Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

ArchangeI posted:

Even on their worst day these forums are better than quite a few of the other big Paradox communities out there. But yeah, sometimes you just need to take some time off from being the public face of the corporation (some have also moved on to other companies). For what it's worth, I've never heard any of the goon devs say that they no longer feel welcome here.

That's good to hear, we appreciate having you guys around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Just wanted to post that the Mapgoons server will be starting up two new games of Stellaris and Imperator soon. Stellaris will be running on a Friday and Imperator on a Sunday. We're still running our weekly EU4 game as well, currently in the early 1500s that anyone is more than welcome to jump into!

If you're interested the discord is https://discord.gg/ybshdQ

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cynic Jester posted:

I'm not really buying it. That's not to say I don't think Paradox might have been assholes about something but considering how he acted when the EU4 Castle LAN thing went down, I reckon there's way more behind this than that one video.

I would like to know more

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Mans posted:

I would like to know more

It's been a while but from what I remember, he got really pissy that he wasn't given an invite to the LAN party. He later walked that back and claimed he got pissy because they didn't tell him he needed to set things up himself, in terms of registering for the LAN and travel. Lots of hours spent on stream bemoaning the situation and how hurt he felt. While all the other streamers who attended booked their own trips.

See https://www.reddit.com/r/paradoxplaza/comments/egcymw/what_is_going_on_with_arumba/ for more info, including a weird discussion about how using gay slurs as a pejorative is fine actually, because everyone else does it :psyduck:

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I think you can often tell if a particular content creator is going to eventually get into trouble. For example, I doubt Taureor is ever going to be the cause of any drama.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Dramicus posted:

I think you can often tell if a particular content creator is going to eventually get into trouble. For example, I doubt Taureor is ever going to be the cause of any drama.

I am worried that I will hear one day on the news that a great deal of bank fraud was committed by a man who goes by the name "Florryworry".

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I am worried that I will hear one day on the news that a great deal of bank fraud was committed by a man who goes by the name "Florryworry".

And then the day before you'll be hit by a sense of deja vu, and the bank fraud won't have happened. Outside, a white bird flies away.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
At least now content creators are more likely to be called out for especially egregious stuff, like happened with a big Fire Emblem streamer who turned out to be a big sex pest, and has since totally vanished from the FE community.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/victoria-ii-a-ten-year-retrospective.1410128/

Oh hey, it’s the 10th anniversary of Vicky 2

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
good time to announce Vicky3

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

*ahem*

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/09/08/paradox-interactives-qa-staff-allege-poor-treatment-low-pay-and-mismanaged-layoffs/

edit: oops forgot to put a quote

RPS posted:

Between April and May 2019, Paradox Interactive closed down their publishing QA department in Sweden, and many employees I spoke to expressed discontent with how the closure was handled. (Every current and former employee I spoke to asked for anonymity, to protect their jobs or future employment.) Some told me of poor communication about it from management, of affected staff being offered worse jobs as a replacement for their lost positions within QA, and of uncertainty around who that department’s work would fall to after it had been disbanded.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I'm not sure what causes software companies to think they should get rid of qa, but it happens a lot and they never seem to learn

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If there's nobody to find bugs before launch you can launch without having to spend dev time fixing bugs.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Does this coincide with Paradox’s opening of an office in Spain? It’s possible they moved the QA jobs to a country where they can ostensibly pay less for the same work.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

VostokProgram posted:

I'm not sure what causes software companies to think they should get rid of qa, but it happens a lot and they never seem to learn

:capitalism: Shareholders come first.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

VostokProgram posted:

Profit margins, shareholder value, etc.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah that's pretty much it, even a poor quality product can be sold for money tomorrow

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

The invisible hand is a lie and this should be extremely clear to anyone with a basic understanding of economics beyond the Econ 101 propaganda they try to spoonfeed you at age 14. Winning at capitalism is 70% corruption or nepotism and 30% making something that's just good enough the piggies will still fork over money for it, but any investment in quality beyond that is generally wasted unless you're catering to some kind of rich person niche market. People still buy Paradox games even when they're buggy messes, so who the gently caress needs QA?

Note: I am one of the piggies who sometimes gives them money anyways, of course

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Sep 10, 2020

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I, for one, learned from Stellaris to not buy PDX's games until they are actually good. It took me like four years to learn that from Stellaris, but the point stands. I didnt buy into the hype for Imperator and I will not buy into the hype for CKIII.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah I don't own CK3 and probably won't for a while, it seems cool but not cool enough to justify full price imo and the shine'll wear off in a few weeks anyways. Paradox games are always super popular on release until people get past a few dozen hours and the cracks start to show.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Oh and I bought the Emperor DLC for EU4 because its my favorite PDX title and it brought a lot of much needed changes. However I may speak with my wallet in the future there, too, until they add some sort of army automation so I dont have to manually siege down/occupy the entirety of <LargeCountryA> and each of its 5 allies every 15 years just to complete a mission or take a single province that I want, all while <LargeCountryA> and each of its 5 allies are leaving their homelands undefended because they can get Military Access through fifteen countries, half of which are friendly with me, so they can attack the part of my country where my armies arent, over on the other end of the continent.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Sep 10, 2020

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Clearly they had so many bugs because they were testing more. Fire QA, test less, fewer bugs. I don't see the problem.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

idhrendur posted:

Clearly they had so many bugs because they were testing more. Fire QA, test less, fewer bugs. I don't see the problem.

Testing does not fix bugs though.

In the years we had publishing QA they were never involved with testing PDS games, the PDS QA team did and still does all of that.

Ironically in the recent years we have had far more QA and longer test periods than before.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

pdxjohan posted:

In the years we had publishing QA they were never involved with testing PDS games, the PDS QA team did and still does all of that.

Ironically in the recent years we have had far more QA and longer test periods than before.

So this was the team doing QA on third-party games you were publishing? I guess the distinction between dev QA and publisher QA doesn't really come across in the articles.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Hey guys any tips to make CK2 more legible? My friend can't play 3 right now so we are trying to play 2 but the tiny, tiny font hurts my eyes and UI scaling is very blurry. I see there are a lot of font mods but does anyone have any recommendations?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Jabor posted:

So this was the team doing QA on third-party games you were publishing? I guess the distinction between dev QA and publisher QA doesn't really come across in the articles.

It is mentioned in a couple of places but they don't make it explicit what the implications of the difference are. Given the number of times I've seen this article linked in various places I guess that's what they were going for since "Paradox FIRES QA department" is more compelling news to nerds than "gaming industry QA staff are generally treated like poo poo"

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Det_no posted:

Hey guys any tips to make CK2 more legible? My friend can't play 3 right now so we are trying to play 2 but the tiny, tiny font hurts my eyes and UI scaling is very blurry. I see there are a lot of font mods but does anyone have any recommendations?

I don't know how many of these are up to date, but when I still played CK2 I used:

Bigger interface: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=762121960
Century Gothic Bold 18: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=734350648
Interface: Century Gotic: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=735130352

It made the game much more legible for me, but I don't know if the same will be the case for you. The bigger interface doesn't actually make the fonts bigger, it just makes the UI actually use the space on the screen if you're on 1080 or higher resolution.

Oh, and I don't know if this is the case for anyone else, but I found that using anti-aliasing in CK2 and EUIV made the whole screen flicker and blur a little, so maybe try disabling that just as a test and see if it helps.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Sep 10, 2020

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Det_no posted:

Set it to a lower resolution.

This isn't a joke post, it can actually help. I play on my TV rather than at a monitor so I have a hard time reading really tiny text, and turning the resolution down can make it a lot more legible without really hurting the gameplay at all.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I, for one, learned from Stellaris to not buy PDX's games until they are actually good. It took me like four years to learn that from Stellaris, but the point stands. I didnt buy into the hype for Imperator and I will not buy into the hype for CKIII.

Crazycryodude posted:

Yeah I don't own CK3 and probably won't for a while, it seems cool but not cool enough to justify full price imo and the shine'll wear off in a few weeks anyways. Paradox games are always super popular on release until people get past a few dozen hours and the cracks start to show.

Eh, CK3 and Stellaris are poles apart. Stellaris was a new game line, and frankly it was pretty boring with not much to do on release. Now there's tons to do, but performance and play quality degrade quickly once your planet numbers exceed like, six. Resettlement is hell. CK3 on the other hand, is an evolution of a long running game line with shitloads to do in it.

Get a Microsoft Game Pass for £1 for a month and make up your own mind on CK3. I think it's probably Paradox's best release to date. I haven't encountered a bug yet.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

pdxjohan posted:

I honestly keep forgetting that there's a significant difference between Paradox the developer and Paradox the publisher. I've been with you since HoI1 and I guess it's just stuck in my head that Paradox makes games and that's it.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I've had a few crashes on startup with CK3 and fairly often I have to restart to have my cloud saves show up, and I've had one CTD while playing. But honestly not annoying enough to be bothered by.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

I got burned by buying imperator first day, but ck3 is really really excellent. I've already surpassed my play time on imperator with a week of ck3. I even keep going back to imperator every few months to try again but I just can't stick it out :(

Ck3 turned out really well tho

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I thought Stellaris was good from the start, just not for very long as these kind of games go. But I can see why people didn’t.

CK3 though I think is excellent immediately in a way that almost anyone should enjoy unless you really miss a lot of specific things that didn’t make it from CK2 or if CK2 was like the bare minimum in terms of content for your tastes. I know there are some not-insignificant bugs floating around but in my 23ish hours I don’t recall seeing anything. And it runs amazingly well.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
There are already 30% more posts in the CK3 thread than in the Imperator thread. Please don't compare these two games. I've laid out how impressed I was about how many things made the jump from CK2 DLC to base CK3, and I already have 43 hours played in it. It's a great release, and even though there are some bugs, some design decisions are questionable, and the inheritance system is a bit screwy, it's arguably already as good as full CK3.

They did a good iteration of the Crusader Kings concept with CK3, which is why you can't compare Stellaris to it. And seeing how well they did with CK3, I really hope Wiz is working on Stellaris 2 as his secret project. Because I don't think Stellaris is really salvageable. It's enjoyable, and I sometimes dabble in it for a few hours, but it inevitably gets boring long before you reach the endgame. Contrast that to the much performance improved CK3, where several people in the CK3 thread already played from the earliest start date to 1453, nearly 600 years! It's such a huge difference.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

He’s working on Victoria 3 which is much more important you BUFFOON

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

"How fast you can play through the game" seems like an extremely weird metric to use for quality but them I'm one of those people who plays at speed 3-4 most of the time and rarely plays more than 50-100 years in a single game because the game state inevitably becomes boring since none of Paradox's games put much effort into stopping you from snowballing.

I'm also extremely not the target audience for CK3 so I guess it doesn't matter.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

"how fast you can play through the game" is actually a worthwhile metric here if only because Paradox games usually move slower than molasses as you get closer to the end.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
CK2 really suffered from significant slowdown later one when there were too many characters and interactions going on. CK3's map is bigger than CK2's map, yet runs so much faster even in later stages of the game. This makes me less worried about the game becoming similarly slow as the devs add more features and interactions to the game. It's more future proof if you will.

Also, enforced gavelkind until the High Medieval period is actually great at keeping you from snowballing too hard early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Communist Walrus posted:

"how fast you can play through the game" is actually a worthwhile metric here if only because Paradox games usually move slower than molasses as you get closer to the end.

Oh right, I didn't see that it was a comment about performance, that makes more sense. I don't think I ever played a CK2 game long enough to get performance issues.