Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

the tomato forest

this pic is like two weeks old and its even thicker now, i'll get a better pic tomorrow when the sun returns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
My peanuts’ growth (:razz:) isn’t spectacular, but they’re volunteers and they’re not dying, so I can’t complain too much.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Qurnah posted:

finally did some weeding

yup those are blisters on my wrist, goddamn stinging nettles

gonna eat them nettles?

Sylink posted:

the tomato forest

this pic is like two weeks old and its even thicker now, i'll get a better pic tomorrow when the sun returns.

holy moly :eyepop:

Qurnah
May 9, 2008

every treumpo you take
and every trumoe you make
Grimey Drawer

Sylink posted:

the tomato forest

so the swimming pool is for marinara sauce?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
That is

A lot of tomatoes

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
holy poo poo

twoday
May 4, 2005

I have the perfect recipe for you, it’s very simple but somehow listening to an elderly Italian man spend 15 minutes explaining it makes it magical

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfANZyY2fDU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

he doesn't preserve the sauce in any way :stare:

I like him anyway

twoday
May 4, 2005

If you boil the jars afterwards it should kill all the bacteria inside and make them shelf-stable

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

twoday posted:

If you boil the jars afterwards it should kill all the bacteria inside and make them shelf-stable

yes, he should be processing them like that. but he doesn't. dozens of quarts every year :stare:

sorry I know I'm a buzzkill but as a canner this scares me

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I prefer to blanch and skin the tomatoes before saucing them, it also gives you a nice look at the flesh before you start making the sauce in case there's any booboos that weren't visible from the outside which is a lot more important when you're doing gardened tomatoes instead of costco cases

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Have seen that italian guy, he is cool. I have recipes from my pressure canner, and I plan to make paste for a lot, because sauce tends to use about 4-5lbs per quart, whole is like 3, then paste uses like 15 lbs or something ridiculous per quart, so i can do that in pints and get more out of less jars.

This is cool https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV5oqHYjjjc

I would do that for paste but here I think bugs would be all over immediately. I have about 80 quart jars and 30 pint jars ready. Also hoping to put a bunch out front and sell them for like $1/lb in 10lb + increments

On to updated pics

Some other tomatoes I have growing:

The forest now, with pumpkins starting to take over

hill side with tomatoes and flanked by pumpkins and okra, with some sweet corn. Carrots are torn up near the bottom

And 20lbs of carrots I finally pulled, taste terrible raw but cook up just fine. The heat hosed the flavor

EDIT: Also for sauce etc, it helps to add citric acid in the sauce before canning but I think its not absolutely needed.

Sylink has issued a correction as of 01:46 on Aug 9, 2020

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Crusty Nutsack posted:

yes, he should be processing them like that. but he doesn't. dozens of quarts every year :stare:

sorry I know I'm a buzzkill but as a canner this scares me

They are so acidic it may not matter, and they might even ferment a bit ?

also love the sauce guy just throwing a football at his wife

twoday
May 4, 2005

I have no idea how well sauce guy’s sauce compares to other sauces, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s actually not the “perfect” way to make sauce, but I nevertheless admire his intense sauce-making energy

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Sylink posted:

the old school way to seal canned goods is just to sanitize the jars and lids, pack them with hot food, then turn them upside down until they cool. the vacuum naturally forms as the product cools, keeping the lid on. yes, tomatoes are acidic enough that doing it this way hasn't killed him or his family yet. BUT, he also doesn't even bother with sanitizing the jars or lids. I would be very curious to know how many jars each year form a nice layer of mold or have a popped lid button

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that's the canary!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Crusty Nutsack posted:

the old school way to seal canned goods is just to sanitize the jars and lids, pack them with hot food, then turn them upside down until they cool. the vacuum naturally forms as the product cools, keeping the lid on. yes, tomatoes are acidic enough that doing it this way hasn't killed him or his family yet. BUT, he also doesn't even bother with sanitizing the jars or lids. I would be very curious to know how many jars each year form a nice layer of mold or have a popped lid button

you don't have to turn them upside down, they'll suck the lid down sitting right side up

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I prefer pressure canning to water boiling, you dont have to sterilize anything because you cook the poo poo out of it.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Peanut President posted:

you don't have to turn them upside down, they'll suck the lid down sitting right side up

yeah I know. lots of olds used to though :shrug:

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

got more tomatos in than I can eat so I'm going to make a pot of sauce. I'm not going to can it. I'm not even going to serve it with noodles, I'm going to eat it with a spoon

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

go get sprayed by a skunk just so you can bathe in it

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

for those wondering why im growing a dumb amount of food, its because i am exploring starting a market garden for a farmers market stand for next season and this is basically practice

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

yo these god drat tomatoes need to start turning so I can pick them, the plants are all lying sideways because I didn't really stake them properly.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Sylink posted:

yo these god drat tomatoes need to start turning so I can pick them, the plants are all lying sideways because I didn't really stake them properly.

:same:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it hasn't rained in a month and my hose isn't very long so i'm hauling 30 gallons a day to a few pepper plants

i need an afternoon sun screen or something

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

i say swears online posted:

it hasn't rained in a month and my hose isn't very long so i'm hauling 30 gallons a day to a few pepper plants

goon de florette

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sylink posted:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The Voice of Labor posted:

goon de florette

holy poo poo dude lol

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Sylink posted:

if you're doing big rows like that try using a florida weave, especially if you're single stemming them for stakes already anyway

it'll seem like a huge pain in the rear end at first, but it's waaaaaaay easier than managing individual stakes for a fuckton of plants

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I tied mine up in rows, the lovely tomato stakes gave out under the weight of the tomatos and I lost 1/2 my early girls. make sure you use powerful stakes

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

if you're doing big rows like that try using a florida weave, especially if you're single stemming them for stakes already anyway

it'll seem like a huge pain in the rear end at first, but it's waaaaaaay easier than managing individual stakes for a fuckton of plants

That was my plan initially, but several things happened.

1) I ran out of budget to get the proper posts needed + more string

2) The plants never got tall, they should be like 3 feet tall. They are < 2 feet and instead each grew like 8 huge branches in every direction, still weaveable but not as expected.

3) I have 200 tomato plants, gently caress it.

And mine have been sideways so long they have tertiary levels of backup roots coming out from branches.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

i live an hour from that city, weird

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Sylink posted:

also love the sauce guy just throwing a football at his wife

The acidity isn't enough all by itself, you can still get mold and possibly botulism unless you use either acidity and steam/water canning or else go with pressure canning. Pressure canning gives you more flexibility as you might not want a lot of acidity in some tomato products. That guy is either lucky or magically gifted at canning sauce.

Squash growers - if you get tired of the fruits themselves don't forget that the leaves, tender vines and flowers of summer and winter squashes are very tasty - zucchini leaf frittata for dinner tonight, was fantastic.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Really? They seem kinda spikey to me.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I need to make an onion tower.

No instructions were provided for that one. Form a cylinder with plastic (weed barrier?) punch holes, surround with chicken wire, I guess?

This one uses straw.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

GANDHITRON posted:

Really? They seem kinda spikey to me.

Not the big old tough leaves and main vines, the young soft ones. Any roughness goes away and they wilt right down when you blanch them or get them into a hot skillet.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

anyone ever grow saffron bulbs?

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Platystemon posted:

I need to make an onion tower.

No instructions were provided for that one. Form a cylinder with plastic (weed barrier?) punch holes, surround with chicken wire, I guess?

This one uses straw.

reminds me of an oyster mushroom cultivation setup... could do a small scale one with a 5 gallon bucket with holes drilled in it

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

the time of the tomato is ending, the time of the pumpkin has come

Still not ripe, gently caress you tomatoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

i say swears online posted:

anyone ever grow saffron bulbs?

I haven't. But I do know they are relatively easy to grow; however, if you intend to harvest it for the spice, it takes 150 blossoms to make a single gram of saffron and tens of thousands to make an ounce.