Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

freemandela posted:

i'd like to extend my sympathy

no one should be exposed to tim pool

unless they have c virus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
My YouTube algo is pretty much just stuff I like but I went on a drunken binge of police impersonators getting arrested and ended up with chuds popping up this week, including a Shapiro video. it’s only a handful I’ve hit Not Interested for, so hopefully that’s the end of it.

I’ve realised there like two things I really enjoy watching police do: Arresting people impersonating police and arresting sovereign citizens. It’s hilarious watching the bullshitter try his best bullshit on and lose, and it’s amazing how many concessions the cops will make when they think it’s a brother officer breaking the law, right up to the moment when they realise he’s not.

freemandela
Apr 18, 2007

brugroffil posted:

It means Maureen Dowd is a very stupid person.

So is nearly every opinion columnist

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/27/opinion/27dowd.html

this is the first maureen dowd article i read. i was completely convinced it was satire until I read her other poo poo

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

It's Palmer Report so it's definitely true in this case, but I always get the sense that libs whose characterization of Arpaio is simply "racist sheriff" don't actually know poo poo about him besides the racial profiling, which is awful but also pretty standard for US law enforcement. I don't think they really know or care about any of the insane fascist poo poo that made him uniquely monstrous(at the time, anyway)

The guy who beat him in the primary is also promising to reopen the "tent city" brutal concentration camp he became famous for

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

happyhippy posted:

Thats because hes does like 3000 videos a day on ANYTHING internet or political related.
Minor e-celeb farted? 10 minute video.
Game company do anything? 10 minute video.
Something go viral? 10 minute video.

Seems to be working, he is raking it in.

This has to be a miserable existence

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

brugroffil posted:

I mean if you could get paid to :justpost:

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

brugroffil posted:

There was a video he did where he pretty much confessed that nobody checks his original content and he's only doing it because it makes money.

He left Twitter saying it was too nasty but I think it was because he was getting so well known that more people have been noticing that he had been annoying the likes of celebrities and hobby communities. So they did up dirt on him, find his more vile comments and the people he buddies with (surprise, alt-righters) and he quit before Twitter could find a way to drop a hammer on him and risk his grift cruise from being deplatformed.

He's slowly holing himself off and that's either going to burn him out or have his audience turn on him when he says the wrong take.

freemandela
Apr 18, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

NYT editorial board makes fools of us all

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Alan Smithee posted:

This is already 50%+ of my office job

But just having to create content constantly, ugh

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’d like to point out that when the architect of the YouTube algorithm realized that it was learning to promote racist (and at times, pedofilic) content at extremely disproportionate levels because of the way racists and perverts engage with content, they brought it to their department’s attention. They were “let go” and served with a NDA that it took them literally years to break. YouTube is basically as bad as Facebook.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

brugroffil posted:

The guy who beat him in the primary is also promising to reopen the "tent city" brutal concentration camp he became famous for

Of course. It's not like the ancient mutants who loved Arpaio's crimes in the first place went anywhere. In the same way he was basically a proto-Trump, I'd expect his successor will be a preview of Trump's successor. Brutal and ostentatiously cruel, but without the cartoon baggage of things like "drove around in a tank with his name on it" and "faked his own assassination plot for publicity"

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/ConceptualJames/status/1291886550259838976

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Is anyone trolling with

:actually: have you been there yourself?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

i've lost track, what point was this debate lord trying to make led to arguing that the moon exists?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Very not-owned handle there James.

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

i've lost track, what point was this debate lord trying to make led to arguing that the moon exists?

He made a bad tweet about math and got owned over it. As with turning down a debate invite he's taking it well.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

No, I've seen FOX news cover the moon. Stop spreading Republican talking points!

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Conceptual James

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/TheRickyDavila/status/1292141195947196416?s=20

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Have people not heard of publicity stunts? Or did they just forget about them because so much bizarre poo poo has happened this year?

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

Shageletic posted:

Lol Fallwell is taking a leave of absence

Owned

I haven't been paying attention, did he get accused of rape or something?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

I haven't been paying attention, did he get accused of rape or something?

He drunkposted on Instagram with a lady who was not his wife. Also their pants were unzipped I think.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
https://mobile.twitter.com/BretWeinstein/status/1291770094641504256
another idw deep thought

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Pththya-lyi posted:

Have people not heard of publicity stunts? Or did they just forget about them because so much bizarre poo poo has happened this year?

well the last time a celebrity ran for president it went really bad for everyone but them

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Flesh Forge posted:

it doesn't matter if you liked it, it matters that you made the numbers on it go up. every activity other than downvoting it and flagging the channel "don't recommend this" makes its engagement numbers go up, including passively letting it run, but more weight is given to things like expanding the viewer or watching it full screen, and watching the entire thing. commenting is probably scored very high even if your comment is actually "wow this poo poo sucks and you should get cancer and die". Youtube doesn't publish the exact mechanics but you can make some educated guesses as to the really obvious stuff like this.

I'm pretty sure that even downvoting a video still counts as "engaging" in it, so even if (and that a big if) that category is recommended less to you, it's promoted more to others.

E:FB

Viscous Soda has issued a correction as of 00:42 on Aug 9, 2020

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
https://mobile.twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/1291937746018336768

:lol:

THE SOLUTION
#Unity2020

What is It?

We the people draft two candidates: one from the center-left, one from the center-right.

Once elected, they agree to govern as a team. All decisions and appointments will be made jointly in the interests of the American public. Only when they cannot reach agreement, or when a decision does not allow for consultation, does the President decide independently. A coin flip determines which candidate runs at the top of the ticket.

The Candidates

The ideal candidates will fulfill three criteria

They must be patriotic
They must be highly capable
They must be courageous
After four years in office, the order reverses for the next election. This continues until the American public chooses an alternative administration or one of the members of the team cannot run for re-election, at which point a new patriot would replace them.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Predicting it's still gonna happen is dumb but the second paragraph is the most reality-adjacent take I've seen from a Weinstein bro, low bar to clear though that is. The Cuomo trial-ballooning this spring wasn't subtle

e: lol did not see his galaxybrain solution to it though

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
I pretty much only watch breadtube and people getting really excited about filmmaking, but I've apparently trained the algorithm out of recommending anything but Jim Sterling, more Lindsay Ellis, the one Shaun video I never finished, and Amanda the Jedi. My algorithm is strong.

content: very little gives me more joy than how excited/frustrated Cody Johnston gets about his destiny of dunking on Ben Shapiro for hours on end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyNVIUpGTWM

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lmao yes this is what's happening and not the opposite.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Viscous Soda posted:

I'm pretty sure that even downvoting a video still counts as "engaging" in it, so even if (and that a big if) that category is recommended less to you, it's promoted more to others.

E:FB

yeah I agree this is probably true, it's a trap for dummies like me that can't help it :kiddo:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Groovelord Neato posted:

i mean the average chud is gonna watch that, half remember it, and when the elections end up being a total shitshow, they’re gonna blame it on the democraps

although i gotta say that video is pretty redundant since the right blames the liberals for everything that goes wrong anyways; at least educate your audience about all the bad stuff the democrats actually do

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Shapiro's stance on racism is even dumber than I thought. I figured he denied systemic racism because he'd do that stupid poo poo about how it's all individual outcomes and equality of opportunity. Instead he straight up doesn't understand what "racism" is.

edit: lmao Rogan being the voice of reason.

Groovelord Neato has issued a correction as of 02:22 on Aug 9, 2020

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

LOL, I still remember when a 'friend' tried to hold Pool up as "A journalist who doesn't have an agenda."

I can't be sure, but I think the fact I laughed so hard I farted is why they gave up and just stopped talking to me.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cthulu Carl posted:

LOL, I still remember when a 'friend' tried to hold Pool up as "A journalist who doesn't have an agenda."

I can't be sure, but I think the fact I laughed so hard I farted is why they gave up and just stopped talking to me.

A part of me wanted to watch it but I knew my brain would collapse upon hearing Tim's argument.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

oh thsi is where the youtube reactionary thread went after it was closed in d&d years ago

what's this about conceptualjames arguing about a math problem?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
ONE JOKE

https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1292262007329226754

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Doctor Teeth posted:

oh thsi is where the youtube reactionary thread went after it was closed in d&d years ago

what's this about conceptualjames arguing about a math problem?

a black mathematician said something like "if someone tells you 2 + 2 = 5, don't just dismiss them out of hand, ask them what their axioms and assumptions are" and James and his followers have spent every waking minute since freaking out about how leftist feminist of color want to force you to believe that 2 + 2 = 5 and how it's an Orwellian plot to ruin math, because they're stuck on the idea that the guy was literally talking about the problem "2 + 2" and not just using it as a facile example of something that looks wrong at first glance

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

these people need to smoke a seed blunt, imo

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/classiclib3ral/status/1292216822398410752

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
cool, they've all become Kierkegaard's madman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Predicting it's still gonna happen is dumb but the second paragraph is the most reality-adjacent take I've seen from a Weinstein bro, low bar to clear though that is. The Cuomo trial-ballooning this spring wasn't subtle

e: lol did not see his galaxybrain solution to it though

he's very upset that centrist dems colluded to sideline bernie, the correct solution is to do the exact same thing but also let mitt romney call half the shots