Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

Given a long enough time, the YouTube AI will invariably direct you to Alt-right conservative YouTube because they are the videos that ultimately drive the highest level of engagement on the site. There’s a pretty good Behind the Bastards about it.

If you watch anything even vaguely video game related then stupid far right poo poo starts popping up.

I have the Google survey thing on my phone and it sometimes asks me if Jorp videos would be a good recommendation for someone like me that recently looked up a walkthrough for a game I was stuck on. so hopefully me telling them to gently caress off with that poo poo influences the algorithm a tiny bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
if you're really aggressive with downvoting every specific bad vid youtube recommends and also flagging the channel "don't recommend this channel" then it eventually gives up

for a while

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
https://mobile.twitter.com/FailShark/status/1292103127064285184

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

ekuNNN posted:

apparently "the Golden One" still exists

:lmao:

goldy is on a real bad dysmorphia trip and i'd feel bad for him if he wasn't such a piece of poo poo.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Quote-Unquote posted:

If you watch anything even vaguely video game related then stupid far right poo poo starts popping up.

I have the Google survey thing on my phone and it sometimes asks me if Jorp videos would be a good recommendation for someone like me that recently looked up a walkthrough for a game I was stuck on. so hopefully me telling them to gently caress off with that poo poo influences the algorithm a tiny bit.

My feed is full of video game stuff and I've never had it recommend any alt right poo poo except once or twice when I forgot to remove something linked here on SA from my history.

Then again, it's also full of left wing poo poo and I'm not from or in the US so that probably makes a difference.

Edit:
Serious though, keep both your watch and search history clean of that poo poo. You can manually remove things, and it really helps.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Taeke posted:

My feed is full of video game stuff and I've never had it recommend any alt right poo poo except once or twice when I forgot to remove something linked here on SA from my history.

Then again, it's also full of left wing poo poo and I'm not from or in the US so that probably makes a difference.

Edit:
Serious though, keep both your watch and search history clean of that poo poo. You can manually remove things, and it really helps.

I haven't got a single political video in my history* because I always go incognito for anything like that

Apart from a video of Tommy Robinson getting hit with a milkshake. Maybe that's enough to make YouTube think that I really like Nazis?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

it doesn't matter if you liked it, it matters that you made the numbers on it go up. every activity other than downvoting it and flagging the channel "don't recommend this" makes its engagement numbers go up, including passively letting it run, but more weight is given to things like expanding the viewer or watching it full screen, and watching the entire thing. commenting is probably scored very high even if your comment is actually "wow this poo poo sucks and you should get cancer and die". Youtube doesn't publish the exact mechanics but you can make some educated guesses as to the really obvious stuff like this.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

Given a long enough time, the YouTube AI will invariably direct you to Alt-right conservative YouTube because they are the videos that ultimately drive the highest level of engagement on the site. There’s a pretty good Behind the Bastards about it.

My mom only uses Youtube for old episodes of Property Brothers, quilt-making tutorials, recipes, and garden-maintenance tips, and had to ask me how to get rid of the Steven Crowder videos that were being suggested.

My dad watched one old British comedy sketch and his top recommendation was a Dave Rubin-Stephen Fry interview, along with the rest of the Rubin catalogue.

The whining about being censored and shadow banned doesn't ever ring true.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I like to play Michael Brooks Show segments and Matt Christman’s stream of consciousness Chapo feeds while I’m doing chores and house work. For this reason, I must also be interested in pim tool and jorp.

But only on the tv app, which doesn’t have a ‘not interested’ option, I never see it on the phone app.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

youtube collects viewer data orders of magnitude more informative than anything nielsen ratings can possibly measure from tv viewers

https://www.howtogeek.com/364720/how-does-the-youtube-algorithm-work/

https://jalopnik.com/how-tv-ratings-work-1795820157

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

For some reason, my iteration of the YouTube algorithm loves to favor Rising with Krystal and Sagaar. I can't watch but 2 or 3 videos of anything without tripping into a series of 10 or more Rising videos in a row.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Even downvoting counts as "engagement" to the algorithm and boosts the video.

Don't ever click on them.

Dr Pepper has issued a correction as of 17:01 on Aug 8, 2020

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/PalmerReport/status/1291898485697060866?s=20

AHAHAHAHA fuuuuuuck oooooooooooofffffff

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
He lost it to his former #2 who ran on reopening Tent City. The voters of AZ are still racist af.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

Even downvoting counts as "engagement" to the algorithm and boosts the video.

Don't ever click on them.

yeah this is very likely true, it's just hard for me to resist :ohdear:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bottom Liner posted:

He lost it to his former #2 who ran on reopening Tent City. The voters of AZ are still racist af.

it’s a primary, you were always going to get a republican out of it

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/davenewworld_2/status/1292096607366909958?s=20

THAT'S IT, WE'RE GOING BACK TO WINNIPEG

https://twitter.com/davenewworld_2/status/1291724177104179202?s=20
https://twitter.com/davenewworld_2/status/1291745799513288704?s=20

K A R E N W A V E

https://twitter.com/VeryStableGeni1/status/1291735440387694595?s=20

Alan Smithee has issued a correction as of 17:31 on Aug 8, 2020

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
I noticed I'd get a lot of far-right video recommendations whenever I watch small videos of various topics. Like a video with 300 views concerning painting tabletop figures or recordings of livestream crafts like woodcutting or cooking.

I dunno if it's just me that gets that because I force myself to not watch any political videos on Youtube to avoid tainting my recommendations. I just don't know why I get recommendations of The Quartering crying about Brie Larson again when I'm watching a girl paint some fantasy art.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I got a quartering recommend the other day. No idea why. They probably target specific nerd interests

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
More likely the other way around. It’s probably unusual to have those specific nerd interests and not be interested in YouTube nazis.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Of course the only person in the video wearing a mask is the captain.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Pretty much only watch crafty, cooking, and game poo poo and I've never had any right wing poo poo in my feed. And I've never used incognito for videos. I must be the drastic minority here

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

what i've noticed a lot in my youtube lately is this ad

good luck to united naturals

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I watched a couple gun vids and kept getting gun recs for a while even when I stopped for weeks. No alt right poo poo adjacent topic poo poo though. The moment I stopped getting gun recs I got the quartering one which is weird (mostly just go back between Run the Jewels vids and Synthwave)

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

DesertIslandHermit posted:

I noticed I'd get a lot of far-right video recommendations whenever I watch small videos of various topics. Like a video with 300 views concerning painting tabletop figures or recordings of livestream crafts like woodcutting or cooking.

I dunno if it's just me that gets that because I force myself to not watch any political videos on Youtube to avoid tainting my recommendations. I just don't know why I get recommendations of The Quartering crying about Brie Larson again when I'm watching a girl paint some fantasy art.

There is a lot of right wing money to steer recommendations to things like Ben Shapiro and loser nazis on the internet tend to watch a lot of videos all the way through which also acts as a center of gravity when they cross reference the other things that they watch like hobbyist videos.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Quote-Unquote posted:

I have not had this same experience. I watch a lot of car stuff, retro game stuff, and breadtube (contrapoints, hbomb, and Shaun mostly) stuff so maybe it just knows I’m not going to be interested?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Doc Hawkins posted:

what i've noticed a lot in my youtube lately is this ad

good luck to united naturals

Let me guess, it's some kind of expensive homeopathic bullshit, when if you just had a decent diet you could be like the rest of the animal kingdom and fired a loaf out in just over 10 seconds.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/04/speed-of-poop-big-or-small-mammals-drop-a-deuce-in-12-secs-study-finds/

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I almost never get any right wing poo poo at all any more unless I browse directly to it, because I always flag every single one that gets recommended "don't recommend this channel"

one occasionally gets by though like this libertarian programmer guy complaining about how his contract employer didn't like it when he talked loudly about his lovely politics all day and went to HR etc etc, it took a good 5+ minutes to realize that's what his real issue was

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cthulu Carl posted:

Let me guess, it's some kind of expensive homeopathic bullshit, when if you just had a decent diet you could be like the rest of the animal kingdom and fired a loaf out in just over 10 seconds.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/04/speed-of-poop-big-or-small-mammals-drop-a-deuce-in-12-secs-study-finds/

no it's actually shoving a flaming cashew in your dumper

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Dmitri-9 posted:

There is a lot of right wing money to steer recommendations to things like Ben Shapiro

it's this. twitter recommended topics for me are a bunch of generic topics like "sports", "music", "covid news" and at the top recommended news topic is always "joe rogan", every single time

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Alan Smithee posted:

I watched a couple gun vids and kept getting gun recs for a while even when I stopped for weeks. No alt right poo poo adjacent topic poo poo though. The moment I stopped getting gun recs I got the quartering one which is weird (mostly just go back between Run the Jewels vids and Synthwave)

i watch a decent amount of boxing and mma content so my youtube feed was doomed

it’s all joe rogan’s fault

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The Democrats haven't had a woman on the ticket in nearly four years. Are they becoming too sexist?

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

brugroffil posted:

The Democrats haven't had a woman on the ticket in nearly four years. Are they becoming too sexist?

So does this mean that besides thinking Michelle Obama is a man, they now believe $hKillary was never a woman either?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

It means Maureen Dowd is a very stupid person.

So is nearly every opinion columnist

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Mr Interweb posted:

i was originally supposed to be on track to go to medical school. i didn't change majors because i was worried my fellow students would score higher than me on the MCAT or get a better GPA. i quit cause i realized medicine wasn't something i was interested in pursuing as a career. it had very little to do with my intellectual aptitude.

please don't defend the skull measuring enthusiast thx

sorry wasnt trying to defend some rear end in a top hat. just wanted to point out that feeling intimidated because you are no longer a big fish in a small pond seems like a fairly normal emotion

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

brugroffil posted:

It means Maureen Dowd is a very stupid person.

So is nearly every opinion columnist

Oh good, cause I could have sworn the argument had been that $hKillary's frequent periods at 70 ish years of age were what made her unfit to be president. That and the fact that she did Benghazi, killing Americans by the single digits an unbelievable amount of American blood on a presumptive president's hands.

e-: I thought that believing she had periods at least meant that cons believed she was a woman.

An insane mind has issued a correction as of 19:18 on Aug 8, 2020

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

It's Palmer Report so it's definitely true in this case, but I always get the sense that libs whose characterization of Arpaio is simply "racist sheriff" don't actually know poo poo about him besides the racial profiling, which is awful but also pretty standard for US law enforcement. I don't think they really know or care about any of the insane fascist poo poo that made him uniquely monstrous(at the time, anyway)

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
The joke is that there hasn't been an election in four years.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Alan Smithee posted:

I got a quartering recommend the other day. No idea why. They probably target specific nerd interests

Thats because hes does like 3000 videos a day on ANYTHING internet or political related.
Minor e-celeb farted? 10 minute video.
Game company do anything? 10 minute video.
Something go viral? 10 minute video.

Seems to be working, he is raking it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freemandela
Apr 18, 2007

Inceltown posted:

The Algorithm has finally suggested I watch Pim, which means I can add him to never suggest this I guess.

i'd like to extend my sympathy

no one should be exposed to tim pool