Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i've been watching 2000s anime nonstop and the bd subs for pani poni dash have an option for reference notes

that option makes the show unwatchable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The only time I can remember reference notes being good were the fan subs for High Score Girl.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
Inuyasha's character banter stuff was fun but the fights were dire and it spent a lot of time on them. I couldn't get through it.

"I will defeat Inuyasha with this army of 1000 demons!" [pan across still frame of Inuyasha slashing through all of them at once] [every other character announces to the camera what we just saw]

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Tales of Woe posted:

anime originals aren't usually that popular with the seasonal zeitgeist audience who do all those ranking and rating sites. takes longer for them to build a reputation

Yeah but in Rent-a-Girlfriend's case we're talking #3 or #4.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Yeah but in Rent-a-Girlfriend's case we're talking #3 or #4.

That's not an anime original. It's based on a manga that a lot of people have already read, and therefore it's a known quantity.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

esselfortium posted:

Inuyasha's character banter stuff was fun but the fights were dire and it spent a lot of time on them. I couldn't get through it.

"I will defeat Inuyasha with this army of 1000 demons!" [pan across still frame of Inuyasha slashing through all of them at once] [every other character announces to the camera what we just saw]

Yeah, the banter and character moments are definitely the best parts

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Miroku, watch out for Naraku's Poisonous insects! You can't use your windtunnel! - Sango or Kagome, every single episode.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

*Miroku uses Void*
*special bees fly into the Void*
"OWIE!!"

:psyduck:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Willo567 posted:

yeah, i don't think inuyasha is meant to be binged watch all at once. unlike most other shonen like dragon ball or one piece, there aren't any major arcs, and it's mostly monster of the week episodes like a mecha anime.

i still liked it, but i can see why people wouldn't. at least it didn't insult my intelligence like naruto did later on

Did Inuyasha stay monster of the week for most of its run? I liked the early parts of the manga when they were facing weird unsettling monsters of the week, because Takahashi has some roots in horror, but I got the impression that both the anime and manga got very shonen fighty and Naraku-focused later on.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Argue posted:

Did Inuyasha stay monster of the week for most of its run? I liked the early parts of the manga when they were facing weird unsettling monsters of the week, because Takahashi has some roots in horror, but I got the impression that both the anime and manga got very shonen fighty and Naraku-focused later on.

it starts off monster of the week, then naraku gets introduced, and it's mostly about chasing him. there's still monster of the week stories, but it becomes more focused on naraku and his detachments.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

About once a season, I'll pick something that sounds generic or bad, go "this sounds dumb" and give it a shot. This time I settled on Rental Girlfriend, which... I was absolutely not expecting to like anywhere near this much.

I know people hate Kazuya for being spineless and ending up inconveniencing Chizuru through it, but I'm not really a guy who ends up hating characters for making bad decisions or being bad people. Like, yeah, I'll hoot and holler when the good guy punches the bad guy in the face, but that doesn't really extend into antipathy toward characters themselves... unless that character to me comes to represent some flaw in the writing overall, like they're associated with a bad plotline or their personality is lame or something along those lines.

I bring this up because I feel like the writing of Kazuya is actually an extremely on-point portrayal of a kind of person who absolutely exists, a kind of person I see too much of myself in honestly. In between the copious jokes about onanism there's actually a really sad portrait of a guy with rather severe social issues who is desperate for external validation. He doesn't need a rear end-kicking (though when his friend stepped in it was pretty great), he needs loving therapy. I honestly think he's a good character because I always get why he's doing what he's doing even when it's so blatantly the wrong thing.

I don't even really hate Mami either. Earlier it seemed like she was just some absurdly cruel, vindictive harpy but at some point I can't identify her bullshit started to feel more sad than anything else, and it makes me think that there must be more to her than I thought.

This ended up being longer than I intended it to but in summary, it's a weirdly compelling show even as it leans into the cliches of its genre all the loving way.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Miroku, watch out for Naraku's Poisonous insects! You can't use your windtunnel! - Sango or Kagome, every single episode.

It's kind of hard to write around a story breaker power. Though I did find it amusing when one of the big villains was anti climatically defeated when Naraku just had the insects ditch him, so there was nothing stopping Miroku from just sucking him up.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

https://twitter.com/ActAgeManga/status/1291997915955814401

pedo

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/caswc/status/1292022269431037952?s=21

Eeesh.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/wsj_manga/status/1292024187121307648?s=21

https://twitter.com/hmichnabil/status/1292027804851339265?s=21

bleak lol

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I feel bad for the artist, she did a good job.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And Act-Age has been running for barely two years, so he's not even gonna have the tenure that Watsuki had.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress him. What an absolute waste of a person.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

very well, i will respect your request. it's only fair, I did ask for more bleach and got it.

i hope you enjoy reliving 2002 as much as I will!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
To wash the taste of piss out of everyone's mouth, how about some good news instead? (It hasn't been officially announced yet though, but has been teased by the mangaka)

https://twitter.com/AIR_News01/status/1292096810282921986?s=19

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

not a big fan of that series but still really good to have new kyoani stuff on the horizon

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
30 sec trailer for live action The Promised Neverland https://twitter.com/yakuneba_staff/status/1291177184212791297?s=19

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Julias posted:

To wash the taste of piss out of everyone's mouth, how about some good news instead? (It hasn't been officially announced yet though, but has been teased by the mangaka)

:gbsmith:

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Julias posted:

30 sec trailer for live action The Promised Neverland https://twitter.com/yakuneba_staff/status/1291177184212791297?s=19

how was the series after the first arc where they escape

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Willo567 posted:

how was the series after the first arc where they escape

Very different. No more mindgames and a lot more action.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

sounds like a major downgrade

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Arist posted:

This ended up being longer than I intended it to but in summary, it's a weirdly compelling show even as it leans into the cliches of its genre all the loving way.
I really hope something changes it up soon because Mami and the protag are such dipshits that I just get depressed watching the show. Toxic as gently caress.

But man, yeah, does it remind me of exactly the kind of depressed fuckup excuse bag that I was following a breakup.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Julias posted:

Not to be a downer but I'm quite concerned about another character that they might be adding if they do another season of the series. They excluded her from the first season even though she probably would have been introduced already. But it was a good call in excluding her.

I don't know how you get away with excluding this character for an entire another season however since she is more intertwined and the other character stories.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the ova had the entire love potion chocolate valentines scene they're already past the point where iruru would possibly even be the weirdest thing, the only reason she wasn't introduced is likely because it would've been awkward pacing to do at the end of the season

it's totally pointless to single out one character when that kind of material is present throughout the entire work

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'm pretty sure I've seen her on the cover of the Elma spinoff and her design seems inoffensive on paper. Manga seems to play it pervy because that's how the author rolls, but the way I remember the anime handling visuals I feel like she'd just come across like a draph.

Motto fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 9, 2020

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Honestly my bigger concerns are that 1.) the show's lost an immensely talented director that I would expect even KyoAni to struggle to replace and 2.) I don't think Maidragon ever really needed a sequel to begin with. There's some solid stuff in the later manga chapters but nothing I'd expect to match or really add anything terribly substantial to the best parts of S1. Certainly nothing that really offsets the frustration of sitting through Kyou's grosser tastes, IMO.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Much moreso than Iruru Season 2's going to struggle with their being some really awful chapters coming up, worse than the Love Potion scene.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

Not to be a downer but I'm quite concerned about another character that they might be adding if they do another season of the series. They excluded her from the first season even though she probably would have been introduced already. But it was a good call in excluding her.

I don't know how you get away with excluding this character for an entire another season however since she is more intertwined and the other character stories.
drat. i cant believe this show where a recurring gag is a grown woman molesting a 10 year old boy might have a short girl with big tits in it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

*tugging collar* ugh, gotta say folks, i was enjoying bible black up until one of the domme ladies called a boy 'gay' as an insult. that seems extremely problematic.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Endorph posted:

drat. i cant believe this show where a recurring gag is a grown woman molesting a 10 year old boy might have a short girl with big tits in it.

And where another recurring gag is a child being extremely horny for another child

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also lol at the idea of iruru' design being so horrible that we have to speak about her in whispers

here she is.

heres fanart of her in the animes style

like shes basically uzaki. im sure cool says some weird poo poo about her/does weird poo poo with her but thats a symptom not the cause. the cause is cool being a pedophile. the thing you like is by a pedophile. cool is a pedo guy. dragon maid is a pedo thing. this isnt a callout post i enjoyed most of the dragon maid anime but, thats always been what it is. theres no false bill of goods being sold to you here. its literally an anime in which a ten year old boy being a molested is a running gag. freaking out because a shortstack exists is some garbage. like imagine if fafnir lived with a ten year old girl named 'loli' and kept molesting her in her sleep for comedy points, i think a lot of you would be extremely mad about that instead of just pretending it doesnt happen and that big tits existing would be the anime's first and greatest sin.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dunno what they're gonna do about this second season of made in abyss. gets pretty dicey around here gonna be hard to push the weird stuff further from this point...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

i dunno what they're gonna do about this second season of made in abyss. gets pretty dicey around here gonna be hard to push the weird stuff further from this point...
concerned about the direction season 2 of kodomo no jikan takes.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

isn't htat what she looks like after she gets better at controlling her human form and she originally appears as more of a walking pair of economy size water balloons taped to a potato? since a big thing about her was that she was too young to properly use magic or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Futaba Anzu posted:

isn't htat what she looks like after she gets better at controlling her human form and she originally appears as more of a walking pair of economy size water balloons taped to a potato? since a big thing about her was that she was too young to properly use magic or something
i guess she looks more like a weird gremlin in some of these google image results but i assumed that was just art/design evolution. regardless the main point still stands