Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Sometimes you go for a soldier bomb on a group of people, juggle the medic and do a bunch of splash damage with your first rocket, then nail the airshot with your second one to secure the kill before dying to the three other people around you, and it feels awesome.

Sometimes you go for a soldier bomb, your first rocket is a random crit and everyone dies, and it feels way less awesome even though it was an objectively better outcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Crits are great. When a crit kills me I don't even have to feel bad, it was just a crit! Not like regular kills at all where I have to re-analyze every poor decision that led to my downfall!

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 27, 2021

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
It's a part of the game, you see that crit rocket or sticky headed your way and you have to shrug and say, "Guess I'll die now."

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

harrygomm posted:

i dont like sitting out for 12-30 seconds because, despite good positioning and health and lack of skill of the opponent, i die

Respawn times really should not be more than 10 seconds

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 27, 2021

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

Respawn times really should not be more than 10 seconds

That would make a lot of maps miserable. I think random crits on melee is ok, but I’d prefer a modern solution of melee hit/hurt boxes instead of the extremely finicky hitscan check.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Stalemates are broken by ubers and good team play. If you want kritz ask your med. It always feels cheap to me to get a random crit kill.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Uncle Dane already answered the debate of critz v nocritz 2 years ago.

https://youtu.be/WHvwijT2ss8

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

That would make a lot of maps miserable. I think random crits on melee is ok, but I’d prefer a modern solution of melee hit/hurt boxes instead of the extremely finicky hitscan check.

I used to play on a community server with 32player nocrit fast respawn and it's grindy by the standards of stock, but not as bad as you might think. The killcam adds a minimum 5 second wait that can't be skipped, and on higher player count servers you tend to get caught waiting for a second wave.

It also changes the way people play, it tends to lead to players running multiple-medic teams in order to push through, and lots of damage classes, so lots of medic+demo/solder/heavy. If you want to win that is. And controlling spawn doors becomes important as well.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I’m back to playing only community servers. Uncletopia is pretty good if your in the US or EU, it’s ran by YouTube engineer main Uncle Dane. Stock maps with no crits, random spread, or random damage.

I’ve been playing on the Uncletopia Frankfurt server a lot, and by a lot I mean I haven’t touched casual in weeks. :p It’s been nice to have that old community server feeling again. Recognising regulars, learning who the good players are, actual communication etc. The only downside is the fairly limited map pool that includes stinkers like Goldrush, but even then they’re not as bad as they’d be in casual.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Grapplejack posted:

Nocrits is good

As someone who is good murdering someone with a crit is cool but its also not great since I didn't do anything to earn that kill, like the sick fuckin airshot I got the other day

I mean if you miss your target with a scattergun shot but one pellet grazes an enemy at the other end of the map that happened to have 1hp you get that kill too and didn't do anything. Launching a surprise crocket at the cart is still "doing something."

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Baron von Eevl posted:

I mean if you miss your target with a scattergun shot but one pellet grazes an enemy at the other end of the map that happened to have 1hp you get that kill too and didn't do anything. Launching a surprise crocket at the cart is still "doing something."

Do you genuinely think these scenarios are comparable?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
No of course not, nailing someone in combat with a random crit is way more earned than grazing someone who is almost dead across the map.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I don't know, I see people retreating towards medkit locations I generally plink them with the shotgun because odds are they're low on health. If I noticed it accidentally happening I might make note of it and see that there's a correlation between HP levels willingness to be close to the enemy.

If you divebomb the cart alone and blow up 4 people with a crit rocket, you learned that sometimes luck will carry weight for you over-committing.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Can we at least agree that taunting should be forced after a random crit kill?

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I like random crits myself, but I can totally understand why people dislike them. My one issue with removing them however is that whole "no random crit" downside some weapons have. It's not much but I still feel the frontier justice must be pretty broken on a non crit server.

Which makes interesting to me that Uncle Dane, a career engineer, would be all for no random crits. :smugbert:

edit: I didn't even think of the diamond back. though I don't think I've ever seen a spy use it for some reason..

QwertySanchez fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 30, 2020

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
remove the Frontier Justice at the same time, problem solved

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Eh, I don't think it's a huge downside as it is. The real downside is the reduced clip size. Demoknight swords are also mostly free of random crits, along with all sniper primaries, the backburner, the list goes on.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Random melee crits suck, but that's as far as I'll go. I like a little calvinball in my goofy shooter.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Thanks for the heads up on the uncletopia server, it seems like a decent shot

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

JustaDamnFool posted:

Thanks for the heads up on the uncletopia server, it seems like a decent shot

No problem. There are a few decent servers out there, most are tied to a Youtuber, but the also are usually either barren or full. UncleTopia is the only one I’ve had a decent time on, but I know Lazypurple and Zesty Jesus have their own servers as well if you’re in North America.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I don't mind random crits, but then I mainly play Medic, so getting crits with the Ubersaw or the Crusader's Crossbow helps out in situations where the Medic might not normally survive. Regardless, you could probably strip them out, and it might help the game.

Of course, there's still weapons that crit under special circumstances, like the Axtinguisher or Market Gardener. The latter is one that can be especially deadly if you master rocket jumping (which I can't)

Baron von Eevl posted:

I actually unloaded my unusual a while back because I realized I hated it and by having this expensive hat I was wanting to show it off to the point that I would never wear anything else, and the dress up part of the game fell by the wayside. I have more fun having a bunch of seasonal outfits for each class and rotating them.

Quoting this again, because while I'd still like to get an Unusual somehow, it did occur to me that I'd also like having a bunch of different cosmetics to play around with. Refined Metal is like 4¢ on Marketplace.TF, so you could buy a bunch of that for cheap and see what you get from crafting.

-

Speaking of servers, I found a guide by Aar on how you can set up your own TF2 server using a Virtual Private Server (VPS). 90% of the steps go over my head, but I thought I'd post for someone who understands programming/networking stuff and wanted to do something like that.

I wish you could complete Contracts on private servers.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 31, 2020

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Max Wilco posted:

Quoting this again, because while I'd still like to get an Unusual somehow, it did occur to me that I'd also like having a bunch of different cosmetics to play around with. Refined Metal is like 4¢ on Marketplace.TF, so you could buy a bunch of that for cheap and see what you get from crafting.

The guys that run Marketplace also run https://www.scrap.tf - trade refined for hats directly. Mashing 3ref together to craft a hat worth barely over 1ref makes me sad.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

lol man uncletopia has a bunch of rules but the wrangler is still allowed

if you're gonna do nocrits nospread class limits at least disable the worst weapon you cheap engineer gently caress

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Never trust an "engineer main".

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
The wrangler is great.

for sniper mains :smug:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Yeah it's great when some overconfident Wrangler Engineer gets sniped by me

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vzfeyh-ow8

Just the medic left now.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Medic needs to be people just raging about you dropping Uber because they left you to die.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Also having no one to heal or especially kritz because you refuse to heal anyone using a meme loadout or holding their melee weapon out.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Wow picky, my only rule for not healing people is "no spies or snipers if we have more than 2 of either"

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I had someone kritz me while I was running the cow mangler the other day. I just stopped and looked at them.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

Abyssal Squid posted:

Wow picky, my only rule for not healing people is "no spies or snipers if we have more than 2 of either"

I put in my time as medic. If I'm playing it today it's because we need one which we otherwise don't have or is ineffectual. If I'm going to play the support role I'm going to heal those who are also playing a role-based team shooter for the team and not purely themselves.

Sounds like you follow the same mindset just not drawn out to the same logical conclusion. If there's no one else around I'll heal the memers to build uber, but if they're standing around calling for a beam or arrow I'll stare at them and say "I don't heal meme loadouts" in voice and keep my beam on literally anyone else, even those with 142.5%+ health already. It's not like I call for a votekick, but if they're going to play only for themselves, they can play by themselves and don't need or should expect help from a medic or any other support class.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I had someone kritz me while I was running the cow mangler the other day. I just stopped and looked at them.

Post-Jungle Inferno this isn't completely useless. You're still getting 122-151 rockets from it and it builds fast enough, especially in casual, to be used liberally. But yeah, if anyone else is around they should have gotten it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Girbot posted:

Post-Jungle Inferno this isn't completely useless. You're still getting 122-151 rockets from it and it builds fast enough, especially in casual, to be used liberally. But yeah, if anyone else is around they should have gotten it.

I actually had no idea it did that, I've never noticed the minicrit alert when kritzed or in humiliation. Wonder if it's broken.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Girbot posted:

I put in my time as medic. If I'm playing it today it's because we need one which we otherwise don't have or is ineffectual. If I'm going to play the support role I'm going to heal those who are also playing a role-based team shooter for the team and not purely themselves.

Sounds like you follow the same mindset just not drawn out to the same logical conclusion. If there's no one else around I'll heal the memers to build uber, but if they're standing around calling for a beam or arrow I'll stare at them and say "I don't heal meme loadouts" in voice and keep my beam on literally anyone else, even those with 142.5%+ health already. It's not like I call for a votekick, but if they're going to play only for themselves, they can play by themselves and don't need or should expect help from a medic or any other support class.

:siren:Fun Police Spotted:siren:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I’m back to playing only community servers. Uncletopia is pretty good if your in the US or EU, it’s ran by YouTube engineer main Uncle Dane. Stock maps with no crits, random spread, or random damage.

Uncle Dane is col but even his servers are a salt mine, So yeah less of the sexism and racism but even that isn't drama free.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I feel like any semi competitive community server is going to have ragers. A lot of people are immature and get upset over the drop of a hate. Uncletopia at least kicks people who say slurs, but I’m not expecting not to be told I’m bad or a try hard if I kill someone. It’s not perfect for sure, but I’m not expecting perfect from people either, just not absolute cesspools.

Even on “fun haver” servers I’ll have people toss out slurs for market gardening them or any gimmick kill. I was called a homophobic slur last night when playing gun spy for shooting a gunslinger engineer who built in the same place over and over.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
revel in it. enjoy how mad you just made that guy.

alternatively mute him. it doesnt solve the root cause of racism and or homophobia but it means you wont get to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Ariong posted:

:siren:Fun Police Spotted:siren:
I don't go that far but the only reason most people go medic in the first place is to get poo poo done and that rocket jumper soldier isn't gonna bust the sentry nest so I understand the feeling