Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

NikkolasKing posted:

Also I wonder if Viz is doing their bundles anymore? I haven't read or bought a manga from them in years but at one point they did bundle deals where you could get all or most of a series at a discount. Then they just stopped doing it which pissed me off. $7 a volume really adds up given most of the manga I like are 10+ volumes, maybe even 20+.

I don't know if they ever do them for Viz specifically but sometimes RightStuf will have sales on manga by certain publishers and you can get a pretty deep discount compared to buying it from other stores so you might keep an eye out that way.

Just a note since I found this out the hard way: something to be wary of ordering through them is if you order something that's not available at the time (like say, a preorder for something coming out in a month) in the same order as a book that's already out, you won't get your order until everything is released, so always do preorders in separate transactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I know it's a little outside the wheelhouse of this thread, but I've completely fallen into the audiobook versions of Providencetown Tales - they're a series of (soon) 8 books set, predictably enough, in Providencetown, and is basically just a small-town slice-of-life story about women, specifically their lives and loves.

It has some of the best character work I can ever remember reading, and Nicol Zanzarella absolutely makes the characters come alive.

It's also :nws:, but it's the best kind of mature scenes, because they're just so integral to the story of people who genuinely love each other.

Fair warning though, the 8th book doesn't come out until November, which I only discovered after having been completely swallowed up by the series, so I'm gonna be jonesing hard.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

Poor Makio.

What's that?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://mangadex.org/title/52337/i-tried-getting-back-to-my-sadist-girlfriend-who-hurt-her-hand-and-can-t-fight-back

Is this old or new? I didn't recognize the style as mochi au lait

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
A few months old. The artist has been playing a lot with more detailed styles.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
This manga about a couple that's been together for years but just got engaged is pretty meaningless fluff but it's cute: https://mangadex.org/title/45824/first-comes-love-then-comes-marriage

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I'm about halfway through Love Doctor now and if she doesn't tell her friend who she's dating soon I'm going to scream

(I'm also very cross with said friend for being all "no ew lesbians are weird and I don't like them" -- a conversation that was the source of this whole issue! -- earlier in the comic when she very obviously is carrying a gay crush the size of a planet...)

GorfZaplen posted:

Shows having a bad/weird ending is definitely something that happens mainly in anime.

I mean, there's "bad", and there's "weird in a way that seems completely incoherent with the rest of the series so far", like it turning out that the emperor who orchestrated the whole war is actually a 200-year-old Sir Isaac Newton who became an immortal cyborg and conquered the moon using the power of Atlantis, or the entire cast getting teleported from the fantasy world they've occupied so far to WW1-era Europe in our own world for the final battle royale.

Lots of shows end badly, there's nothing noteworthy in that, but I don't think I've seen any western television where the ending was as incongruously :birddrugs: as some of the anime I've seen.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I don't remember Escaflowne well enough to comment, but: endings are Hard, in my experience

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

I mean, there's "bad", and there's "weird in a way that seems completely incoherent with the rest of the series so far", like it turning out that the emperor who orchestrated the whole war is actually a 200-year-old Sir Isaac Newton who became an immortal cyborg and conquered the moon using the power of Atlantis, or the entire cast getting teleported from the fantasy world they've occupied so far to WW1-era Europe in our own world for the final battle royale.

Lots of shows end badly, there's nothing noteworthy in that, but I don't think I've seen any western television where the ending was as incongruously :birddrugs: as some of the anime I've seen.
youre right, anime is good, unlike western television

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Model-chan and Plain Manager

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the isaac newton stuff is the best part of escaflowne's ending though

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

personally i hate it when interesting things happen in anime

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

The Colonel posted:

You speak the truth. I also remember the old Read or Die OVA having cyborg historical figures and the whole plot revolved around stopping the end of the world via Beethoven's death symphony being broadcast from the stratosphere. That was the exact amount of ludicrous that I can't get enough of.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Brought To You By posted:

You speak the truth. I also remember the old Read or Die OVA having cyborg historical figures and the whole plot revolved around stopping the end of the world via Beethoven's death symphony being broadcast from the stratosphere. That was the exact amount of ludicrous that I can't get enough of.

Watch ROD the TV then.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

chumbler posted:

Watch ROD the TV then.

I think I've consumed every form of ROD that got an english translation. I'd say it's a shame that the writer Hideyuki Kurata hasn't made any new light novel series but given his name keeps getting attached to anime productions I like he seems to be doing great in that arena too.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Brought To You By posted:

I absolutely loved ROD OVA, including the ending. :allears: Bear in mind, though, that this is a series that opens with a resurrected 500-year-old samurai destroying the White House with lightning powers because he got it mixed up with the British Library. You know what kind of crazy you're getting into from the word go, and in that context, fighting a half-pipe-organ/half-clone cyborg Beethoven on board a rocket in the stratosphere to keep him from playing a song that will destroy all humans is an escalation that makes complete sense. ROD the TV and Excel Saga felt the same way.

The endings of Escaflowne and Full Metal Alchemist felt more like, say, if the first two episodes of ROD OVA had been mostly Fleming-style adventure-spycraft, just with telekinetic paper powers coming into play now and then, and then the third episode, bam, cyborg clone beethoven death symphony ICBM out of nowhere. It's not bad in and of itself, but it feels completely incongruous in light of everything that came before.

That said, this was back in the Fox Escaflowne dub days so it was a fansub of unknown quality and provenance I was watching; perhaps some stuff got lost in translation, and I should pick up one of the modern releases and give it a re-watch.

This conversation also reminds me that I want to read the ROD manga one of these days.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

The endings of Escaflowne and Full Metal Alchemist felt more like, say, if the first two episodes of ROD OVA had been mostly Fleming-style adventure-spycraft, just with telekinetic paper powers coming into play now and then, and then the third episode, bam, cyborg clone beethoven death symphony ICBM out of nowhere. It's not bad in and of itself, but it feels completely incongruous in light of everything that came before.
It's interesting you bring up FMA's ending because not only do I agree that it feels like it partially rooted in another genre, but the story was building up to something absurd on it's own with the Nation sized transmutation circle but then after we realize that particular event Edward through pluck, alchemy, and the power of friendship punches Father quite literally back to whatever passes for heaven Which I don't have a problem with but it is very "shonen-esque"

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Endorph posted:

youre right, anime is good, unlike western television

how dare you dis mindhunter wahhh they can both be good wahhhh

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Endings are harder than beginnings. Middles are the worst.

Just read something that had a timeskip that segued into a "it was all a dream" and it retroactively made me hate it

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ToxicFrog posted:

*smashes head into mirror*

How's Annie?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Remember the author got really mad the first time this got translated. Apparently they were worried that it would mess up the serialization or something?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Oh my god she finally told her friend, augh, loving finally

Paracelsus posted:

*smashes head into mirror*

How's Annie?

I don't know what this means.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

ToxicFrog posted:

It's from the last episode of tv's F*R*I*E*N*D*S.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ToxicFrog posted:

End of the second season of Twin Peaks.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

loving finally
To be fair, I have this reaction with basically everything involving romance. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Don't gently caress with Finne's mother.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

D. Ebdrup posted:

To be fair, I have this reaction with basically everything involving romance. :v:

I mean, yes, same, but usually I'm screaming "JUST KISS ALREADY"

In this case the kissing happened ages ago and I've been crawling up the walls waiting for the main character to come out to her best friend

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lemon-Lime posted:

Don't gently caress with Finne's mother.

Oh this is a fun one

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
ikoku nikki decided to make me cry today

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Oh gosh! This is such a fantastic series so far.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

god just gently caress me up why don't you

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Honnou Switch continues to be a very cute manga :3:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Sono Bisque has what looks like a new episode and Marin once again being really into important topics.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
Oh boy! New Fukaboku chapter! It's Halloween and there's cute costumes!

...uh:stare:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Holy poo poo :ohdear:

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Wtf

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Not gonna lie, I feel Mogumo on the apple carving thing. I felt like doing that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

yapoo