Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Wizard Whateley posted:

Thank you so much for mentioning this! I've read the entire Aubrey/Maturin series a couple times and am obsessed with Hornblower and the time period in general. And yet I had ZERO idea there were modern games with Napoleonic era navel battles. (besides Europa and Total War which didn't quite scratch the itch)

Check out Naval Action as well. The ship combat is fantastic, the open world is a bit of a chore but you can play PVE if you don't wanna deal with PVP stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Whateley
Apr 12, 2002

I am a bootlicking scab who loves seeing people be paid less than living wages. If the workers don't like it they should just kill themselves. Let me know who is organizing so I can report them to management. I pine for the days of the Pinkertons.

Popete posted:

Check out Naval Action as well. The ship combat is fantastic, the open world is a bit of a chore but you can play PVE if you don't wanna deal with PVP stuff.

Thanks for the recommendation. Haven't heard of this one either.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Wrong thread

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
A fun defense battle I played a while back in the British campaign in Ultimate Admiral: Age of sail

After a brutal defense I see fresh large french units entering the fray with drums of more in the distance, you can also see the loyalist french fleeing Toulon in the background of that shot.

Battlefield in the final seconds, barely held.

French guns just chewed me up and I didn't have the strength to push em between attacks.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I found this handy-dandy guide to The Operational Art of War 4 on the Steam community page.

I can post more about the actually-useful bits of this, but I wanted to save it first.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

gradenko_2000 posted:

I found this handy-dandy guide to The Operational Art of War 4 on the Steam community page.

I can post more about the actually-useful bits of this, but I wanted to save it first.

I feel like this is the sorta thing that should be printed out at like A1 sized and used as a desk mat.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Dramicus posted:

From what I understand, his previous publisher was forcing him to sell the game at 50 bucks or something exclusively on their own website. Now he's selling for ~10 bucks and apparently doing very well. Who'd-a-thunk?

Yeah, shrapnel games is like, the ur-grog publisher, more than anything except maybe JTS

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Dramicus posted:

This is not about a grognard game, but is related to the whole Battlefront coming to steam situation.

Wait, where is this from specifically?

It's loving amazing.

:allears:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

MrYenko posted:

Wait, where is this from specifically?

It's loving amazing.

It was the recent Steam news update for the game Approaching Infinity.

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/551620/view/2755593078928295795

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

gradenko_2000 posted:

Thank you soooooooo much for this!

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

gradenko_2000 posted:

Wow, that's up there with this one.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Zaodai posted:

It was the recent Steam news update for the game Approaching Infinity.

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/551620/view/2755593078928295795

Absolutely amazing.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

gradenko_2000 posted:

That looks like someone repurposed an NFL offensive coordinator’s playcalling sheet.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is cool and I appreciate it, I picked up TOAW 4 using my anniversary discount just last month.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

Okay, key takeaways from this chart:

* A unit's combat strength/power (as a general description, and not as the technical terms as may be used by the game) is generally determined by the unit's Proficiency, Readiness, and Supply
- Proficiency you cannot actively do anything about
- Readiness will recover by having the unit not do anything, but Readiness is capped at 33%, or whatever the unit's Supply level is, whichever is higher, so keeping a unit in good Supply is critical to also keeping Readiness high
- Supply will recover by having the unit not do anything. The amount of Supply regained in a turn is equal to the Supply level in the hex, plus more if the unit is adjacent to or in the same hex as an HQ unit

* "Quality checks" are used throughout the game for all sorts of things. Quality is the average of [Proficiency x 2] and [Readiness]. Again, Proficiency you cannot do anything about, but you CAN do something about Readiness, mainly pausing your units to rest and recover Supply (which increases your Readiness cap) and also your Readiness in general. Of course, units with high Proficiency can maintain high Quality even if their Readiness is already low, so that distinguishes "elite" units from "regulars", in that high Proficiency units can fight longer and harder before needing to rest.

* A lot of the combat stuff can honestly be skipped in favor of "common sense": if you're attacking, and especially in infantry-heavy combat, have superiority of numbers on your side, prefer to have artillery support, prefer to attack from multiple directions, and mind the terrain.

* The combat system does allot for armored vehicles being difficult to stop if the defender has little-or-no effective anti-tank weaponry, so that's one thing you can pay special attention to, as far as using tanks against poorly-equipped infantry.

* In most cases, the Net Odds value in the Combat Planner should give you an idea of what will and won't work. Try to get 3:1 odds at the minimum.

* The only other thing to closely keep an eye on is the Time Expended counter on the Combat Planner - it factors in extra time consumed if the unit had to move to get to the combat, so don't try to run a combat that will take your entire turn, if you plan on exploiting afterwards.

* If a unit is unsupplied, then it will start experiencing Desertions. Desertions will mean a unit will not receive replacements, and will in fact just start losing elements directly even without combat.

* If an HQ is destroyed, then the Proficiency of all units under that HQ is reduced by half.

* If an attacker tries to move into an enemy hex with a right-click, it can force a Retreat Before Combat check, which is a Quality Check. To avoid this for the purposes of closely planning one's attacks, double-left-click into a hex to bring up the attack planner, and then order the attack via the attack planner
* If a defender loses a combat, it may also retreat at the end of the combat
* If a defender has nowhere else to retreat to, either as a consequence of a Retreat Before Combat or a lost combat, then it will evaporate. This works even if a unit is surrounded by otherwise weak units, such if the three out of the six hexsides of a single-hex surround is made up of artillery and HQ units.

___

So, to pull all of that into a cohesive battle plan:

You need to identify where you're going to try for a break in the enemy's line. This means concentrating your support and best fighting assets in that spot (what we might call a "schwerpunkt").

Once you've broken through the enemy's line, drive mobile units through the break and get into their rear areas to cut them off.

If units are unsupplied, and/or if their HQs are attacked and destroyed as a consequence of your mobile units getting into the enemy's rear, then they will get progressively weaker as a consequence of their Supply and Readiness going down (and in the case of losing their HQ, even their Proficiency will go down directly).

If units are unsupplied, then they'll just lose whole squads and vehicles entirely as a consequence of Desertions, which will make them easier to defeat in straight combat.

If units are unsupplied, then their Readiness will also go down, and will never recover. This also means they'll be weaker in straight combat, but it also means their Quality might go down to the point where you can start forcing RBCs, which saves you some movement and losses from having to actually fight.

If you can consistently win combats, and maybe even consistently cause RBCs, then you start "pushing around" units to cordon them into pockets. Once they're in pockets, then you can start forcing them into smaller and smaller pockets. Once they're down to single-hex pockets, then they will evaporate.

Even if you're playing a WWI scenario where there's not enough mobile to create surrounds just by sheer movement, the same principles still apply: if you attack a unit and win, it'll have consumed supply, and it'll have lost Readiness. Hammer a unit hard and often enough and its supply and Readiness will become so low that it will have to pulled off the line to rest, or it will become combat-ineffective. Do that to enough units and the enemy will not be able to have enough combat-effective units to maintain a line.

Of course, you must also keep an eye on your own Readiness and Supply. If a unit is "in the red", pull them off the line and stack them with or next to an HQ. Use the per-hex supply view to see where you can place units to where they'll have a chance at recovering Supply at a decent rate relative to however much time you have left to work with in the scenario.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
What was that company commander sim in development with the roleplay elements?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

What was that company commander sim in development with the roleplay elements?

Burden of Command?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

gradenko_2000 posted:

[TOAW tutorial]

I’m slowly trying to tackle this game and your TOAW postings have helped me where I would have otherwise given up trying to grasp the concepts (and prob would have stopped playing).

That post took a lot of your time to put together. I appreciate it and all your insights. You rock.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekLumz50lmU

The game has started! We only got eight players so some German player are commanding two armies.

Discord link - https://discord.gg/nMRE2DJ

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

pedro0930 posted:

Burden of Command?

Yes, that’s it! Thanks.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

How come TOAW will say I have 12:1 odds on a combat but then say the probability of success is poor.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Are you attacking armor without any AT weapons?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Not unless military police units have armor.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Stairmaster posted:

Not unless military police units have armor.

They might have APCs and poo poo?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I think I might just be experiencing glitches from playing a scenario from III

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
I assume it's as grog lite as it comes but "A Total War Saga: TROY" is free for 24 hours on epic game store. Brand new total war game.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Armored Commander 2 is 10% off for the week on Steam. It's still early access (and I haven't played it myself), but it seems like it's got decent reviews and I know the first game had been mentioned in the thread at some point.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Zaodai posted:

Armored Commander 2 is 10% off for the week on Steam. It's still early access (and I haven't played it myself), but it seems like it's got decent reviews and I know the first game had been mentioned in the thread at some point.

I’ve had it for a few months now. It’s good and gets updated very regularly. The majority of the content is early war now, but there are a couple 1944 scenarios to play, and they just added the King Tiger, which is a bitch to deal with in a Sherman, let me tell you what.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I just finished playing through TOAW's Brusilov 1916 scenario, winning an overwhelming victory as the Russians:

https://i.imgur.com/8GLdDmq.mp4

The Austro-Hungarians were, as can be expected, much weaker than the Germans, so the main axis of attack was in the relatively open area between Tarnopol and Czernowitz, to the south

Once a breakthrough had been achieved, there was basically nothing between Czernowitz and the Carpathian mountains, and the line could begin this long sweeping arc from Stanislau, moving north-northwest

As the Germans started pulling forces from the middle of the line, their positions at Dubno and Tarnopol were weakened enough that we could start pushing through there as well

Eventually, the line became so overextended that even though the troops around Rovno were well-entrenched in swamps and forests, we could just roll it all up from the south.

This is a shot from turn 11, just one turn before the full pocket surrounding the German armies to the north was completely sealed.

Who says you can't do mobile warfare in WWI?

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Aug 19, 2020

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

That looks awfully fun. God, I would love an operational level wargame modeling the A-H eastern front in 1914. Is there such a thing? The Serbia and East Prussia Tiller games don't count

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Alikchi posted:

That looks awfully fun. God, I would love an operational level wargame modeling the A-H eastern front in 1914. Is there such a thing? The Serbia and East Prussia Tiller games don't count

The only good standalone WW1 grog games I know of are strategic level. Anything operational I've played has been scenarios for TOAW.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Alikchi posted:

Galicia '14 is currently in development.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Hippocrass posted:

Galicia '14 is currently in development.

That's the Tiller for me, then, thank you!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/137434-how-to-get-your-cmsf2-game-on-steam/

Quiet post on their forums

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Less than a week until Battlefront goes instantly bankrupt like all companies that release their games on steam :rip: .

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

The best of course are the Goebbels proudly standing by their dead Fuehrer in the Bunker who must immediately decry Steam and insist that it is of course trash.

I love that people literally take the time to post their smug, "I've never uninstalled this from my x386, why would I install on Steam?," posts.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 21, 2020

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

I just got a PR push from slitherine on that topic, so it won't be that quiet.

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Steve Grammont interview on Wargamer: https://www.wargamer.com/articles/combat-mission-shock-force-2-steam-interview/

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Well thank you Slytherine for finally getting Steve to understand "More people can buy your game if they're aware it exists".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Our company has survived thus far by avoiding risky schemes like "putting the product in front of customers"