Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Animale posted:

It's a Line credenza from DWR that I got from a warehouse sale. I should have gone with a BDI unit since it has a removable back, my current receiver is slightly too deep to close the door completely.

We all die sometime.

poo poo I should have known that, prada would be proud

so... you are going to get a bookcase right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uncloudy day
Aug 4, 2010

nielsm posted:

Have you checked that the length of the pendulum does not matter for the speed of the clock? Keep in mind that the period of a pendulum is determined almost entirely by its length.

Yes, it’s a quartz movement so it keeps perfect time regardless of the pendulum geometry (or presence of a pendulum at all). It’s magnetically controlled and just for show.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DIY › Interior design: It’s magnetically controlled and just for show.

(not nearly as good as the current, but it's a contender)

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Uh, be careful with fixtures from this website. I had a client insist on ordering some even though we told them we were concerned about that vendor. We refused to install them when they arrived and could see how they were put together. Went straight into the dumpster.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

actionjackson posted:

here is the sample of what may be THE rug that I saw in store yesterday against my floor, I like it

oh no that rug is much too small

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

actually that picture was taken from 1000 feet in the air

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Facebook Aunt posted:

It's called minimalism, idiot.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

actionjackson posted:

poo poo I should have known that, prada would be proud

so... you are going to get a bookcase right?

Unless you're talking about some other pile of books that I missed, that big stack of books IS on a bookshelf.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Facebook Aunt posted:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

mutata posted:

Unless you're talking about some other pile of books that I missed, that big stack of books IS on a bookshelf.

uh.. I guess? i've never seen anything like that. in either case it doesn't exactly look great to have a ~6 foot stack of books

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Oh wow you were being serious.

https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/sapien-bookcase-36739382

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

that looks terrible

just store your books somewhere, or go through them all and decide hey maybe I don't need a literal five foot stack of books

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 9, 2020

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Motronic posted:

DIY › Interior design: It’s magnetically controlled and just for show.

(not nearly as good as the current, but it's a contender)

DIY › Interior design: There's no substance, it's just for show.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Zillow search term of the day is "modernist"

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5-Rolling-Ridge-Rd-Northfield-IL-60093/65538015_zpid/ architect not specified (2002)

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1-Auditorium-Cir-Wrightsville-Beach-NC-28480/103763170_zpid/ "Mid-Atlantic Hawaiian Modern" by Michael Ross Kersting (2019)

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/23-Scott-Pl-Durham-NC-27705/49981890_zpid/ by Jon Condoret (1969)

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1-Learned-Pl-Durham-NC-27705/49981897_zpid/ another by Jon Condoret (1972)

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/40-Elk-Haven-Ct-Townsend-MT-59644/116353861_zpid/ Neo-Modernist "Big Sky House" by William Massie (2000)

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6333-Esplanade-Playa-Del-Rey-CA-90293/65242304_zpid/ by Buff & Hensman (1981)

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/30-Kemp-Rd-E-Greensboro-NC-27410/5948172_zpid/ by Adam Sebastian (2017)

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/11345-W-Ricks-Cir-Dallas-TX-75230/26911666_zpid/ by Joshua Nimmo (2017)

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

actionjackson posted:

that looks terrible

just store your books somewhere, or go through them all and decide hey maybe I don't need a literal five foot stack of books

Why do people own things that I don't want? Why don't they throw away everything they own that I don't care about?

These are the questions that keep me up at night.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Youth Decay posted:

The Zillow search term of the day is "modernist"

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5-Rolling-Ridge-Rd-Northfield-IL-60093/65538015_zpid/ architect not specified (2002)

there's that bat signal thing from dwr

i'm trying to figure out what the white chair is doing off by itself, and what that gray thing is next to it

Weembles posted:

Why do people own things that I don't want? Why don't they throw away everything they own that I don't care about?

These are the questions that keep me up at night.

not at all man, just think having a pile of books going close to your ceiling looks pretty hideous. just waiting for it to fall over and to get another memorial song from charlie daniels (well he's dead but you get the point)

remember the day

when the book pile fellllll

if it's just supposed to be a "look" then fine, otherwise what is going on with your storage situation that the only place for five goddamn feet of books is a prominent display in the corner of the room

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 9, 2020

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Tezer posted:

Uh, be careful with fixtures from this website. I had a client insist on ordering some even though we told them we were concerned about that vendor. We refused to install them when they arrived and could see how they were put together. Went straight into the dumpster.

this was just the first google, rather than an endorsement

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Shuu posted:

Would love to find a crate that isn't $2500 and still looks good in my living room, though. Most fashion/alternative crates are a little too modern farmhouse for me.

A guy I went to high school with makes these, which I think look kind of like Dog Jail, but they're certainly nicer than the standard mesh crate. They might still be kind of modern farmhouse though.

ColobusMonkey
Jan 23, 2005

Youth Decay, can you do a post that’s an asian inspired theme?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Shuu posted:

In more weird mid century news - have you ever wanted your dog to own a nicer house than you? Say no more!

Only $3500 on Etsy.

I unironically want this, though.

Would love to find a crate that isn't $2500 and still looks good in my living room, though. Most fashion/alternative crates are a little too modern farmhouse for me.

In 1959 Better Homes & Gardens published an article on building doghouses. They look pretty easy and cheap to DIY and you can probably modify them into indoor crates by adding a locking mesh or wireframe door.

remember, don't use lead paint

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
goons I think I found a table, help me find chairs for it

was thinking of something with metal legs to match the middle

this could work but I'm not big on the sleds

e: I hate to admit it but I think a white/walnut dsw looks really good with it

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 9, 2020

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

actionjackson posted:

not at all man, just think having a pile of books going close to your ceiling looks pretty hideous. just waiting for it to fall over and to get another memorial song from charlie daniels (well he's dead but you get the point)

remember the day

when the book pile fellllll

if it's just supposed to be a "look" then fine, otherwise what is going on with your storage situation that the only place for five goddamn feet of books is a prominent display in the corner of the room

Why would you want to hide your books? Nothing wrong with books being on display.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

KillerEggplant posted:

Why would you want to hide your books? Nothing wrong with books being on display.

yeah, and your funko pops

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

PRADA SLUT posted:

so wacky with bundt pans glued to the ceiling and a shrine to useless garbage taking up an entire wall, while we stack bowls on top of microwaves on top of the only counter in the entire place. def maximalism and not dumb bullshit everywhere

more like casa idiota

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

I'm the camera angle which implies either someone ducking to stay out of the mirror's reflection, or a house for oddjob

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

I like the last chair. how many chairs are you getting?

I think the first chair would kind of weird since it really doesn't have any color, and I like having the chair legs be different than the table support.

what about About A Chair? In white/walnut if you prefer

https://www.dwr.com/kitchen-dining-chairs-benches/about-a-chair-12-side-chair/2514605.html?lang=en_US
https://www.dwr.com/kitchen-dining-chairs-benches/about-a-chair-22-armchair/2514603.html?lang=en_US

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 9, 2020

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

PRADA SLUT posted:

The first one looks hideously uncomfortable to sit in; and the second one is marginal on the comfort front. I think Number 4 looks the best, the wood matches the tabletop.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'm the camera angle which implies either someone ducking to stay out of the mirror's reflection, or a house for oddjob

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

PRADA SLUT posted:

yeah, and your funko pops

Nobody’s reading funko pops, chill.

KillerEggplant posted:

poo poo, when I lived in an old school my windowsills were all filled with books, and I had books stacked on top of my piano. It was extremely on brand for the space.

corgski fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Aug 9, 2020

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

This is that maximalism I've heard about right?

Love it, would be nice if the cat tree didn't overlap the window and the TV didn't overlap the serving hatch? behind it. Otherwise fantastic.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
It's honestly the most practical use I've ever seen for a Ryobi tablesaw.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

Would this qualify as gently caress Your Noguchi Dining Table?

I have the Globus chairs in wood and they're extremely comfortable.
https://www.dwr.com/outdoor-dining-chairs/globus-chair/4133.html?lang=en_US

cakesmith handyman posted:

This is that maximalism I've heard about right?

Love it, would be nice if the cat tree didn't overlap the window and the TV didn't overlap the serving hatch? behind it. Otherwise fantastic.
I'm working with the space I have, there was a lot of measuring to make sure the dining table and a good looking cat tree would fit in that space without blocking access into the kitchen.

I've thought of switching the couch and credenza around but then the speakers would be pointed towards the building instead of away and I want to be somewhat of a considerate neighbor.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
The full sized table day I used to have had a top made out of iron that rusted when it was just humid. Hopefully not the same material here.

uncloudy day
Aug 4, 2010

PRADA SLUT posted:

I think these would look good. They come in a clear lacquer, or upholstered with tweed/leather. The wood tone looks a little different than your table though.

I own a Series 7 chair and I think it’s comfortable and a perfect dining chair.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

PRADA SLUT posted:

The last one looks almost sentient and I like it with the table.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Youth Decay posted:

The Zillow search term of the day is "Vintage Club". The Vintage Country Club in Indian Wells, CA is a development of huge mansions on a golf course in the middle of the desert. All the mansions are completely loving bonkers. One photo alone cannot do them justice.

Strap in folks.

This is as if you were only preparing us now with your daily posts. "OK, class, this term we have looked at agate wall decorations and work surfaces, McMid Century Modern pastiche, Miami drug dealer aesthetic, fake roccoco, disappearing windows, 20th Century American faux-Gothic, Art Deco and Palladian glasswork. Now let's put those all together and see how they work in a single house.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I agree, I like the unusual lines of that walnut finish one.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

PRADA SLUT posted:

I have this chair. It's great but if you even look at it funny you will get little black and gray scuffs on the white surface that are a bit tough to remove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Animale posted:

Would this qualify as gently caress Your Noguchi Dining Table?

fun story, Noguchi was the apprentice of Brancusi, who was probably the biggest sculptor in all of Romania. Romania did a lot of this wood-carved folk art, and Brancusi was big into this whole 'simple Romanian lifestyle' thing. Brancusi heads to Paris, and works in a few places (including Rodin, which was best known for 'the thinker') and does his own thing. So Brancusi's work ended up being like a modernist version of Romanian folk sculpture.

Then, Noguchi shows up and learns from Brancusi, which gives him this style of like a blend of Romanian folk art and Japanese landscaping.

Brancusi did this:

Later, Noguchi does this:

also a bunch of public art like black sun in Seattle:

makes u think