Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

tesilential posted:

Is there a hunting thread? Been wanting to get into hunting and may try deer and duck this year.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933080

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

prom candy posted:

Good instinct, every kid I've ever fished with has always liked fishing with something you cast, reel in, and repeat. Little mepps agila #2 is a killer for me (I cut one of the hooks off to make releasing waaay easier.)

even as an adult I find bobber fishing a complete snore. If I could sit still I wouldn't need to be fishing in the first place.

Same, though it's productive in a lot of areas around me. I paid the extra 10bux for a second rod stamp and I just bring a second rod, cast it out, and leave it in the lil corkscrew rod holder with a bell on it. I then just run lures and have fun with my good rod, and if something takes whatever I've got on the bobber I deal with that as it happens.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

DeesGrandpa posted:

Same, though it's productive in a lot of areas around me. I paid the extra 10bux for a second rod stamp and I just bring a second rod, cast it out, and leave it in the lil corkscrew rod holder with a bell on it. I then just run lures and have fun with my good rod, and if something takes whatever I've got on the bobber I deal with that as it happens.

This is my preferred method of fishing. I don't use a bell though. Rarely a rod holder - a couple of branches will do. Half the fun is lunging after my rod as it skitters to the water. I like to live dangerously.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Woodpile posted:

This is my preferred method of fishing. I don't use a bell though. Rarely a rod holder - a couple of branches will do. Half the fun is lunging after my rod as it skitters to the water. I like to live dangerously.

You can tell the good catfish spots because of the Y-shaped sticks stuck upright in the riverbank.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Got my first fish from a kayak this morning!

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Yesterday I finally got around to taking my sons back to the farm I was born on in Iowa to do some fishing. Had a GREAT time but I have a question.

Several of the largemouths we caught, where they would typically be white on their stomachs were very yellow. The yellow was dark on the bottom getting lighter as it moved up the body. They were very healthy looking fish. Is this just some kind of normal mutation or a result of their particular environment? I've never seen this before, although it's been close to two decades since I've fished these ponds so maybe I've forgotten. Sorry, no pictures.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Hell yeah.

My buddy is closing on a house in a few days with a garage and a yard, already got a deal made that I can store a yak in his yard (currently in a third floor apartment without outdoor storage so can't store one here). Can't wait to get off the banks.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

nerox posted:

Got my first fish from a kayak this morning!

Nice! Did you love it?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Yesterday I finally got around to taking my sons back to the farm I was born on in Iowa to do some fishing. Had a GREAT time but I have a question.

Several of the largemouths we caught, where they would typically be white on their stomachs were very yellow. The yellow was dark on the bottom getting lighter as it moved up the body. They were very healthy looking fish. Is this just some kind of normal mutation or a result of their particular environment? I've never seen this before, although it's been close to two decades since I've fished these ponds so maybe I've forgotten. Sorry, no pictures.
Likely due to diet. Maybe they only eat crayfish or something?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

They will also adapt over time to their conditions, so it may also be something in the pond triggering it.

nerox
May 20, 2001

prom candy posted:

Nice! Did you love it?

It was fun. I am using my brother in law’s spare kayak. I am a big guy and the kayak didn’t feel super stable, but it’s a cheap sit on top. Going to do it a few more weeks before I buy my own kayak.

I did build a pvc kayak cart today cause his kayak cart was a lovely one that will not attach properly to his and I am dragging it about 300 yards from my garage to the lake across the street from me. Did this design. https://www.rei.com/blog/paddle/diy-kayak-cart

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

prom candy posted:

Got any whopper ploppers?

I've got a hula popper that needs a skirt.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I've been getting bites pretty consistently with my whopper plopper 75. Not as many as my ned rig but it's more fun when they do hit.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I'm finally getting the hang of this fishing thing.

I spent the last few years trying to "learn" the lake that's around the corner from my house. Turns out what I should have learned is that I'm not catching fish I should go elsewhere, since that's worked well.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Very nice fish!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Great photos! What are you shooting with? I've been thinking I'd like a nicer camera for when I'm yakking but obviously the whole body of water thing is a concern

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

It's a Fuji XF10. Not waterproof so it's not a perfect fishing solution but it has an aps-c sensor and a f2.8 lens so it produces much higher quality photos than most pocketable cameras. I keep it in a waterproof zippered pouch when I'm wading or paddling until I am secure enough to take a photo.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Think I'm gonna go small water bass fishing this week. Been super stressful so some nice calm lake water on the yak sounds nice.

Whats not nice is its guaranteed to be 100+ and super humid.

Lake is super shallow, small, and has a lot of docks and lillies. I'm mostly a saltwater guy, so this sound okay to you guys as far as gear I'm bringing?

Frog
Assorted worms/senkos (weightless Texas rig and wacky)
Flukes of multiple colors

Honestly can't think of much else to try out.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Looks perfect to me. :toot:

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

prom candy posted:

I've been getting bites pretty consistently with my whopper plopper 75. Not as many as my ned rig but it's more fun when they do hit.

The top water bite is almost non-existent for me at the moment. What sort of conditions are you throwing that whopper plopper in?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Syano posted:

The top water bite is almost non-existent for me at the moment. What sort of conditions are you throwing that whopper plopper in?

Air temp in the 70s or low 80s, water temp around 75, calm water on a small-ish lake, usually in the morning or evening throwing close to shore over rocks and laydowns. SMB only, no largies.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
That explains it. I am still in the 90s... not sure what the water temp Im sure its hot. We are mostly fishing plastic right now but we did pull in a big boy last week on a jerk bait

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Launched a 5 ounce jig about 100 yds/cast this morning and now my rotator cuff is acting up. Also got skunked, 0/10 bad fishing day

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

charliebravo77 posted:

It's a Fuji XF10. Not waterproof so it's not a perfect fishing solution but it has an aps-c sensor and a f2.8 lens so it produces much higher quality photos than most pocketable cameras. I keep it in a waterproof zippered pouch when I'm wading or paddling until I am secure enough to take a photo.

Wow yeah I googled it and was not expecting a camera that small. Last time I bought a camera was a DSLR I picked up in like 2010 and you definitely couldn't get depth of field like you're getting on a point and shoot back then.

What I really need is just more optical zoom than what I have on my phone. My phone is fine for fish selfies but when I see a cool bird on shore or on the water it's pretty much useless. This is the best pic I was able to get of a cool heron I saw last week

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Time posted:

Launched a 5 ounce jig about 100 yds/cast this morning and now my rotator cuff is acting up.

This happens to me sometimes and it sucks for days. The worst is walking the dog afterwards and he jerks the leash.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Yeah, the XF10 isn't going to help with reach. The Sony Rx100 series has optical zoom and a large (1", but still not not aps-c) sized sensor that gets good reviews. It was a contender with the Fuji but in the end lost to the XF10 because of the bigger sensor and Fuji controls because I'm a bit of a photography nerd.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I should probably just bring my DSLR out sometime since it's just collecting dust anyway

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.

Time posted:

Launched a 5 ounce jig about 100 yds/cast this morning and now my rotator cuff is acting up. Also got skunked, 0/10 bad fishing day

I just got my heavy catfishing rig set up. I was trying to throw 6oz weights plus my bait into a river the other day. I could barely make it 100 feet and my arms are sore.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Got my monsterbass August box in. When the kids let me open it I can show you guys whats in it

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Mukulu posted:

I just got my heavy catfishing rig set up. I was trying to throw 6oz weights plus my bait into a river the other day. I could barely make it 100 feet and my arms are sore.

What kind of rod? I know I do that often with my surf rod but it doesn't take much shoulder pressure since its just a massive lever.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Went up to Texas Plates Creek to fish for cutthroat. If you’re in CO, you owe it to yourself to get up to a high country lake. The colors on the fish are incredible right now.

edit: Terrestrials and small Adams seemed to do the best, though the fish went all Inspector Clouseau this morning and wouldn’t take anything. I could see them grabbing extremely tiny emergers off the surface, but I didn’t have anything smaller than a #20 in my box. Such is life.

Also, I’m not gonna lie. It’s me. I’m the douchebag fly fisher that likes to crush fish in front of dilettantes*. If the bite is off, I’m throwing 50’ A-River-Runs-Through-It double hauls into the middle of nowhere just because it looks cool. (Yes I know my loops are open; shut up)

Also I learned the other day that a Hippie Stomper is basically a foam humpy and I laughed really hard because there really are only three unique flies total

*I will always help people out, tell them what’s working, what’s not, etc. Though in this time of covid I’m less eager to actually give people flies because I’m absolutely not coming within 15 feet of someone.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 11, 2020

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Dangerllama posted:

Went up to Texas Plates Creek to fish for cutthroat. If you’re in CO, you owe it to yourself to get up to a high country lake. The colors on the fish are incredible right now.

Also, I’m not gonna lie. It’s me. I’m the douchebag fly fisher that likes to crush fish in front of dilettantes*. If the bite is off, I’m throwing 50’ A-River-Runs-Through-It double hauls into the middle of nowhere just because it looks cool. (Yes I know my loops are open; shut up)

Also I learned the other day that a Hippie Stomper is basically a foam humpy and I laughed really hard because there really are only three unique flies total

*I will always help people out, tell them what’s working, what’s not, etc. Though in this time of covid I’m less eager to actually give people flies because I’m absolutely not coming within 15 feet of someone.

Beautiful!

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

What kind of rod? I know I do that often with my surf rod but it doesn't take much shoulder pressure since its just a massive lever.

It's actually a surf rod. Ugly Stik Big Water (I think) 10 footer. Not gonna lie, no idea how to use this thing. I've used big old musky rods to cast heavy lures before, but this is different.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

How are you casting with it? A 10ft rod and a big reel is alotta weight to be slinging around with any regularity and can wear you out pretty quick.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

I'm trying to "lob" it out as my buddy described it. Mostly arms.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Mukulu posted:

I'm trying to "lob" it out as my buddy described it. Mostly arms.

https://youtu.be/GTIM-Y3-mYc

Dude is annoying, but his technique starts around 4:10. Thats how I did it for a long time, and still do if I dont have room for a pendulum style cast.

I mean, it sucks casting that much weight over and over no matter what, but doing it incorrectly is definitely worse.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

That video was hilarious. I'm gonna try it casting like that on Thursday. I'm bankfishing for catfish and sturgeon so I just need one solid cast to get it out in the river and let it sit for a while.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Got into fishing a week or so ago and it is quite chill imo. Been using google earth to find some gorgeous spots in my area that I never even knew about. Using a spinning rod and my lucky crankbait.

So far I’m more into rivers but I found a sweet inaccessible pond in a corporate park yesterday where I was pullin largemouths out nonstop.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Dat Bass!

Looks like a nice spot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
nice fish! i don't think i've ever caught anything on a crankbait. seems like a fun way to fish but i'm always hesitant to throw mine because of snags. maybe i should get some cheaper ones.