes, nice 20% discount, but I'm pretty sure I'm prohibited from refunding it post-release, regardless of how buggy it is. Guess I'll find out tonight if it doesn't work on my system and I give the refund process a shot, but the terms... don't look friendly.

Their policy is no refunds once you get a key, I bet if you harass them enough they would do it but seems likely that would be a one time deal.

Fwiw HZD is running reasonably okay on my system.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Hub Cat posted:

Their policy is no refunds once you get a key, I bet if you harass them enough they would do it but seems likely that would be a one time deal.

Fwiw HZD is running reasonably okay on my system.

I got a refund on SOTS2 from them back in the day but that was catastrophically bad.

How bad you may ask? There were several patches released to fix things spawning in the centre of the sun, and one of the patches fixed asteroids kidnapping admirals. Those weren't even the worst issues. :v:

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Lol I forgot how bad SotS 2 was, so lucky I didn't preorder that one. Might be fun to dig up the old thread.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I still like a lot of SotS 2 :(

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Falcorum posted:

I got a refund on SOTS2 from them back in the day but that was catastrophically bad.

How bad you may ask? There were several patches released to fix things spawning in the centre of the sun, and one of the patches fixed asteroids kidnapping admirals. Those weren't even the worst issues. :v:

There were numerous divide by zero errors, IIRC.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Hub Cat posted:

Lol I forgot how bad SotS 2 was, so lucky I didn't preorder that one. Might be fun to dig up the old thread.
Lol yeah I'm a huge SotS1 fan so I can't believe I managed to dodge that bullet.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

GreenBuckanneer posted:

There was this old game I dunno if anyone played, I had a demo, called Screamer 4x4 - it was basically a kind of rock-crawling 4x4 time-trial game, where you had to navigate this off-road stage by passing through gates. But the challenge was the terrain, trying to drag yourself up hills or control your momentum so you could pass around a big rock and through the gate without rolling yourself over. And trying to figure out the right line to take so you could keep your speed up and beat your best time

here's a spanish version!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aatciW32Mhk&t=19s

anyhow it was a cool concept and I didn't really know of anything else that went for that idea until Spintires came out. Which never ran for more than a minute without crashing for me, so no idea how similar it actually is! But if that slow-ish, careful navigation idea appeals to you but you want more action, it might be worth a look - it's on gog now apparently

e- the game is old as heck so I've no idea if it holds up :shobon:

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 7, 2020

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Falcorum posted:

I loving love hearing about these sorts of things sans context, this is probably the best one I've heard since the Sims 3 patch notes. :lol:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Nobody mentioned it yet but Humble Choice is also doing something different for this month's special promotion: The higher-end and grandfathered classic plans get to have all 12 games instead of needing to choose 10 and skip 2.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I loving love hearing about these sorts of things sans context, this is probably the best one I've heard since the Sims 3 patch notes. :lol:

The SOTS2 patch notes are an actual work of art and I'm sad that that seem to be gone from the forums forever.

Almost as sad as I am that I preordered that game :v:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

John Murdoch posted:

Nobody mentioned it yet but Humble Choice is also doing something different for this month's special promotion: The higher-end and grandfathered classic plans get to have all 12 games instead of needing to choose 10 and skip 2.

This month that is definitely solving a problem that didn’t exist.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

For me it's Wargroove for :10bux: + a handful of other games that look cool. The headliners aren't very good but a lot of people want them so they'll be easy to get rid of.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Psycho Landlord posted:

The SOTS2 patch notes are an actual work of art and I'm sad that that seem to be gone from the forums forever.

I got you fam

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yeah, that’s kinda the point of the game. Maybe better off giving it a skip if you’re not fond.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Yeah, that’s kinda the point of the game. Maybe better off giving it a skip if you’re not fond.

I just don't enjoy getting stuck

It's like driving the Mako up the nose map planets on Mass Effect 1, except worse.

Like, it would be one thing if it was due to getting stuck on an already muddy path, when I should have offroaded more to the not mud dirt, but everything is deformable and you can get stuck easily no matter what, the controls are awkward and weird, some parts you can only use the mouse/keyboard for, it's clunky and un-intuitive, and it's not clear what you're supposed to be even doing. Like, massive meh.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 7, 2020

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Humble Choice 'headliners' now just seem to be games that have been available on other subscription services for months already. Sure, you get to own them forever, but if I haven't played Wargroove or Vampyr by now on Game Pass, I'm probably never going to. And if I get a sudden urge to play them, well, they're on Game Pass......

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Yeah kinda feels like Gamepass has killed Humble Choice. At $5 a month I don't see myself unsubscribing from Gamepass any time soon.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I mean gamepass exists and is fine but I really, really prefer owning games to renting them.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yeah but you buy steam games?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
RIP Gametap, you were too good for this world

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

StrixNebulosa posted:

I mean gamepass exists and is fine but I really, really prefer owning games to renting them.

Same but also I almost never found Humble to have games I actually WANTED. It's a great value if you just want lots of games for not lots of money, but I can't be the only one who only really ever used it because of the charity aspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Humble actually helped me out the other day. A group of people I game with on Discord became interested in the game Squad, and it turns out I already owned it from Humble's November 2019 offering. Really neat game, btw. That and Hell Let Loose are both pretty dang good, though to be honest those are the only two of that game type I have ever played.