Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

SlimGoodbody posted:

I am so exasperated with how many prudes read this gonzo metal comic and start pearl clutching any time sexuality or bodies come up at all. Everyone has a body. Normal people gently caress. My wife and I hosed two days ago. It was cool and nice, these hyperventilating dweebs should try it some time!

Who What Now posted:

I agree. Everyone should experience loving your wife.

SlimGoodbody posted:

You all should be so lucky!! She's very choosy!

How Wonderful! posted:

Trying with all my power to probate you for this post, but it keeps effortlessly dodging my moves and when the dust of battle clears it's still standing unbowed and unbroken.

SlimGoodbody posted:

I demand you cease your attempts, I was fairly and rightfully owned

jesus christ this loving thread

e. oh wow what a snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

hell yeah

gently caress yeah

jfc why is this loving comic so good

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
The saddest thing on this page isn't that Solomon Dave didn't get his wish and is still trapped in the prison he built for himself.

The saddest thing on this page is that Allison and the rest of her crew don't recognize White Chain. :smith:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
They'll reconnect pretty quick once the talking starts.

Good thing White Chain didn't start as a robot otherwise this might have happened: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg-5SOydz6Q
(Red Dwarf reference)

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Well, we know his blood vessels aren't invulnerable, seeing as how he's got himself a bruise right there. Too bad it didn't seem to break the skin.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Patrick Spens posted:

It's interesting to me that folks think he's mad he didn't get cut. To me it seems like relief.

I think it's dissapointment but also more relief than Dave would care to admit. He loves the idea of passing on his power to someone worthy but doesn't actually want it to ever happen in his heart of hearts.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

W.T. Fits posted:

The saddest thing on this page isn't that Solomon Dave didn't get his wish and is still trapped in the prison he built for himself.

The saddest thing on this page is that Allison and the rest of her crew don't recognize White Chain. :smith:

Who are you kidding, Allison being an idiot is always hilarious.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Solomon David regrets setting the bar so high, I think.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

W.T. Fits posted:

tbf i missed that she was there the first time

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
The bruise will never stop bleeding under his impenetrable skin. It will simply grow, a constant reminder to him and all who see it.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
A diamond with a flaw in it?

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

White Chain has done something unique to the wheel. There are no words of wisdom from the old masters in the under text that applies. No lesson from Meti. No Psalms. Just silence from the wheel.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

White Chain winning without beating Solomon is some drat fine storytelling. Rot in your gilded cage like all the other demiurges, you smug idiot.

Edit: I also suspect that Alison is about to do something very on-brand, i.e. something monumentally stupid.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I don’t think it’s that they don’t recognize her, it’s just that they cannot see her behind all the bullshit

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Oh, I'm sure it's this. I still expect the whole thing to go sideways!

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
The rings have fallen. Solar Dude's image of perfection is marred. Drop of blood or no, he is no longer the divine untouchable god-king.
It's just as White Chain said; she didn't have to beat him in order to win.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Who What Now posted:

I think it's dissapointment but also more relief than Dave would care to admit. He loves the idea of passing on his power to someone worthy but doesn't actually want it to ever happen in his heart of hearts.

It's this, because if he wanted to give up his empire he could just loving do it. The tournament has always been an excuse, a contest he can't lose that makes it everyone else's fault but his that he continues to not step down.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wyld Karde posted:

The rings have fallen. Solar Dude's image of perfection is marred. Drop of blood or no, he is no longer the divine untouchable god-king.
It's just as White Chain said; she didn't have to beat him in order to win.

He also has a visible mark on his cheek as well. That's gonna raise some good old-fashioned doubt in the population.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
He's caught himself in a perfectly crafted hell where he technically, by the technicalities of the laws he's obsessed with, didn't lose. But he knows he lost, everyone knows he lost, White Chain just styled super hard on him, and I think he knows he could use this as an excuse to finally step down, but he won't, he isn't, and that's breaking his heart, and the only Royal thing to do right now is to go "Yeah guess I lose, empire over bye" but he isn't. He's going to take any excuse he can to fix the dent in the bars of his cage, lock it, put the key back into his pocket, and then whine about how he's trapped.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Vigilant Gaze did say Ki Rata required total concentration and I think it's now safe to say this expression wasn't that.

White Chain got her opening and it looks like instead of winning, she made him lose.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I think it says a lot about Abbadon's writing that even with how much of a smug, inflexible rear end in a top hat Solomon is I still felt for him when he looks at his hand and finds nothing. I really feel like he was hoping finally he could let go.

Then again, just like Mottom, he was looking for someone to offload a curse onto

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Looks like White Chain has the cracked pattern on her whole body.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

I don’t think it’s that they don’t recognize her, it’s just that they cannot see her behind all the bullshit

Also, since the whole Apotheosis happened in Ki Rata time, no one actually saw it go down. It just looked like White Chain kneeling in a crater on one side of the arena, then some random naked black lady kneeling on the other side.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Yeah all they would have seen was David power up and then a plume of ash parts from White Chain's old body.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Renaissance Robot posted:

It's this, because if he wanted to give up his empire he could just loving do it. The tournament has always been an excuse, a contest he can't lose that makes it everyone else's fault but his that he continues to not step down.

Exactly. People that talk this big a game about how they want to give it all up never actually want to give it all up. At best he likes knowing the option is theoretically on the table, just so long as it isn't taken

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Shoehead posted:

Yeah all they would have seen was David power up and then a plume of ash parts from White Chain's old body.

Plus I don't think it has occurred to them that White Chain could have turned into a flesh and blood person because, to the best of my knowledge, that has literally never happened in the history of ever.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Patrick Spens posted:

It's interesting to me that folks think he's mad he didn't get cut. To me it seems like relief.

He's simultaneously disappointed/frustrated in himself that he let himself get tagged and disappointed/frustrated in White Chain that she didn't win by his rules. It's the worst of all possible worlds for him.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
i think dave is going to try real hard to abdicate to white chain but she's just got her enlightenment and isn't sticking around

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
The first face reads to me like shock and concerned anticipation. The second face combined with the clenched fist reads to me like bitter disappointment. I think SD earnestly believes in the bullshit rules he has built his cage out of and does not grasp how self-defeating they are. I really want to see how he reacts when he sees White Chain.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Shoehead posted:

I think it says a lot about Abbadon's writing that even with how much of a smug, inflexible rear end in a top hat Solomon is I still felt for him when he looks at his hand and finds nothing. I really feel like he was hoping finally he could let go.

Then again, just like Mottom, he was looking for someone to offload a curse onto

He's either conflicted, irrational, or both.

The flaw in his plan is very baked in. He knows that he's a lord of violence and force and that this isn't the greatest thing for a ruler, so he establishes a mechanism to unseat him and manages it, I think in good faith. He is worried that the empire he rules would fall prey to the other demiurges if they're not ruled by a supercombatant, so he makes the mechanism require beating him in combat. Turns out his school of combat is basically unbeatable unless you also master it, and mastering and using it require a single-minded devotion to violence. So he's created a paradoxical system that attempts to end a cycle of violence by finding somebody who is more dedicated and skilled at violence (this is a kind of basic flaw in a lot of meritocracies, just this one involves kung fu magic).

I don't think he is some smuglord redditor going "aha, the only way to beat me at debate is to accept my own point before we start," I think he's just not willing to take certain risks. He may be willing to risk his body in combat, which I think he does authentically believe somebody COULD beat him even if there's no evidence so far, but he's not willing to risk that somebody whose skills and aptitudes lay outside of being a kung fu monster could rule the empire. It is again the meritocracy problem: he might be ok with being replaced at an individual level, but he's not ok with being replaced by somebody who's too different.

While it's possible he's just irrational, that's something you can invoke for just about any character so should be used sparingly. He wants his empire to succeed and thrive, he wants Rayuba to never again be stripped and obliterated. He wants his children, metaphorical and other, to be safe, even when he's not around. He, like many fictional parents, is afraid of taking any risks with his children, and so keeps them and himself caged.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Hey look I know this isn't what happened but this is also 100% what happened

:nws:?? for WC in the nip

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Tulip posted:

He's either conflicted, irrational, or both.

The flaw in his plan is very baked in. He knows that he's a lord of violence and force and that this isn't the greatest thing for a ruler, so he establishes a mechanism to unseat him and manages it, I think in good faith. He is worried that the empire he rules would fall prey to the other demiurges if they're not ruled by a supercombatant, so he makes the mechanism require beating him in combat. Turns out his school of combat is basically unbeatable unless you also master it, and mastering and using it require a single-minded devotion to violence. So he's created a paradoxical system that attempts to end a cycle of violence by finding somebody who is more dedicated and skilled at violence (this is a kind of basic flaw in a lot of meritocracies, just this one involves kung fu magic).

I don't think he is some smuglord redditor going "aha, the only way to beat me at debate is to accept my own point before we start," I think he's just not willing to take certain risks. He may be willing to risk his body in combat, which I think he does authentically believe somebody COULD beat him even if there's no evidence so far, but he's not willing to risk that somebody whose skills and aptitudes lay outside of being a kung fu monster could rule the empire. It is again the meritocracy problem: he might be ok with being replaced at an individual level, but he's not ok with being replaced by somebody who's too different.

While it's possible he's just irrational, that's something you can invoke for just about any character so should be used sparingly. He wants his empire to succeed and thrive, he wants Rayuba to never again be stripped and obliterated. He wants his children, metaphorical and other, to be safe, even when he's not around. He, like many fictional parents, is afraid of taking any risks with his children, and so keeps them and himself caged.

This is a good take.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Also, something just clicked for me a few minutes ago.

When White Chain was telling Dave that she didn't need to win in order to win, is it possible she was referring to earlier in the story when Allison was trying to teach her how to play poker?

Because poker is a game where you can still win even if you have a losing hand, you just need to play it right.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
It's pretty incredible how a lot of the domestic scenes from back in the house serve as set up and support for this huge climax.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Skippy McPants posted:

White Chain winning without beating Solomon is some drat fine storytelling. Rot in your gilded cage like all the other demiurges, you smug idiot.

Edit: I also suspect that Alison is about to do something very on-brand, i.e. something monumentally stupid.

I'm hoping in this moment of utter defeat (even if not technically a loss, lol) SD looks up, sees her flanked by the black and white flames, and realizes what's up

e. and then she just Alisons it the hell up

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 8, 2020

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

"If you don't hand her over RIGHT NOW Ima kill 6 billion demons!"

".....aw poo poo"

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Shoehead posted:

Hey look I know this isn't what happened but this is also 100% what happened

:nws:?? for WC in the nip

You can show a person exploding in gore and the death of a whole planet but you can't show a nipple haha what the hell even is this culture we live in.

I liked White Chain better with an afro tho

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Wittgen posted:

It's pretty incredible how a lot of the domestic scenes from back in the house serve as set up and support for this huge climax.

I'm looking forward to Nyave dramatically cutting through the bullshit again.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
Wonder how many times Gog is showing the slow motion replay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Is it just me or is Solomon facing the guards outside of the ring in the first panels and then in the last panel he's facing the opposite direction?

He could have turned around but it doesn't read great. I'm not sure if he's seen WC or not.