Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
There's definitely no deal for a fifth coronavirus bill - Democrats wanted $3.4T and came down, the White House wanted $1T and won't move, and that's that. Donnie's people are convinced he can executive order unemployment benefits and an eviction moratorium extension, so this should be a fun clusterfuck.

Democrats actually held out for once! Republicans are absolutely adamant at not helping Donnie get reelected, basically, and Trump is adamant about not funding states/localities/elections. RIP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Why are we talking about Kanye West regarding the 2020 election?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Because Kanye is scrambling to get on the ballot in key states to try to throw the election to Trump.

https://twitter.com/patrickdmarley/status/1291029714950389760

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

bengy81 posted:

That's kind of the cool thing about bikes, if you aren"t into super expensive race bikes or Harley's, you can have a fleet of bikes for the price of a used Honda Accord.
Well you could, seems like everyone bought a bike since the pandemic started, so the market is dry and prices are high.

There's also 3 kids that seem to have gotten ATVs from somewhere that go up an down my street a lot, and just today I saw 2 of them on a moped for the first time. Dunno if it's the same family or not.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

American politics is irretrievably broken and I fully expect the literal cartoon Mickey Mouse to run in 4 years with campaign ads on Disney+ and in whatever 6 Star Wars movies are released between now and then.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Lol, Ye is only gonna end up stealing votes from Trump. The only people who are gonna vote for him are old dudes that think his name is KAYNE, and think that "He has some pretty good ideas about religion and politics."
The rest of the world sees him as either A. Kim Kardashian's nutjob husband or
B. That nutjob that used to be the greatest rapper in like 2008.
C. That nutjob that beefed with TayTay.

I hope I'm not wrong, but boy that sure is a hell of a hail mary plan B for the GOP.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Totally writing in Sasquatch/Mothman this year (Biden will carry CO) in hopes of them actually being on the ticket in 2024.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Since SC singlehandedly chooses the nominee we need to start building momentum behind the Lee County Lizard Man right now.

Bonus: Is a Lizard Man, has instant credibility with establishment insiders

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kanye isn't stealing votes from anybody except the penises that get drawn in the write-in field

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Fallom posted:

Kanye isn't stealing votes from anybody except the penises that get drawn in the write-in field

***Wakes up in the morning on January 20, 2021 to watch President West's inauguration***

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
sturgis is going to kill more people than a trump rally

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

ded posted:

sturgis is going to kill more people than a trump rally

I dunno - Tulsa smoked Pizza Boss Cain.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

facialimpediment posted:

There's definitely no deal for a fifth coronavirus bill - Democrats wanted $3.4T and came down, the White House wanted $1T and won't move, and that's that. Donnie's people are convinced he can executive order unemployment benefits and an eviction moratorium extension, so this should be a fun clusterfuck.

Democrats actually held out for once! Republicans are absolutely adamant at not helping Donnie get reelected, basically, and Trump is adamant about not funding states/localities/elections. RIP.

Trying to keep UI going with remaining FY20 funds is like making a down payment on your house with whatever you shake out of your couch, regardless of legality. Even with Covid-driven underruns there's only so much blood you can squeeze out of that stone.

Cross-posting from Doomsday Econ:

Terrifying Effigies posted:

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1291847850733830146

Sounds like a great plan...

https://twitter.com/philklotzbach/status/1291026172546080771

Oh :ohno:

Just lol if you think Trumpbux are actually going to show up in your mailbox though.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Trying to keep UI going with remaining FY20 funds is like making a down payment on your house with whatever you shake out of your couch, regardless of legality. Even with Covid-driven underruns there's only so much blood you can squeeze out of that stone.

Cross-posting from Doomsday Econ:

It's all a ploy to jam up the mail with another 300 million envelopes with Trump bucks letters to slow down absentee ballots.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Totally writing in Sasquatch/Mothman this year (Biden will carry CO) in hopes of them actually being on the ticket in 2024.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Yeahhhhhhh I have every confidence in my own ability to safely operate a motorcycle, but zero confidence in the drivers around me to not kill me.

This is a common attitude, but in reality most motorcycle fatalities are single vehicle accidents. A combination of going too fast into corners and target fixation are what we should be most concerned about.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
current event cross-post:

Vasukhani posted:

thank god my tax dollars are finally going to good use

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

bengy81 posted:

Lol, Ye is only gonna end up stealing votes from Trump. The only people who are gonna vote for him are old dudes that think his name is KAYNE, and think that "He has some pretty good ideas about religion and politics."
The rest of the world sees him as either A. Kim Kardashian's nutjob husband or
B. That nutjob that used to be the greatest rapper in like 2008.
C. That nutjob that beefed with TayTay.

I hope I'm not wrong, but boy that sure is a hell of a hail mary plan B for the GOP.

Here's general analysis on the "Kanye Vote":

https://twitter.com/tbonier/status/1291839237747347456

quote:

There is polling data on West from May 2018, when he famously met with President Donald Trump in the Oval Office wearing a red Make America Great Again hat. Then, only 23 percent of Americans had a favorable opinion of him, and 53 percent had an unfavorable opinion. However, among Republicans, West broke even: 35 percent had a favorable opinion of him and 35 percent did not. By contrast, he was deeply unpopular with Democrats, 12 percent of whom had favorable opinion and 67 who did not. And it is unlikely that the events of recent days have improved his standing with Democrats.

Veepstakes news! I had no idea about this, so Biden's running a tightass ship.

https://twitter.com/DavidEggert00/status/1291898447101153280

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The children of health insurance CEOs are apparently women of color through some transitive property.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

AlexanderCA posted:

This is a common attitude, but in reality most motorcycle fatalities are single vehicle accidents. A combination of going too fast into corners and target fixation are what we should be most concerned about.

Stats are 2013 but it's definitely cars.

When a bike does strike a non car object then it is more likely fatal than a car striking an object.

Page 3
https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/812148

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fallom posted:

Just in case anyone is tempted to do this, the penis may be considered an “identifying mark” and spoil the whole ballot. Don’t do that if you want your vote for the House or anything else to count.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

facialimpediment posted:

Veepstakes news! I had no idea about this, so Biden's running a tightass ship.

https://twitter.com/DavidEggert00/status/1291898447101153280

I will never stop laughing if Whitmer is the veep pick and I get to watch Khive twitter and the rest of twitter melt the gently caress down over it.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

AlexanderCA posted:

I can't speak to motorcycles, but there is a clear trend toward drastically increased deaths as car companies increasingly bloat trucks and SUVs past any practical purpose to serve as penis substitutes for the insecure. America's car culture has very much emerged as part of its culture wars and it's no coincidence that CHUDs gravitate toward deliberately ostentatious vehicles (that some of them go on to murder protesters with).

quote:

When I was growing up in rural Colorado, my family had a classic work truck: a 1980 F-150 with the famous 300 cubic inch inline six-cylinder engine. It was often my task to fetch a load of sand for mixing concrete, or landscaping soil, or lumber for some project... That sort of truck is hard to come by in the consumer market these days. Trucks have gotten bigger, taller, gotten larger blind spots, and become much more powerful, luxurious, and expensive. Almost nobody even makes small pickups anymore, like the 1986 Toyota Hilux that I drove in college. The Toyota Tacoma, which used to be in that segment, is now almost as big as my old F-150.

This behemoth design trend — particularly the very tall, square front end seen in so many SUVs and trucks today — is both pointless and dangerous. Manufacturers have known for years that this style of vehicle is much more dangerous to pedestrians and cyclists, yet they keep making them bigger, taller, and heavier. Trucks and SUVs now make up fully 70 percent of all new cars sold in the U.S. Their bloated design is killing people, especially pedestrians.

When I made this observation on Twitter (in somewhat hyperbolic fashion), conservatives got steamed. Senator Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) accused me of being "afraid" of pickups. For the rest of the day, I got to enjoy good old conservative facts and reasoned debate: sexist and homophobic slurs, lurid fantasies about vehicular homicide, and repeated assertions that I drive a Prius — which appears to be the automotive equivalent of soy in the conservative mind palace. (I do not currently own a car of any kind, for the record.)

According to the Governors Highway Safety Association, there were 6,283 pedestrian fatalities in 2018, an increase of 53 percent compared to 2009 and the highest figure since 1990. That gives the U.S. a figure of 19 pedestrian deaths per 1 million population. By contrast, France and Denmark had rates of 7.0 and 5.2 that year... But the E.U. has cut pedestrian deaths by about 40 percent between 2007 and 2018 (from over 8,000 to about 4,900), while the U.S. has gone the opposite direction. Oslo and Helsinki did not have a single pedestrian death in all of 2019.

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Aug 8, 2020

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Cugel the Clever posted:

I can't speak to motorcycles, but there is a clear trend toward drastically increased deaths as car companies increasingly bloat trucks and SUVs past any practical purpose to serve as penis substitutes for the insecure. America's car culture has very much emerged as part of its culture wars and its no coincidence that CHUDs gravitate toward deliberately ostentatious vehicles (that some of them go on to murder protesters with).

One of these days I'll take video around my neighborhood and post it up. If I were to guess, I would say that 7 out of 10 houses have a big new or newish truck in the driveway, I know of at least three houses that have multiple trucks, most of them are diesel too. The guy across the street from me spent 70k on his Dodge, and probably another 20k in mods. The guy next to him has a Toyota tundra, a 4 door Jeep, and a Harley, probably close to 150k when he purchased them new.
I've been kind of half rear end looking for an older beat up Chevy/GMC 1500, but anything new enough to have fuel injection is gonna cost 3k and have 250,000 miles on it, trucks really seem to be holding their value, makes me wish I would have held on to my old Ford...

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Joe Arpaio is a three-time loser now.

https://apnews.com/7ee55d22b1ad5910bb42b64a78f714bf

quote:

Joe Arpaio on Friday was narrowly defeated in his bid to win back the sheriff’s post in metro Phoenix that he held for 24 years before being voted out in 2016 amid voter frustrations over his taxpayer-funded legal bills, his penchant for self-promotion and a defiant streak that led to his now-pardoned criminal conviction.

Arpaio lost by more than 6,200 votes in the Republican primary for Maricopa County sheriff to his former top aide, Jerry Sheridan.

In the Nov. 3 general election, Sheridan will face Democrat Paul Penzone, who unseated Arpaio four years ago.
While his defiant streak played well with voters for many years, Arpaio faced heavy criticism for taking on policies that he knew were controversial and racking up $147 million in taxpayer-funded legal bills. His agency also botched the investigations of more than 400 sex-crimes complaints made to his office.

His political fortunes started to decline significantly in 2013 when his officers were found by a federal judge to have racially profiled Latinos in Arpaio’s traffic patrols that targeted immigrants.

In his latest campaign, Arpaio got only a fraction of the campaign money he was famous for raising and was criticized for his conviction. Arpaio said many people didn’t know he was running until they saw his name on the ballot.

His platform consisted of his unwavering support for Trump and bringing back practices that the courts have either deemed illegal or his successor has ended, such as immigration crackdowns.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

"Vote for me because I'll break the law" is quite a gutsy campaign strategy.

... Or, maybe it isn't...

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I agree with the tweet here, this is a very good interview with Bill Gates and there's quite a bit of positives in it (though plenty of the government being idiots too).

https://twitter.com/CT_Bergstrom/status/1291972489233408000

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Laranzu posted:

Stats are 2013 but it's definitely cars.

When a bike does strike a non car object then it is more likely fatal than a car striking an object.

Page 3
https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/812148

Huh thanks, color me surprised. I got my perception from this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuDmYhuLqJc&t=128s

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Good breakdown of a very specific bit of misinformation that's started making the rounds. This kind is the worst. e: 1st of a thread detailing what they are doing.

https://twitter.com/CT_Bergstrom/status/1291837801512595457

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Hey remember guyger? I guess we're gonna see if 2020 gets even worse

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/amber-...Id=96463576#app

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

facialimpediment posted:

I agree with the tweet here, this is a very good interview with Bill Gates and there's quite a bit of positives in it (though plenty of the government being idiots too).

https://twitter.com/CT_Bergstrom/status/1291972489233408000

How about he spends even half his money trying to help

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Hot Karl Marx posted:

He did donate 1.5 billion for it already. Of all the tech billionaires, at least Gates is trying to help fund good causes around the world (that will still need funding after COVID*). If you lump in his foundation, the dude has already given away something like 50 billion. I knew a friend that was working in Africa on improving rural public health due to his foundation.

Assuming successful vaccines.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
He's still worth over 100 billion dollars, hell give away 90 billion and he's still richer than 99% of the world

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Hot Karl Marx posted:

he's still richer than 99% of the world

And this is still understating it by more than 3 orders of magnitude, if my morning napkin math is right. The average wealth of the top 0.01% of Americans sits around $371 million. So even at 10 billion, he'd be at ~27 times wealthier than the average wealth of the top 0.01% American, much less persons worldwide, given how wealthy America is as a nation.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Isn't he richer now than he ever was when he was "working for profit"?

Yup...

Vox posted:

[Bill] Gates was worth $54 billion in 2010, the year the Giving Pledge debuted; he’s worth $97 billion today. [Warren] Buffett’s wealth has also nearly doubled, to $90 billion, despite annual transfers of Berkshire Hathaway stock to the Gates Foundation and the four foundations controlled by his three children

E: I know he's an intelligent man and he's spending on good causes, but the dude is richer than god and anyone else besides Jeff Bezos. He is uniquely positioned to upend industry/society/whatever and try some real big idea poo poo, so forgive me if I'm bitter that he's content to read in a shack while taking a break from micromanaging efforts to create a composting toilet or whatever the pet project is this week. The dude could snag the levers of power in any collection of countries he chose and do any number of really impactful projects, but he's content to prop up current systems.

It's gonna sound petty, but it all just seems like he's designing innovative ways to sop up blood rather than stopping the cause of the hemorrhaging

egyptian rat race fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 8, 2020

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Seems like he’s good at making money then giving it away.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
He’s not actively doing anything to make money. That’s just how much microsoft stock has gained since then.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Billionaires become 2x billionaires just by sitting still. Great system.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

That Works posted:

Billionaires become 2x billionaires just by sitting still. Great system.

If only someone wrote about this, perhaps proposed a new economic system. How well, dead money is gonna choke the system to death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Lol trump working himself out of being a “billionaire”.