Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Regalingualius posted:

On the minus, they’re being hired to rehash a show that now has a fuckton of baggage attached to it, instead of getting a chance to take a chance with whipping up another new show.

Yeah, yeah, I know that the network wants to play it safe, but... maybe at least remake another show that wasn’t created by a guy that they’ve been busy trying to scrub out of their history as much as possible?

They could have also picked up any of the pilots for series that are not made by child groomers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
They could have, but they didn't, so since this is going forward might as well hope they can make lemonade out of a giant lemon

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, and what little we do see if that is actually an interesting dynamic. Especially since this isn't a case of teaming up with a supervillain anymore, since Doof has reformed, but they have different styles of mad science.

The movie is being treated as a sort of 'lost episode', which seems to take place towards the end of season 4, so Doof isn't quite reformed yet.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

fractalairduct posted:

The movie is being treated as a sort of 'lost episode', which seems to take place towards the end of season 4, so Doof isn't quite reformed yet.

Ah, figures. Is still interesting seeing Doof try to figure out how to leverage his mad science into a purpose in life, with Perry basically being his parole officer. Also liked the ep where Doof follows Milo around for a day trying to understand how his curse works, to compare it to Doof's own incredibly bad luck. Mostly because it's the closest thing he's ever done to actual science.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On the subject of revivals, the Animaniacs reboot will begin on Hulu November 20th:

https://bleedingcool.com/tv/animaniacs-yakko-wakko-dot-pinky-the-brain-have-something-to-say/

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
The Owl House got gay.

It's glorious.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I Am Fowl posted:

The Owl House got gay.

It's glorious.

"got"

Always love when this show busts out the Good animation, that final fight was good as hell

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
So anyway the finale for Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was yesterday, it was very anime and cheesy but I like it anime and cheesy. Also I'm kind of annoyed because the show was axed halfway through season 2 and from what I'm hearing it was screwed over by Nickelodeon every step of the way. Godspeed you weird little cartoon.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

YggiDee posted:

So anyway the finale for Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was yesterday, it was very anime and cheesy but I like it anime and cheesy. Also I'm kind of annoyed because the show was axed halfway through season 2 and from what I'm hearing it was screwed over by Nickelodeon every step of the way. Godspeed you weird little cartoon.

Can you think of a more likely combination than Nick and screwing over anything anime-like?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Why the hell would anybody pitch their show to Nickelodeon at this point? They have hosed over literally every property they've worked on for the last 20 years with shocking consistency.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
In my defense, I'm in Canada and I was watching it on Netflix, I didn't know Nickelodeon was involved until I went online to figure out what the gently caress was going on with the scheduling.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

readingatwork posted:

Why the hell would anybody pitch their show to Nickelodeon at this point? They have hosed over literally every property they've worked on for the last 20 years with shocking consistency.

In the case of TMNT, since they own it, they’re pretty much forced to if they wanna do it. Still sucks that the show got canned when it clearly has a ton more life in it, but at the very least there’s still the Netflix movie to look forward to

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

You know something? Ann's right sock must be the toughest sock in existence to have survived this far.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

readingatwork posted:

But hey they're reviving Ren and Stimpy arghghblarg.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I Am Fowl posted:

The Owl House got gay.

It's glorious.

If anyone hadn't picked up the bi vibes, I think Amity's formalwear should take care of it.

I'm also glad they're finally addressing the MOM SITUATION.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Regalingualius posted:

Can you think of a more likely combination than Nick and screwing over anything anime cartoon-like?

It seems like Nick is only interested in lovely live action sitcoms (based on the very few times I flip by it these days)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

mycot posted:

But hey they're reviving Ren and Stimpy arghghblarg.

Ren and Stimpy is heading for Comedy Central like the Bevis and Butthead and Clone High revivals not Nick. Comedy Central, MTV, and Nickelodeon are all Viacom properties though.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

TwoPair posted:

It seems like Nick is only interested in lovely live action sitcoms (based on the very few times I flip by it these days)

This is just full circle. Bring on the Cousin Skeeter reboot.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Really liked Rise of the TMNT's finale. Definitely felt like a bunch of things were planned out for a whole season and put together in those first 3 episodes, but it worked if just rushed at parts. I cried at parts.

It's just amazing how bad Nick screws over a show. Like, CN did that to the Wacky Racers reboot by sticking it to Boomerang and then some sub-Boomerang thing, but Nick just does it so consistently that the outliers are the shows that do get a normal run. At least any other network would've had the decency to give a full second season instead of cutting it in half mid production. But this is the network that sat on two tv movies for a year before dumping them to netflix.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Grunkle Stan croaked in Amphibia.

By which I mean he's totally dead.

readingatwork posted:

I think it owns the rights to TMNT on TV, and they were genuinely putting a lot of talented people on the project and giving them a lot of money to do it, so I have no idea why they'd just decide to take the great thing they have going and axe it.

I don't know what business they think they're in, but it feels like they just plain don't want to be making cartoons beyond the safe and unambitious things that they've had going for 15 years. Maybe there's some weird thing at Viacom where Nick needs to keep its head down for some reason and can't risk competing with the other channels for non-child demographics.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

MorningMoon posted:

Really liked Rise of the TMNT's finale. Definitely felt like a bunch of things were planned out for a whole season and put together in those first 3 episodes, but it worked if just rushed at parts. I cried at parts.

The animation in Rise is amazing.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Luz's Mom: Yeah my daughter doesn't know how to spell her own name and writes like an alien learning how to be human from watching sitcoms.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Grunkle Stan croaked in Amphibia.

By which I mean he's totally dead.

Don't worry, it's just wax.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

kidcoelacanth posted:

"got"

Always love when this show busts out the Good animation, that final fight was good as hell

Alright, confirmed for gay.

Here's the fight! Spoilers for the ending of the latest Owl House, obviously. https://theartsynoodle.tumblr.com/post/625897970791038976/the-scene-from-enchanting-grom-fright

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

thelaughingman posted:

The sequence where Raph and Leo get Naruto and Minato's moveset was excellent, but the part where it was Simon vs the Anti-spiral was godlike.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

Owl House is super gay, right? Only three episodes in, but it's clearly very gay.

Beachcomber posted:

Not that I've noticed?

Ariza posted:

That's creepy. You're creepy.

cant cook creole bream posted:

I didn't see that at all. No clue what you are seeing there. Unless you mean gay as in sparkly and girlish, then kinda?

BioEnchanted posted:

On a less creepy note,

Okay, first, called it.
Second, called out.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I still don't see it with regards to the first three episodes and will keep my stance that claiming that Luz's summer camp is code for a gay conversion therapy is strenuous at best. I don't really think Amity was crushing on her from the start either.

That being said, I do like those adorable dorks and sort of wonder how long Lux stays oblivious.

Also, who wrote those letters home? I don't know anyone who had an actual motive. Maybe some scheme by the pig guy?
I liked how the one you could read specified that they're learning about mortgages and that the sender misspelled her name.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Getting some big nonbinary energy from Luz. And of course you got Eda wearing a suit to fantasy prom, reminds me of Catra. (Though she does mention ex-boyfriends. And you can't convince me one of them wasn't Stanford)

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://twitter.com/DanaTerrace/status/1292321440029478917

https://twitter.com/DanaTerrace/status/1292321441363288064

https://twitter.com/DanaTerrace/status/1292327747944099840

:hellyeah:

edit: https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/1292328558921003009

Pakled fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 9, 2020

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

This one's in reply to the previous tweet but I think it deserves a special mention here:

https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/1292333340414992384
Very relevant since Hirsch mentioned a few specific incidents like this before, but also wow at the subtle insidiousness of not wanting a paper trail so that there's no hard evidence that Disney TVA's S&P explicitly forbade LGBT representations on their shows. Not like it's news to anyone, but to me at least it adds another layer to the story. It's not only that they specifically didn't allow it, they also knew they'd be raked over the coals for it so they made sure no evidence of such a policy exists.

Another tweet of Hirsch's mentions his email strategy of simply replying "why." at requests like these since they obviously can't just come out and say it on the record, which causes them to scramble and try to figure out another angle to get whatever they don't like nixed. Kind of unsurprising but also a little frustrating to see that despite general societal progress since when Gravity Falls was airing, Disney TVA leadership was still insistent on no LGBT main characters or major relationships as late as 2018, or maybe even 2019 and it took serious efforts from a showrunner just to get the okay for it.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
They've been doing this with a show on Disney Junior with a show called Tots: the main characters will deliver let's say a Joey to two moms or a Kid to two dads, and they won't explicitly say the gender. The only thing they haven't done is sent a baby animal to an inter-species couple.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

thelaughingman posted:

I can't find the clip on youtube, but I just saw a clip where everyone is fighting Shredder and the fight choreography is amazing.

Definitely anticipating the animation studio's next project.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Electric Phantasm posted:

I can't find the clip on youtube, but I just saw a clip where everyone is fighting Shredder and the fight choreography is amazing.

Apparently the good poo poo is all hiding on Twitter

https://twitter.com/enjoy_rottmnt/status/1197618183391367168?s=19

https://twitter.com/enjoy_rottmnt/status/1285318564535316481?s=19

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

I’m usually one of the “meh..who cares” kind of jerks when it comes to LGBT themes.

Edit:
Not in a horribly cold and insensitive manner though.

thelaughingman fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 9, 2020

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Theres still a movie coming to Netflix, so theres that.

Anyway, Owl House was super gay from the getgo and people saying its weird to note its gay are the creeps.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

thelaughingman posted:

I’m usually one of the “meh..who cares” kind of jerks when it comes to LGBT themes.

Edit:
Not in a horribly cold and insensitive manner though.

lol

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

BTW The Owl House is actually pretty bad, but I'm glad they're still pushing the frontier in some regard. Disney TVA was always stuck in the past compared to literally every other branch of Disney but it's even more noticeable now. Not that Disney otherwise is exactly doing famously well when it comes to LGBT representation either, but still.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

cant cook creole bream posted:

Also, who wrote those letters home? I don't know anyone who had an actual motive. Maybe some scheme by the pig guy?
I liked how the one you could read specified that they're learning about mortgages and that the sender misspelled her name.

IMO it's the camp. Their options are to say 'hey, we lost your kid' or do exactly what it's teaching the kids there to do, which is to maintain a false image of being normal no matter what. Losing a kid isn't normal, happy kid sending letters home is.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I like how the fear monster is apparently a secret sweetheart, breaking from its established pattern and choosing a nondistinct form that would maximize Amity's fear while minimizing her public embarrassment.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Anybody know who did the animation for the fight/dance for this episode of Owl House?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Spencer Wan, who's now working on Spider-Verse 2.

https://twitter.com/SpencerWan/status/1292313591043878912?s=19