Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That whole thing is gorgeous, but I really like the small detail that is the red tips on some of the bullets there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

jesus WEP posted:

Some painters are so far beyond the skill level I have or will likely ever have that their channels are just nice to watch to see a really excellent mini come together. Marco’s got that energy for me

I've never watched any of Marcos videos, this isnt a comment on him specifically, but there are a fair few painting videos I've watched where they advertise "Painting X made easy!" (Faces, banners, whatever) and then I watch it and go "Oh, so the one simple trick to make this look amazing is to have a level of skill and eye for colour that I will never be able to match, you just think its simple because you are really really good...". I still appreciate the amazing paint job they are doing, but their assumed starting point for their audience is so much higher than my actual level. Being good at something and being able to teach that thing are two different skills.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sab669 posted:

That whole thing is gorgeous, but I really like the small detail that is the red tips on some of the bullets there

I *think* this is related to the ratio of tracer to regular bullets in machine guns or something?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I didn't put a lot of effort into the model because it was mostly a test for the color scheme but this is the first time I've ever put any real effort into making a cool base before and I'm really pleased with the result:

(also my first try at free-handing writing and didn't manage to center it well)

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

a7m2 posted:

I didn't put a lot of effort into the model because it was mostly a test for the color scheme but this is the first time I've ever put any real effort into making a cool base before and I'm really pleased with the result:

(also my first try at free-handing writing and didn't manage to center it well)

It seriously looks like IRL lichen growing over rock, :nice:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

SiKboy posted:

I've never watched any of Marcos videos, this isnt a comment on him specifically, but there are a fair few painting videos I've watched where they advertise "Painting X made easy!" (Faces, banners, whatever) and then I watch it and go "Oh, so the one simple trick to make this look amazing is to have a level of skill and eye for colour that I will never be able to match, you just think its simple because you are really really good...". I still appreciate the amazing paint job they are doing, but their assumed starting point for their audience is so much higher than my actual level. Being good at something and being able to teach that thing are two different skills.
Simply use your 25 years of muscle memory to brush on a perfectly straight edge highlight

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
One thing that BVMTH has taught me is that people fail constantly. It's just that we tell kids to keep trying to crawl/stand/walk/throw a ball/ride a bike and most grown-ups don't have a positive reinforcement loop like that in their lives?

Like, neuroplasticity is a thing and an adult won't ever learn as easily as an literal childe but the basis of skill is repetition.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Anything one should know when painting when it's hot ? I am in an insane heatwave at the moment and have moved all my paints and brushes away from the windows but still want to get some painting done. Guess paint dries faster and lumps quicker and priming is weird?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

MRLOLAST posted:

Anything one should know when painting when it's hot ? I am in an insane heatwave at the moment and have moved all my paints and brushes away from the windows but still want to get some painting done. Guess paint dries faster and lumps quicker and priming is weird?

Humidity is the big one for spray cans. Otherwise yeah, just stuff drying faster. You'll get dry tip on an airbrush faster.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Your superglue might behave strange in high humidity, and model cement is probably going to evaporate faster in higher temperatures.

Be sure you've got adequate ventilation, as always.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Yeah I was once in vacation in Turkey and a car window exploded like a bomb when I walked past it. Turned out some idiot had left a spray can in it. Scared the poo poo out of me and shovered me in glas. So now I am extra careful about using spray cans when it's hot.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

MRLOLAST posted:

Yeah I was once in vacation in Turkey and a car window exploded like a bomb when I walked past it. Turned out some idiot had left a spray can in it. Scared the poo poo out of me and shovered me in glas. So now I am extra careful about using spray cans when it's hot.

The next day Erdogan locked down the province and executed 500 Kurds.

:ohdear:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 7, 2020

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

The next day the Erdogan locked down the province and executed 500 Kurds.

:ohdear:

This was so long ago that it could have been pre-Erdogan and Armenians getting executed. Still haven't been back. Still with half my neighbors being Turkish and it being freakishly hot I don't need to.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Box arrived today. Really excited to start doing my first ever figures tomorrow cos on late shifts today :negative:

Comes with 13 paints which imo is probably the cheap set way of getting paints lol

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Has anyone ever done 28mm(...ish) Mongol Dwarves? Spess Mehreens leave me kinda :flaccid: but I like the idea of White Scar-ish Squat Bikers? Sort of a steampunk/mongol look?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

What cork do people recommend for making rocks for bases? Any Amazon links would be greatly appreciated!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Whatever's cheapest and in stock :v: Cork is cork. The thinner the better, so you can layer it as desired.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I just the IKEA Susig desk pads, I haven't even gone halfway through the first sheet at this point.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Sab669 posted:

Whatever's cheapest and in stock :v: Cork is cork. The thinner the better, so you can layer it as desired.

Yeah Cork is pretty much Cork, and the smallest packages will give you enough for a lifetime.
Just don't get something with adhesive backing on it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cooked Auto posted:

I just the IKEA Susig desk pads, I haven't even gone halfway through the first sheet at this point.

Heads up, shipping from Ikea is hella lame right now where it's taking like 2 months just to get items to leave a warehouse.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am having a really great time using Gamers Grass (MORE LIKE GAMERS rear end AM I RIGHT?) but ordering it from their official website takes a couple months because it comes from overseas. Does anyone know of a online retailer, or another alternative brand that is sold in the U.S. at online sites?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Cork sheets tend to make for a cool broken concrete look, but for natural stone look into pine bark mulch.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I said come in! posted:

I am having a really great time using Gamers Grass (MORE LIKE GAMERS rear end AM I RIGHT?) but ordering it from their official website takes a couple months because it comes from overseas. Does anyone know of a online retailer, or another alternative brand that is sold in the U.S. at online sites?

poo poo, just pop on down to your local hobby shop, you should be able to find patches of static grass and other foliage in the model train section.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Noble Knight Games carries it. https://www.nobleknight.com/Products/Gamers-Grass

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Marco Frisoni is the man. I’ve certainly incorporated more inks my painting because of his videos

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Verisimilidude posted:

What cork do people recommend for making rocks for bases? Any Amazon links would be greatly appreciated!

I just bought this, works great and the price is right.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Is it weird that I've been using real stones on some of my fancy models instead of cork? There is something neat about finding a good stone to glue a model to.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Werix posted:

Is it weird that I've been using real stones on some of my fancy models instead of cork? There is something neat about finding a good stone to glue a model to.

I've been doing the same but for decoration. If a rock looks good as is, why bother painting it? It seems like a lazy cop-out but it's really a "less is more" attitude where I try not to overthink things right now until I get better at painting.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Aug 8, 2020

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Spanish Manlove posted:

I've been doing the same but for decoration. If a rock looks good as is, why bother painting it? It seems like a lazy cop-out but it's really a "less is more" attitude where I try not to overthink things right now until I get better at painting.

My only worry about rocks on models is that the extra weight can make an accidental drop pretty disasterous...

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Werix posted:

Not really, using slate and such is a totally valid thing to do for base decoration. I used pieces of glass I found at the beach for some of my bases.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Werix posted:

I almost always use real stones. Cork is fine, and super handy when you want the model to be standing on it (as you can drill through it to pin the model), but I'm basing across a wide variety of base settings, some desert, some swamplands, some wasteland, some grassy field, and to me it would look weird if all those biomes had the exact same rock structures. As I say cork definitely has its uses (I've co-incidentally just ordered a pack of cork coasters for basing having painted up some ebay rescues which were already based on cork) but it has a pretty distinctive look. So my wasteland bases have smashed up slate painted grey with a black wash, my bayou bases have little stones from my garden painted mainly tan with some grey and an agrax earthshade wash, my desert bases have stones left over from when I had the roughcasting on the house redone painted an orange-ish brown (was going for a nevada desert look) my grassy bases... Actually most of them are graveyard themed so I didnt go overboard with the stones. But they are ones from the garden again, but generally painted a little lighter than the bayou base stones.

Plus its just kind of satisfying to prise a stone out the tread of your shoe and go "Huh, that is the perfect stone for this base...". While cork is cheap, free is my favourite price for basing materials.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Honest answer to your rhetorical question: Rocks are different colours and I want my bases to have visual cohesion between models, so painting the rocks across a crew with a similar palette helps sell that they are all in the same place, and a wash simulates shadows in the recesses, selling the illusion that its a big rock scaled down rather than just the small stone it actually is. And conversely the leftover stones from the roughcasting of my house are all the *exact* same colour, just off white, and that looks weird on a base, so painting them gives them some visual difference from each other (even though they all use the same 3 colours).

If you have rocks that look good unpainted (or just dont want to paint them) fair enough, you dont have to. But if you want to its the simplest thing. Pick a colour that some rocks are in real life, paint them that colour, do a heavy drybrush with a lighter version of that colour, then a light drybrush with a very light tan/ivory/grey (whichever you like and think looks good with your base coat). Once it dries, give them a black or dark brown wash. No actual skill involved.

w00tmonger posted:

My only worry about rocks on models is that the extra weight can make an accidental drop pretty disasterous...

If its a big rock the model is standing on, thats fair. Especially as you cannot (easily) pin models to real rock so you are relying on superglue. But if its a couple of small rocks on the base its not a big concern. And I've occasionally used a bunch of rocks on a base to deliberately lower the centre of balance of a model which was too top heavy (tall with big wings and spindly legs) hopefully making an accidental drop less likely!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So the Patriot 105 arrived yesterday, along with the primer. I've also received this airhose, an airbrush cleaning pot, and Vallejo Airbrush Thinner. I'm still waiting on the Vallejo Airbrush Flow Improver to arrive.

I still need to order airbrush cleaner (looking at the Iwata brand), but I thought I'd ask if there's anything else I should look to purchase.

One thing I heard about was Regdab Airbrush Lubricant, but I don't know how crucial it is to have that. I don't have any air paints, but then from what I remember, air paints are just pre-thinned, and I can use my existing paints with the thinner.

As far as a compressor goes, what I thought to do was try modifying the pancake compressor we have now per this guide I found on Youtube. I don't know how effectively it will work, or if I should even bother, but I thought it would be worth trying before buying another compressor.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Yeah, I've actually done both things on bases, have stone on the base, and have a model glued on one.

This image shows it well the scarab occult sorcerer is on a stone, and you can see a real stone used for decoration on the terminator on the left. So far he's the only model I've put on a stone, but I also plan to do it on an exalted sorcerer here soon too.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
more marble: the hero quest tomb

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Your work is absolutely gorgeous

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

The best thing about hero quest is painting hero quest!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That is the finest marble in ALL THE LAND.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Ever since you made the post explaining your methods it feels like I can now see the matrix in your linework of building up colors, but that just makes everything that much more impressive since it shows how much effort and skill you put into these guys. I actually love the stark shift in colors as it looks way more cartoonish and cel-shaded compared to the nice, even color gradients often used in mini painting.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Spanish Manlove posted:

Ever since you made the post explaining your methods it feels like I can now see the matrix in your linework of building up colors, but that just makes everything that much more impressive since it shows how much effort and skill you put into these guys. I actually love the stark shift in colors as it looks way more cartoonish and cel-shaded compared to the nice, even color gradients often used in mini painting.

thanks for the kind words!

Heroic 28mm minis have ridiculous proportions so i think cartoony paint jobs lean into that.

also i can't take anything minis related too seriously anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Anyone know how to achieve something like the droopy plague batter around the guns, or even on the spikey carapace on the back?

I tried to green stuff some plaguey goopy build up but I'm not happy with it at all: