Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I run my betta 10gals open at about ~60-70% volume and nobody’s jumped out (successfully?) yet.

Having tall plants, top cover plants, floating plants/leaves/visually appealing detritus prevents breakouts too. Anything that stops a fish from winding up/picking up momentum and getting vertical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I've been running topless for awhile. I lose a few shrimp that way, but so far the fish haven't realized they have a choice to stay or go yet.

Stoca Zola posted:

This could be part of the problem, plant growth needs macro nutrients, NPK which is nitrogen, phosphate and potassium. Starving the plants of nitrate means they can't compete with the algae. I am not sure how high your nitrates were before but 10 to 20 ppm is needed for plant growth and is safe for most livestock. I think you've swung your balance too far in the opposite direction.

Fart store that looks like a great tank for endlers or betta apart from the lack of lid. You'd want one to stop fish jumping out.

Nitrates were pretty darn pink on the test stripes. I'd say 60ppm most likely. Now they're closer to 20ppm.

Since I washed the plants a couple of days ago I'm not seeing any additional growth. I've got one plant that's growing out of a tank decoration so it can't be moved. That's still algae central. But the rest. The rest is looking better.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Okay I take back what I said, if it's 20ppm now nitrate isn't your issue, or at least it's not the limiting factor for your plants.

I don't think betta are as bad jumping wise as guppy type fish, my wild type guppies were launching themselves 2 inches up the sides of the tank during water change yesterday. They jump in water movement and sometimes they just jump just because they feel like it. I think endlers are very likely to behave the same way.
https://youtu.be/DB5rrvc5oiQ

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Stoca Zola posted:

Okay I take back what I said, if it's 20ppm now nitrate isn't your issue, or at least it's not the limiting factor for your plants.

I don't think betta are as bad jumping wise as guppy type fish, my wild type guppies were launching themselves 2 inches up the sides of the tank during water change yesterday. They jump in water movement and sometimes they just jump just because they feel like it. I think endlers are very likely to behave the same way.
https://youtu.be/DB5rrvc5oiQ

I kept enders in an open top tank for years and never had one jump :shrug:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I've got 3 guppies and 3 enders all in a 10 gallon open top and none have ever tried to escape. But now you're making me nervous.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I had some new fish quarantined in the future shrimp tank but as they were being dicks and digging up the substrate I moved them to the main tank pretty soon. It looked like the last one had its tail nibbed so I left it to recover alone, but it actually got worse over a day. Is this fin rot? I've never had it happen to my fish before :(

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

That absolutely looks like fin rot, and while the membrane can grow back the rays of the fins look damaged too and these don't tend to grow back. It looks like the skin is peeling off too. Even if it wasn't infected to start with, an injury that bad can quickly become infected. Is that some kind of African cichlid? I don't know my cichlids that well but it makes me think of an electric yellow lab or something like that. It's been ages since you posted, are you keeping African rift lake cichlids now? I suspect they would have trouble in soft/too acidic water and it could impede their ability to heal. Not sure even if medicated how well a fish could come back from that damage, that's worse than anything I've ever personally seen.

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 6, 2020

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
With a single nerite in a 10 gallon and a single male betta, how many cherry and ghost shrimp can I add safely?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Insane Totoro posted:

With a single nerite in a 10 gallon and a single male betta, how many cherry and ghost shrimp can I add safely?

Either the online aquarium calculator is broken or shrimp count almost nothing towards tank capacity because I'm up to 50 shrimp in that 10 gallon and I still haven't maxed out.

I have 4 or 5 cherries in my 10 gallon and they're very happy and appear to be breeding.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
I kept a 20 gallon tropical tank as a teen, decades later I'm thinking about jumping back in but want to do it right. Can you share a link to that online calculator?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Pioneer42 posted:

I kept a 20 gallon tropical tank as a teen, decades later I'm thinking about jumping back in but want to do it right. Can you share a link to that online calculator?

I don't know how accurate it is but as long as you're not maxing out in the upper range you should be okay.

http://www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Thank you. That tool looks incredible.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
From my experience shrimp don't especially add any bioload.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yep I wouldn't worry about shrimp, you can have a ton of them without issue

Stoca Zola posted:

That absolutely looks like fin rot, and while the membrane can grow back the rays of the fins look damaged too and these don't tend to grow back. It looks like the skin is peeling off too. Even if it wasn't infected to start with, an injury that bad can quickly become infected. Is that some kind of African cichlid? I don't know my cichlids that well but it makes me think of an electric yellow lab or something like that. It's been ages since you posted, are you keeping African rift lake cichlids now? I suspect they would have trouble in soft/too acidic water and it could impede their ability to heal. Not sure even if medicated how well a fish could come back from that damage, that's worse than anything I've ever personally seen.
Yeah I've slowly transitioned to african cichilds through attrition, my normal tank is yellow labs, Ch44s, etc. It's mostly been pretty stable and on auto-pilot now so I never really posted anymore.

The water should be fine and I did some extra partial changes just in case but yeah it doesn't look like it will get any better... really shocking how quickly it went from a little damage to holy poo poo the tail is gone :(

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Can someone post a pic of their filter media next time they're in there? Can't tell if it's BB or diatom algae or?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

The water should be fine and I did some extra partial changes just in case but yeah it doesn't look like it will get any better... really shocking how quickly it went from a little damage to holy poo poo the tail is gone :(

From the point of view of keeping them as a colony, african cichlids in theory are right up my alley but I just don't want to have to deal with the hassle of aggressive fish. Just one of those things I guess, one of the guys I watch on youtube has a fish room full of cichlids and seems to have a pretty good idea on which size fish can kill which sized other fish and has enough tanks to juggle around accordingly (and still has eyes bitten, fins chomped or outright murder every so often). Not my cup of tea.

VelociBacon I'm going to clean one of my filters tonight, I'll see if I can get some pictures. Off the top of my head a good way to tell bacteria from non bacteria is when you clean your media and the water gets super brown, let it settle in the bucket and the bacteria will clump leaving the water clear with brown lumps in the bottom. Diatoms don't clump.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Stoca Zola posted:

From the point of view of keeping them as a colony, african cichlids in theory are right up my alley but I just don't want to have to deal with the hassle of aggressive fish. Just one of those things I guess, one of the guys I watch on youtube has a fish room full of cichlids and seems to have a pretty good idea on which size fish can kill which sized other fish and has enough tanks to juggle around accordingly (and still has eyes bitten, fins chomped or outright murder every so often). Not my cup of tea.

VelociBacon I'm going to clean one of my filters tonight, I'll see if I can get some pictures. Off the top of my head a good way to tell bacteria from non bacteria is when you clean your media and the water gets super brown, let it settle in the bucket and the bacteria will clump leaving the water clear with brown lumps in the bottom. Diatoms don't clump.

That's a great tip, thanks.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
So...

Ten gallon tank.

One angry betta.

One nerite.

Six each of cherry and ghost shrimp

Three moss balls

A couple betta bulb plants growing

Good to go?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I wouldn't put shrimp in with a Betta because I don't like creating a death trap. It will kill at least some of them.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Insane Totoro posted:

So...

Ten gallon tank.

One angry betta.

One nerite.

Six each of cherry and ghost shrimp

Three moss balls

A couple betta bulb plants growing

Good to go?

Give the betta some more hides and places to get cover if the plants won’t do. They get stressed in wide open tanks.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

VelociBacon posted:

I wouldn't put shrimp in with a Betta because I don't like creating a death trap. It will kill at least some of them.

Depends on your betta. I had a real rear end in a top hat of a betta, but he never gave my cherries any trouble.

I’m pretty sure he did kill some ghost shrimp, but everything kills ghost shrimp.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

Depends on your betta. I had a real rear end in a top hat of a betta, but he never gave my cherries any trouble.

I’m pretty sure he did kill some ghost shrimp, but everything kills ghost shrimp.

Sure, I just think it's kinda ethically messed up to do. I get it's not like killing humans or whatever but it doesn't seem much different from staging a dog fight.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Sure, I just think it's kinda ethically messed up to do. I get it's not like killing humans or whatever but it doesn't seem much different from staging a dog fight.

Setting up an ecosystem that contains predators is not much different from forcing animals to fight to the death in order to bet on them?

That's not even considering the differences between dogs and shrimp.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I get that you're setting up what might exist in nature but imo the difference is just that we as a culture identify with mammals more than inverts. Anyways I don't mean to derail I just want the op to know the situation he or she is creating.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

I get that you're setting up what might exist in nature but imo the difference is just that we as a culture identify with mammals more than inverts. Anyways I don't mean to derail I just want the op to know the situation he or she is creating.

Is someone setting up a shrimp fighting ring?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I think it's a fair enough consideration. I think it's up to everyone to decide individually what level of "law of nature" they're comfortable with in their tanks.

Giving people a heads up of "this might eat that, so be sure you're cool with that from an ethical/practical/financial" point" seems reasonable. I am curious though, VelociBacon, where you might fall on something like feeding fish live daphnia?

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
It happened again, my shrimp colony collapsed for no reason. Maybe i will be stuck with a plant only tank

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I can't remember where you are but also I can't remember where exactly it's been happening but this week on Australian fishkeeping facebook groups there have been a few total tank crashes through ammonia/nitrite presence in mains water. Easily 5 or 6 people posting of terrible losses and gross water test results. Could be your water supply poisoned your shrimps, if it happened after a water change? The timing is suspect anyway.

Paracetamol
Jun 13, 2005
This space intentionally left blank

Stoca Zola posted:

I can't remember where you are but also I can't remember where exactly it's been happening but this week on Australian fishkeeping facebook groups there have been a few total tank crashes through ammonia/nitrite presence in mains water. Easily 5 or 6 people posting of terrible losses and gross water test results. Could be your water supply poisoned your shrimps, if it happened after a water change? The timing is suspect anyway.

Do you happen to be a part of or know the names of these groups? I’m in Eight Mile Plains 4113 Australia and we get both ammonia/ammonium and nitrite in our tap water. Would be interesting to confirm if anyone else gets it too

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I'm in Aussie Fish Keepers Australia and Aquarium Enthusiasts Australia. The person who lost 49 fish a few days ago was in Brisbane, she posted her tap water results so I checked when I saw the post again earlier today. It's unusual for people to not hide their location info these days so I got lucky. As usual though facebook isn't making it easy for me to find the other posts I'm looking for so that's the only one I know of. It looked like 1ppm ammonia and 0.5ppm nitrite from memory.

edit to fix group name, I knew the abbreviation was AFK but I had fishkeeper as one word

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 8, 2020

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

VelociBacon posted:

I agree when it comes to cherry shrimp. They’re a bit longer lived and about 20x more expensive than ghost shrimp. I still want my ghost shrimp to thrive, but they’re there to eat excess flakes and in some cases be the food.

I never had a problem with my now deceased betta and my cherries, but I have noticed the cherries are more visible now that the betta is gone. I won’t be replacing him.

Axqu
Nov 28, 2016

I'm a hot bitch angel named Panty. And no matter what anyone says,
I DO WHAT I FUCKING WANT!
Aquatic frog tank update: my fiancé was gonna get me a 40 gallon for my birthday but we found an affordable 55 gallon instead. He's gonna build me another tankstand. When we get home I can start on the filtration/background. It requires some design changes but ultimately I think a 55 will look better in the space and the design I came up with is gonna be better than my original idea and more in line with my skill level. So excited. My man is wonderful. :D

Paracetamol
Jun 13, 2005
This space intentionally left blank

Stoca Zola posted:

I'm in Aussie Fish Keepers Australia and Aquarium Enthusiasts Australia. The person who lost 49 fish a few days ago was in Brisbane, she posted her tap water results so I checked when I saw the post again earlier today. It's unusual for people to not hide their location info these days so I got lucky. As usual though facebook isn't making it easy for me to find the other posts I'm looking for so that's the only one I know of. It looked like 1ppm ammonia and 0.5ppm nitrite from memory.

edit to fix group name, I knew the abbreviation was AFK but I had fishkeeper as one word

Thanks mate. I’ve joined AFK and I also found another with 16k members “Fish keepers queensland for all aquarium fish, catfish, cichlids” so I’ll trawl there for posts on Brisbane tap water.

Those values sound about like what I’m getting from the tap.

ColobusMonkey
Jan 23, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

I had some new fish quarantined in the future shrimp tank but as they were being dicks and digging up the substrate I moved them to the main tank pretty soon. It looked like the last one had its tail nibbed so I left it to recover alone, but it actually got worse over a day. Is this fin rot? I've never had it happen to my fish before :(

It doesn’t look like fin rot to me, you mentioned you moved it to the main tank quickly. It looks like a fairly small fish, other cichlids were probably picking on him. I had a dumb albino cichlid who never learned to flee when picked on and his tail ended up looking just like that. I had to put him in a tank on his own and everything grew back but it took a few weeks. Even if he heals these types of fish don’t get smarter with reintegration... it will probably happen again. That’s how I ended up with two tanks... one with the mean dickhole cichlids who can hold their own and the pussy tank.. who would start to get mean when they got big enough. So what I’m really saying is cichlids are lovely fish.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Thought I'd check in. Haven't done much with my tanks other than maintenance/upkeep, which has been nice to be honest. I'm pretty content with my current setups and will probably not change much in the short term. I have my Fantail goldfish and Apple snail in the 29g high and Gold White Cloud minnows, Ghost shrimp and Cherry shrimp in the 10g.

I have been replacing 50% weekly in the 29g and bi-weekly in the 10g, seems to be working fine so far. I have experienced a few Ghost shrimp deaths but given they're sold as goldfish food I figured that was normal.

Here are some videos for anyone interested: https://imgur.com/a/oULcpRe

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
apropos of cichlid chat:

https://youtu.be/Dmp_OpGDvW8

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I'd love a dwarf cichlid or two, but I am pretty sure they'd eat inverts?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Aerofallosov posted:

I'd love a dwarf cichlid or two, but I am pretty sure they'd eat inverts?

German Blue Rams might be okay. They are a little on the delicate side, though.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I lost both mystery snails at essentially the same time. I'm going to assume one died of a broken heart considering how many drat eggs they made together. Scrapping pink goo off the sides of my aquarium won't be missed.

Not sure if the water parameters somehow changed to their detriment. The nerite snails are still chugging along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Corte posted:

Thought I'd check in. Haven't done much with my tanks other than maintenance/upkeep, which has been nice to be honest. I'm pretty content with my current setups and will probably not change much in the short term. I have my Fantail goldfish and Apple snail in the 29g high and Gold White Cloud minnows, Ghost shrimp and Cherry shrimp in the 10g.

I have been replacing 50% weekly in the 29g and bi-weekly in the 10g, seems to be working fine so far. I have experienced a few Ghost shrimp deaths but given they're sold as goldfish food I figured that was normal.

Here are some videos for anyone interested: https://imgur.com/a/oULcpRe

Glad it's all going well, and it was pretty cool seeing how zoomy your goldfish is despite the long tail! Looks like a happy fish.

VelociBacon I did take pictures of my gross filter water but a bucket of brown poo poo water just looks like a bucket of brown poo poo water, the subtleties of the clumping didn't really come through that well. Maybe I should have taken a time lapse video.