Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
There’s just so much more dignity in begging handouts from faceless advertising algorithms, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I expected to like Carrion a lot more than I do. I love how the monster moves but the controls kind of suck and the environments are muddy and forgettable. Just another a Metroidvania with a gimmick, albeit a fun one. It feels like it's a great and big idea stuffed into a small game not up to the task.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ultrachrist posted:

I expected to like Carrion a lot more than I do. I love how the monster moves but the controls kind of suck and the environments are muddy and forgettable. Just another a Metroidvania with a gimmick, albeit a fun one. It feels like it's a great and big idea stuffed into a small game not up to the task.

It's barely even a Metroidvania. There's one track through the game that loops in on itself, and exploration is generally limited only to "well this will be the critical path eventually but you're not allowed to go here yet" and the optional upgrades aren't exactly exciting

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
I think it’s great at being what it is, it just maybe didn’t warrant such a prolonged hype buildup

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I think it's an okay if flawed game and unquestionably very unique, but I've heard people say the same thing so often (and frankly felt the same way) that I would not say it is great at being what it is by any measure. It's just the only game on the market that does it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kokoro Wish posted:

He talked this over on his channel once and came out with the old Scott Kurtz bit about how it was begging for handouts. Everyone called him an idiot telling him about the myriad way is would free him up, pointng to his youtuber friends doing the same thing and how it beneffited them but nope, man was determined to be an algorithm slave.

lmao what a dope.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Kraxxukalf posted:

John Wolfe? I also enjoy his Youtube stuff, so I wanted to check out his Streams, and oh boy are they toxic - and I've only watched a few of his in the past few weeks. He seems to have some real anger issues, as he's been fuming and yelling at his audience far too often.

Yeah, even his really assface treatment of me that time aside, his streams were and probably still are getting really uncomfortable often enough with how badly he'll just fly off the handle sometimes.

Also his shtick against just making a patreon is really stupid too, because another thing he's raged out about before is people just asking if he'd play some neat indie games again some time or some other not-trash and/or not-horror games on the channel, to which he'd bug out like "UH, DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY VIEWS I GET ON THOSE, I ONLY GET BLA BLA BLA, MY CHANNEL WOULD BE -DEAD-, THE ALGORITHM THE ALGORITHM, SO NO, I'LL NEVER PLAY THAT" like okay man, I mean it's not like there isn't a solution right there that literally all your friends have benefited from, drat drama queen, enjoy making another dozen "Four random horror games that are mostly stolen asset trash" videos to appease the youtube robobrain I guess!

Really I just hate how much he soured me on himself, I used to be like the first person that'd recommend him for horror and talk up his content because for a while, he really was the big A+ youtube pick for "People playing horror games that aren't aping the rapenaziswede" but over time he absorbed too much of the ~cynical~ man jaded shtick and let idiots in youtube comments poison his brain or something, occasionally his youtube content will still be fun to check out if it's something he seems like he actually *wants* to play whatsoever, but that's fewer and further between now as well.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Aug 8, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The ironic thing is that I strongly suspect that it's really his own fault. Someone else in this thread said that his attitude just doesn't work with any game that isn't lovely and worthy of the kind of spiteful and mocking commentary he gives them. He's stuck with crappy indie horror being the only thing he can do anymore because it's the only thing that's anyone can tolerate seeing him do. Nobody really likes to see a good and creative game being shat on because the guy streaming it has a lovely and self-centered attitude.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

I feel he may be a little too harshly critical

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I enjoy John Wolfe and hate people on the internet so I fully understand his attitude

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Pretty cool, that game Scrutinized now has always had that that 'no jumpscares' mode that you can tick box on and off any time in options, which turns off the loud bwang spin around scares when you get got, but does still keep the outside threats active and able to get you just without the loud jolts, they just now added 'Detective Mode' as well which is that, but turning off the invaders entirely, if you only wanna do the spooky Papers Please-y side of the game without the window lock and light flickering plate spinner gameplay. The dev's been jumping at the demand for accessibility options with this one right out the gate, which is real nice.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I finally finished Carrion, it took me way longer than it should have because I was working on a bunch of other things.

Anyway, my final thoughts are this: it's a fantastic game, very fun to play. I do wish it had a map though, the levels are designed with a real sense of flow that tends to inately steer you in the right direction, but if you stop playing for a few hours then come back (like I frequently did) it's easy to forget where you were going and get turned around for a bit. That's pretty much my only complaint though.

Earlier in the thread someone asked if you could do a pacifist run, and while I don't think that's completely possible I do think it would be a fun challenge to play the game and kill as few people as possible. Get a pad and paper and make a tally everytime you murder a person, see how low (or maybe how high) you can get that number.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

Pretty cool, that game Scrutinized now has always had that that 'no jumpscares' mode that you can tick box on and off any time in options, which turns off the loud bwang spin around scares when you get got, but does still keep the outside threats active and able to get you just without the loud jolts, they just now added 'Detective Mode' as well which is that, but turning off the invaders entirely, if you only wanna do the spooky Papers Please-y side of the game without the window lock and light flickering plate spinner gameplay. The dev's been jumping at the demand for accessibility options with this one right out the gate, which is real nice.

That sounds really rad; I loved the idea behind Welcome to the Game but I hated that all the tells for the baddies were super imperceptibly quiet, but the hack alert and 'gotcha' sounds were deafeningly loud. I want to play my spooky deep web game without being deafened, please.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I still like John Wolfe, I don’t watch his streams but I still enjoy his YouTube videos even if he is a bit jaded now. Now that just makes the times when he really likes a game more interesting.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I still like John Wolfe, I don’t watch his streams but I still enjoy his YouTube videos even if he is a bit jaded now. Now that just makes the times when he really likes a game more interesting.

I prefer some honest jadedness to the over-the-top enthusiasm most Let's Players have. Its refreshing.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I just want a normal person, which is what John used to feel more like.

Fake enthusiasm is grating because it feels patronizing (Real high energy enthusiasm is good, but that often means it's not an always-on thing), but at the same time jaded angry man shtick just feels depressing to me by now.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Something Game Grumps had to get over is that you don’t always have to be “on.” You don’t need to struggle for a joke every second.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Sometimes, I'm honestly just kind of sick of that all-pervasive, contemptuous cynicism that certain demographies on the internet worship so much. It makes me think of teenagers who never grew up enough to realize that no, dressing like a Hot Topic mannequin being a downer about everything doesn't actually make you smarter or more insightful than everyone else.

Over the years, I've come to develop a serious dislike of people who prop themselves up by putting everyone and everything else around them down, so when I watch a streamer or an LP or something, I like it to be someone who genuinely enjoys what they're doing. It doesn't have to be fake or overbearing enthusiasm, but people who have fun and share that fun by telling me about it? I appreciate seeing that instead of yet another armchair exert spending every moment of their videos looking for flaws and weaknesses to bitch about.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

Sometimes, I'm honestly just kind of sick of that all-pervasive, contemptuous cynicism that certain demographies on the internet worship so much. It makes me think of teenagers who never grew up enough to realize that no, dressing like a Hot Topic mannequin being a downer about everything doesn't actually make you smarter or more insightful than everyone else.

Over the years, I've come to develop a serious dislike of people who prop themselves up by putting everyone and everything else around them down, so when I watch a streamer or an LP or something, I like it to be someone who genuinely enjoys what they're doing. It doesn't have to be fake or overbearing enthusiasm, but people who have fun and share that fun by telling me about it? I appreciate seeing that instead of yet another armchair exert spending every moment of their videos looking for flaws and weaknesses to bitch about.

Exactly all of that, 'cynical' and 'jaded' poo poo has all gotten so extremely tired for me, cool, I love more forced downer negative poo poo in this depressing era, I just want all my entertainment to be as joyless and downtrodden as possible!

And like yes it's kind of funny to say that in a horror thread, but you know what I actually mean.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think a good horror game doesn't automatically have to be depressing, which is why I'm always annoyed as hell at the current "it's not artistic if it's not relentlessly bleak" trend that dominates so much of the genre at this time. Horror tends to default to bad things happening to undeserving people, but there's a very wide sliding scale of feeling between that and TLOU 2's 'do you feel the sadness yet' tour de force of bad decisions and worse endings.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Cardiovorax posted:

I think a good horror game doesn't automatically have to be depressing, which is why I'm always annoyed as hell at the current "it's not artistic if it's not relentlessly bleak" trend that dominates so much of the genre at this time. Horror tends to default to bad things happening to undeserving people, but there's a very wide sliding scale of feeling between that and TLOU 2's 'do you feel the sadness yet' tour de force of bad decisions and worse endings.

True, and I think I've said it before here but I roll my eyes so hard at "the real monster was abuse/loss/mental illness all along!!!". You can have a ghost or a monster or whatever without trying to make some dimwitted artistic statement.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Manager Hoyden posted:

True, and I think I've said it before here but I roll my eyes so hard at "the real monster was abuse/loss/mental illness all along!!!". You can have a ghost or a monster or whatever without trying to make some dimwitted artistic statement.

Agreed, and similarly "the bad guy was YOU ALL ALONG!!!! FEEL BAD!!!!" endings. One exception I can think of is Amnesia: The Dark Descent, since it tips it's hand early and makes the game more about "holy poo poo past you was a massive rear end in a top hat, you gotta fix this"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A lot of Steam trash horror games are made on a budget of like $10 so "you were the bad guy all along" really cuts down on asset use.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Danaru posted:

Agreed, and similarly "the bad guy was YOU ALL ALONG!!!! FEEL BAD!!!!" endings. One exception I can think of is Amnesia: The Dark Descent, since it tips it's hand early and makes the game more about "holy poo poo past you was a massive rear end in a top hat, you gotta fix this"

Amnesia's story was fine, but in the wrong hands the twist would have been "you're trapped in a purgatory state because you drank a lot and yelled at your family"

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Yeah, its lame that psychological horror basically means the protagonist killed somebody or at least horribly abused them.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Manager Hoyden posted:

I listen to a lot of random, narrated horror stories pulled from different sites often enough as just like a fun 'relaxing' thing and man, there's a real cavalcade of "THE BAD THING WAS ABUSIVE DAD" or "AND THAT HORROR WAS DEMENTIA" type writers who still can't get past feeling like they need a "deep" rug pull at the end and can't make a story actually be about a weird creepy thing anymore. Like it's totally fine when it's someone who made a story to get their own creative output for those types of lived experiences, but you can very much tell when that's the case and when it's not with a lot of them, the latter regularly feel like they so badly wanted to put an [Applaud Now] at the end.

Thankfully a lot of the uninspired BAD DAD type stories do seem to be drying up though, both in games and stories finally.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Amnesia manages to get away with it for a wide number of reasons, not the least of which that the protagonist has a legitimate reason to resort to desperate measures. "I am chased by an eldritch shadow monster and I just didn't know what else to do anymore" is hardly sympathetic, but as plot beats go, it's still a league above "the evil shadow was your own feelings of guilt because you beat your wife, you bad bad person, you."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I think Harvester was the first game where that kind of twist ending let me down. I just wanted it to be a hosed up town that was way more unnerving.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The biggest difference between Dark Descent and Machine for Pigs is in the motivation of the protagonist. Taken literally Oswald killed his kids and is directly responsible for hundreds of deaths not counting that he built a machine to euthanize the planet. Daniel was tricked by a dimensional wizard into kidnapping and torturing innocent people to save himself, a selfish act for sure but guess whose redemption I'm rooting for?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

There is also simply far more complexity to the story in general. The fact that there's actually a proper deuteragonist-slash-"real villain" at whole feet you can lay at least part of the blame for how bad things got raises it above being just yet another badly written quasi-fable with nothing but the most bare-bones gameplay to prop it all up.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
And then there's SOMA, where theres no real antagonist even the WAU had good intentions, it's just "resurrect the human race" involves a lot of trial and error, it turns out, it's just a poo poo situation all around and everyone left is doing what they can to survive and stay sane

gently caress SOMA was good

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Kokoro Wish posted:

He talked this over on his channel once and came out with the old Scott Kurtz bit about how it was begging for handouts. Everyone called him an idiot telling him about the myriad ways it would free him up, pointng to his youtuber friends doing the same thing and how it benefitted them but nope, man was determined to be an algorithm slave.
this is such a weird american way of thinking

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Danaru posted:

And then there's SOMA, where theres no real antagonist even the WAU had good intentions, it's just "resurrect the human race" involves a lot of trial and error, it turns out, it's just a poo poo situation all around and everyone left is doing what they can to survive and stay sane

gently caress SOMA was good

Having recently finished A Machine for Pigs it makes so much sense that WAU is the direct opposite of the Machine and the whole game feels like a corrective response to it.

Relin posted:

this is such a weird american way of thinking

The American dream of the middle class is believing that wealth has to be earned instead of the reality of inheriting it, getting immensely lucky, or making friends with lucky heirs.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

John just looks like a dude that's trapped between being terrified of changing anything lest the algorithm fucks him and being absolutely miserable doing what he's doing. His own branding is garbage, all his thumbnails are him making a dumb face and a close up of the monster of each game (hint: they all look like the same lovely unity asset) to the point where you don't know if you've seen the video already or not.

I'm not a Youtube expert, maybe those thumbnails get him clicks but I suspect the viewers he's attracting are not the viewers he actually wants if he ever hopes to get away from $5 unity asset flip horror games.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

its probably diminishing returns by now since everybody uses the same loving template and facial expressions so its impossible to stand out

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I dunno why that works but it's what like 99 percent of gaming YouTube videos use.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Honestly, I'm fairly sure that nobody gives a flying gently caress what those thumbnails actually look like, they're just supposed to give you an instant idea of what game is being played and who is doing the playing. They exist for the convenience of a userbase that will likely watch different people play through the same content multiple times just because they're really there for the personality of the streamer and enjoy seeing different takes on the material. Making more individualized ones wouldn't help because nobody cares to begin with. It doesn't pull people in.

But yes, the fact that all lovely Unity asset flip games look the same probably also doesn't help.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

ravenkult posted:

His own branding is garbage, all his thumbnails are him making a dumb face and a close up of the monster of each game (hint: they all look like the same lovely unity asset) to the point where you don't know if you've seen the video already or not.

I'm not a Youtube expert, maybe those thumbnails get him clicks but I suspect the viewers he's attracting are not the viewers he actually wants if he ever hopes to get away from $5 unity asset flip horror games.

This is absolutely an "algorithm" thing, there's a whole bunch of implicit rules about formatting and packaging youtube content that all the full-timers cling to out of some combination of superstition and servitude to their metrics, and "put your face in every thumbnail with a hook next to it" is really high on that list.

Every once in a while John will rant about some of the behind-the-scenes stuff like that in the middle of random videos and honestly he makes content creation sound like an abysmal job.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
"do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life" is one of the vilest lies ever foisted on the younger generations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Unsurprisingly, being a slave to your own ability to hold the attentions of a fickle, faceless audience can be a bit of a drag. It helps when you're not being a moron about it, though. I've talked to a number of other professional streamers who really like their job.