Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Hellioning posted:

I hope healing enchanters won't be overly hit by the healing reductions. The real problem is how easy it is for people to take runes and items that give them healing, not champions with native healing (barring a few).
On the flip side, I hope they crater healing enchanters and I never have to see Yuumi in another game until the end of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Mikujin posted:

On the flip side, I hope they crater healing enchanters and I never have to see Yuumi in another game until the end of time.

If they just delete Yuumi it wouldn't be enough. I want her erased from this time line.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Hellioning posted:

I hope healing enchanters won't be overly hit by the healing reductions. The real problem is how easy it is for people to take runes and items that give them healing, not champions with native healing (barring a few).

Ehh, your primary healers can put out bullshit levels of healing right now (Soraka/Yuumi). 'Raka gets countered pretty hard by burst assassins, though, so she's not as obnoxious. You can't just target Yuumi first, you have no choice but to try to eat through her heals. Then you stack her on someone remotely tanky with native/passive healing like Mundo or Taric and it makes the games obnoxious even when you are winning.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Who was the ad wizard who came up with Yuumi.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm about 100 games into playing Nexus Blitz and man do I wish they would keep it around (or rotate other modes) all the time.

I doubt they will but it's been so much fun. Even though it has its own issues (elder buff, targets spawning/patching favoring the other side).

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Mikujin posted:

Same - healing supports completely ruined other games like HotS and Overwatch and crowd out other archetypes when their numbers/items are good in LoL. Give me more Leonas please.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

FYI Yone's price dropped to 6300 at 1:30 PM PST today if you wanted to buy him soonish

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Groovelord Neato posted:

Who was the ad wizard who came up with Yuumi.

she's supposed to be the new player support and in theory taking away the aspect of the game where you have to pay attention to where your champion is in team fights makes a lot of sense, it's just that making an untargetable champion had some uh, other side effects

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I wonder how many new players they even get at this point.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
So I'm brushing up on a few supports now that they're actually fun to play, and luckily Lulu is as stupid and broken as ever. However, I just don't quite get how to pilot Nami. What am I missing with her?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Firebert posted:

Give me more Leonas please.

Yeah tanky initiators are the best supports.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

inthesto posted:

So I'm brushing up on a few supports now that they're actually fun to play, and luckily Lulu is as stupid and broken as ever. However, I just don't quite get how to pilot Nami. What am I missing with her?

Oh hell yeah this is my kinda question.

Nami is a lane bully support with excellent sustain, trading, and one of the highest-upside catch spells on an enchanter.

The main goal of nami is to go for quick trades and rely on her sustain to heal up any damage you or your ADC took. Then, when in a situation where an enemy has restricted movement for whatever reason, Q can catch someone to either chunk them out or kill them.

Remember to use your autos! One of the basic tricks of Nami is walking up to someone, starting your auto attack, then alt+e (or whatever you use for self-cast) to E yourself as the auto is in the air. Then, depending on how they respond, either follow with another auto or W and walk away.

One of the biggest mistakes I see people make in lane is throwing out Q for no reason. I think of a Q in lane as an "open field" Q- they can dodge it in literally any direction, and just have to not walk directly on top of it. Before throwing a Q, ask a few questions:
  • why would my opponent walk here? (Because they're chasing me, because we're chasing them, because they're walking up to get a CS, because they're walking away after throwing a spell, etc)
  • can we follow up if we hit this? You can hit a Q through a whole minion wave, but if your ADC is just CSing from the whole lane away, why bother?
  • is this worth the mana investment? W is your default spell- you pretty much know what you'll get with it when you cast it, whereas Q can be actively detrimental if you miss and your opponent punishes.

I gotta eat but post any specific issues you were having and I'll try to answer

Malah
May 18, 2015

Firebert posted:

Same - healing supports completely ruined other games like HotS and Overwatch and crowd out other archetypes when their numbers/items are good in LoL. Give me more Leonas please.
HOTS, fair. Overwatch's supports were problems when individually overtuned (Brig, Bap) or mechanically busted (Mercy 2.0 instant/double res, Brig again, GOATS via stacked AOE healing and mobility). Tank durability, especially barriers, are why OW is bleeding out - double shield finally broke everyone's brains and the game never recovered.

Incidentally: Riot claims to favor shielding because it's used more proactively or some bullshit, even though they've both historically caused problems with laning interactivity. Soraka and Karma, Vlad and ... Irelia, Aatrox? I haven't played in long enough to remember which solo laners had annoying shields. Camille or Yasuo I guess?

Most problems with support healing were because of resource tuning or compounding effects like Censer, Runes, and unholy double support comps. Players hate Yuumi like Classic Sona: they poo poo out stats to their team without much for enemies to do about it.

Malah
May 18, 2015

How do Morgana and Karma play nowadays? Last details I remember are Karma Q getting dumpstered and that Morgana got a MS buff while ulting from her update.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Nobody with a functioning brain designs heroes at Riot anymore. You'll get a hero that's like 2/3 or 3/4 really cool but then their passive is dumb or one of their spells doesn't match with the rest. Or both as with Bard.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

kingcobweb posted:

Oh hell yeah this is my kinda question.

Nami is a lane bully support with excellent sustain, trading, and one of the highest-upside catch spells on an enchanter.

The main goal of nami is to go for quick trades and rely on her sustain to heal up any damage you or your ADC took. Then, when in a situation where an enemy has restricted movement for whatever reason, Q can catch someone to either chunk them out or kill them.

Remember to use your autos! One of the basic tricks of Nami is walking up to someone, starting your auto attack, then alt+e (or whatever you use for self-cast) to E yourself as the auto is in the air. Then, depending on how they respond, either follow with another auto or W and walk away.

One of the biggest mistakes I see people make in lane is throwing out Q for no reason. I think of a Q in lane as an "open field" Q- they can dodge it in literally any direction, and just have to not walk directly on top of it. Before throwing a Q, ask a few questions:
  • why would my opponent walk here? (Because they're chasing me, because we're chasing them, because they're walking up to get a CS, because they're walking away after throwing a spell, etc)
  • can we follow up if we hit this? You can hit a Q through a whole minion wave, but if your ADC is just CSing from the whole lane away, why bother?
  • is this worth the mana investment? W is your default spell- you pretty much know what you'll get with it when you cast it, whereas Q can be actively detrimental if you miss and your opponent punishes.

I gotta eat but post any specific issues you were having and I'll try to answer

This is the kind of advice I'm looking for. I already got a sense that Q is too slow to be throwing out at random, but the self-E while the projectile is still traveling is the dirty poo poo I like. My general question right now is what situations should I look for (or better yet, engineer) to squeeze the most out of W? That seems to be the skill that, if I can use it in the right situations, really tilts the scales in my favor.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yuumi is a horrible champion that should not have been released, yes.

Other healing enchanters are fine.

Malah
May 18, 2015

Even better are the ones with cool kits that could be cool and interactive, but Riot overtunes them at release. Nerfs either miss the problem to draw out a death by thousand cuts (hi Akali) or they insist on preserving something people hate and gut everything else to excuse it (Panth, iirc)

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
Nunu rework was good. A lot of the OG champs have held up surprisingly well, they may not be strong with overstuffed abilities that each do 3 different things but have varied and interesting abilities. Annie, teemo, anivia, singed came a bit later but was still early on.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Groovelord Neato posted:

Nobody with a functioning brain designs heroes at Riot anymore. You'll get a hero that's like 2/3 or 3/4 really cool but then their passive is dumb or one of their spells doesn't match with the rest. Or both as with Bard.

I don't know, I think Bard's kit works together very well. He's a roaming support, his passive encourages it, his w makes it more ok for his ad, his e is kind of obviously synergistic, and his r let's him impact (not necc positively...) other lanes from far away. His q and r also combo really well together.

Admittedly I think he's prone to overtuning, and I'm super biased, but I think he works really well together.

He also looks like kind of a dumbass, and the extent to which his r is prone to gently caress ups really matches that energy.

If you enumerate all the parts of his passive it does seem overly convoluted, but in practice it feels pretty natural I think. I don't think every champ should have the level of flexibility re builds bard does, but I hope some of them start moving that way.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The healing shrine doesn't fit and there's a better way to do his passive than "poo poo randomly spawn on the map".

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

inthesto posted:

This is the kind of advice I'm looking for. I already got a sense that Q is too slow to be throwing out at random, but the self-E while the projectile is still traveling is the dirty poo poo I like. My general question right now is what situations should I look for (or better yet, engineer) to squeeze the most out of W? That seems to be the skill that, if I can use it in the right situations, really tilts the scales in my favor.

The basic mechanics of how W works is that it alternates friendly/enemy, if there's a valid target within 725 range (same as the cast range of the first one), and that it decreases in power with each bounce unless it's lategame and you're full AP for some reason. How you normally use it is that you cast it on enemy, for the max damage, but don't walk away from them immediately when the animation starts, so it goes back to you. If you're also in range of another enemy, that's just a bonus... but usually, being in 725 range of two enemies as a really squishy enchanter is very risky, so be careful.

What you want to avoid is wasting a hit of it: if you need to heal, try to be within range of an enemy when you self-cast it so you get some free damage (and a Manaflow Band proc, and spellthief gold), and consider going for an extra auto trade before using it if you're at 100% health so you don't waste the heal. Nami, in general, is a champ that's more than happy to take an equal-damage trade, since she'll heal up and your enemy usually won't.

A bit more general info: Nami's basic strength, I'd say, is consistency in lane. Other than Q, her harass isn't based on hitting a skillshot, it's just getting in range and clicking on people, either with autos or with W. Nami is a great champ to drill the message of always getting free harass, whenever you can. What you should always be asking is: can I get an extra auto here? Can I get one when the ADC is last-hitting, can I get an auto+W instead of just auto, can I get a follow-up auto after auto-E... you get the idea.

Her basic restriction is mana, she's very mana-gated. What that means is that you want to get the most value possible out of every one of your spells. This goes with the above; you want to auto-E whenever you can, but you get more efficiency by using all three charges of E.

Waterfall Watcher
Dec 17, 2018

How to ruin improve game sessions & family ties with one simple question.

-Would this be better if I used poison?
Man you really know your nami stuff.
I'm an urgot main and if i was asked the same question about him I would just say, put everything in the E and land it do the E flash trick if you have to and you'll dominate the lane. Otherwise make Wario noises.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCg99EPJhdU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Urgot's gotta be their best remake. I enjoyed Morde's despite him not being strong. The other ones they did of my other favorite heroes ruined them.

Waterfall Watcher
Dec 17, 2018

How to ruin improve game sessions & family ties with one simple question.

-Would this be better if I used poison?
Completely agree. A lot of the time they should've made a separate champ instead of murdering a good number of them and replacing them with a completely different character.
Though my opinion on this matter is already on record for being stupid...gently caress i want old galio and poppy back pleaaase riot.. :qq:

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Groovelord Neato posted:

I enjoyed Morde's despite him not being strong.

Hol' up

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

His winrate isn't great but I love playing him.

Waterfall Watcher posted:

Completely agree. A lot of the time they should've made a separate champ instead of murdering a good number of them and replacing them with a completely different character.
Though my opinion on this matter is already on record for being stupid...gently caress i want old galio and poppy back pleaaase riot.. :qq:

(Old, canon) Sion is far and away my favorite League hero so yeah killing him instead of I dunno doing the AD guy they wanted to do and a tanky burst AP guy was stupid. (Yorick was my second favorite who they also killed.)

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 8, 2020

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Groovelord Neato posted:

Urgot's gotta be their best remake. I enjoyed Morde's despite him not being strong. The other ones they did of my other favorite heroes ruined them.

Warwick always deserves to be brought up when we're talking about nailed remakes.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Warwick is amazing. I wish autofilled junglers would pick him instead of Lee Sin. :(

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Sion rework is perfect and anyone who actually liked old Sion just has bad options that are best ignored anyway.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

When did you start at Riot.

Reality Protester posted:

old AP Sion was great when they didnt know what they were doing and gave everyone 1.0 ap ratios

Wish the pros hadn't found out about him because Riot seemed totally unaware until then.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 8, 2020

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
old AP Sion was great when they didnt know what they were doing and gave everyone 1.0 ap ratios

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Initial rework Sion where you just killed people by maxing E and kicking minions at them was so great :allears:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
AP Sion was good because the Kaboom of that loving shield.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Anidav posted:

AP Sion was good because the Kaboom of that loving shield.

:discourse:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

AP Shaco was good too because you can set up 19 million boxes in bot lane bush and kill the whole lane immediately.

Malah
May 18, 2015

Eve 2.1 was best Eve: she couldn't use her ult to snipe things for free and she still had a ton of item paths before DFG destroyed her like everything it touched.

I miss whichever version of Sejuani could stack magic pen and then build so fat that her HP to W flat damage ratio killed by attrition. But, that was too close to Amumu or too weak early so they've kept twisting her and other magic tanks into knots with extra CC or %HP damage.

Then they release things like Irelia 2.0, Aphelios, or Yuumi and I just have to laugh.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Which reworks were good/bad is pretty easy: the group reworks all sucked, the individual VGU (I think that’s the term they use when they completely relaunch a champion) were good. Sejuani and Zac legitimately had nothing wrong with them.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I initially hates Irelia 2.0 but she's grown on me.

I still mourn spinny mace Sejuani though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Pre nerf Karthus with an ult that deletes everyone by 15 minutes.