Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Koichi rules. He did the right thing and just treated Endeavor like a particularly angry natural disaster. Also hell yeah Dramatic Power Up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Vigilantes loving rules so drat much

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

He flies now?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Vinylshadow posted:

He flies now?

He flies now!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

He flies now?

No, jump good.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Koichi :unsmith:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I remember this part in The Iron Giant.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
The Crawler will now be the Splatter.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Vigilantes is starting to feel like it's getting close to a finale. Like this is going to be the last arc before their happily ever after. And you know what?

I'm okay with that. I love Vigilantes, and of course I want more, but I'd respect the hell out of thm for deciding "this is where we want it to end."

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

PMush Perfect posted:

Vigilantes is starting to feel like it's getting close to a finale. Like this is going to be the last arc before their happily ever after. And you know what?

I'm okay with that. I love Vigilantes, and of course I want more, but I'd respect the hell out of thm for deciding "this is where we want it to end."

Koichi basically says this is basically the finale before the arc began

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

How many years before MHA does this take place again? Because I’d personally love to see a few of these characters pop up in the main series at some point.

An anime adaptation would be nice as well.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

How many years before MHA does this take place again? Because I’d personally love to see a few of these characters pop up in the main series at some point.

An anime adaptation would be nice as well.

I don't think we've been given a specific number. That said, it can't be any lower than 2 - Aizawa is not a teacher yet, and we know he had at least one class before the current class.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Rhonne posted:

NEW VIGILANTES!

Hell yeah Crawler! :lol: at Endeavor inadvertently blasting O'Clock 2.

all i could think of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH0XHC2Ddmw&t=62s

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Rhonne posted:

No, jump good.

Yeah it’s more of a big jump, very fitting with who he’s carrying. That said he’d probably be able to fly if he trained his quirk enough. He could pretty much fly now if he used a glider or something and just used his quirk when ascending.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

RatHat posted:

Yeah it’s more of a big jump, very fitting with who he’s carrying. That said he’d probably be able to fly if he trained his quirk enough. He could pretty much fly now if he used a glider or something and just used his quirk when ascending.

Are you suggesting Deku evolves into Kite Man

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

RatHat posted:

Once again, I'm reminded that Koichi probably could have been a pro hero at this point if it weren't for his mom. She constantly discouraged him from his dreams his whole life and stunted the development of his quirk by hitting Koichi when he was still a baby every time he tried using his quirk.

Koichi's mom is the worst.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Koichi's mom has a broken quirk the more I think about it. Who can handle an abusive mom slap from 20 or so meters away?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

amigolupus posted:

Once again, I'm reminded that Koichi probably could have been a pro hero at this point if it weren't for his mom. She constantly discouraged him from his dreams his whole life and stunted the development of his quirk by hitting Koichi when he was still a baby every time he tried using his quirk.

Koichi's mom is the worst.

I'm not going to defend her behavior, because it's not really defensible in any way and she's an awful person, but I can imagine that raising a quirk baby has to be a nightmare hell scenario.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

I don't think we've been given a specific number. That said, it can't be any lower than 2 - Aizawa is not a teacher yet, and we know he had at least one class before the current class.

Final chapter of the series is going to have Koichi bump into a young Deku and give him his All Might hoodie after the kid starts gushing about it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Finally got around to catching up on this, looks like I chose a great time to! Although now I have nothing to read...

Time to read vigilantes I guess?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

yeah

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Read vigilantes. It’s extremely good.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vigilantes is very good and I really wish they’d make an anime adaptation one day.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

Vigilantes is very good and I really wish they’d make an anime adaptation one day.

I'd be surprised if it doesn't happen. At the very least, the Aizawa's past part needs to be adapted since that directly affects the main series.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

CodfishCartographer posted:

Finally got around to catching up on this, looks like I chose a great time to! Although now I have nothing to read...

Time to read vigilantes I guess?

Read it, it's good! Although the first chapter shares a similar issue with MHA's first chapter with Bakugo telling Deku to kill himself, except in Vigilantes it was Pop Step getting threatened with sexual assault. It also takes a few chapters to find its footing, probably because it used to run in a monthly magazine before eventually moving to Shonen Jump.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I think the magazine Vigilantes debuted in was cancelled after the second or third issue, so they ended up jumping to like 2 other magazines before finally settling on where they are now. So in the early run of the series, you'll get a few soft reboot chapters that reintroduced the setting and characters of the series to potential new readers.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I honestly think Vigilantes is the superior manga more often than not. The main story seems to me to be struggling with focus or like its thrashing through ideas looking for the next big thing. Also power level hell escalation and character bloat. Then group battles are extremely hard to get right and the larger the groups are the worse it gets.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I dunno, I think the main manga has been better since the Joint Training Arc ended. My Villain Academia, even the aside with Endeavor, and the war arc are all really great IMO

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
This manga is sadly much better when it doesn’t focus on the main characters

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

This manga is sadly much better when it doesn’t focus on the main characters

This is unfortunately the case many times.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I think a Vigilantes adaptation could be a good way to fill the space between two regular MHA seasons, instead of just sitting and waiting for a year for the manga to get enough of a lead again. Season of MHA, season of Vigilantes, back and forth. Probably still with a season's worth of blank space in between to give the animators room to breath, but you know.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 10, 2020

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
They've actually been leaving themselves plenty enough lead time with the year gap between runs to not really worry too much about catching up. I would expect the next season to cover everything up to just before the current arc, probably ending with the kid's time at Endeavor's agency since that has a pretty open ending but sufficiently flashy climax.

Also, the main series is better when it focuses in on a handful of characters usually, as in scope. The advantage Vigilantes has is that it's always that, it's just the small core group and some supporting characters, but almost always has one of the main 3 on screen and I'm invested in what they're doing. Can't say the same about Momo and Gigantomachia, both secondary characters and both talked up a whole bunch by other people with not a whole lot to back it up.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm trying to think of a good studio for animating Vigilantes that isn't BONES.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

RatHat posted:

koichi could absolutely fly, he was able to as a baby, his mothers actions basically beat it out of him. his power is absolutely broken

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Shere posted:

Also, the main series is better when it focuses in on a handful of characters usually, as in scope. ...

Explosive take here but I think Bakugo was a mistake. The dynamic between Deku and Shoto could've been plenty to carry the series, along with their mirroring/inverse upbringings.

Bakugo as the third vertex would be fine *if* the series didn't have an absolute ton of characters. As it is it means the main trio get significantly less focus, individually, than if it was a main duo. And I think as a result Bakugo's character has suffered the most from this deficit. When's the last time he got significant focus and growth that wasn't just him leaning more and more into his one-note personality?

exit: fixed Todoroki's name, oops

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 10, 2020

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The events right before this with him and Deku teaming up against Shigaraki?

E: It was like happening 3 chapters ago.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The events right before this with him and Deku teaming up against Shigaraki?

E: It was like happening 3 chapters ago.

That's just Bakugo continuing to be one-note Bakugo, which is what I was trying to get at. He insists he won't let anyone show him up and drops a giant blast on Shigaraki, after ignoring Deku and following him because he won't let Deku show him up, etc.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Him working with Deku is a pretty big step because this is definitely not how he acted when they fought All Might. The only point he gets really mad is when Deku's telling him to stay out of this because it's dangerous otherwise he's being pretty mature about teaming up.

Like man can't believe there's people actually falling for Bakugo's act of how he totally still doesn't care about Deku as they work together to take out the bad guy.

E: Like, he had this whole inner monologue about how he's a loser who caused All Might to lose his powers and he needs to be better or else Deku will surpass him. It's like standard rival stuff but honestly it's more than Deku's getting.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SKULL.GIF posted:

That's just Bakugo continuing to be one-note Bakugo, which is what I was trying to get at. He insists he won't let anyone show him up and drops a giant blast on Shigaraki, after ignoring Deku and following him because he won't let Deku show him up, etc.

Bakugo 's willingly working with and giving pointers to Deku, to the point he's running in to something way way way above his head to back him up(And not show him up) is the exact opposite of the character he was at the start.

He's still boisterous but he's way way more developed than any other member of the cast that isn't the actual protagonist of all might. It's refreshingly subtle character development compared to most shonen manga where you'd have the rival basically be a whole new character.

That's the opposite of one note, and is in fact Hori's most deft bit of character writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Don't know how well an animated version of Vigilantes would go over with mainstream audiences when it starts off with a college grad hanging out with a high school junior whose rear end is hanging out all the time in costume but technically it's in Shonen Jump so maybe they could get away with it?