Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Fart of Presto posted:

Great to know.
Kragger and I played through We Were Here Too several times, and had a lot of fun doing that, even though we cheated a bit by skipping the walkie talkie thing and just ran audio through Discord.
Especially guiding the other person through the maze in #2 was both frustrating and hilarious at the same time. Kragger had to do so many restarts because my brain is apparently broken when it comes to left and right :)

We also do Discord because gently caress the immersion of having to say "Over" on the built-in walkie-talkie. And when we did that maze in We Were Here Too, we didn't realize you could stop on the circles to pause the timer. So we spent a solid 10-15 minutes trying to run through the maze while also giving split-second directions. :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Sometimes you just hit a streak of lovely games...

Nulled: Adventures On The Polluted Island
You are a crab that shoots a boomerang while you have to do fetch quests on an island filled with radioactive crabs. You then build a raft and sail to another island where there are other radioactive crabs that one-shot kills you.

Nulled: Airscape: The Fall of Gravity
I got dizzy seeing the rotating scenery, so I only played for a couple of minutes, but it's one of those platformers where gravity is variable, and when you jump towards the ceiling, the whole screen turns.

Nulled: Alteric
A minimal platformer (you are a square), where you shift between two realities, and some platforms are on one reality and some are in another. Didn't finish the tutorial before I had died/restarted several times and then quit.

Finished: Dark Parables: Jack and the Sky Kingdom
A HOG, but not really a good one. Or it might just have been like all the others and I'm staring to lose interest in this genre.

Nulled: Door Kickers
Tried a couple of levels but got bored. Not really my kind of genre.

Nulled: Hand Simulator: Survival
Couldn't grab the key to open the box to read the tutorial manual, so i quit. Also it's multiplayer and a survival game and a QWOP, so it's 3 nopes in a row.

Nulled: Sethian
The description sounded neat, and I'm a huge lover of sci-fi where exploration of old alien tech/big dumb objects is involved, but this was a bit too minimal.
I'd rather read the finished story than try to figure out the language puzzle to be honest.

Nulled: SEUM: Speedrunners from Hell
Timed 3D platformer. Close to the bottom of my list of genres I enjoy.

Nulled: Viscera Cleanup Detail
I remember playing and enjoying the first short version in this series, which was a free 1 level promo for Shadow Warrior 2, where you had to clean up. Seeing all the talk about this, House Flipper and Barn Findes got me in the mood to finally install VCD as it has been sitting in my library for quite some time.
The first level was fun. It was a medium sized, well-lit room, where the only annoyance was being forced to use a lift several places. The second level was also medium sized but dark and with a lot of stairs and corners, so you kept getting blood and sludge all of the place when moving legs, torsos and crates of smaller limbs to the furnace.
The rest of the levels where large sized and honestly that didn't sound fun. Also there is some kind of meta game that I wanted to figure out, but when I read some guides on Steam, that just seemed way over the top for a cleaning game, so I decided the easiest way for me to clean up, was to uninstall the game and move it to my Nulled category. A job well done!

Finished: XIII - Lost Identity
A HOG I remembered I had bought a long time ago, and wanted to check out before the remaster/remake of the old XIII FPS game is released.
It was bad. There's a reason Micronoids removed these games from Steam. 800x600, more dialog screens than a Visual Novel, annoying puzzles and boring HO scenes. All mixed with an XIII origin story that's completely bonkers.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Beaten - BDSM: Big Drunk Satanic Massacre
A twin stick shooter where you play as the Devil and fight the occupying forces of American tourists who've made Hell a tourist trap and bang some demon ladies on the side. It was a competently done game.

Beaten - Frost
A survival card game. You need to manage your cards to make it back to camp while surviving wolves, cold, starvation. An interesting concept.

Beaten - Resident Evil 2 (2019 remake)
The remake of the classic survival horror game. I very much enjoyed this. It's atmosphere, graphics, gameplay, and story are top notch. I don't play a lot of survival horror games and this had me feeling tense and jumping in moments of fright. From those early moments on my first playthrough where I desperately pumped an entire clip of hand rounds into a zombie only to have it rise again to judging weather to push onward into difficult rooms and boss fights without saving during my rank S+ attempt. I highly recommend.

Beaten - Dishonored 2
It's been some time since I played Dishonored 1 and as with the first game I cut a bloody swath through the world. I do appreciate how much freedom Arkane Studios has given us and how many different ways scenarios can play out. Like how I solved a puzzle to unlock a door without speaking to any of the NPCs I was told could help me. That was nice even if I solved most of my problems in game with a sword, a gun, and some magic.

Beaten - Night of the Full Moon
Another card based game with some RPG elements. This time you're Red Riding Hood and you're off in search of your grandma. You can win gold, cards, items from your opponents and shop for HP, MP (maybe not the right term) and card upgrades at shops. There seem to be multiple endings on who it was who kidnapped your grandma.

Beaten - Titanfall® 2
The overlooked FPS from the former leading makers of Call of Duty. The gameplay is an interesting blend of FPS, giant mech robot fighting, and parkour. Which integrated together very well during the single campaign and provide a nice fast paced experience.

Beaten - Papers, Please
This game received critical acclaim when it was released, but I frankly didn't enjoy it. I just didn't enjoy doing the busy work of a border guard.

Beaten - Invisible, Inc.
A stealth based game in the style of Shadowrun. It was ok.

Beaten - MURDERED: SOUL SUSPECT™
A ghost noir game where you need to solve you're own murder. The story is fine, but I think I would have been better had it dropped the need to sneak up on ghost demons and beat them with quicktime events and focused more on solving mysteries.

Beaten - Prey
This is a game I should have loved completely do to it's story, setting, exploration, just everything. What soured me was it's god awful mouse and keyboard controls. I couldn't rebind things to where I wanted them and made repeated mistakes from clicking the wrong keys. An example would be when I'm in the inventory screen, usually I pres Esc to exit this screen, but Prey forces you use Mouse 2. Which is also bound to you're combat focus ability. So very frequently I would tap Esc, remember I had to hit Mouse 2. Hit Mouse 2 to exit but also trigger the ability and lose the mana points. I know this is an odd thing to rant about. Maybe I'll play New Game + with a controller and see how that is at a later date.

Beaten - Resident Evil HD Remake
The remake the survival horror game that started the famed series. I sat down and played this one with a guide on Very Easy as I found the limited inventory and not being able to drop items frustrating. The pre-rendered background is still very beautiful and gives the game a great atmosphere. If you like older style survival horror and haven't played this then you should.

Beaten - Dragon Quest VIII
The usual charm, combat, and straightforward, but with a couple twists story of most Dragon Quest games are all here. If you're a fan of old schools JRPGs or JRPGs in general than I would recommend this for you.

Beaten - Radiant Historia: Prefect Chronology
Where the aforementioned Dragon Quest carries onward the torch of classic JRPGs. Radiant Historia does something rather different. Here enemies sit on a 3x3 grid and you can (and must if not playing on Story mode) use abilities to knock enemies into each other and chain hits on them. The story has you jump between two different timelines to save the world.

On Hold - Middle-earth™: Shadow of War™ and FINAL FANTASY XV WINDOWS EDITION
I've placed both these games on hold until I get a new GPU as performance while playing them isn't where I want it to be.

In Progress - Undertale
Two hours in and this could well be the greatest game ever made.

phew

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Pretty decent month as far as these things go. Still picking random stuff out of the Itch.io bundle and seeing what they are - I haven't played anything truly dreadful yet. Other than that spent most of this month playing the MGS2's VR Missions, which I'm completely addicted to. Also was nice to play a new Zelda game, though various parts of Oracle of Seasons drove me a bit nuts. I also repaired and refitted a dusty backwards compatible PS3 that was on its last legs, so I'm going to play some more obscure stuff I missed first time around.

Full write-ups behind the links!

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (PS2, 2001)

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (PS4, 2019)

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Game Boy Color, 2001)

Mortal Kombat (PC, 2011)

Wolfenstein: Youngblood (PC, 2019)

Underhero (PC, 2018)

Ruya (PC, 2017)

Dark Souls III: Ashes of Ariandel DLC (PC, 2016)

Project Kat (PC, 2020)

This month I'm finally going to play Horizon Zero Dawn, finish off obscure PS2 horror title Kuon and follow that up with the REMake. I've also got Man of Medan, which I want to play through in movie night mode with friends. I'm also getting close to the end of my chronological MGS series playthrough with MGS4. I also bought a Wii U so I can play Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD in a few months (though I am certain that now that I've bought it Nintendo will instantly unveil Switch ports) so might mess around with some games on that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
If you haven't already bought Horizon Zero Dawn the pc port is coming soon and will likely have better graphics if your system is beefy enough. Doubtful it'll have any extra content or major gameplay changes though.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Hit 150 this past month, right at the end. It's clearly time to settle down with some longer games because i'm gaming too high over the speed limit. Not gonna bother describing the itch.io stuff.

#118: ROCKETRON (3hr) (2020) - Fun indie Contralike game with a little bit of Blaster Master-esque world map design.
#119: The Mummy Demastered (3hr) - One of my favorite WayForward games to date.
#120: Knightin+ (3hr) - Zelda knockoff that is dungeon-only.
#121: Aggelos (5.5hr) - Mix of Monster World and Zelda 2.
#122: Supraland (10.5hr) - That first-person Metroidvania in a sandbox everyone always talks about. It was fun!
#123: Broken Reality (7hr) - Very uneven first person puzzler with some cool vaporwave environments but a mediocre creepypasta-esque finish.
#124: DUSK (8hr) - Fuckin' good FPS. Very memorable levels.
#125: Wide Ocean Big Jacket (45min) - Slightly interactive kinetic novel about two teens camping with their aunt and uncle. Charming but bittersweet.
#126: Hero of the Kingdom: Lost Tales 1 (3.5hr) - A lot better than HotK3, ends pretty abruptly.
#127: Helen's Mysterious Castle (7hr) - JRPG about climbing down a tower, largely solo combat oriented with a unique item-based turn-based combat system
#128: Herald: Book I and II (3hr) - Something inbetween a point n click adventure and telltale game (so I guess it's like earlier Telltale) about navigating the politics on board a ship in an alternate history.
#129: AMID EVIL (7.5hr) - Not quite as good as Dusk but a mostly solid FPS
#130: One-Eyed Lee (2hr)
#131: And All Would Cry Beware (1hr)
#132: Chook & Sosig Walk the Plank (2.5hr)
#133: Gumgem (.5hr)
#134: Forever Lost (2hr)
#135: Forever Lost 2 (2hr)
#136: Broken Minds (2hr)
#137: The Recipe of Madness (1hr)
#138: The Search (1hr)
#139: Rex: Another Island (1hr)
#140: Hotel Paradise (15min)
#141: Hollow Head (.5hr)
#142: NecroBarista (5hr) - Kinetic 3D novel about a cafe between life and the afterlife. Has the energy of a quirky VN but keeps things relatively low-scale.
#143: The Textorcist (2hr) - A typing boss rush game, that's got me written all over it. The mechanics don't fully harmonize, but it's not a super long game, so the issues I had were not game ruining, like they would've been if this game was twice or three times as long.
#144: Veritas (4hr)
#145: Jam and the Mystery of the Mysteriously Spooky Mansion (1hr)
#146: Deliver Us the Moon (5hr) - First person walking sim in space, it's another one of these!! It's a better one though, aside from the character controlling like they have ice skates.
#147: Forager (14hr) - This one had no actual credit-triggering event, so I considered it done once I was done with it.
#148: The White Door (1.5hr) - The new Rusty Lake game this year, a bit of a step back... tries to do a Hotel Dusk thing with side by side screens, but it's not really great execution, and leans too hard on story, which is not Rusty Lake's specialty, rather than puzzles, which are.
#149: Aliens vs Predator 2010 - Better to play this one before 2000 then after. This one is generic as gently caress, with straight-line level design, forgettable NPCs and story, and little enemy variety.
#150: Observation (4hr) - loving COOL. I loved this one. They managed to make a game like Lifeline but actually good (probably because there's no speech recognition mechanic).

Among the next batch in August: Halo series, possibly trying MMOs... otherwise, Wolfenstein Youngblood, Blood: Fresh Supply, Overload, probably more arcade games, Beyond Blue, Beyond a Steel Sky, Little Orpheus, more itch.io. IDK!!!!

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 1, 2020

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Done With - Pathway
The concept for this seems much cooler than the actual game. Who doesn't want to control a group of wannabe tomb raiding archeologists fighting nazis and cultists in various middle-eastern / north african settings in a turn based fashion. It's a shame the combat is really boring and unengaging and the non-combat encounters don't really bring anything to the table. If the combat was better or the non-combat encounters had some light CYOA-like elements thrown in, I'd be all over this. Right now, finishing a few adventures is enough for me, since it looks like I'd need to grind a bit to have a proper chance at the next one. Leaving it installed since I might feel like playing it at some point and it's a small install, but not considering it as an active game anymore.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

#119: The Mummy Demastered (3hr) - One of my favorite WayForward games to date.

I haven't played this but how dare you not mention the soundtrack!

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
Nulled: Skyrim
I played this for over 20 hours and I realised towards the end that I was just going through the motions. I didn't care if I completed the game or not and the story wasn't compelling at all. Skyrim has its good points but not enough of them to get me through another 25+ hours of play.

Up next I am going to replay through Homeworld, I can't wait. Hopefully the remastered edition isn't as unstable as I have heard.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Beaten - Undertale
The greatest game ever made. :shittydog:

Broken - Psychonauts
Tim Schafer's quirky cult classic platformer. I had to abandon it after encountering a bug I couldn't resolve. The Cobweber Duster would remain stuck in it's animation after removing a cobweb. This prevented me from speaking to NPCs or switching items.

Beaten - Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut.
The second of Harebrained Schemes three turn based tactical RPGs. I think it's a well made game with good gameplay with an interesting setting, and a well told fantasy cyberpunk story.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Thanks to some surgery recovery time I powered through some more games this week and have completed another alphabet set! Where I'm missing an entry (say # or Z) I added an extra of a letter that I have a ton of in order to keep it at 26 games. Struck through games were nulled. My beat/nulled split this time was 16/10. Games with * indicate a favorite of the batch.

# - No # titles!
A - Age of Empires III. Somehow feels more dated than I remember AOE2 being.
B - Baldur's Gate*. Always wished I could play this when I'd pass it on a store shelf as a kid. Played a half-orc barbarian and had a lot of fun!
C - Clive Barker's Jericho. Neat body-hopping mechanic conceptually but the actual execution of everything is just bad-janky from start to finish.
D - Dragonsphere. Apparently had this free from GOG. Used a guide since I'm not capable of wrapping my brain around how these really old point and click adventure games work.
E - Epistory*. Really enjoyed this a lot. Having to type to change "ammo" while also typing to keep up with the combat made for a fun challenge. Really loved the art style.
F - Fluffy Horde. Little too juvenile for me.
G - GRID. Eh.
H - The Hex. Very shallow and clunky but I have a soft spot for nostalgia-bait and playing through variations on old NES themes.
I - Inner Space. Really beautiful but kinda aimless.
J - Journey*. Lived up to the hype!
K - Kunai. Was pleasantly surprised by this. Movement was enjoyable even if the rest of the game wasn't terribly deep.
L - Lords of the Fallen*. The premiere Souls-like. Clunky af. Played a cleric. Struggled a ton on the third boss but then Got Gud and stomped on the rest of the game.
M - Minit. Without the time reset conceit not sure this would have much going for it.
N - Niche. Not for me.
O - Observer. Seems like a really cool walking sim mystery but after the twenty minute brain death dream sequence I kept getting lost in the apartments and just got a little too frustrated.
P - Project Warlock. Lightweight Doom-like. Very short levels, aim and click to win boss fights. Fun time waster.
Q - No Q titles!
R - Rise of Industry. Not for me.
S1 - Street Fighter V. Just played the campaign DLC because I'm awful at competitive fighters! No Blanca, who I vaguely remember from the skating rink arcade and was sad to miss.
S2 - SUPERHOT* Very fun, breezy puzzler. Really enjoyed figuring out some of the dicey later levels.
S3 - Stranger Things 3 Shocked to have had some fun with this, but think the music/vibe was doing some heavy lifting in place of enjoyable quests.
T - Turok. Got a few levels in and just ran out of steam. Not bad just kinda samey level to level.
U - Uncharted: Drake's Fortunate Remaster*. Years behind. Enjoyed a lot. Fun protag and supporting characters, big set pieces, terrible combat.
V - Volgarr the Viking. Got to the first boss and realized I just didn't have it in me to master a Contra-like.
W - The Walking Dead: Michonne*. Have played TWD Season 1 and loved it. Had heard quality goes down but I enjoyed this as a side story. Not as emotionally resonant but didn't need to be.
X - XCOM 2*. Post-op sleep disruption has had me up and wide awake at 1am the last few days so I pounded the base game out. Don't own the expansion. Totally screwed myself on my first run without upgrades, started over and led our people to victory! Had a game generated ranger woman code-named Samurai who could one shot most anything with a sword. Would recommend Samurai for all squads.
Y - Yoku's Island Express. Seems super cute but I'm terrible at pinball!
Z - No Z titles!

And now we're off to start alphabet three!

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

BEATEN - Horace
Got this as a freebie from Epic. Was pretty excited, because a quick google game me a lot of buzz about it being the best platformer of 2019. Gameplay wise, it's fine. The jumpings good and you get a fair amount of skills that basically all unlock around the halfway point (though some of them are a bit pointless). There are some annoyances, like your sticky anti-gravity boots deciding to glue you up to the ceiling instead of just letting you jump forwards, but nothing major. One gripe is that the game could have been more free flowing. It only really opens up for exploration at the halfway point, and then takes all your freedom away pretty suddenly again. Only at the very end do you get it back.

While this is mainly a one person project, it's still pretty unpolished technically. There are a fair bit of bugs, a couple of spots in the game that really stick out as bad design and this is a pixel platformer that takes up 14.5 gigs of hard drive space. For fucks sake, learn how to render your cutscenes in engine instead of using video.

Another low point was the story, which a lot of reviews thought was excellent. For me, it was mostly a set of nonsenical plot-twists. At one point you're sent to the moon because that's where the worlds elite have secretly run off to. At another, you're crowned king of the universe because you won a game of pong. This lasts for exactly 1 cutscene before it's forgotten. The writing can be pretty fun at times, but Horace with his deadpan delivery is about on par with a silent protagonist for me. I would have appreciated just having a single VA as a narrator.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Beaten - Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2
The sequel to the spin-off. The retro 8bit game brings more characters, new levels, bosses in another excellent homage to the classic Castlevania games. There's also a corgi driving a mecha that wears a top hat.

Beaten - Technobabylon
A point and click adventure game set in a cyberpunk future where one of the characters interfaces with the internet in a Ghost in the Machine kinda way. Snippets of the story seemed interesting, but I started to mostly skip through the dialogue to finish it quickly though. I don't enjoy point and click adventure games. You could say it didn't click with me.

Beaten - XCOM: Enemy Unknown
This took me a couple of restarts to finally get into, (and lowering the difficulty to Very Easy) but once I did juggling the research, engineering, soldiers, etc really made me feel like a commander running not just a turn-based tactics game, but a whole war effort.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
NULLED: Cave Story

I could never get into it and ended up watching a LP from VoiceofDog

NULLED: Axiom Verge

I could never get into it and ended up watching a LP from VoiceofDog

:shrug: 2 games down.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Broken: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
Broken: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones

This is very disappointing. As I loved the first game very much and played it a lot on my Xbox. I wasn't allowed the sequels due to them being rated M and from what I managed to play the combat and platforming were real steps up over Sands of Time. Even though the edgy tone of Warrior Within is cringe and I didn't get far enough into The Two Thrones to judge the story.

I made it about halfway into Warrior Within, but in the Water Maiden section there's a rope you're supposed to use to get over a large gap. Despite several attempts it simply drops the Prince. I can swing back, but not forward. I reloaded the save and then the save before that, but can't resolve the issue. I had some other issues such as crashes, portals being active when they shouldn't, the cutscene with Dahaka not triggering so the wall it's suppose to break to allow you to advance is intact, and having the Sand Wraith model load in after the first chase.

Like Warrior Within. I reached an impassable point to The Two Thrones in The Fortress. Where you're suppose to slide down a chain. Except the Dark Prince gets stuck and can't slide down far enough to survive the drop or trigger a stealth kill on the enemy standing below.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I looked over my games I've played so far this year, and at my actual backlog, and I've realized I'm back at a point where I could start playing an alphabet again. Might as well have a go at it.

COMPLETED: Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga. This is the busted GBA version, and I cleared it along with all the real sidequests, so I'm calling that Completed. The later versions fix the awful game balance, I hear, but even without that this game was a whole lot of fun and loved pretty much every ten-minute stretch of it, even if not every minute.

POKED AT: LEGO Marvel Super Heroes. Not actually funny in the right ways after Superstar Saga. Shelved but not Nulled.

BEATEN: Unepic. I don't recommend this game, but I did actually really enjoy playing it. The writing is is neither as edgy, clever, nor funny as it thinks it is, and being a translation out of extremely colloquial Spanish neither helps it nor excuses it. That said, get past that and the moment-to-moment gameplay was really good; it felt like it was doubling down on all the bits of Maze of Galious that La-Mulana did not double down on, and I was onboard with that. The final level was also very interesting, changing up the gameplay a bit while being exactly hard enough for me that I ended up having to Git Gud instead of just bashing down a wall with my face. I cleared it on Hard, and this was 100% the right choice for me in terms of challenge and mechanics.

BEATEN: Journey. All the atmosphere of Dark Souls but without the combat and it's over in two hours. A chill way to spend an evenings, and the randomized co-op stuff wound up working pretty well. I wound up with six companions despite this game being like 8 years old now.

IN PROGRESS: Dragon Quest 8: Journey of the Cursed King. I haven't played a DQ game since DQ1. I'm liking this so far but I'm still pretty early in.

IN PROGRESS: Crusader: No Regret. The first game (Crusader: No Remorse) was a big part of my dorm life, and I finally revisited it and cleared it about a decade ago. I picked up No Regret right after that, where it sat ignored for another decade. Time to pick that up again. It still feels good to play, but it's still Hella 90s and the control scheme is still incredibly bizarre because even in 1996 we Really Hadn't Quite Figured This poo poo Out.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ManxomeBromide posted:

IN PROGRESS: Dragon Quest 8: Journey of the Cursed King. I haven't played a DQ game since DQ1. I'm liking this so far but I'm still pretty early in.

I've played 5, 8, 9 and 11 and 8 probably has my favorite cast of characters in the bunch (you build your own party in 9 so I almost didn't even list it).

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Beat - Biped: You play a robot, and you control each leg of the robot independently to walk. It's a co-op platformer involving timing your movements together, so that you can reach the goal. The tasks in the main levels range from easy to mildly challenging. When you get to the "Pro" levels, though, they are "throw your controller through all of your windows and smash your computer to bits" infuriating. Especially when, like me, you aren't actually that good at video games. Needless to say, we played through 2 of the 16 "Pro" levels, and I put the kibosh on continuing.

Edit:
Beat - Tiny Room Stories: Town Mystery (Android): This was an episodic Android escape room game. They recently released the last chapter, but I'd been playing along the entire time. I thoroughly enjoyed it. There were some puzzles throughout that made me scratch my head and have to watch their Youtube walkthrough that they link to in-game (and still not understand the logic behind the solution most times). I liked the graphics and how they presented the world, and some of the extra achievements were fun to figure out.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 27, 2020

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Beaten - Fire Emblem Blazing Blade: This is only my 2nd FE game after Awakening. I think this game did most things better than Awakening but the things it didn't(grinding/ui/linearity) really annoyed me. That being said I think the levels were really well designed, each encounter has a different objective compared to Awakening which is mainly just kill everyone, tactics are more important since there are almost no rpg mechanics. It also doesn't have the marriage simulation that the series has gotten popular for. The characters, story and battle is better than Awakening though. Worth trying if you only played new FE games to see the series's older style. Normally I replay these on harder difficulty but the last few chapters incredibly tedious so won't bother.

Beaten - Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order: Quite enjoyed this game, it's another soulslike or perhaps you could call it Sekirolike since it is much closer to that than Souls. Did 2 playthroughs one on normal and then hard. I remember seeing lots of people saying this game is hard, it's not if you played any Souls or Sekiro. This game gives you so many bonfires you will almost never have issues with getting stuck somewhere. On hard, the parrying mechanic which is the main mechanics of the game becomes harder to execute on hard difficulty because your timing window is more demanding. It's kinda weird because the animations in this game are not clear cut sometimes so you will parry something but nothing will happen. I wish they gave you a bit more force bar because they tried to make it like a Souls game so you can't abuse your force power but I feel like if they went more toward a bit action or had more abilities that gave you back force resource back. The soundtrack is amazing, the story/cast is the most interesting from the Star Wars universe in a while. Combat is fun although not souls level. Worst thing is probably the amount of backtracking. Worth it if you liked Souls or more importantly Sekiro.

Beaten - UFC 4: Not really sure how to count a sports game but I completed the career mode and won the championship. UFC games are basically a bit more realistic and easier to learn fighting games. I been getting into SFV lately so it was kinda fun to learn both these games and see differences in styles. There is a decent amount of depth in this game especially in the standup/striking game. Unfortunately the controls for grappling and how grappling works is quite confusing even after tutorial. Career mode is fun although this game just seems to have a lot of bad user experience choices. Lots of loading screens, apparently there is in game advertising too? Didn't see that though. Online is good for some casual fun in these games but I don't have ps+ so I didn't bother. I think the THQ UFC Undisputed games were better than this, they found a good middle ground between realistic and arcadey. This goes sometimes to much into realistic which removes the fun. Still worth, I got around 15h from playing a long career and trying out some tournament modes, if you like mma or ufc get it maybe on sale.

Beaten - Final Fantasy 7 Remake: Never played the original so I don't really care about the story changes. Also in a game where 99% of it is combat, why would I give more weight to the story? The gameplay is amazing, this is a jrpg with freaking animation canceling, dodge mechanics, parry mechanics. The RPG aspects of lvling materia and pairing them to make really cool unique combos was so good too. There were so many pairs that I didn't think of like steal enemy skill + hp absorb, you can steal the ability self destruct and not die due the hp absorb materia being linked to it. Music is great, I actually got the OST, the newer tracks are bangers. Even though I had no nostalgia, I went in with huge expectations and it lived up to them. I just wish the story stayed around Avalanche, ecoterrorism, Shinra mega corporation's tyranny. Instead as every jrpg it has to become about killing some sort of god figure. Still think most of the story is better than most of other FF games. This game is also exclusvie to ps4 for now but it really needs a PC version or next gen, some of the textures in this game are godawful ps2 era poo poo, I know it was a decision so the game always runs atleast at 30fps but still it was jarring because character models were 10/10 but background assets 5/10 or even 2/10 unloaded level garbage. That being said I am going to replay this game on hard, try max all my characters out, do the new vr simulations you get on hard mode. The gameplay is so fun that I really want to mess around with it more and grind for the best loot.

Now I have started Danganronpa, probably gonna do ff7r hard run. I was thinking of playing Shadow Hearts 2 but that might be too much jrpgs. I got the Avengers game so will check that one out as well.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Nulled: 10 Second Ninja X
Speed run platformer is probably a fun thing. Just not for me.

Nulled: AdVenture Capitalist
I finally played a clicker game and had to uninstall it. Then a couple of days later, I installed it again, just to see how much money it had accumulated. I did the same uninstall/reinstall a couple of times, and realized it was really addicting to see the numbers go up, but was also aware that this was probably the most stupid "game" I've played in a long time, so now it's moved to the Nulled category, and I'm not installing it again.

Nulled: Amigdala
A lovely horror/walking sim game.

Nulled: Aparment 666
A lovely horror/walking sim game.

Nulled: Blades of Time
Scantily clad lady with huge... swords, jumping around a lot, battling monsters with added magical weapons. When the time rewind thing got introduced, I quit, because I absolutely hate that mechanic in any game.
Also the lady in the game did not look like the lady on the cover :(

Nulled: Bret Airborne
A match 3 rpg battle game. Not really fun though.

Nulled: Case #8
Ugh, yet another lovely horror/walking sim game. Why is it, that these games try to emulate walking and end up with extreme head bopping and the feel of walking through molasses. It's like the devs have never tried, you know, "walking" as an activity.

Nulled: Corporate Lifestyle Simulator
An OK indie shooter where you kill managers in an office building. The best part is, the zombies are not moaning "brains", but all kinds of corporate-speak buzzwords.

Nulled: Cosmophony
Rhythm shooter, with some decent techno tracks (at least for an old fart like me), but I didn't have a lot progress, as it quickly went way to fast for me.

Finished: Demon Hunter 3: Revelation
An OK standard HOG

Finished: MOAI 2: Path to Another World
Casual Time Management game. I like the mechanics better in this series than in 12 Labours of Hercules, as whenever something has been produced, you don't send a worker out to pick it up, but just mouse over it. A bit more frantic, when you also have to issue orders, but at the same time not as frustrating when you need the resources, but have to wait until the worker returns with the loot, before you can start using it.

Finished: Titanfall 2
That was a pretty drat awesome single player campaign!
Lots of fun playing both as a regular FPS soldier, and also as a huge mech. I'm not sold on the wall running mechanics, and I'm honestly glad that it's been officially dropped from Cyberpunk 2077.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Fart of Presto posted:

but was also aware that this was probably the most stupid "game" I've played in a long time, so now it's moved to the Nulled category, and I'm not installing it again.

That's what they all say but if you reset the game to get the multipliers your numbers will only go up faster.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

al-azad posted:

That's what they all say but if you reset the game to get the multipliers your numbers will only go up faster.
I know. I tried that on Earth, and it made it even more addictive to see which ridiculous number would show up next.
:negative:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

A much smaller August, because, well I passed my usual yearly target of 150 games already. So I played some longer stuff.

#151: Halo 3 (6.5hr) - Didn't really like it, honestly I just don't like the Halo series, I'm fine with the color and aesthetic, not a fan of the weapons and lack of enemy variety, and the interior level design is always really bad.
#152: Star Wars: The Old Republic (43hr) - A solid Bioware game from a not-Bioware Bioware team. I went with the han solo type class, there seem to be 8 different story campaigns but this is the one I played and I don't know that I really feel like playing 7 more campaigns of the same hotbar combat. a lot of the quests are just "go there and kill things" but they at least have cutscenes and voiced dialog. and you have companions but you can't gently caress them as far as I can tell. maybe you can, idk.
#153: Mass Effect 2 (20hr) - Bioware's modern classic? Well, I wouldn't go that far, there's a lot of bad interior corridor design that feels more "practical for a walking simulator" than for combat situations. I do like Renegade Sheppard though. The story was a bit inert and some of the "mine planets for resources" type activities were really dumb.
#154: Control (8hr) - Really enjoyed this one, I am not on the "Actuuuually Control sucks and is bad" team. The combat is fun, movement is great, atmosphere and story are great. Unlike ME2, the fighting areas actually make some sense despite being in an office building. It's too bad the game's version of a shotgun isn't great, which makes FEAR still the superior office building game.
#155: Guns Gore and Connoli 2 (2hr) - Sidescrolling run and gun with generic mafia theming and zombies. Not much to say about this one
#156: Ziggurat (1.5hr) - Roguelike FPS that has been praised in the past.. I actually thought it was kinda bare bones, the rooms have very little variation, the floors have little variation, you just do five of 'em and that's it. Even the bosses are kinda samey. I assume immortal redneck has done this better, I'll have to try that one eventually.
#157: Exile's End (5hr) - Metroidvania with mixed reviews on Steam that I actually kinda liked. It claims to not be a Metroidvania but it absolutely is one, so I assume that's a joke. It's primarily inspired by Delphine Software games (Future Wars, Flashback) but without the intentional input lag of those games. A tiny bit of adventure gaming, but mostly exploratory. Doesn't overstay its welcome.
#158: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (3hr) - A lot different than what I was expecting from Chinese Room. yes you do walk incredibly slowly, and there's almost nothing to physically interact with, but the story was a lot more sci-fi than I was expecting and had a sort of bittersweet but hopeful tone to it.
#159: Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae (2hr) - I'd always seen this one on Steam but never bought it, but I got PS Now recently (which is also how I played a lot of games on this month's list), and it was on there. A very low budget character action game where you fight waves of enemies. It's nowhere near as in-depth as a Devil May Cry game but I guess it was fine. See I prefer games with level design which is primarily why I don't get too much into the DMC series, because the first one had level design, and then they stopped with that, and then DMC fans shouted that level design is unimportant actually. so I guess what i'm saying is, play metal gear rising revengeance.
#160: Greedfall (23hr) - A solid Bioware game from a not-Bioware studio, Spiders. Actually only one instance of falling through the floor, and it auto-warped me back, so Spiders actually did not make a buggy game for once. It's just janky in the other way Spiders games are, so really bad combat for one, a lot of typos in the script, and just little odd decisions, like pausing mid-loading to take you to a tiny camp area where you can talk to companions and buy stuff, which feels like a throwback to the early 2000s.

future games: divinity original sin (started), tokyo xanadu EX (started), puppeteer (started), maybe I get back to my PS4 backlog and play Gravity Rush 2 and Nier Automata? and since it's no longer a sauna in my room maybe I'll do some PS2/TG16 gaming again, get back to the '20/20' year of retrogaming

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Completed: What Remains of Edith Finch - A story about everyone in a family dying. I'm not sure what to say about it. The different gameplay styles for each story kept it interesting enough to get through, but I didn't really engage with the story itself.

Completed: We Were Here Too - Fun cooperative game about solving puzzles through communication. That said, you can get what this game offers, either better or cheaper by playing We Were Here Together or We Were Here.

Dropped: Graveyard Keeper - Just play Stardew Valley, or any of the clones of it that are popping up now. The tech tree and crafting are overly complicated. Your most important resource is unable to be acquired outside of a single once a week event. When you feel like you've got a solid profitable loop going, the game kneecaps you by having the cart donkey go on strike until you deliver certain items to it. Items you may no longer be able to afford because you were relying on the income from his deliveries.

Dropped: Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - I picked this up because a few people on these forums recommended it as something to scratch the itch that Hollow Knight left, but I didn't like it. The combat felt shallow and it was frustrating to navigate the world. Ironically, I've seen the exact same complaints directed at Hollow Knight from Bloodstained fans.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

The 7th Guest posted:

#156: Ziggurat (1.5hr) - Roguelike FPS that has been praised in the past.. I actually thought it was kinda bare bones, the rooms have very little variation, the floors have little variation, you just do five of 'em and that's it. Even the bosses are kinda samey. I assume immortal redneck has done this better, I'll have to try that one eventually.

Immortal Redneck is a lot better imo. The best roguelite FPS might actually be the early access Gunfire Reborn. I loved Immortal Redneck, but would almost recommend skipping it and going straight to Gunfire at this point, especially if you are waiting awhile to play either anyways.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

tildes posted:

Immortal Redneck is a lot better imo. The best roguelite FPS might actually be the early access Gunfire Reborn. I loved Immortal Redneck, but would almost recommend skipping it and going straight to Gunfire at this point, especially if you are waiting awhile to play either anyways.

I agree with this. Also keeping an eye on Roboquest, seems similar to Gunfire Reborn

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Putting this list together has made me realize despite owning over 2,000 games on Steam and a bunch on plenty of other platforms I still end up playing the same games over and over again.

Completed Tales of Symphonia (64 hrs): Originally played this on the GC when it came out. Great game that still holds up pretty well. The world map and dungeon design is definitely of the era, but the battle system is great and the story is also filled with memorable characters. Enjoyed all the updates brought into the PS3 version.

Completed Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition (34 hrs): Great last generation open world game. Really engrossing story and the combat is an evolution of the Batman style, while adding lots of cool touches like jumping from vehicle to vehicle. Also, the lack of guns gives them meaning when they are finally introduced which felt pretty novel. Also, driving took a second to get used to but is pretty fun and the soundtrack/radio selection is awesome. It's a little weird playing a somewhat rogue cop in Hong Kong in the year 2020, but cognitive dissonance aside it's recommended.

Fully Completed Chrono Trigger (54 hrs): Again, a game I played on the original platform. Had a lot of fun playing through again and seeing all the additions from the PS & DS versions of the game. I know this version had a rocky start but by the time I played it, all the patches had been added and I was very happy and can say it's the definitive version of Chrono Trigger, especially for the modern era. Also, having the ending viewer was great and also spurred me to try getting all the different endings for the first time. Also, got all achievements which are all tied to getting endings.

Fully Completed Thomas Was Alone (4.6 hrs): Played a little bit of this game when it originally came out on PS3. Finally got around to finishing it as well as the 2 extra prologue chapters, and I also went back to get all achievements. Fun, enjoyed the British humor and reminded me a lot of Stanley Parable. Really enjoyed the concept of being an AI gaining sentience and the puzzles never got too frustrating which is something I appreciate as someone who's not very good at these types of games.

Working on Mega Man X Legacy Collection (Mega Man X, X2, & X3) (33 hrs): I beat Mega Man X & X4 back in the day on Wii Virtual Console and PlayStation respectively, played Mega Man X2 for the first time and enjoyed it quite a bit. The addition of the extra bosses was fun and I love seeing how Zero became more and more of a major character. Same with Mega Man X3, boss designs were a little forgettable but the game was still really fun to play and all the armor upgrades added a lot of new movement options. Also enjoyed fighting Vile again. Then went back and played Mega Man X again, forgot how brutally hard the final form of Sigma is in the first one. I'll eventually go back and play through Mega Man X4, but I wanna take a break for now lest I burn out.

Completed Bayonetta (14 hrs): Played it a little bit back on the Xbox 360. A great followup to DMC, really enjoyed all the bosses and the pacing was pretty good throughout. Another banger that was worth going back to complete.

Completed A Boy and His Blob (13.1 hrs): After getting frustrated and dropping the game at the final boss about a year ago, I finally went back and completed it. Great game, great levels and fun puzzles, but the bosses require increasingly tight timing that the game cannot hold up to. There were numerous times where I knew I was dead 5 or 6 seconds before I actually died just because you got in so many checkmate situations and the long animations and slowness of the character exacerbate these problems even more.

Completed Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition (58 hrs): Another game I played back in the day but never completed. Happy to go back and finally check this one off the list. A classic RPG and the game that got me into the entire D&D universe. Story still holds up and it's great to play a Bioware game with lots of dialogue and lots of choices. Sometimes you may end up screwing yourself, but this is a game that demands rigorous quicksaving which I have no problem employing so I never had a huge problem. Overall a fantastic experience, and I hope I'll get to play through the additional Siege of Dragonspear content.

Fully Completed Okami HD (52 hrs): Another game I played previously when it came out on the Wii. It was a great game then and is still a great action game in the style of 3D Zeldas. I was worried I'd lose something from not having the Wii remote controls but it still played pretty well and I got used to using the right stick for the brush moves pretty quickly. Last time I played I got all of the beads except one so this time I'm glad I was able to get everything. Played through a few minutes into New Game Plus just to see the weird skins/costumes you get for beating the game 100%.

Completed Fallout 3: GOTY Edition (80 hrs): Never played this when it originally came out. Had fun going back and playing through the main campaign as well as the DLC. It definitely shows its age but I didn't run into too many terrible bugs and as a fan of Oblivion I had a lot of fun roaming around exploring the wasteland and discovering all of the horrific things Vault Tec has done over the years.

Completed Dark Souls Remastered (66 hrs): Finally completed this game after putting 102 hrs into the original but never getting further than Bed of Chaos. Definitely one of the greatest games of all time. A superb 3D action game and a great reinvention of the Metroidvania formula.

Completed Grand Theft Auto IV (32 hrs): Another game I played through originally on 360. It was fun revisiting this version of Liberty City, and due to having played it before I was able to get the Liberty City Minute achievement this time through. Luckily I was able to play it before the update that removed a lot of the radio stations and songs.

Completed Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor (27.3 hrs): Another great open world game. This one had lots of fun abilities and you are basically a superhero by the end of the game in terms of movement speed. It was fun having a LOTR game where the Orcs are scared of you and you're clearly the hunter.

Completed Resident Evil 4 (19.2 hrs): Another classic I'm playing through for the umpteenth time. Not a lot to say, other than it still holds up after all these years. Only thing I wish they'd change is unlocking Professional difficulty from the start.

Completed Resident Evil (20 hrs): Went back and finally played through the Chris campaign after originally playing through as Jill. Another all time classic I've played twice before on GC and Wii. Will probably play through again at some point maybe to get some of the easier achievements I missed.

Completed Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga (19.7 hrs): Another game I've played through on a previous release. Got through the whole campaign but petered out trying to get all the collectibles. Fun game but getting all the collectibles seems like a slog so I'm done with this for now. Still my favorite of all the Traveller's Tales Lego games.

FanaticalMilk fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 6, 2020

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Done with - Aztez
I can see how this can be a good game, but it just didn't hit me. The strategy part of the game wasn't explained well, but I seemed to be able to manage just fine now knowing what the hell I was doing. The combat side of things is okay, but gets pretty old since you're pretty much always in a flat arena. I don't know, maybe I'd like it more if I was into score attacks or maybe it really opens up later on when a lot of the weapons and such are unlocked, but for now, it's just more or less uneventful.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Had a surprising amount of actual work to do in August and didn't get a tonne of stuff played. I also got asked to write reviews for a site called Games Freezer who're sending me more Steam keys than I know what to do with. The dream of actually finishing or even shrinking my backlog is long dead now and I'm just going to have to live with it (and that's ignoring the teetering pile of 1600 Itch.io games. I also got asked to write a nice retrospective of Tomb Raider IV for another site that hasn't been published yet.

I got tired of waiting for Wind Waker HD to be re-released on Switch, so I finally bit the bullet and bought a used Wii U. Now that I've got it I'm certain they're going to announce Switch ports of WW and TP HD any day now.

Anyhows, here's what I got played this month with full write-ups behind the links.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3, 2008)

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (Game Boy Color, 2001)

Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4, 2017)

Control AWE DLC (PS4, 2020)

Kuon (PS2, 2004)

Sokobond (PC, 2013)

Teenage Blob (PC, 2020)

Griefhelm (PC, 2020)

This month I'm finally finishing my Metal Gear chronological playthrough with MGR Revengeance, going to finish off the final Dark Souls III DLC, get through new Don't Nod game Tell Me Why and maybe play PN.03 because I got a cheap copy and I've always been curious about it.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

A much smaller August, because, well I passed my usual yearly target of 150 games already. So I played some longer stuff.

#153: Mass Effect 2 (20hr) - Bioware's modern classic? Well, I wouldn't go that far, there's a lot of bad interior corridor design that feels more "practical for a walking simulator" than for combat situations. I do like Renegade Sheppard though. The story was a bit inert and some of the "mine planets for resources" type activities were really dumb.

Congrats on finishing freaking 150 games, impressive would be understatement

As for Mass Effect 2 it was a pretty groundbreaking title at the time. It's one of the first Bioware games with real good mix of action + rpg combat. I don't know where the hype came from because the first one was also hyped up but then ended up being pretty tedious and it was super rpg heavy in terms of combat/loot but you could tell the story wanted to move at a faster pace but the combat was really slow. Also the best thing about ME2 were the diverse companions and their backstory, even the dlc companions had really cool missions and stories.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Null- The Red Solstice
This is kind of like DoW2. Where you control a small squad of soldiers in missions and upgrade them. Unfornately I found of the gameplay a lot worse than DoW2 and gave up on it at mission 2.

Beaten - Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition
I enjoy Metroidvania games a lot, but this one didn't quite click me. The combat is a little too loose. I found myself rapidly tapping the attack button to race of enemy HP down before my own instead of being able to dodge. The platforming was nice though, but there's some real hard points that feel more obtuse(?) than challenging. Like I actually had to look at a guide to figure some points out.

Beaten - Titan Quest Anniversary Edition & Ragnork Expansion
I picked this back up. I originally stopped playing on reaching the Emperor because my gear wasn't good enough to progress and I didn't feel like grinding better stuff out. I downloaded the TQ Defiler and made myself super OP and ran through the rest of the game and expac on a powertrip one-shotting everything. Who's a god now motherfuckers?

Beaten - Dragon Quest III
The JRPG that defined the entire gene going forward. I don't know if "holds up" is a proper description since the game doesn't feel dated to me. Certainly not in comparison to Final Fantasy I. Which released the same year and is outdone at every turn by DQ3. Where not only class choice is decoupled from gender choice, allowing greater party customization, but also has proto-multiclassing. As you keep learned spells after changing classes. If you're a fan of classic JRPGs and haven't played the granddaddy of the gene I'd recommend it to you. You'll probably go "oh this is where that's from" at some of the story beats as well.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Beat - Donut County: Played through this with my daughter. Quirky and delightful. Has a very Katamari feel to it. It's short and sweet - levels don't overstay their welcome, and new gimmicks don't feel overused or unnecessary.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

FanaticalMilk posted:

Completed Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition (34 hrs): Great last generation open world game. Really engrossing story and the combat is an evolution of the Batman style, while adding lots of cool touches like jumping from vehicle to vehicle. Also, the lack of guns gives them meaning when they are finally introduced which felt pretty novel. Also, driving took a second to get used to but is pretty fun and the soundtrack/radio selection is awesome. It's a little weird playing a somewhat rogue cop in Hong Kong in the year 2020, but cognitive dissonance aside it's recommended.
Me too!

I never really finish games, especially open world map clearers like this, so it was cool to finally wrap one up.

As for the story, being a cop here bothered me a lot less than it does in Spider-Man, because holy poo poo the cops suck and the fact you move back and forth between being a complete psycho and a swat cop really highlights what they are.

Other than that, the story 100% goes the way you expect it to, but that’s ok. The DLC island is pretty fun too, a quick kung fu movie that pretty spot on to the genre.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
BEATEN: Crusader: No Regret, on "Weekend Warrior" difficulty, which is basically "Normal but without the extreme bullshit". But still plenty of bullshit! This is, like its prequel Crusader: No Remorse, an ultra-violent, super-janky cyberpunk shoot-em-up proto-Diabloid-without-the-loot running in the Ultima VIII engine. What it has over No Remorse is more clever combat setpieces, better-produced-and-acted cutscenes, more coherent maps, and a better grasp on the fact that you may be an unstoppable mass murderer but you are at least theoretically supposed to be one of the good guys. What No Remorse has on it are much larger and more sprawling maps, hilarious 90s jank FMV cutscenes, and the game designers hate you marginally less.

Both are from the era before control schemes were invented so it has like four independent ones that you swap between with CAPS LOCK and NUM LOCK.

I had fun this with because I can appreciate certain kinds of 90s jank, but I don't think there's honestly ever reason to play any of this beyond the first couple levels of No Remorse. Still, I had fun. But I needed something completely different to follow it up.

COMPLETED: Wandersong. I liked this a lot. It manages to be relatively serious about its themes while still having the most incredibly guileless PC ever made. Seriously, I think Princess Peach might be more cynical. But yeah, you're The Fool, in a world that sucks, a lot, and which is about to end, but this is a world where The Fool can win.

COMPLETED: event[0]. Experimental graphic adventure where you spend a lot of time wheedling an chatbot AI to do adventure-game tasks. The loading screen suggests that you'll need to figure out what the AI wants, but it sure looked like it was mostly just clingy and highly susceptible to flattery, which did not result in any really interesting situations.

IN PROGRESS: Dragon Quest VIII. Haven't been playing as much of this because the other three were more compelling at the time, but going to sink some more time into before moving on to something else too. I don't seem to be able to play this in long stretches.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Jordan7hm posted:

Me too!

I never really finish games, especially open world map clearers like this, so it was cool to finally wrap one up.

As for the story, being a cop here bothered me a lot less than it does in Spider-Man, because holy poo poo the cops suck and the fact you move back and forth between being a complete psycho and a swat cop really highlights what they are.

Other than that, the story 100% goes the way you expect it to, but that’s ok. The DLC island is pretty fun too, a quick kung fu movie that pretty spot on to the genre.

Did you play through the separate DLC campaigns as well? I also had fun with those and they're a lot meatier than the Zodiac Tournament.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

FanaticalMilk posted:

Did you play through the separate DLC campaigns as well? I also had fun with those and they're a lot meatier than the Zodiac Tournament.

Nah, and I’m not sure if I will or not. Mentally checking a game off was a big deal, I might just leave the DLC for the next time I think it would be cool to go back to sleeping dogs (in several years).

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
It has been awhile thread.

Nulled: Homeworld remastered
I Have completed all the games in this series multiple times. It is probably one of my favourite games of all time. Yet the remaster is a travesty. They basically jam the Hw1 campaign into a pseudo Hw2 engine and didn't bother to fix it at all. Bugs everywhere, bad ai and changes that honestly make no sense. They even included the stupid scaling system from homeworld 2 early on. Sadly the original does not run well on my current rig due to compatibility issues with graphics and resolution. I suspect I could window it and run an old virtual machine to make it run better but while I love the game I do have other things to play. It's really quite sad considering just how great the game is. I am glad a sequel is in the works at least I am looking forward to that.

Also for those of you who loved the expansion Cataclysm, it can be found on GoG under the name Homeworld Emergence. The reason stated for the name change is that there was a conflict with WoW cataclysm which was surprising to hear (GoG claims the name change is to avoid confusion which sounded incredibly sus). You will need to do a bit of work to get it working properly too.

Next up is Pathfinder Kingmaker the last game on my current list.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Jordan7hm posted:

Nah, and I’m not sure if I will or not. Mentally checking a game off was a big deal, I might just leave the DLC for the next time I think it would be cool to go back to sleeping dogs (in several years).

They were definitely a lot of fun. If it makes you feel any better, they're completely separate and don't pull in save data or anything from the main game. The one conceit is that they definitely start at a difficulty level akin to the end of the mainline game, so if you come back cold it may be rough getting up to speed. Although both DLCs do have short tutorials refreshing some but not all of the mechanics.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Highly recommend the ridiculous Sleeping Dogs Wheels of Fury DLC with the tricked out gadget spy car. It's very dumb, very short and very cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

I finished a long game :siren:

BEAT - Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass
A classig JRPG. A very good classic JRPG. This is on par with many of the SNES-era classics. The characters and plot are fun and the game chugs along at a satisfying pace. The mechanics of the game are strong as well and it does a great job at bringing some variety to the usual JRPG battle systems. Stealing is an important factor in the game, many weapons completely change how the characters work and the character of Jimmy, who has a variety of imagination forms with their own abilities and stat bonuses can be built in a very versatile way. It is also hard and does expect you to learn the gimmicks of the bosses and abuse them. This is also goon made, so you can feel even better about buying it.

PS: JatPM-goon, if you see this and are working on something new, I'd love to hear about it.

COMPLETE - The Room 3
Another great entry in this puzzle series. One of the few games that I think does the "no text / dialogue, figure it out by trying things"-puzzle types well. I think this one had a some more pixel hunting than the others and I was a bit annoyed at having to redo the final puzzle three times to get all the endings, but those are minor complaints.