Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Lotr has some of the best bad guy lines.

The way Wormtongue delivers "Get out of my way" and Denethor does "Flee! Flee for your lives" are amazing and one day I hope to be in a nightclub fire one day so I have an excuse to say those things with the same level of drama.

It also has some of the worst good guy lines...

"A red sun rises, blood has been spilled this night"

Whatever Aragorn says in TTT as he runs past the camera early on

There's a couple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Lotr has some of the best bad guy lines.

The way Wormtongue delivers "Get out of my way" and Denethor does "Flee! Flee for your lives" are amazing and one day I hope to be in a nightclub fire one day so I have an excuse to say those things with the same level of drama.

Wormtongue is such a ridiculous cheesy cartoon of a character. Pretty much the only person to ever exist who could pull it off and make it not goofy is Brad Dourif.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

etalian posted:

Well they already made Lord of the G-String

It was a better adaptation than the hobbit trilogy

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Big Beef City posted:

They literally can't STOP vibrating.

"Born to pleasure!
Born to serve!
That's the way our dicks are curved!"
-- Hobbit Hymn

This is a hymn that's literally in the Silmarillion for anyone who's unsure whether it's canon

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Bronze Fonz posted:

The Hobbit would've made a great movie. Make it 3+ hours long if you want, but any more than 1 movie and you're stuck filling the gently caress out of it with the crap we've seen.

There's too much poo poo going on in the Hobbit to be 1 movie without either dropping a bunch of the good poo poo that the Hobbit is known for or compressing it so much that it'd wind up feeling rushed. But the temptation to turn 2 movies into a trilogy is too great obviously, so that shouldn't have been attempted either

It would have made a good TV miniseries, maybe topping out at 6 episodes. It could literally just follow what happens in the book, spending an hour dealing with each major segment of the story and letting you get to know a few of the characters. Don't go nuts with the CGI budget like the Hobbit movies did, these things don't need to be blowing minds they're just a fun children's story

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
How do you visually differentiate between the dwarves without making some poo poo up?

Except for Bombur. That fat sack of crap. The book is really hard on Bombur.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
I watched the three extended movies all on one sitting and I felt bad after.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

How do you visually differentiate between the dwarves without making some poo poo up?

Except for Bombur. That fat sack of crap. The book is really hard on Bombur.

Thorin is the "Meet the parents" one.

Kili is the Baby Face.

Fili is the suave one.

Balin is the "older brother".

Dwalin is the bad boy.

Nori is the heartthrob.

Ori is the shy one.

Gloin is the brooding one.

Bofur is the quirky one.

Bifur is the "crazy" one.

Oin is the mysterious one.

And Bombur is the fat one.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Disney's dwarves were so much easier to keep straight

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
I think it's indictive that Dwarf society was so hosed up that Bombur was so drat fat but also so rich he had an army of dwarves wiping his rear end until his death

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Derpies posted:

I think it's indictive that Dwarf society was so hosed up that Bombur was so drat fat but also so rich he had an army of dwarves wiping his rear end until his death

One well-placed artillery barrage could have taken out that whole party and a big part of the Dwarf nobility

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Hello Sailor posted:

Disney's dwarves were so much easier to keep straight

Behind the scenes scuttlebutt says otherwise.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

One well-placed artillery barrage could have taken out that whole party and a big part of the Dwarf nobility

Orcs lack proper ground to ground surface missiles though, they aren't even that far into the gunpowder tree

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
yeah, and if they mastered rocketry we'd call them dorks.

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

Loved the movies but they could've taken the Aragorn romance crap to save time for the scouring of the shire which is the best part of the books

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

rain dogs posted:

Loved the movies but they could've taken the Aragorn romance crap to save time for the scouring of the shire which is the best part of the books

Pacing wise that works better in a book where you can just take chapters as they come, in a feature film it would have been awkward as fuuuuuck. They made the right choice.

The netflix version has no excuse however and should do it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Tolkien's dwarves are like pandas in that they're slow and refuse to gently caress

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Richard armitage left Strike back for the hobbit which is good because the buddy seasons with sullivan stapleton and philip winchester were a lot better

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 7, 2020

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Remember in the Hobbit when the sand worms from Dune shows up from under the mountains? Like, do they think mountains just kinda sit on the ground like big rocks that you can easily dig under? They could have just tunneled right into the city or whatever they were doing there.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mooey Cow posted:

Remember in the Hobbit when the sand worms from Dune shows up from under the mountains? Like, do they think mountains just kinda sit on the ground like big rocks that you can easily dig under? They could have just tunneled right into the city or whatever they were doing there.

I didn't remember Nydus Canals being in the book but I read it a long time ago, were they in the book or were they just added for the movie?

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Mooey Cow posted:

Remember in the Hobbit when the sand worms from Dune shows up from under the mountains?

Honestly, no.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

QuarkJets posted:

I didn't remember Nydus Canals being in the book but I read it a long time ago, were they in the book or were they just added for the movie?

They were just added for the movie.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I just saw that the extended edition of The Return of the King is 4 and a half hours, that is just absurdly long. Does it have even more endings or something?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Caesar Saladin posted:

I just saw that the extended edition of The Return of the King is 4 and a half hours, that is just absurdly long. Does it have even more endings or something?

No but they don't have the receipt for him and so TWO managers get involved on if they'll actually take him back or not.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

The Return of the King extended extras are an additional 90 minutes of Pippin singing.

And it's worth it.

Also the Rohan charge is done in strobe slowmo

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I don't want to make a new thread every time I watch something I liked but the Shining sequel Doctor Sleep is not bad. It's not anywhere near the Kubrick one but well worth your two hours I think.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

I don't want to make a new thread every time I watch something I liked but the Shining sequel Doctor Sleep is not bad. It's not anywhere near the Kubrick one but well worth your two hours I think.

Dr Sleep? more like this film put me to sleep, haha.

i kid, i kid. i never watched it.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Why weren't there any dwarven women in the hobbit

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Colonel Cancer posted:

all the dwarves seen in the film were women you just can't tell because they are so alike in voice and appearance that they're often mistaken for dwarf men.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Strumpie posted:

all the dwarves seen in the film were women you just can't tell because they are so alike in voice and appearance that they're often mistaken for dwarf men.

Maybe bombur was a women?

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Dwarf Poldark was a women.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Dwarf women in their mature form, exist in a shape we would call 'giant pupae'.
Making them difficult to transport and fairly useless on traditional questing adventures, but well suited to burrowing and rooting about in their mountain homes.
Male dwarves, returning home, are often lovestruck by their excessive pheromone secretions, which smell of sand and gold, as well as their love songs, reminiscent of 'moaning and high pitched flatulence' per Nettothaddus The Wise

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Which hobbit had the biggest hobbit dick

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Biggest hobbit dick is probably like 2'5"

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Also obviously samwell gamgee

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
you know what they say about the Longfoot clan...

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Yeah, their rulers have 13 inches.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Pump Jockey
Mar 15, 2019

i believe in love

Colonel Cancer posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

interwhat posted:

I watched the three extended movies all on one sitting and I felt bad after.

I went to the premiere of return of the king, which was preceded by extended editions of the first two. I think it was also the premiere of two towers extended edition. We saw it in a theater with beer, and smoked a j in the parking lot between movies, and it was incredible.

I don’t think I have made it through an extended edition in one sitting since.