Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Holy poo poo someone at wizards grew a brain and banned teferi, loving finally.

Doesn't stop WAR from almost ruining the game and being the worst expansion of all time, but at least magic isn't actual garbage trash now.

Planeswalkers still blow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Dpulex posted:

Doesn't stop WAR from almost ruining the game and being the worst expansion of all time, but at least magic isn't actual garbage trash now.

Speak on that.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Dpulex posted:

Ikoria is worse because Companion was worse.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Dpulex posted:

There is still some interesting things they could do with Planeswalkers... like for example putting kicker on them
:thunk:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Dpulex posted:

Doesn't stop WAR from almost ruining the game

Because, like, Companion actually did that, in all formats, causing wotc to ban a card for power level from Vintage and bring back Urza's Saga's greatest hits, power level errata and pre-release emergency bans.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Planeswalkers have been in the game for almost as long as they haven’t, most of them are unplayable, a few of them are cool, and a handful are completely broken. What is it about them that drives some players bananas?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

fadam posted:

Planeswalkers have been in the game for almost as long as they haven’t, most of them are unplayable, a few of them are cool, and a handful are completely broken. What is it about them that drives some players bananas?
new thing bad

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

fadam posted:

the game was better without them

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

Yawgmoth posted:

new thing bad

I can admit this is mostly it in my case, I think my concept of the game got stuck in the year 2000. But I genuinely don't like the ones that are too good at protecting themselves, it feels like it kind of "splits" lines of play and slows the game down when you basically have to remove a planeswalker or get buried by them. I pretty much only play limited and pauper though, so whatever.

E: now that I'm thinking about it, I don't think it is total grognardery in my case because there were plenty of major changes / shakeups that I did like. new phyrexia was probably my favorite set, along with time spiral block, and I like the weird mana (and I know a lot of people do not.) and I still haven't fully adjusted to damage on the stack after 20 years and probably thousands of matches played.

The Breakfast Sampler fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 9, 2020

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

fadam posted:

i don't know, op, i guess you're just smarter than those people

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Tainen posted:

There is still some interesting things they could do with Planeswalkers... like for example putting kicker on them
:thunk:

isnt fireball nissa essentially that?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

little munchkin posted:

i don't know, op, i guess you're just smarter than those people

Thank you

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Lone Goat posted:

the game was better without them

There's been enough good and bad periods with and good and bad periods without that they're not really relevant to it outside of individually overpowered cards.

There have been overpowered artifacts, creatures, enchantments, instants, and sorceries as well, so I don't think that's the issue.

Tribal is the only fair card type thus.

The cycle of good sets and bad sets has still gone on. Playtesting poo poo the bed in Urza's Saga, it poo poo the bed with Ikoria, Saviors is bad and boring, Born of the Gods is bad and boring, the tournament winning mono red aggro deck has different cards in the sideboard for long games.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Banning Cauldron Familiar just because assholes can't be assed to be attentive with their game is loving hosed. :rip: my matchup against Simic Flash.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
It's not a good look for black cats when one gets banned in vintage and a mere 1/1 for 1 mana is banned in standard.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Cactrot posted:

I bent them back the opposite direction already, and the bend in crop rotation is imperceptible when compared to the rest of cards in my legacy infect deck, so at least it has a home.
doesn't matter man, you bought (extremely expensive) defective products, milk that poo poo. It'll cost them basically nothing and you might get something real nice for the trouble. Just take a photo of the bent cards and most likely extremely obviously bent box topper pack itself and that'd probably be all you'd need if not just straight up your word. You might need to send in a barcode, maybe, but never give megacorporations an inch when they gently caress up especially on hundreds of dollars worth of items like that.

there's someone I've bought from before who offers pretty great deals who had VIP boxes for 80 bucks each if you bought 4 or more and if that barcode thing actually works you're drat right I'm going in on those extra boosters.

fadam posted:

Another mechanic to juggle annoys people, I guess?

I've still not really wrapped my head around using Planeswalkers(what with not being able to actually play with anyone in person until the plague ends) but from the quick rundown I was given they seem like a neat idea with some exceptionally poor executions in places, much like the rest of the game. Like Wrenn and Six or Teferi.

which would y'all consider the most balanced planeswalker card? not gamebreaking, not poo poo, just solid all around.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Captain Invictus posted:

which would y'all consider the most balanced planeswalker card? not gamebreaking, not poo poo, just solid all around.
The original 5 in lorwyn were all pretty balanced and if they stuck at or near that kind of power level I don't think anyone would complain about them except extreme grognards who still whine about losing interrupts and mana burn.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
why would you complain about the lack of interrupts, don't instants cover every single thing they did already so they were entirely redundant? what's the problem?

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

i would wear the auratog shirt if it was just the 'tog and didn't say "magic the gathering"

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I just think a card type that always has 3-4 distinct abilities on it is vulgar and inelegant.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Captain Invictus posted:

Vivien, Champion of the Wilds.

She has a theme, the decks that want her benefit from her, but she isn't generically good so she can't go in anything.

Something interesting WAR did was expand the ways planeswalkers accrued advantage, without eschewing loyalty like most Gideons do. Teferi, Time Raveler was a fuckup in this regard but the rare planeswalkers without ults are an interesting direction on the concept.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
wow that b&r update (lttp)

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

doesn't matter man, you bought (extremely expensive) defective products, milk that poo poo. It'll cost them basically nothing and you might get something real nice for the trouble. Just take a photo of the bent cards and most likely extremely obviously bent box topper pack itself and that'd probably be all you'd need if not just straight up your word. You might need to send in a barcode, maybe, but never give megacorporations an inch when they gently caress up especially on hundreds of dollars worth of items like that.

there's someone I've bought from before who offers pretty great deals who had VIP boxes for 80 bucks each if you bought 4 or more and if that barcode thing actually works you're drat right I'm going in on those extra boosters.

Another mechanic to juggle annoys people, I guess?

I've still not really wrapped my head around using Planeswalkers(what with not being able to actually play with anyone in person until the plague ends) but from the quick rundown I was given they seem like a neat idea with some exceptionally poor executions in places, much like the rest of the game. Like Wrenn and Six or Teferi.

Most of the Vraskas are cool and just on the right side of playable without feeling like weird enchantments.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I really like new Tibalt as a small value engine that doesnt overwhelm the game, and i like Eldraine Garruk and Liliana, Dreadehorde General as the good examples of powerful top end planeswalkers who provide lots of value and board presence, but aren't unbeatable the way a resolved Ugin is most of the time.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Ugin is a powerful card no doubt but I feel like the real issue is that they've designed a format where spells that interact postively against planeswalkers are almost unplayable

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Captain Invictus posted:

why would you complain about the lack of interrupts, don't instants cover every single thing they did already so they were entirely redundant? what's the problem?
As far as I recall, dropping interrupts was just low-key grumbling about

Yawgmoth posted:

new thing bad

I remember the salt around dropping mana burn way better because it has won me a total of two (2) prerelease matches. Both incidents were nearly identical: some dude who looks like the simpsons comic book guy except crustier and greasier shows up to the prerelease, and it's his first real "tournament" since urza's saga. He gets very :smuggo: about "playing longer than [I've] been alive" and is taken aback when I tell him I've been playing since 1998. He then expects me to be on board with listening to him grouse about whatever his pet peeve was with the rules changes in 6th edition and is crestfallen when I say that the changes were good. Then for whatever reason (rattleclaw mystic was one, I forget the other) I get mana I can't spend and pass the turn. He gets very excited for me to lose 1-2 life off this, and I get to explain that no, mana burn is not a thing anymore, hasn't been for years. This leads to him asking 1d4+1 other people about mana burn, getting a healthy mix of "lol no dude that hasn't been around forever" and "what's that?" This in turn sparks a tirade about magic being ruined, involving how it's been dumbed down for little kids (lol) and rabble rabble rabble while he scoops up his cards and says he's never playing again except for with his three other nurgle-worshiping friends who will honor the old rules, playing with damage on the stack and mana burn the way god richard garfield intended.

I want them to make a red enchantment named Mana Burn just to further mess with these people.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Vivien, Champion of the Wilds.

She has a theme, the decks that want her benefit from her, but she isn't generically good so she can't go in anything.

Something interesting WAR did was expand the ways planeswalkers accrued advantage, without eschewing loyalty like most Gideons do. Teferi, Time Raveler was a fuckup in this regard but the rare planeswalkers without ults are an interesting direction on the concept.

I think Vivien, Arkbow Ranger is a pretty well-designed card too.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Captain Invictus posted:

You're not wrong, but also I don't want to, it's a hassle I don't want to bother with.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I think Vivien, Arkbow Ranger is a pretty well-designed card too.

Yeah Arkbow Ranger is probably the platonic ideal. You can't just shove it into anything but the decks that can use it on theme really get a lot out of it and it doesn't immediately shut you out of the game if your opponent drops it but you have to address it before you get steamrolled.

3 CMC Chandra from m20 is also on that level, I think.

Edit: Chandra Fire Artisan as well.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 9, 2020

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Tamiyo, Collector of Tales

1) she is bae
2) the only protection she has is her big booty
3) some thought required when upticking her
4) interacts with the GY, the best kind of Y
5) everyone forgets her passive effect, which protects you from any form of cowardly B non creature interaction

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I think that the various Tezzerets are all pretty well balanced, with Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas being a particular favorite of mine.

1. He's got a clear deckbuilding requirement (lots of artifacts), and all of his abilities key off of this.
2. He's got a very reasonable amount of starting loyalty--3--and doesn't tick in huge increments-- +1, -1, -4--so his abilities all feel pretty well in reach, but also he's never just unkillable because of a giant wall of loyalty
3. His - really opens up space for having random utility artifacts in your deck, because he can turn them into threats
4. His ult is significant without necessarily straight-up ending the game. If you're fighting the ult, you can also try and get rid of artifacts.

I like him a lot.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Eej posted:

1) she is bae
5) everyone forgets her passive effect, which protects you from any form of cowardly B non creature interaction

I’ve won a shitload of games on the back of Tamiyo and literally every time someone cast a discard spell on me I forgot she protected me until she flashed red lol

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I finally made a priced list of most of what I've got for sale at the moment, still a bunch of not pack fresh stuff from my old collection I've post upthread that I haven't figured out what to price them, but for the most part this is it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3679632&pagenumber=422#post507135851

Cactrot posted:

You're not wrong, but also I don't want to, it's a hassle I don't want to bother with.
fair enough, that's your prerogative. just that you could absolutely get a couple more box toppers off their fuckup and possibly like, something super expensive you could flip too. if you don't care about that though, by all means skip the hassle of dealing with customer service.

Eej posted:

1) she is bae
That's a pretty neat card, don't like her weird haircones though

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 9, 2020

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I think WAR Chandra is a pretty good PW. She only draws a single card for one turn (and you can whiff on the draw) and isn't really a threat unless she gets to 7, which takes a while. She slots in pretty naturally to any burn deck that needs something to get over the hump. The uncommon Chandra from M20 was good too as it only really worked in sac or cavalcade decks.

Also, WAR has been one of my favorite sets to draft, and everyone's decks are usually pretty spicy and unique.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
What is up with the M21 6 mana planeswalkers? They seem consistently weak. Especially their ultimates.
I see people making the cheaper M21 walkers work regularly, but I have never seen the big versions in action?

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Those are from the intro decks, which they intentionally design to be weak. You can see that they're not in the boosters by checking the collector id at the bottom of the card. If it's just a number without a slash and the number of cards in the set, it's not part of the set proper.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Planeswalkers are fine as a concept and not intrinsically a problem, and WAR giving them persistent effects was largely a success in updating the design space. Teferi and I think Nissa are problems but they avoidably break core rules of magic by shutting off too much interaction and providing too much free mana (Nissa is not as bad as Reclaimation though) which is separate from the concept of PWs.

Oko was just dumb and probably the result of last minute changes like what created Skullclamp.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

At my LGS, we have binders to sell your cards, the store gets a 10% cut. I put my foil box topper FOW from my VIP boosters in it. The boss comes up to me about half an hour later going "you are selling this too cheap, take it out. Don't be dumb." So he just texted someone he knew who wanted one, sold it in the spot, gave me cash and took his 10%. As a person who hates dealing with buying and selling and all that, this system is perfect for the person who just wants to throw poo poo up and forget about it.

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

nrook posted:

I just think a card type that always has 3-4 distinct abilities on it is vulgar and inelegant.

bingo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

BizarroAzrael posted:

Planeswalkers are fine as a concept and not intrinsically a problem, and WAR giving them persistent effects was largely a success in updating the design space. Teferi and I think Nissa are problems but they avoidably break core rules of magic by shutting off too much interaction and providing too much free mana (Nissa is not as bad as Reclaimation though) which is separate from the concept of PWs.

Oko was just dumb and probably the result of last minute changes like what created Skullclamp.

The ultimate mistake of the WARwalkers is that static buffs that effect only you are like 100% easier to track than the prison walkers. The first month or two (or three) after they came out was just a deluge of cracking CIRCUITOUS ROUTE into Ashiok, or Thought Erasure on the Tamiyo player, or trying to cantrip into Narset.

Those planeswalkers are absolutely dogshit design, and make the game hideously unfun to play in a very weird way.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 10, 2020