Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

golden kamuy is huge, time to capitalize on it and have noda reboot supinamarada for a multimedia push

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Aurora posted:

stay safe fam

ah i meant cooking not boozing but yeah its deep trump country

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Space Flower posted:

*starts rambling off touhou doujin artist names*

Well? We're waiting.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Furnaceface posted:

What if I send in a picture that contains all 3 of my cats?

be prepared for a really hosed up picture of your cats loving melting together or some poo poo

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm four episodes into Dragonball Z and so far almost nothing has happened.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

that's weird since that's all of raditz

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm four episodes into Dragonball Z and so far almost nothing has happened.

why are you watching Z and not Kai? Unless that’s what you meant, then sorry

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Aurora posted:

that's weird since that's all of raditz

Yeah stuff finally happened in episode 4.

Last Celebration posted:

why are you watching Z and not Kai? Unless that’s what you meant, then sorry

I didn't watch it in the 90s when I was a sullen teenager and I'm correcting that mistake as a sullen adult. I just feel like I'm not getting the true experience if I watch an edited-down version.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Aug 9, 2020

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

If you want the true experience then you have to watch from Raditz to when Goku shows up on Namek on repeat about 4 times before moving on.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
you really don't need to watch the original version of Z

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

DoubleDonut posted:

you really don't need to watch the original version of Z

This. Kai is just a better paced version of dbz.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Kai isn't on Funimation's streaming service.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I didn't watch it in the 90s when I was a sullen teenager and I'm correcting that mistake as a sullen adult. I just feel like I'm not getting the true experience if I watch an edited-down version.

Like Juilas said, Kai isn’t an edited down version of the original it’s cutting out all the padding and filler to make it closer to the manga so it becomes what the original was supposed to be. Think of it more as making it like Hunter x Hunter or My Hero Academia which are mostly pretty close to the comic.

Plus the voices are 95% the same just with noticeably better voice direction so it’s not like you’re losing much

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

unlike sailor moon, i haven't heard much/any praise for dbz's filler

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the "true experience" of dbz is getting home from school and rewatching the namek arc for the fifth time, but getting really disappointed when its a power up episode

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

homeless snail posted:

the "true experience" of dbz is getting home from school and rewatching the namek arc for the fifth time, but getting really disappointed when its a power up episode

I’m really grateful that I erased this part of the series from my mind or just never got into it when it was a problem. I’m kind of jelly that there were a whole generation of kids who got a barely edited version of Kai on kid’s TV to grow up with

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Watch today’s episode because the preview last time was for garlic jr, but it’s just gone back to goku vs burter for some reason

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
One of the things I really appreciate about Sailor Moon is that Mako is good at “girly” stuff too instead of being just a roughneck, I think a lot of shows even now would have her character type be bad at stuff like cooking and ice skating so it’s a refreshing anti-cliche.

Also I just watched a episode where two ice skaters with bad vaguely European accents turn into monsters and use their coordinated evil monster ice skating powers to style on Sailor Moon. This show feels almost like a parody of itself half the time and it owns

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

kai sucks because all the reanimated scenes look like dogshit

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

homeless snail posted:

For a solid year or two I thought DBZ ended with Vegeta blowing himself up against Buu because the next episode on Toonami was the first episode. The series started over again so it must have ended there was my conclusion. I mean, it felt like a big, climactic ending.

And I don't really talk about DB much anymore but I was curious if Kai is even still a thing. Do people actually like it or remember it anymore?

The only thing I remember is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPZr3vtP6ww

Easily the highlight of the whole thing and definitely better than in the original.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

For a solid year or two I thought DBZ ended with Vegeta blowing himself up against Buu because the next episode on Toonami was the first episode. The series started over again so it must have ended there was my conclusion. I mean, it felt like a big, climactic ending.

And I don't really talk about DB much anymore but I was curious if Kai is even still a thing. Do people actually like it or remember it anymore?

The only thing I remember is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPZr3vtP6ww

Easily the highlight of the whole thing and definitely better than in the original.

There’s not really a need to talk about it since it’s the definite way to watch a 20 year old cartoon and Kai itself is like a good 7-8 years old (aside from the Buu arc which aired like 3-4 years ago despite being dubbed right after the Cell arc). It only comes up as an extension of Dragonball discussion pretty much

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
We also have a Dragon Balls Ubpperthread, which is fairly active and filled with all sorts of goony opinions in the matter.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

scary ghost dog posted:

tower of god (manhwa) is even shittier than tokyo ghoul (manga)

Man it really has been disappointing to go from the really tightly plotted anime season to the manhwa for tower of god.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
The only downside to Kai is that it doesn't have the driving test episode(s).

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nitrousoxide posted:

Man it really has been disappointing to go from the really tightly plotted anime season to the manhwa for tower of god.

I started to read it years ago b/c people talked it up and it was just bad. Really have never understood what the appeal was.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
the square for tomoe mami...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lmao

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Coaaab posted:

what's the list of notable mangaka who've never gotten anime of their work?
Morishima Akiko never getting an anime but doing work for an ikuhara anime and barely anyone acknowledging her involvement and acting like ikuhara is the genius who came up with yurikuma all on his own, is an example of mediocre men speaking over women

Also yurikuma sucked but morishimas manga of it was okay so i just assume everything i dont like about it was by ikuhara, like a normal person

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgsOegjrpbk

Also, missing Beatrice and Luvia is a crime. :colbert:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrU-zjWkSbA

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the new animation in kai is bad, it's just the price you pay for a way to watch the series in reasonable time

that and you lose the original op/eds

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

just read the manga

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Dragonball manga is good and has a minimum of filler scenes of dudes powering up.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I'd be curious to see what percentage of people who haved watched DBZ have ever read any manga.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

probably the same percentage of people who've read manga in general. it's become pretty mainstream--my high school had a bunch in the comics section, as did my library

Elephant Parade fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 9, 2020

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

CubeTheory posted:

I'd be curious to see what percentage of people who haved watched DBZ have ever read any manga.

weird elitist flexing in this post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Elephant Parade posted:

probably the same percentage of people who've read manga in general. it's become pretty mainstream--my high school had a bunch in the comics sextion, as did my library

what about before 2001