Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I hate this

e: dog tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009
kidney stone buoyancy is coming in the next patch ~pyon

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

WhyteRyce posted:

Remember when some people online said mean things about Sandi so they had her get up on stage and give a teary eyed speech and gave her a bouquet of flowers to a standing applause

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lammasu posted:

That's another thing about Star Citizen I don't get. Most game micro transactions are based on instant gratification, but with these ships even if the thing was on the up and up are YEARS off yet people keep poring money into it.

If you consider that the game is actually outside the game and it's all about bragging online about how much you have spent then things become clearer.

"Investing" into SC makes you feel smarter, way above the plebs who don't understand game development. The more you spend, the more you know.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

I wish he would return to making giant boxes full of fans into computers. :sigh:

Well, this is a particularly bad time to be a virtual bunny girl online, Pekora has the market cornered.

At least he'll have a few dozen pillowcases to keep him company.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

colonelwest posted:

Yeah I think it’s why the haven’t put in a single hint of sexuality into the game, not even a racy advert. They know the inevitable consequences of pouring any fuel onto that fire. The next thing you know the top post on Spectrum will be a demand for a $1000 sex dungeon ship.

They fed the whole "mature, adult space game for adults" early on when they needed that market to survive. This spawned all kinds of stuff like rape guy and the Stimpire guy. Everybody thought it would be some sort of hyper adult type game; though maybe not necessarily sexual in nature, sort of like a mature Blade Runner atmosphere with the story type level of Witcher.

This whole thing spawned all kinds of creepiness around needing bathrooms everywhere and that lust-filled energy to try to get bathrooms everywhere. Finally about a year and a half ago some dev came out and called people out about all the bathroom nonsense, and like everything else it has taken a back seat.

Today though, they don't mention that stuff, and are very much aiming for the Teen rating.

Which makes this thing funnier because it's a bunch of adults spending way too much money on a video game for kids, aimed at kids, and will probably release with the lewd-factor off having one of those silhouettes of a girl (no nipples) on some windows for building you can never go into.

The creepy second life in space dream is pretty dead. Today they're just trying to barf our new content without fixing anything they barfed it last patch so marketing can talk about all the amazing new things they have now. None of which Will ever work good unless they nail it that first release.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Spiderdrake posted:

I think we'll start seeing it now that Sandi is gone, but her terrifying influence is what probably kept that out, since backers were supposed to worship her and not other bepubed women.

I believe she was actually an influence there rather than a detractor. Remember she came from a, ahem, seedy history. They released stuff like her posing naked wrapped in an in-game flag, had developed some interesting one-on-one diatribes with some high-level backers, etc.

Since her leaving, devs called out this stuff, the lewd stuff is heavily reduced, and there is no longer her interacting with backers getting them all worked up for this game if their dreams that will feature anything their creepy hearts can dream up.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

https://i.imgur.com/JxaJWdx.gifv

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Good god, they are now doing pledges for stuffed animals. This is a pre-order that still has not shipped.

This is the first thing they have ever produced that I want!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Kitfox88 posted:

Not enough furries but yes it’s hilarious that all the amazing role play poo poo could be emulated 95% by just making an SL world with sci fi themes and then making it so pushing a button in your E:D hanger booted up SL, while still being infinitely smoother and less jank

Back in the day, the project has a time where it did target the second life group. Right down to heavily customizable servers where you could build your own stuff.

In fact, you can still buy the manual on their site to tell you how to build your own custom server.

At some point in time, Star Citizen has appealed to every demographic, with the intent of getting money from everybody.

From second life, to ARMA, to Elite, to CoD, to rpgs, to mmorpgs, to people who want to build a house, to pole do want build a massive Eve org, to hard core DCS simmers, to whatever you can think of.

So what all those promises boil down into is a janky space game and a fidelitous walking simulator with survival mechanics. :shrug:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

The Chris and Sandi Show™ was definitely a driving factor behind the amount of money they've been able to steal. If the powers that be thought those two were still important to keep on camera to keep emptying wallets, they would be. So someone, somewhere decided that either their appearances are now harmful rather than helpful, or that they're willing to take the financial hit if it means distancing them from the project, thus improving its chances.

One way or the other, it wasn't accidental, and it wasn't CIG's call.

I'm pretty sure the current mindset of the people running the show is to shift "Star Citizen is going to be awesome because Chris Roberts is involved and rubbing the show!" to "Star Citizen is going to be awesome because CIG as a company is awesome!"

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

And yet it's interesting you make such arguments.

Seems your missing some information.

Alpha 3.10 which mean what?

8 years and two games....

300m and again two games....

It's not a new argument. It is interesting the new spin the detractors seem to want to make and argue they have "facts"

It's also perpetually interesting how the same refund users popup to harass users with good information. Then cry that their opinions... Which often leave out critical information is good and wholesome content.

Your not a messenger. Your probably another throwaway account

Two whole posts! WOW! Amazing! Which you magically comment in this hidden comment... Same bullshit every time....

Reddit investigator is so useful.

130 phimvest

36 watch people die inside

25 offline tv

Instant karma

It's like the standard for easy karma farming....

quote:

I'm not very emotional.

However it's interesting how deep you get into items to make the same tired arguments.

You argue no facts. But don't seem to have any...

Doesn't change anything?

Yes it does. Why should you be allowed to lie and steal votes.

Obey the tos.

You then go back to half lies.

Two games and a growing staff over several years.

Blah blah blah. Filler filler filler.

You said facts. You can't even get number right or a metric to base your numbers on.

Bets are your the vote minipulate.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Are they making any effort to attract new... players? Suckers? at this point? Or are they just all in on milking the whales?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
My favorite part of all the open development and public roadmaps was watching the progression of Theaters of War slowly get developed and make progress!

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

The Titanic posted:

Today though, they don't mention that stuff, and are very much aiming for the Teen rating.

Well it makes sense, fat forty-something web developers might be a rich source of $300 million seed money, but none of them are going to live to see the game released. Get the kids involved and you’ll have another 30 or 40 years of milking.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Hav posted:

Coming out of the oceans was a mistake.

:clint:

Come on back to the ocean. Water is great. :)

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Sunswipe posted:

Are they making any effort to attract new... players? Suckers? at this point? Or are they just all in on milking the whales?

Yes!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Solarin posted:

Star citien is a absolute poo poo product made by an ultra dysfunctional company that's just a god drat mess top to bottom. what the hell

CIG: Good at taking your money to make themselves rich, bad at making games

I wish I could see the disdain somebody like Sandi likely has for all the greasy nerds funding her Hollywood adventures today.

Even the current staff at CIG can't help but let their contempt show for the backers.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

It's kinda worrisome that I can not only recognize the redditors based on what they write but how they write it.

drat

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

I said come in! posted:

So watching that hour long video, basically what Star Citizen has been this entire time, is a live reality TV show on Youtube. There is no game really (at least not one that will go beyond what is available now), but rather CIG is a TV show production company who's flagship product is creating a show about creating the dream of the ultimate video game. Its integrated into a fake crowdfunding campaign where players can buy imaginary ships that will never exist in the game, but its used to fund the TV show.

This is pretty hugely correct. This was used very heavily to get some people some nice IMDb padding, and involve themselves with some movie star power to work with.

Naturally, that was completed very early on in the history of the game.

It's almost like greed and self-service and using other people to get ahead are/were core values of the founders.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

MedicineHut posted:

Counterpoint, Elite sucks balls.

If Elite sucks balls Star Citizen is king of suck balls mountain.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The Titanic posted:

I believe she was actually an influence there rather than a detractor. Remember she came from a, ahem, seedy history. They released stuff like her posing naked wrapped in an in-game flag, had developed some interesting one-on-one diatribes with some high-level backers, etc.
Yes my point was you were supposed to focus on her as the female avatar of SC, not random seedy crap in game. She was the Pusher.

I still can't get over that callsign. There's the contempt encapsulated from day one.

On the other hand I think it's important to bear in mind CIG does everything at such a glacial pace who knows when influence begins and ends. Like people will often say "Looks like Chris just saw X game!" and like, I don't think that company can rapidly pivot to put out anything with recent influence. Then again, maybe stuff just randomly shakes out or doesn't. But how far back did the bartender start development? These are slowly moving icebergs of development.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sunswipe posted:

Yes, that's why they immediately reacted to the news about citizens discontent as soon as it left the safe zones of reddit and spectrum.

They have adopted your basic F2P model where they know that, no matter how lovely the game is, a certain percentage of suckers will spend thousands of dollars as long as they play a few minutes. That's why the do free plays 3-4 per year.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fidelitious posted:

I totally forgot that they had a new marketing person. And he actually has experience as a marketing person, crazy.
And coming from marketing at Perfect World Entertainment he has direct experience with marketing really lovely MMOs.

Ah, so perfect so Star Citizen!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Spiderdrake posted:

Yes my point was you were supposed to focus on her as the female avatar of SC, not random seedy crap in game. She was the Pusher.

I still can't get over that callsign. There's the contempt encapsulated from day one.

On the other hand I think it's important to bear in mind CIG does everything at such a glacial pace who knows when influence begins and ends. Like people will often say "Looks like Chris just saw X game!" and like, I don't think that company can rapidly pivot to put out anything with recent influence. Then again, maybe stuff just randomly shakes out or doesn't. But how far back did the bartender start development? These are slowly moving icebergs of development.

Well, they copied the death standing backpacks in weeks. So at least on the asset side (the only one they have shown to be capable at) they do seem able of stealing quickly.

Gameplay is a whole different story, of course.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

The Titanic posted:

I'm pretty sure the current mindset of the people running the show is to shift "Star Citizen is going to be awesome because Chris Roberts is involved and rubbing the show!" to "Star Citizen is going to be awesome because CIG as a company is awesome!"

I'm pretty sure this is a typo- but it's perfect either way!

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

trucutru posted:

Well, this is a particularly bad time to be a virtual bunny girl online, Pekora has the market cornered.

At least he'll have a few dozen pillowcases to keep him company.

Ha↗️Ha↘️Ha↗️Ha↘️Ha↗️Ha↘️

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Joke time -

Why did Sandi not make it as a Hollywood actress?

Because when it came to the audition, she choked.

:sandance:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Insert monthly post about how all I wanted was a single player Wing Commander inspired video game but next-gen. That is all they had to provide me to get me on board, even with the cringy as gently caress Gary Oldman poo poo, I would have been happy.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
What the gently caress is this now?

CHARACTER BECOMES A PINK BALL WHEN GAME COMMITS TO HIGH RAM USAGE

quote:

ACTUAL RESULT

Character becomes pink ball in 3rd person, but can still interact with objects and NPC's even after death.

EXPECTED RESULT

Character should always have a body. Pink balls are so 2018.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTdEQyCkuec

I thought maybe this was just the camera bug where it adds an extra view in the middle of space. But they don’t have any hands when they interact with the screens, so I guess maybe they are a pink ball. In space.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

trucutru posted:

Yes, that's why they immediately reacted to the news about citizens discontent as soon as it left the safe zones of reddit and spectrum.

They have adopted your basic F2P model where they know that, no matter how lovely the game is, a certain percentage of suckers will spend thousands of dollars as long as they play a few minutes. That's why the do free plays 3-4 per year.

Isn't the point of a normally F2P game that there's actually something of a game to play? I'm just not seeing how anyone can come to this mess now and think "Yeah, totally worth pumping money into."

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I feel like this is a dumb question but I finally figured I'd just ask it.

I've seen people referring to Mirificus as a bot, but like, there's no explanation or announcement in any of the post histories that I can find. Also the 2004 regdate. So if taken at face value (instead of those being just jokes) I'm assuming someone donated their account to make it happen, and it probably came about back when dsmart's discord was the place to have SC chat?

This is really unimportant, but for whatever reason I feel like its a piece of goon SC lore that I'm missing.

Thuorn
Jul 18, 2020

shrach posted:

Sandi is still a director. Unfortunately your quote stopped just one paragraph too soon. Check out clause 14.3

More board seats CAN be added, but no paperwork has yet to be filed with the added seats. Sandi ISNT on the board as of the approval of this resolution.

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020

That has to be Tommy

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Pixelate posted:

I thought maybe this was just the camera bug where it adds an extra view in the middle of space. But they don’t have any hands when they interact with the screens, so I guess maybe they are a pink ball. In space.

:orb:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Ha↗️Ha↘️Ha↗️Ha↘️Ha↗️Ha↘️

Somehow, in the last month it seems like a good chunk of the internet became aware of the clusterfuck that is hololive. I blame the doggo playing Doom Doog.

Sunswipe posted:

Isn't the point of a normally F2P game that there's actually something of a game to play? I'm just not seeing how anyone can come to this mess now and think "Yeah, totally worth pumping money into."

No, a good chunk of f2p games have zero actual gameplay (See: KanColle, a.k.a. OG Shipfucker), they are actually slow cookie-clickers in disguise where you accumulate stuff to be able to (automatically) clear levels in order to get more stuff. As long as there is something to buy that kinda promises that you'll be able to get ahead faster then there will people dumping thousands on it.

Sooner or later this sort of business model will become heavily regulated since it is actually predatory and destroys a shitload of lives.

Pixelate posted:

I have explained this before but this is an old-rear end bug (at least 5 years old): The core of their character is a ball to which other body parts are attached. If -for whatever reason- you the game cannot attach the pc's torso to the ball then you're left as a stupid floating ball.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Aug 10, 2020

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

MedicineHut posted:

lol @ how tiny, irrelevant and poo poo this is:

everyone's gonna be blown away by the new elevator panel when they finally finish

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

zcrow posted:

Haven't read this thread since before the 'demic. Gotta say though, I do like that snowboarding penguin plush.

So just out of curiosity but what does snowboarding and Star Citizen even have in common? Can you actually snow board? As trademark infringing as it was, at least their star kitten nonsense was actually space-based.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Spiderdrake posted:

I agree. From early on in development she very much wanted to be, and tried very hard to be, the sex symbol of CIG.

And it worked, by helping to gather up people who really wanted to have that trophy wife syndrome. For a very long time the marriage between her and Chris was kept under wraps, possibly so she could perform the role of "available, sexy, nerdy girl" with the intentions of attracting people to support the game.

This is all my speculation, and I don't have any facts to back any of it up. :shrug:

But it worked, also. She had white knights at every turn and then they migrated also to white knighting for CIGs failures from very early on, and helped to build the wonderful environment of people we have today. Built from very early on to be super inclusive, us-vs-them, and fed all along the way that CIG was your family and you were special with them but you have to also provide service outside of just money to defend it.

Today, with CR and Sandi out of the picture, and more focus on CIG as a company rather than some brave indie studios, compiled with marketing tactics that would make EA blush, I'm curious how much longer it'll last. It's still going strong though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I'm pretty sure this is a typo- but it's perfect either way!

Oops. :)