Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I broke 3 straps for the Garmin cadence mount. No issues with the wahoo one.

That has been an issue for me. I have just started zip tying.

TobinHatesYou posted:

I can lock up coaster brakes or a brakeless fixie. What's the advantage of rim brakes?

--

A short list of some real answers:

With rim brakes, your rim is a consumable.
Disc brakes provide better modulation.
Disc brakes perform the same in all conditions. (Don't use the same braking points with carbon rims and rim brakes in the rain.)
Rim brakes, steep descents and carbon clinchers is bad juju.
Rim brakes, steep descents, alloy rims and latex tubes is bad juju.
Disc brakes allow for wider tires without sacrificing brake design / leverage.
Disc brakes do not care if your wheel isn't true.
Disc brakes do not care if the edge of your rim is a bit chewed up.
Rim Brakes are prettier.
:colbert:

nm fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

I am going to preface this by saying that I’m not going back to this bike shop and that I am completely clueless when it comes to bike maintenance.

They sold you tires too big for your frame. Except for a giant toughroad I cant think of a hybrid in their fleet that will clear a 2" tire. If it's that close in ideal conditions picking up a bit of mud or gravel or just hammering on the bike at a stoplight causing the frame to flex is gonna do things.

Find some 700*35-43ish mm tires somewhere else and get a refund for the ones they sold you.

Edit: on the off chance your bike is one I haven't seen before that'll actually clear a tire that big, it might be the QR springs being in backwards causing the wheel to not center properly. The wide part of the spring should be on the outside. If it's turned the wrong way around it can get wedged in the dropout.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 9, 2020

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

EvilJoven posted:

They sold you tires too big for your frame. Except for a giant toughroad I cant think of a hybrid in their fleet that will clear a 2" tire. If it's that close in ideal conditions picking up a bit of mud or gravel or just hammering on the bike at a stoplight causing the frame to flex is gonna do things.

Find some 700*35-43ish mm tires somewhere else and get a refund for the ones they sold you.

Edit: on the off chance your bike is one I haven't seen before that'll actually clear a tire that big, it might be the QR springs being in backwards causing the wheel to not center properly. The wide part of the spring should be on the outside. If it's turned the wrong way around it can get wedged in the dropout.

It’s this guy, inherited it from a roommate when he moved for grad school in 2011ish: https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/value-guide/product/16721/

When I got it, I think it was on 2 inch tires because I remember when I got the tires replaced five years ago the shop I went to installed notably smaller ones (which are the ones I replaced).

Springs were in right, because I looked up which way they were supposed to go because I wanted to verify that, although when I got it home the side without the lever was now mysteriously vanished.

As for a refund, I’m not hopeful because they had multiple signs posted that they don’t give refunds on any bikes, tubes or tires, and honestly that’s when I should’ve probably turned around.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Post pix where the tire is closest to the stays and fork crown in the bike repair thread. That definitely looks like a bike a 2" tire shouldn't be squeezed in to and it came stock with 35mm.

Don't worry about the spring being missing the skewer is still safe without it, its just a little less convenient putting the wheel back in now.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Biking is pretty loving incredible. I look at a map of a ride and there's like 60ish km covered over the span of a few hours and it looks like so much area covered and just this big waste of energy but then I remember what it's like to sit in the saddle on all those roads and how it goes by in 5 minutes. A good ride sets my head straight for days.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

EvilJoven posted:

Post pix where the tire is closest to the stays and fork crown in the bike repair thread. That definitely looks like a bike a 2" tire shouldn't be squeezed in to and it came stock with 35mm.

Don't worry about the spring being missing the skewer is still safe without it, its just a little less convenient putting the wheel back in now.

Posted pics of the chain stays where it’s rubbing, I have plenty of clearance on the fork and seat stays.

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST

a little gravel loop with some pals to remind me how unfit ive gotten

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

nm posted:

That has been an issue for me. I have just started zip tying.

Rim Brakes are prettier.

never taking off the old Campy calipers I have, from the "it's impossible to brake from the brake hoods" era

Despite being single pivot, the sprung Shimano 105 SLRs on my Univega are actually very practical to brake from the hoods (and got listed by Sheldon Brown as the "best single pivot brakes ever made", so they're probably expensive on ebay a la other Sheldon Brown favorites like Bridgestones and Miyata 1000s)

(also check out that amazing frame clearance, and the worst bar tape ever made AKA Benotto Cell-o-tape)

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass
My first 100mile ride for many years today, My taint hurts but its nothing against my neck and shoulder. despite drinking 1.25 litres I lost 1.5 kilos weight. Time to drink!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I did 24 miles, which is my longest since starting up again. I felt great and was thinking I should just keep going, but then I got home and went to walk up the stairs and my leg almost collapsed, lol.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

FogHelmut posted:

I did 24 miles, which is my longest since starting up again. I felt great and was thinking I should just keep going, but then I got home and went to walk up the stairs and my leg almost collapsed, lol.

Make sure to do some stretching as well as collapsing into a chair, it'll make a massive difference in the long run

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

I was riding last night a bit after sun down. It was dark, I had lights on. I was descending a road I know very well, going 30-33mph according to Strava. I hit a bat. It flew into my right bicep and was either stunned or killed by the impact. At first I thought it was a really big bug, then I thought "that must have been a bird", then I looked down at my arm and saw the bat plastered there by the wind resistance from my speed. I shook my arm and it fell off. I didn't stop to retrieve the body/capture it if it was still alive and I'm currently regretting this.

I was ten minutes from home. I came straight into the house, washed my arm with soap and water, and then used hand sanitizer all over my arm mostly to test for any stinging which would indicate broken skin. I didn't feel any stinging. I do not believe I was bitten or scratched, but I definitely had two or three seconds of physical contact with a bat. I do have a bit of eczema/psoriasis on my inner elbow near where the bat hit, and this may or may not count as "broken skin".

I have no indications that this bat was rabid. It was shortly after sundown, the bat was likely looking for bugs, our paths crossed. Still, I am a bit concerned about possible exposure to rabies. I'm dumb and don't currently have a primary care physician because we've switched insurance (five years ago) and I'm reasonably healthy so I just haven't gotten around to it. I'll fix this soon (tomorrow when offices are open) and relate the situation and get a medical opinion, but in the meantime: anyone here hit a bat and actually got medical advice? Was PEP recommended or was it "eh, you're fine"? I am probably over-thinking this but with the stakes being so high, even with a very low likelihood of exposure this is firmly in my head for the time being.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Make sure to do some stretching as well as collapsing into a chair, it'll make a massive difference in the long run

Oh yeah I'm 36, getting into the crossover zone where you have to spend more time stretching than actually exercising.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

FogHelmut posted:

Oh yeah I'm 36, getting into the crossover zone where you have to spend more time stretching than actually exercising.

I am 58 in the zone where you spend more time collapsing in a chair!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

More like becoming a vampire.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

So this is a long shot, but after scouring the internet, striking out with Strava's support team, and even swallowing my pride and slinking shamefully into r/strava with no results, I still can't figure out why images in ride/user galleries refuse to load on my phone. The only thing I've found on the entirety of the internet is this post in the community gallery, but it describes my issue exactly.

I've tried clearing cache/data, turning off system wide and app-specific battery optimization, installing older apks, etc, but it's been months and I'm still scratching my head. The issue occurs on every Android phone I've tried (Motorola e5, LG Fortune, Samsung Galaxy A11). Everything loads fine on the two iPhone devices I logged into, so while it's definitely an Android-specific bug, the problem is the same on 8.0, 9.0, and even 10.0.

My main reason for using Strava is live segments, effort comparisons, and training/fitness stuff, so it doesn't exactly ruin the whole experience for me, but I'll be damned if looking at gray boxes all the time isn't driving me pretty crazy anyway.

Has anyone else had this issue? Can anyone with a functional understanding of programming explain what might be causing it?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

FogHelmut posted:

Lol like I ever stretch

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

mikemelbrooks posted:

My first 100mile ride for many years today, My taint hurts but its nothing against my neck and shoulder. despite drinking 1.25 litres I lost 1.5 kilos weight. Time to drink!

that’s um...not remotely enough water for that kind of distance

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

If there was no broken skin/no blood then I think you're fine. Note: I am just some idiot on the internet

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I'm in the "you're probably OK" camp too. That said, with rabies, if you show any symptoms, you're already in serious trouble.

Today was a bike day!

I sold one of my wife's bikes, picked up a dropper for my mtb, cleaned and tuned 4 bikes while hanging out with friends on my porch and then went for a hilly night ride with my pal.

He kept on loving dropping me.

I'm riding an entry level aluminum roadie and we scored him a full carbon trek 5200 that weighed in at 16 lbs, or something equally stupid. I've never felt so powerless to catch someone in my life. Best 700 bucks I've seen him spend.

My bike parts come in this week and I'll be one step closer to my project completion. Feels loving great, as I've been sitting on my rear end playing world of warcraft and recently quit. My fitness is proper hosed.

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 10, 2020

sokatoah
Oct 6, 2005

Oh gods, how do we find the hypotenuse?

becoming posted:

Riding in bat country

Go to the clinic / your doctor just in case (but not the emergency room, it's not that bad). Bats are hosed up and rabies isn't remotely the worst thing they carry.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

gently caress you stupid staple that put two holes in my crazy thick schwalbe tire and slime tube! Rode it home 10 miles because yolo and big shout out to the dude that offered me a ride! I was only about 2 blocks from home but it was nice anyway.

Lesson learned: gonna put together a patch kit and carry a pump from now on

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

nm posted:

Rim Brakes are prettier.

That's like just, like, your opinion, man.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

sokatoah posted:

Go to the clinic / your doctor just in case (but not the emergency room, it's not that bad). Bats are hosed up and rabies isn't remotely the worst thing they carry.

Rabies is absolutely horrible and if you start showing symptoms you are completely hosed and going to die a horrible painful death. Just because we have a preventative vaccine doesn’t make it less of a scary sci fi death disease

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
gently caress it's been a whole week since I rode and presumably a whole week and a half till the shop is done fixing my poo poo ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjjh

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Levitate posted:

Rabies is absolutely horrible and if you start showing symptoms you are completely hosed and going to die a horrible painful death. Just because we have a preventative vaccine doesn’t make it less of a scary sci fi death disease

This. See a goddamn doctor.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

nm posted:

This. See a goddamn doctor.

Please listen to this and go see a doctor.

Apologies for the reddit link but this story stuck in my brain. https://np.reddit.com/r/news/comments/9vdumn/utah_man_dies_from_rabies_first_in_state_in_74/e9bpd2j/

The CDC (i don't think this page was tinkered with by the Trump admin) says you should see a doctor. https://www.cdc.gov/rabies/exposure/index.html

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Uhh okay I'm changing my vote to See a Doctor

I rode 75 miles today and learned that I do in fact need to know where I can get water at all times.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I mean it’s quite unlikely that you’ll get rabies from a bat that doesn’t bite you but I guess I take a little issue with what seemed like someone making light of rabies in general
Get checked out, tell a doc what happened. You’re probably fine but checking with health professionals is a good idea if you can do it!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Rabies shots now are two in the butt cheek the first visit and then one or two in the arm every few days for a week or so if I'm remembering correctly, not the horrifying 2' long needle through the sternum like in the 80s. Go get poked, it's barely painful and way better than your brain melting.

My arm did get a tad sore tho.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

EvilJoven posted:

Rabies shots now are two in the butt cheek the first visit and then one or two in the arm every few days for a week or so if I'm remembering correctly, not the horrifying 2' long needle through the sternum like in the 80s. Go get poked, it's barely painful and way better than your brain melting.

My arm did get a tad sore tho.

Living in Mexico in the 90s,the shot went into your stomach. :gonk:

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
I rode this bike for 50 miles on Saturday

Then rode this bike for 23 miles on Sunday

And it was good.

Becoming, pls check with a doctor.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

I have an appointment tomorrow morning to see my newly-appointed primary care physician.

From https://www.cdc.gov/rabies/exposure/type.html:

quote:

The contamination of open wounds, abrasions, mucous membranes, or theoretically, scratches (potentially contaminated with infectious material from a rabid animal) constitutes a nonbite exposure.

Other contact by itself, such as petting a rabid animal and contact with blood, urine, or feces of a rabid animal, does not constitute an exposure and is not an indication for postexposure vaccination.

Again, because it hit my bicep/inner elbow, and because I have eczema/psoriasis on my inner elbow which may be considered broken skin, I think it's probably prudent to talk to a medical professional. I suspect I'm gonna wind up getting the shots simply because the stakes are so high and no doctor wants to be the one that allowed a rabies death to occur when they're so easily preventable.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

becoming posted:

I have an appointment tomorrow morning to see my newly-appointed primary care physician.

From https://www.cdc.gov/rabies/exposure/type.html:

Again, because it hit my bicep/inner elbow, and because I have eczema/psoriasis on my inner elbow which may be considered broken skin, I think it's probably prudent to talk to a medical professional. I suspect I'm gonna wind up getting the shots simply because the stakes are so high and no doctor wants to be the one that allowed a rabies death to occur when they're so easily preventable.

Look at it this way: while you're actively getting the course of rabies vaccine shots, you can confidently hang out with any more bats that you run into.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

Look at it this way: while you're actively getting the course of rabies vaccine shots, you can confidently hang out with any more bats that you run into.

Gonna start riding my bikes in caves, gently caress yes. Is r/cavecycling a thing yet, and if not, which one of us is starting it?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

e.pilot posted:

I was going to wait until this was a bit more finalized to post but it’s moving a bit faster than I expected and there’s a minimum order of 10 so trying to get as much interest as I can.

I’m putting together a stupid jersey, cost should be $25+ shipping. It’s through a china kit company called Racmmer I have a few jerseys from, they’re real nice even by normal jersey standards let alone chinakit.

I’ll put together a google form for sizes once the design is finalized and the order is ready to go, but I wanted to see if there was any interest now to get the ball rolling

e:
updated the design and moved the fake sponsors to the back:

also in

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

I can vouch for Raccmer stuff, I have a jersey and bib from them and they're not half bad for having spent like $35 for both. They're sizing is pretty normal and not surprisingly small.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

becoming posted:

Gonna start riding my bikes in caves, gently caress yes. Is r/cavecycling a thing yet, and if not, which one of us is starting it?
I got ya, right here. Enjoy!

While I'm already posting, Raccmer sizing question. If I wear a medium Pactimo Ascent do I get a medium Eat Trash jersey too? Cuz that design is great and I also need that in my life.

Crumps Brother fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 10, 2020

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Rode bike today.

Was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I love bicycle press

quote:

The new features across the three bikes in the range add about $500 to the cost of an already spendy bicycle. The top of the range new GSD R14—with belt drive, Rohloff Speedhub, and suspension front and rear—will cost $8,399.
Fitting collapsible parts comes naturally for Tern: the company began in 2011 as an upscale maker of folding bikes, co-founded by Hon and his mother, Florence. (Hon’s estranged father is Dr. David Hon, the laser scientist who, in 1981, left Hughes Research Lab to found Dahon folding bikes.)

wowza