Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

lowtax got mad at the groverhaus thread and deleted LF

that is pretty much the long and short of it

I also think that lowtax was so out of touch with FYAD that he thought that he would be well received if he shut LF

idiot bitch doing self harm to gain e-cred with an online forum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
TT remains the best long term bit I've ever seen online, people genuinely believed he was a crazy person

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

I can't wait until they make a movie out of this

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

the mods and admins banning any posting of Groverhaus for years even after he was no longer a mod and then one of the first orders of business for GBS 2.0 being to spam that poo poo everywhere will never not be hilarious

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

The announcement where Jeffrey promises not to worry about Lowtax posting because he'll own the forums soon is gone. I've tried looking around the relevant threads and no one seems to have noticed or cared that we haven't gotten a status report in awhile, not even the C-SPAM Lowtax lied about Secret Service visits thread. Incidentally if Lowtax was willing to lie about something dumb and petty just for the sake of forum drama it seems pretty likely we're all being lied to right now about this sale even existing given he actually gets a tangible benefit from it.

I'm just sick of it all, you know? If the mods are gonna jerk us around on this point, or if Lowtax and Jeffrey themselves are just jerking them around and they're too dumb to figure it out, I'd honestly rather be banned.

(USER WAS AUTOBANNED FOR THIS POST)

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

I've been reading these forums for 20 years and never bothered to look into what helldump was all about, what was it

helldump was probably the funniest forum from like 2007 to 2009. it's hard to fathom now but mid-late 00s SA had so many truly deranged freaks and weirdos who had zero inhibition about letting everyone know how weird they were and helldump catalogued it all. a lot of legitimate sickos got run off by helldump and the forums were better for it. but after they ran out of easy targets, they turned on each other and got things got intensely creepy and doxxish, complete with posters looking for pictures of each other's houses and poo poo like that. if the helldump success stories thread is still around and you have archives, give it a look

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

One of my favorite lf threads is the gor thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2993648&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

miniscule12 has issued a correction as of 17:52 on Aug 8, 2020

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

kingcobweb posted:

my LF knowledge was 07-08 and while it had some great stuff (the political cartoon thread was wonderful) imagine if the hype that CSPAM had for bernie, and shouting down of anyone who didn’t like him, was about Barack Obama instead. insanely embarrassing in retrospect

not much imagination necessary as we have the fresh memory of the hillmen in 2016

also i dont remember the lf obama stage, just the google ron paul and later radicalized left ones, but i may have checked out of the forums then

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

tardwrangler posted:

gently caress you for beating wifekin

the best jeblund story is his wife catching him phonefucking tdh and bouncing a coffee cup off his lumpy assymetric head

if you go by what he says in his "tell all" the wife cup story was a lie

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

a Loving Dog posted:

lol there absolutely was not the same attitude towards Barack Obama, what the hell

it wasnt quite as positive as bernie, but it was still overwhemingly positive. paradol ex was one of the few ppl critical of obama and he was widely mocked

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

according to someone involved in these incidents, there were actual real subpoenas so lowtax probably isnt lying about this one lol

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

comedyblissoption posted:

according to someone involved in these incidents, there were actual real subpoenas so lowtax probably isnt lying about this one lol

receipts please

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

secret service letting me out of a 10 hour interrogation where i was grilled on what exactly i meant when i said "rashida tlaib can get it": "uhhh, can i get a receipt"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Lady Militant posted:

it turning out the servers are all running in the basement of a building in Arlington would be the most hilarious outcome yes

This place is pretty much a cemetery

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

The Saucer Hovers posted:

receipts please
irc quote from the man himself for goons gaslighting themselves into thinking the subpoenas arent real:

quote:

<elgruntox> i elgruntox got visited by the secret service over #lf death threats to obama that led to a subpoena against SA and Linode and Twitter
<elgruntox> also say lowtax still sucks rear end
<elgruntox> but this is a dumb hill to die on
<elgruntox> focus on him abusing women plz

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

babypolis posted:

it wasnt quite as positive as bernie, but it was still overwhemingly positive. paradol ex was one of the few ppl critical of obama and he was widely mocked

lf had a far more diverse set of posters than cspam because it wasn’t branded with a specific ideology, rather just the forum for shitposting about politics stuff. early on it was generally just a loose grouping of libertarians, libs, trad muslim leftists, MTW weirdos, etc making jokes and flaming each other. it wasn’t really until 2010 or so that people started to galvanize around specific leftist schools of thought.

also lf got closed because a few dozen posters relentlessly started fights in the gray forums (specifically GBS, GIP, TFR, D&D) and the mods of those forums made a bunch of noise about it. lf posters then targeted those mods in lf itself—most notably by spamming groverhaus everywhere and making general mock threads. lowtax already hated the politics forums for a number of reasons and presumably just opted to close it to shut the angry mods up and go back to pills or whatever. the secret service thing may have contributed but it never seemed like the direct cause

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

irc quote from the man himself for goons gaslighting themselves into thinking the subpoenas arent real:
Actually:

quote:

<elgruntox> comedyblisssoption is just making up quotes, it never happened

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

babypolis posted:

I mean the left in general basically felt that way about Obama, but I maintain there was nowhere near the level of Obama support in LF as there was bernie support here

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

lf was pretty obamarama but very quickly turned negative shortly before his inauguration and got really negative once he started doing poo poo like having citigroup dictate his cabinet, cutting liheap, and pushing obamacare

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

kingcobweb posted:

my LF knowledge was 07-08 and while it had some great stuff (the political cartoon thread was wonderful) imagine if the hype that CSPAM had for bernie, and shouting down of anyone who didn’t like him, was about Barack Obama instead. insanely embarrassing in retrospect

hold on, your file's a bit corrupted, it's missing the RON PAUL header

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
ron paul 08

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
RON PAUL 08

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Victory Position posted:

hold on, your file's a bit corrupted, it's missing the RON PAUL header

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
LF never loving elected a senator

CSPAM's gonna steal all the glory

so, do you want to be part of it or rehash different versions of what you think might have happened from second and third hand sources for the next decade?

https://www.jessfordelaware.com/volunteer

people have their ballots

it's go time :regd08:

let's do this :yaycat:

bebop esq
Apr 17, 2006

hi boys
pr0n haul

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

a Loving Dog posted:

I mean the left in general basically felt that way about Obama, but I maintain there was nowhere near the level of Obama support in LF as there was bernie support here

that is true but i think it says more about the level of support for bernie here than the level of support for obama in lf, if that makes sense

lf was pretty obamarama but very quickly turned negative shortly before his inauguration and got really negative once he started doing poo poo like having citigroup dictate his cabinet, cutting liheap, and pushing obamacare

yeah pretty much this. the obama love didnt last long once he got into office

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

If you didn't get swept up in hoping for meaningful change in 08 you are heartless or lying. Like yeah, we all were immediately disillusioned, and it was an excellent but cruel lesson on electoralism and democratic institutions. However, if you can't actually ever believe good things could happen whats the point? Obviously we all know better now than to believe change is coming from above, but man, those Bush years...

THS
Sep 15, 2017

a Loving Dog posted:

i think this is true from what i remember

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i liked obama but i was also 22 and very dumb

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

babypolis posted:

Campaign Obama absolutely, attitudes soured over time

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

wait when the gently caress did i lose my beuatiful golden tower. what the gently caress is this treachery

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Virtual Russian posted:

If you didn't get swept up in hoping for meaningful change in 08 you are heartless or lying. Like yeah, we all were immediately disillusioned, and it was an excellent but cruel lesson on electoralism and democratic institutions. However, if you can't actually ever believe good things could happen whats the point? Obviously we all know better now than to believe change is coming from above, but man, those Bush years...

hahahahahah fffffff

it was such an obvious scam from the beginning.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

THS posted:

i liked obama but i was also 22 and very dumb

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
I was a 16 year old Canadian libertarian moron when Obama was elected so I wasn't that excited for him. I don't blame anyone who was though, after living through 8 years of Bush 2 and thinking that this guy might actually change something.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

hahahahahah fffffff

Well why didn't you tell me then?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I was also in the army then, so like, excellent choices all round.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

hahahahahah fffffff

i mean good on you but its easy to see how everyone was swept into it at the time

its also different depending in your age. if you were already a 40 year old terminally cynical alcoholic at the time sure yeah but most of us were wide eyed 20 year old idealists at the time

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

i had some rude lil chads school me on voting for president

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

THS posted:

i liked obama but i was also 18 and even dumber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Virtual Russian posted:

Well why didn't you tell me then?

ill buy archives from jeff and search for the where i did and you called me a conspiracy theory nutjob