Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Lord Stimperor posted:

Hi everyone! :wave:

This year has shon me that I loving love spending time outdoors. I've mentioned that to my partner and we agreed on trying out camping. I've only been camping twice in my life, and both times were alcohol- and drug-fuelled messes. She's never been. So we thought we'd try it out next month when it's still warm and I might get a few days off work. There's a nice, natury camp ground nearby, so when things go wrong or we notice we forgot things, it's just a 15 minute drive home.

This is the bad boy we got, along with basic sleeping and cooking gear:

I'm also proud owner of an Aeropress, so there'll even be real good coffee during our stay:

It's supposed to be easy to set up, lots of room for us and our small pupper, and relatively resistant against bugs and bad weather. We got it for a very reasonable price (less than 250E), so the loss won't hurt too much if we have to sell. But I'm super super stoked for next month!

....is that how you're supposed to use an Aeropress? I think I've been using it wrong all this time, then....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

....is that how you're supposed to use an Aeropress? I think I've been using it wrong all this time, then....

The picture is showing the inverted method. Many people seem to prefer it. I don't use it except when making cold brew concentrate. That's because when un-inverted, a lot of the concentrate would seep through the filter during the 2 minutes I'm stirring then.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Yeah I prefer the inverted method if you can balance it properly in the field

e: hell yeah aeropress crew. Coffee outside rocks

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

PNW Rain jacket recommendations?

In all likelihood I'll be in the PNW through the winter, near Seattle. I am no avid camper, but I figured y'all would know your stuff.

I'd like an every day jacket I can also take hiking. I don't know what's reasonable to spend for this. Happy to buy used.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I live in Seattle and use a Columbia rain jacket that works great, I bought it from their store in town years ago and re-waterproof it about once a year. It was maybe $100 bucks. I've heard the REI ones are good too and most brands make ones that pack down into one of their own pockets for storage. If you want to also use it to hike I would recommend one with pit vents

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

PokeJoe posted:

I live in Seattle and use a Columbia rain jacket that works great, I bought it from their store in town years ago and re-waterproof it about once a year. It was maybe $100 bucks. I've heard the REI ones are good too and most brands make ones that pack down into one of their own pockets for storage. If you want to also use it to hike I would recommend one with pit vents

How do you waterproof it? I've used stuff you put in the wash before, but that was years ago.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Spray on stuff from amazon I think, my GF buys it. You spritz it on the coat and let it dry, then throw it in your dryer to heat set the coating. Lasts about a year before I need to do it again and I walk a lot in the rain

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ThePopeOfFun posted:

How do you waterproof it? I've used stuff you put in the wash before, but that was years ago.

Washing is the first thing to try, cleaning crud can help the coating to start working again. But if that fails you buy the spray and re-coat the jacket. There's a number of brands out there, no idea if any are better than any others.

We have a thing of nickwax in a cabinet somewhere and it's done the job. Not really an endorsement, it's just the only one I've used and I picked it because it was a little bit cheaper. :shrug:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

ThePopeOfFun posted:

In all likelihood I'll be in the PNW through the winter, near Seattle. I am no avid camper, but I figured y'all would know your stuff.

I'd like an every day jacket I can also take hiking. I don't know what's reasonable to spend for this. Happy to buy used.

Marmot precip is a pretty easy jacket to recommend. It works, it's cheap, easy to find. Goretex is likely overkill but it's a great membrane if you feel like spending more money. If you're going to use it for hiking, look for pit zips. A lot of people think they're soaking through when it's actually sweat.

Nikwax is easy to use. If your jacket waterproofing isn't holding up, first wash your jacket with a technical specific wash to clean it. Regular detergent will likely strip the waterproofing right off. If that didn't work, get some wash in or spray on nikwax. Follow the instructions and run it through the dryer to heat set it. I do this yearly. You can do it in a bucket as well vs using your machine. I will say, I've had more success being liberal with the nikwax. I prefer a bucket for individual items.

I've had a lot of rain jackets from different brands. My outdoor research goretex ones seem to last a long time. The goretex pro is nuclear rainstorm proof but it's crunchy and I wouldn't pay new prices for one if I didn't get it at the warehouse sale. My mountain hardware jackets delaminated the waterproof membrane. I liked my rei jacket but it wetted out frequently no matter the amount I reapplied waterproofing. Marmot precip it's good for the money. Not the best jacket but it works.

But something just big enough that you can still fit layers underneath it. A tight rain jacket is really annoying.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Freaquency posted:

Posting camping dogs itt
Okay. But I have to dig up pics that are a old for sad reasons:

Remember friends, your dog won't tell you when they are getting tired and you can probably hike further than they can despite how energetic they seem.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Pham Nuwen posted:

Ah :rip:, I've got a CJ-7, been thinking about getting a top but dang they're pricey. I'm just sort of watching for sales at this point.

:rip: Good luck. They are stupid expensive. We just bit the bullet with the extra Trump Bucks we got.

Anyone have recommendations for a not super expensive knife to toss in a pack? I have a buck knife my dad bought me when I was like 12, and it works fine, but it's been sharpened so many times I'm starting to lose actual knife mass at this point. Folding or fixed blade is fine, something simple and strong enough to handle batoning wood if needed would be preferred over a multitool situation.

Edit: Recs for foods? For car camping/overnight hikes I really like the retort pouches like Tasty Bites boil in the bag Indian dishes or such like. For multiple nights, that's kind of a lot of excess weight, so I'm looking for something that's cheaper than the freeze dried Good-To-Go packs that I really like but are kinda pricy and out of stock everywhere/

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 10, 2020

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

CopperHound posted:

Okay. But I have to dig up pics that are a old for sad reasons:

Remember friends, your dog won't tell you when they are getting tired and you can probably hike further than they can despite how energetic they seem.

Same, but we just got back from looking at puppies. New camp pooch soon we hope

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

We got this ugly rope leash on a lark. It has multiple rings and hasps on both sides, so you can shorten it / lengthen it by changing the length of the "hand" loop. Usually I can just put it around my waist and it is like a normal 4' leash Or if I want to give her some more space, can run it through my pack wasitbelt / shoulder strap and she's got about 8 feet. She's got a high prey drive, and then the husky "I swear you were just behind me a mile ago" thing.

Shortly after getting her cast off, day hike around Tahoe

Hills behind my house.

Not particularly patriotic. I was more confused by the light. From my house (down in the sprawl below) I can't see the flag, but at nights there's a light. I wanted to know what it was. Someone had rigged up a solar spotlight on it. If I'd brought my boy dog up there he'd have lifted a leg, but sadly he's getting too old.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Casu Marzu posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a not super expensive knife to toss in a pack? I have a buck knife my dad bought me when I was like 12, and it works fine, but it's been sharpened so many times I'm starting to lose actual knife mass at this point. Folding or fixed blade is fine, something simple and strong enough to handle batoning wood if needed would be preferred over a multitool situation.

Stainless morakniv is cheap, strong, and simple. Carbon steel is cheaper, but I'm gonna abuse my knife and don't want to worry about it rusting as much. It's $20 vs $10, and you can treat the carbon steel if you're worried but whatevs.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Rotten Cookies posted:

Stainless morakniv is cheap, strong, and simple. Carbon steel is cheaper, but I'm gonna abuse my knife and don't want to worry about it rusting as much. It's $20 vs $10, and you can treat the carbon steel if you're worried but whatevs.

Seconding Mora, although I buy the carbon ones. I also keep an Opinel in my pocket, but I wouldn't try batoning with it as the blade is quite thin. You should be able to get either knife for less than $20.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Unfortunately her head absorbs too much sun and she got a little overheated even with plenty of water and long shade breaks. We need to avoid midday summer hikes even in the low 80s.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I bought this one from Mountain Warehouse on sale for $90. It's a 3-in-1 so you can zip the fleece out and use it as a normal zip up if you want. Some people poo poo on Mountain Warehouse stuff because it's not the most lightweight space-age fibres available, but if you don't care about that and just want a cheap jacket that's a jack-of-all-trades then it's pretty good.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Unfortunately her head absorbs too much sun

:same: I wanna move somewhere permanently cold

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I just bought another precip off ebay for $22 shipped. They're my go-to work jackets and pretty common to find secondhand. I got my last full jacket/pants set from shopgoodwill for $14 before shipping (probably another $20). I would not buy used if there's no good pictures of the liner, to check for delamination.

I rip them often, though. When they tear I'll duct tape them and I have vinyl pool patches on one jacket that I think is time to chuck.

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
I don’t have anything to contribute but there should def be a dedicated camping/outdoor dog thread, I’d bookmark the poo poo out of that

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Throwing my hat in to say my REI Rainier jacket is effective, cheap and easy to pack.

HamAdams posted:

I don’t have anything to contribute but there should def be a dedicated camping/outdoor dog thread, I’d bookmark the poo poo out of that

I miss the old GBS CritterQuest threads from years ago. Someone please make an outdoor critter thread that is very very dog friendly. I have cool pics of bugs and wild animals I’d share.

If nobody feels like it but supports the idea I’ll happily make one tonight.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Rolo posted:

Throwing my hat in to say my REI Rainier jacket is effective, cheap and easy to pack.

I miss the old GBS CritterQuest threads from years ago. Someone please make an outdoor critter thread that is very very dog friendly. I have cool pics of bugs and wild animals I’d share.

If nobody feels like it but supports the idea I’ll happily make one tonight.

Critterquest lives on:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3807356

I'd be down for a dog thread though

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Critterquest lives on:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3807356

I'd be down for a dog thread though

Oh kick rear end!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Rolo posted:

Yep, I have the same jacket and it gets the job done and was cheap as heck.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Rolo posted:

I’m gonna need to see more camp dog pics and that goes for the rest of you. See you in the pics thread.

You're in luck. Theres a new doggo/adventure pet thread!

Updog- Not much what's up with you? Post your adventure dogs/cats/goats etc

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yesssss

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Hi. I bought a titanium double walled mug. I will never not make coffee the backcountry in one of these again.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Dangerllama posted:

Hi. I bought a titanium double walled mug. I will never not make coffee the backcountry in one of these again.

I bought a titanium one but I guess it wasn't double walled, so it gets very hot. Still love it

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Snow Peak? Yeah, they make double-walled and single-walled versions, and it's important to know which one you have, because you can gently caress up the double-walled ones by using it like a single-wall.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Snow Peak? Yeah, they make double-walled and single-walled versions, and it's important to know which one you have, because you can gently caress up the double-walled ones by using it like a single-wall.

How so? I have a double walled Ti mug that I use daily and I don't give it any special treatment. In fact I'll put most of my bodyweight on it pushing down an aeropress.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah it's snow peak. Good mug.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

How so? I have a double walled Ti mug that I use daily and I don't give it any special treatment. In fact I'll put most of my bodyweight on it pushing down an aeropress.

Probably putting it on a camp stove.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Yeah I prefer the inverted method if you can balance it properly in the field

e: hell yeah aeropress crew. Coffee outside rocks

aeropress indoors good too

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

withak posted:

Probably putting it on a camp stove.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I have a little toaks mug which comes with a orange heatproof baggy you can use to hold it when it's hot. I also bought a titanium spork with a bottle opener on the end after my plastic spork broke in half.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Save yourself the money and just get a GSI infinity mug. They are about .5 - 1 ounce lighter than the double wall titanium mugs, and in my opinion, do a better job insulating. They also hold more.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Save yourself the money and just get a GSI infinity mug. They are about .5 - 1 ounce lighter than the double wall titanium mugs, and in my opinion, do a better job insulating. They also hold more.

Yeah, I got one of these and they're pretty neat. Can't put them on the stove though.

Wish they had a way to securely connect the mug to the insulating sleeve though. I hook my mug to the outside of my pack via a carabiner through the handle and have had it slip out if the sleeve and drop onto the trail once or twice

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 11, 2020

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

FCKGW posted:

Yeah, I got one of these and they're pretty neat. Can't put them on the stove though.

Wish they had a way to securely connect the mug to the insulating sleeve though. I hook my mug to the outside of my pack via a carabiner through the handle and have had it slip out if the sleeve and drop onto the trail once or twice

One of the reviews says to just wrap a rubber band around it before you put it in the sleeve. May be worth a shot.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

MustardFacial posted:

They do?

Alright then, gently caress the MSR and the North Face. Given this new evidence it's between the Catalyst and the Passage 2.

[edit] I just checked Sportchek again and the Catalyst just went on sale from $260 CDN to $150 CDN. I guess that's my decision made.

Bought the Catalyst because it was $110 off.

Look at what showed up today:

This thing is huge but - compared to my old Coleman - weighs almost nothing. I'm pretty sure it's only as big as it is because of the tent poles. I'm like 80% sure that I could pack the tent into a smaller bag and carry the poles separately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

That’s what I do - poles live strapped to the outside of my bag, and then the tent + fly go inside. I actually leave them in the bag it came with though - once the poles are out you can just fold the excess over or tie it off or whatever.