Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

SlothfulCobra posted:

I guess it's impressive that so many people have changed their minds about the cartoon after learning about the abuse.

honestly I'm seeing even people who loved the OG show despite it all be like

"no"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Count me among those, even if in retrospect a huge part of it is just the magical memories I forged discovering the show at a host family's house on a band trip in high school. It felt like a whole universe of devil-may-care weirdness opening before me

I'm under no illusions that "more of thing you remember from long ago" is a guaranteed winner. Sometimes it's worked out well, but I feel like this kind of exercise is just tired and not worth the effort anymore.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I'm willing to give it a shot before calling it crap, but I do agree the odds are kinda against it

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

drrockso20 posted:

I'm willing to give it a shot before calling it crap, but I do agree the odds are kinda against it

Considering the baggage it has just at the start? Why bother?

I'm not going to call it crap. I don't really care that John K, ain't getting paid for any part of it. It does, however raise his stock, and bring him more positive attention, when he should have none.

He'll be able to stick his head outside in some chud-sphere where The Quartering, Roosh, Sargon, or Comics Gate can muddy the waters around it all and go, "I made that..." and potentially lure more people into his horrible web.

gently caress it. gently caress him. Let it die.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

drrockso20 posted:

That’s where I’m at. It being on Comedy Central doesn’t fill me with confidence but I’m willing to see what they manage to put together. Hopefully they learn from the last revival attempt by sticking to shorts rather than 22 minute stories and try to make it something both kids and adults can enjoy.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Ren and Stimpy was experimental at a time when experimentation in TV animation had just become possible thanks to the proliferation of cable channels and the expansion of animation budgets. Some of the skits were good, a lot of them were bad, but either way the show helped to push boundaries and create a space that later shows were able to use to great effect.

I think that's what has me the most leery about the new show. Ren and Stimpy became famous not just for what it did but for when it did it. The new show can't experiment in the same ways as the original because either other shows have pushed the boundaries further since then or else they ignored those boundaries because the first show proved they led nowhere. And if the show wants to experiment in new ways by pushing modern boundaries, it'd be better off starting with a new IP that doesn't have the same baggage or expectations.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm pretty surprised that everybody's already down on it even without John K's involvement. Like I personally hate it automatically because I hated the original show and don't think the IP has anything to offer the current era, but I always got the impression that a lot of people somehow remembered it fondly.

I guess it's impressive that so many people have changed their minds about the cartoon after learning about the abuse.

Abusive creator aside, I think that Ren and Stimpy has not aged well at all.

Edit: Everything Ren and Stimpy did, Rocko's Modern Life did better.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

PicklePants posted:

Considering the baggage it has just at the start? Why bother?

I'm not going to call it crap. I don't really care that John K, ain't getting paid for any part of it. It does, however raise his stock, and bring him more positive attention, when he should have none.

He'll be able to stick his head outside in some chud-sphere where The Quartering, Roosh, Sargon, or Comics Gate can muddy the waters around it all and go, "I made that..." and potentially lure more people into his horrible web.

gently caress it. gently caress him. Let it die.

Fortunately, the man is incapable of producing work at any speed. If you look at the results of unlabeled cans, and realized that this 15 minute pile of garbage took years to make, you'll be happy to know he's not going to do anything.

But you're still completely right. There's no value of reviving his properties. All it does is increase his mythology, and it further removes the truth. He was a terrible person who was a good animator but a terrible show runner, and got upset that a kid's television channel wanted him to deliver shows that were safe for kids.

His disgusting behavior shows you that he isn't misunderstood. He's just a terrible person.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I seriously wonder how many people started out their journey into adulthood (as I did) feeling personally aggrieved at people like Vanessa Coffey and the kid who burned his house down because Beavis said "fire", for ruining all the rest of our fun. And riding that feeling right on into libertarian/terf/nazi shitheadville

Of course today it's still happening, it's all those anti-SJW gamers seeing the Tiddy Police behind every bush

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

SolarFire2 posted:

Abusive creator aside, I think that Ren and Stimpy has not aged well at all.

Edit: Everything Ren and Stimpy did, Rocko's Modern Life did better.

Hell, Rocko even had a decent movie return.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

I Am Fowl posted:

Hell, Rocko even had a decent movie return.

Zim too surprisingly. At the same time I'm quite happy with those being fond farewells to their franchises.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’d say Zim revived better than Rocko.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Data Graham posted:

I seriously wonder how many people started out their journey into adulthood (as I did) feeling personally aggrieved at people like Vanessa Coffey and the kid who burned his house down because Beavis said "fire", for ruining all the rest of our fun. And riding that feeling right on into libertarian/terf/nazi shitheadville

Of course today it's still happening, it's all those anti-SJW gamers seeing the Tiddy Police behind every bush
I'd say people of different politics might say similarly of the politics of different people in here, which is why these kinds of crossover discussions should be careful.

I can't think of too many cartoons I'd have less faith in without the original creator's involvement. You pull the John K out of Ren and Stimpy and what do you really have? This thread's hit it from like six angles, such a fantastically terrible idea

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Daikloktos posted:

You pull the John K out of Ren and Stimpy and what do you really have?

The Ren and Stimpy episodes that were actually good.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

I haven't seen much Ren & Stimpy but the post-John K episodes I remember being good were the ones directed by Chris Reccardi and he died in a surfing accident last year

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
https://twitter.com/CloseEnoughMax/status/1291406587983278086

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The_Doctor posted:

I’d say Zim revived better than Rocko.

I liked the Zim revival more, but the Rocko revival was also good.

Yay!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP4VYnQ5q3Q

This looks...bad.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Hits all the "terrible adult animation" red flags - all the jokes are just people swearing profusely, having sex weird, or having slapstick violence rendered upon them. Plus the protagonist looks to be yet another terrible, acerbic rear end in a top hat who you're meant to root for despite this as he very, very marginally improves but then actually doesn't.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Please, for the love of God, please let them make 22 minute episodes without a strict adherence to TBS's S&P. The show really felt gimped by those two decisions and I feel like JG Quintel and his team have a lot more potential in them than what the first season delivered, if only they were allowed to do it on their own terms.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's only a trailer, so don't go too hard on it.

There's probably a second, maybe even third joke in the actual series.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I actually really liked Star Trek The Lower Decks.

It's funny, the animation is very fluid, and the main character Mariner is a lot of fun. I recommend giving it a chance.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
The writer's need to tone done Mariner wackiness a bit but the rest of the ensign characters legit being really excited for what they are doing vs the "I'm to old for this bull-poo poo" / glory hogging of the higher rank officers worked really well. There is a ton of fun the writers can have showing just how bad it is in the Lower Decks since every other series has focused on the high ranked officers.

Making the Doctor a old stray cat looking Caitian is a great visual joke for her personality.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

BexGu posted:

The writer's need to tone done Mariner wackiness a bit but the rest of the ensign characters legit being really excited for what they are doing vs the "I'm to old for this bull-poo poo" / glory hogging of the higher rank officers worked really well. There is a ton of fun the writers can have showing just how bad it is in the Lower Decks since every other series has focused on the high ranked officers.

Making the Doctor a old stray cat looking Caitian is a great visual joke for her personality.

I didn't really mind Mariner's whackiness, if only because it's always nice to see a female character be the crazy fun one instead of the standard voice of reason straight man. Also, I thought it was interesting how instead of being in the lower decks because she's a slacker like I initially thought, she's there by choice because she honestly thinks that the lower decks are great and she can do the most amount of good there.

I agree that it was great seeing all the ensigns be so happy and excited about their jobs. As much as I love dark humor and cynicism, it's really nice to watch a show where people love their lives and how they're living them.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I actually really liked Star Trek The Lower Decks.

It's funny, the animation is very fluid, and the main character Mariner is a lot of fun. I recommend giving it a chance.

I tried it. I didn't like it. It's very reliant on slapstick, wacky behavoir, and Star Trek references. I don't think I'll watch episode 2. I'd rather rewatch Star Trek Nipple Clamps on a Waterbear adventures again.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm just going by screenshots but my mind keeps going "uhhh is this just Final Space with a logo or"

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It's funny how many shows seem to be cargo culting Rick & Morty's animation style (without all the difficult, fluid bits) after Rick & Morty became a massive hit.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

It's not like Rick and Morty had a very unique animation style and this stuff doesn't copy the few unique things it does like the eyes.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Android Blues posted:

It's funny how many shows seem to be cargo culting Rick & Morty's animation style (without all the difficult, fluid bits) after Rick & Morty became a massive hit.

I think you’ll find they’re all copying the Regular Show style. :smugbert:

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Yeah it's more like all adult oriented animation has a style that is ugly as gently caress and animation that's basically the cheapest you can get because some animation executive somewhere managed to convince everyone that nobody anywhere actually wants anything else.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Remember Bushworld Adventures? This is the same dude following up on another short.

https://twitter.com/MichaelRCusack/status/1286161029215301637

Micheal CuteSack is a bloody legend. I'm super excited he got noticed and picked up by [ADULT SWIM]. I was excited for more Smiling Friends too, but we'll see if they actually pick that up.

They released a promo-episode-comercial today actually that has some jabs directed at the fact that this is just some internet video from 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xgvq867DPU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

The Horny Spider Show got picked up as a full series

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1291793718643761152

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I hope they get some decent writers for this. I liked the animation on the pilot but the script needed some punching up. Peppering every sentence with the word gently caress isn't a substitute for jokes.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

That show just had a whole vibe of “this is someone’s fetish” when I started watching some of it. I couldn’t watch the whole pilot.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
My main problem with it was that it didn't really have anything to say on the topic. The protagonist was a fool bashing her head into the cynicism of the world without really having anything to offer people looking for help becoming better people (if such people actually existed).

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

JazzFlight posted:

That show just had a whole vibe of “this is someone’s fetish” when I started watching some of it. I couldn’t watch the whole pilot.
I just wish I had more experience with 4chan /co/ to measure exactly how hard they went in on Hazbin vs the typical jack darling of the season

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Daikloktos posted:

I just wish I had more experience with 4chan /co/ to measure exactly how hard they went in on Hazbin vs the typical jack darling of the season

I haven't gotten around to seeing it yet so I didn't directly go into any threads but from what I could gather it was very polarizing with a ton of people there who loved it and a ton who hated it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

I haven't gotten around to seeing it yet so I didn't directly go into any threads but from what I could gather it was very polarizing with a ton of people there who loved it and a ton who hated it

Yeah that was my impression too

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I thought it was reasonably entertaining to watch - i'm a sucker for musical numbers, and I liked the looney toons bits that turned off a lot of people - but the central conceit kinda hurts everything. Like these are terrible people, and they are shown being terrible, but you are supposed to root for them anyway because they are cool and they win fights... mixed messages at best. When people *arn't* terrible you are left questioning why they are in Hell, like with Girlfriend Character, who's never shown being anything but supportive of the protaganist.

That's without even questioning why Hell is just kind of yuppie life with superpowers. Or questioning why people can die again - do they just Real Die this time or what?

The Good Place it ain't.

There's also some weird stuff. You don't need a minutes-long lore dump to justify the name "Radio Demon" when the character design is literally a guy holding a microphone that also sounds like he's always talking through a radio. All they accomplished was writing fanfic-grade inconsistencies into the character in their own pilot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I really appreciate YOLO being presented as a documentary on Aussie life. And as far as the Hotel thing, it’s ok. I thought the Boss side story thing was pretty good.