Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

LonsomeSon posted:

I’ve never not had an island buyout result in an immediate war declaration, for what that’s worth.

I very much dislike using the share buying system.
You'll generally annoy them enough to go to war with you anyhow, especially if you do more than 1 island.
It takes ages, because they'll often buy the shares back. (Especially if some other spinning plate is wobbling and you forgot about it for a bit.)

I've by and large stopped using it. Just curbstomp those AI back, and chuck them a ceasefire if you still want them around, once you have the islands you like.
Also you should never let expanding AI get a foothold in the arctic, because the only way to take over a cliff/glacier they've settled is through buyouts.
I ended up leaving the 'Anarchist Icecliff' alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I was in a position where buying them out seemed like a decent way to edge them out over building the million ships needed to take out their shore defenses. Or at least it was a decent way to weaken them on the map so I didn't have to defend my shipping lanes as much.

Didn't realize the AI even came to the arctic, feels like there's just barely enough to go around. Then again, I guess there's multiplayer games, so there's gotta be room for more then one.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Is "Abuse of Game Mechanics" a crime because if so I think I might need an attorney. :v:

Four wheat fields, 3 potato fields. Final output: 18.4 wheat, 37 potatoes and 4.6 champagne a minute. Game says it's 25/49/2 but I don't entirely trust its calculator, especially with the value going up and down constantly as all the farms keep overflowing with resources faster than they can offload them.

All farms are boosted by tractors (+200% production, +50% modules -50% workforce) Patent Steel Seed Drill (+40% productivity, -50% workforce for ALL FARMS), and Alexander Hancock (+80% productivity, +35% modules, produces a bonus potato every 8 cycles). Grain is also boosted by Medal-Winning Producer (+40% productivity for wheat, peppers and grapes, produces bonus champagne every 4 cycles).

It's not Mazz level of "coat the entire island with utterly absurd farms", at least not yet. But drat is this insane. Even better: apparently in the Anno universe we invented farm automation in the 1800s: the Seed Drill and the Tractors work together so that all of these have literally zero staff on them.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Alkydere posted:

Is "Abuse of Game Mechanics" a crime because if so I think I might need an attorney. :v:

Four wheat fields, 3 potato fields. Final output: 18.4 wheat, 37 potatoes and 4.6 champagne a minute. Game says it's 25/49/2 but I don't entirely trust its calculator, especially with the value going up and down constantly as all the farms keep overflowing with resources faster than they can offload them.

All farms are boosted by tractors (+200% production, +50% modules -50% workforce) Patent Steel Seed Drill (+40% productivity, -50% workforce for ALL FARMS), and Alexander Hancock (+80% productivity, +35% modules, produces a bonus potato every 8 cycles). Grain is also boosted by Medal-Winning Producer (+40% productivity for wheat, peppers and grapes, produces bonus champagne every 4 cycles).

It's not Mazz level of "coat the entire island with utterly absurd farms", at least not yet. But drat is this insane. Even better: apparently in the Anno universe we invented farm automation in the 1800s: the Seed Drill and the Tractors work together so that all of these have literally zero staff on them.

The trick with painting is to use blueprint mode and paint from the edge in. You can snake out the farms as far as needed so long as you always have a 1 tile connection. At times you might have a 20 tile snake from the last few farms into the available/open area but it doesn’t matter at all when finished because it all animates as one clean, pretty field. It can be a tedious at times and it won’t always be exact; occasionally you’ll redraw the same field 3-4 times to figure out exactly how to piece it together. I always dropped the last farm or swapped crop types if I was way off, I never left farms without max fields as then you have to account for different productivity; thankfully my obsession with this type of space min/maxing has also made me good at eyeballing the space needed :v:

The other trick is to fill in the edges around mountains and cliffs with single trees once you know your tile leftovers. It adds a ton aesthetically and cleans up the weird/jagged lines, especially those few cliff tiles where the fields are just hanging off the edge and the farm fence is apparently built off the cliff face!

Once you get the hang of it though you can take your above min/maxing and apply it to like 12-16 farms in the same trade union, that’s quietly the real reward.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jul 20, 2020

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I'll try to keep that in mind, it's just there's all that space right now because I'm barely into investors and that's literally all the wheat and potatoes to keep everyone in bread, beer and schnapps (and then some on the schnapps). It's room for more growth for me to fiddle with later.

Also I just want to say that all three of those items came from the same island, as well as this monster:

Yes, all of those charcoal kilns and furriers are running at max production while shoved that close to each other thanks to that ONE item. I could likely squeeze them in a little closer if I really tried but I'm satisfied for now. That's basically fur-coal island since it had a whopping 4 coal deposits as well. And I just deleted the town on that island since I now have commuter docks and the cash to support them so I could totally go for zombie island productivity BS on top of that stuff.

So um, to the Journaleros on the tiniest pissant island in the New World that I started as my toe hold because it was the only one that had Plantains AND Sugar...and is now primarily a gold mining island now that my other islands can support each other... Gracias Amigos. Seriously, four purple items off of their quests alone.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jul 20, 2020

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Alkydere posted:

I'll try to keep that in mind, it's just there's all that space right now because I'm barely into investors and that's literally all the wheat and potatoes to keep everyone in bread, beer and schnapps (and then some on the schnapps). It's room for more growth for me to fiddle with later.

Also I just want to say that all three of those items came from the same island, as well as this monster:

Yes, all of those charcoal kilns and furriers are running at max production while shoved that close to each other thanks to that ONE item. I could likely squeeze them in a little closer if I really tried but I'm satisfied for now. That's basically fur-coal island since it had a whopping 4 coal deposits as well. And I just deleted the town on that island since I now have commuter docks and the cash to support them so I could totally go for zombie island productivity BS on top of that stuff.

I really need to get another game going; I never saw like 70% of the items because the docks/merchants were so stingy at release.

One thing about production hellscape islands; be liberal with the police and fire departments. While actual happiness doesn’t apply the production riots still do, the key is that the police suppress the riots quick enough you don’t feel the production lulls. It’s pretty easy to do, just make sure to drop in police departments every once in a while so most farms/factories have like 2-3 in range.

Fire departments are more about how tightly you pack everything together so they scale accordingly; you can get by with the same ratio, maybe a little higher for the fire risk buildings like the steel/weapon chains.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jul 20, 2020

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Mazz posted:

I really need to get another game going; I never saw like 70% of the items because the docks/merchants were so stingy at release.

If you don't mind slipping in a mod:
https://www.nexusmods.com/anno1800/mods/5
2 modules there are pretty nice for that usecase. (The modpack is modular, and you can flip on/off any separate parts.)

3rd party Itemtrade: Makes it so that AI sell items on their smaller trade outposts, in addition to their biggest islands. (The Anarchist has a lot of neat items.)
More items per trader: Boosts the amount of item slots the npc traders have up to 9, meaning they'll show more items at once.

It's pretty easy to not notice that the AI can carry some items for sale as well, since you won't be able to see it until you have a trading relationship with them, much like the pirates.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Keep quests on common and you'll keep getting them from your population, especially when you're spread out over multiple islands as I think each island has it's own countdown timer. I'm also playing with minimal cash from population and not really doing too much trading besides fried plantains to Isabelle for a bit of a challenge (obviously turned off AI players). Mostly semi-mediocre stuff from the tourist docks so far though.

You know how you almost always get an engineer quest to pop up when you unlock them? Got one of the super easy "enigma" quests that gave a purple schoolbell that cut the maintenance cost of all buildings in its range by 30% and I was all "Welp, I know what my steam engine building is being boosted by" because those suckers are expensvie but so worth it, especially with the farm tractor modules now. I also got the Costumier from an Artisan quest so I'm no longer importing cotton for fur coats, using local wool for that (oh boy is that a good grab).

Mazz posted:

Fire departments are more about how tightly you pack everything together so they scale accordingly; you can get by with the same ratio, maybe a little higher for the fire risk buildings like the steel/weapon chains.

You forgot Schnapps Distilleries. I swear those things are just bombs once you give them power. Also you're not kidding about the iron and steel stuff going boom: I had one of my iron mines literally explode within 30 seconds of being placed on this save.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jul 20, 2020

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

anyone had an issue with your game where all the DLCs are enabled but you never get the expedition to unlock the sunken treasure DLC? I've got the passage expedition completed and unlocked in this game but haven't seen the treasure one :shrug:

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
So I just started playing recently and, in one of my games when popping a quest early on from my residents, I got a charcutier as reward. Motherfucker pops tallow from regular ol' slaughterhaus. I was like 'welp, this is game-breaking' and proceeded on. Then every time I got that Worker Pop 250 or so resident reward coming, I would savescum until I got him again. Until this game, I wasted 45 minutse and could NOT get him to pop, so I went on with my day, saddened.

5. Minutes. Later. Carl von Malching gives me a quest with the reward of a Veteran Whaler. I just about had a loving fit. FISHERIES popping tallow?! HOW IS THIS LEGAL

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
New Amusement Park DLC ornaments pack releasing on August 11, separate from the Season Pass and priced at $5. Includes:

Ferris Wheel
    Rollercoaster
    Ticket Booth
    Ice Cream Stand
    Cotton Candy Stand
    Tin Can Alley
    Shooting Game
    Food Stand
    Beverages Stand
    Strongman Game
    Face in Hole
    Barrel Organ Player
    Balloon Seller
    Portrait Painter
    “Welcome” Gate (with a second variation of it)
    Bar Table

https://anno-union.com/en/devblog-amusements-pack-cosmetic-dlc/

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Folks how do I get more oil to my oil plant in the city? Do I need to bring more oil to the shipping place? Most of the time that oil plant says 'missing goods'. I have tracks to it of course, and occasionally a train will stop, but clearly I need more. I'd like to finally get to investors after a year plus of owning this game :).

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Mayveena posted:

Folks how do I get more oil to my oil plant in the city? Do I need to bring more oil to the shipping place? Most of the time that oil plant says 'missing goods'. I have tracks to it of course, and occasionally a train will stop, but clearly I need more. I'd like to finally get to investors after a year plus of owning this game :).

You run tracks from the main depot on the coast to the station. It will take a decent amount of oil, I think 3 derricks per power plant is the baseline. For longer runs you need either parallel tracks or a circular track, as two trains cannot occupy the same track for obvious reasons and you will have delayed deliveries. They will not clip through each other.

That being said, the game is smart enough to immediately dispatch a train as soon as the track is clear enough to arrive, so you can have side tracks for a stretch of track and the game will send the new train accordingly for when the old train is on the side track, which is a neat trick and will lower the overall track for long distances. At least that was how it was working for me, it might've just been luck.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 8, 2020

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Mazz posted:

You run tracks from the main depot on the coast to the station. It will take a decent amount of oil, I think 3 derricks per power plant is the baseline. For longer runs you need either parallel tracks or a circular track, as two trains cannot occupy the same track for obvious reasons and you will have delayed deliveries. They will not clip through each other.

That being said, the game is smart enough to immediately dispatch a train as soon as the track is clear enough to arrive, so you can have side tracks for a stretch of track and the game will send the new train accordingly for when the old train is on the side track, which is a neat trick and will lower the overall track for long distances. At least that was how it was working for me, it might've just been luck.

I have tracks to the oil plant in the city but the trains rarely come. I don't have side tracks though. Thought of you, Mazz, the Anno guys went on about how the game isn't ONLY for min-maxers :) on anno-union.com. Guess they get a lot of criticism for releasing the beautify stuff.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Mayveena posted:

I have tracks to the oil plant in the city but the trains rarely come. I don't have side tracks though. Thought of you, Mazz, the Anno guys went on about how the game isn't ONLY for min-maxers :) on anno-union.com. Guess they get a lot of criticism for releasing the beautify stuff.

If you are running a single track back and forth from the power plant, try added a section of parallel track for as long as is feasible on the route; note it doesn't need to be the entire route. The trains will run opposite of each other and improve the supply rate. Or set it up as a circular route around the edge of your populated area. The big takeaway is that trains in the game do not clip through each other so if you have multiple plants on the same routing you need to have paths for the trains in both directions at the same time. A simple bypass track for a length of the track should be enough as the game will determine when the route is clear AFAIK.

Also I don't think it's too much about min/maxing and more they realize a big portion of the long term players put as much effort into prettying things up as anything else. Theres only so much min/maxing to do before you peak out and need to wait for more content.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

any tips for a crown falls general placement outline? It has so much space that I actually can't figure out a decent enough starting disposition besides using the oil harbor as the main industrial zone, haha

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

dead gay comedy forums posted:

any tips for a crown falls general placement outline? It has so much space that I actually can't figure out a decent enough starting disposition besides using the oil harbor as the main industrial zone, haha

I think most people use it as a mega-city of investors and decorations, with all industry outsourced to the other islands.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I started the Arctic and now came back to it and I don't know how to do this quest anymore. Any help appreciated.

Sir John's journal regarding the Inuit

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
Have you explored the area and found the Inuit camp? Any other directions on the mission screen?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Nanpa posted:

Have you explored the area and found the Inuit camp? Any other directions on the mission screen?

Yeah I finally found the journal. I thought I’d explored the area but the quest is still there so I guess I need to keep trying.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
speaking of the arctic, is it really worth it to move to airships? I understand that to get natural gas in the arctic I'll need them, but from a practical standpoint it's a fairly large settlement ( 750 technicians ) in order to complete the final phase of construction and I'm not sure if the payoff is worth it.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

Twlight posted:

speaking of the arctic, is it really worth it to move to airships? I understand that to get natural gas in the arctic I'll need them, but from a practical standpoint it's a fairly large settlement ( 750 technicians ) in order to complete the final phase of construction and I'm not sure if the payoff is worth it.

Its just something new to do bruv.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Twlight posted:

The level of resource and time investment required to completely replace your entire logistics fleet with airships is loving mind-boggling, so of course the answer is yes, you should do that

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
https://anno-union.com/en/devblog-game-update-9/

Lots of amazing new updates for trade and Lands of Lions releasing in October. Get in!

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

LonsomeSon posted:

The level of resource and time investment required to completely replace your entire logistics fleet with airships is loving mind-boggling, so of course the answer is yes, you should do that

you're not lying, trying to get gas from some of the glaciers sucks. too bad there isn't a way to move technicians over to these glaciers, rather than having a full on camp there.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Asciana posted:

https://anno-union.com/en/devblog-game-update-9/

Lots of amazing new updates for trade and Lands of Lions releasing in October. Get in!

Oh good, they're doing something about newspapers!

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
The newspaper is the most uninteresting mechanic that could have been good.

Maybe I'm missing something but I just slap +money, -consumption, and + happiness on every time.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Money, money, happiness. The first two, for money, and the last ‘cuz your pixels need the extra kick in the rear end to compensate for the propaganda malus

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

It does actively upset your Engineers and Investors. Every active propaganda article gives them -5 happiness. Of course if you use the +15 happiness article, it balances out and everyone else goes "WHEEE!" while you still get the +Cash or whatever bonuses you get.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Alkydere posted:

It does actively upset your Engineers and Investors. Every active propaganda article gives them -5 happiness. Of course if you use the +15 happiness article, it balances out and everyone else goes "WHEEE!" while you still get the +Cash or whatever bonuses you get.

Oh lol. I thought the propaganda penalty was an effect of prolonged use.

Though some NPCs don't like it, though in my experience it's usually been the ones who are chill enough that it won't really have much of an effect anyways.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

It seemed like there are at least two stages to the propaganda debuff, as I recall, and it definitely took more than one paper cycle to fully fall off.

The pro strat is just to ignore it; for 25% extra cash-in-hand you can afford to fund a few more police stations and firehouses.

Back when I used to play with expanding NPCs, weaning the company off of propaganda funds was the last thing before a declaration, when the last few ships are fitting out. About to acquire 400 influence worth of territory in order to completely annihilate someone, not going to have the clout for awhile ~

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
I'm on my first playthrough, slowly increasing my engineers numbers, and looking at their demands, i'm going to have to replan my entire city if I want to provide them with electricity aren't I?

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

kanonvandekempen posted:

I'm on my first playthrough, slowly increasing my engineers numbers, and looking at their demands, i'm going to have to replan my entire city if I want to provide them with electricity aren't I?

Yes

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
No. Just find an empty section of land and then pay to move the residences. Can "plan" fresh. I'd also throw in a town hall, because higher tier specialists provide crazy good benefits.

Remember, higher tier residences don't need pubs or market squares.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Teaser for Land of Lions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MzzYEXl4hQ

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Haven’t kept up in the myriad of DLCs they are releasing for 1800. Is this latest one basically a scramble for Africa scenario?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

More or less as far as I know. I have no idea how they will do separate "islands" but this should be the last major DLC. At least that they have planned, but I really don't expect much more than some cosmetic stuff after this.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
The landmass in the trailer looks fairly large.

Hopefully the Africa continent is a large landmass and you capture regions of it, would be pretty dumb if Africa was a bunch of islands.

Then again its not called Africa so that is their alibi in making another biome full of islands.

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin
First devblog with more info on Land of Lions is up:

https://anno-union.com/devblog-land-of-lions-overview/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
TLDR is:
- Release date October 22
- Larger than The Passage
- Actual region is called Enbesa
- Two new population tiers, Shepherd and Elder
- Gameplay revolves around making the desert bloom like the Orient in 1404. But with canals and irrigation works rather than the noria.
- New population tier in the Old World: scholars
- Requires a new Research Institute monument, which will require a bunch of mats from Enbesa to build
- Research Institute will allow you to conduct research projects targeting specific technologies and items. Rather than just endlessly rolling at Madame Kahina's
- You can also make "major discoveries" to do significant things, their example was moving a claypit across your island