Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Animale you seem to have pretty good taste even tho you are going for a maximalist look which triggers me

you have a very good taste for colors!

so if you're going to display all your books cool but the one giant twin tower stack is an eyesore imo

I think it would look a lot better if they all went up to the same height, instead of having this one giant pillar on the end.

did you get it for the look or did you get it to cover the power box on the wall?

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I have this chair. It's great but if you even look at it funny you will get little black and gray scuffs on the white surface that are a bit tough to remove.

There's a solution for that.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
RedFin's been spamming me lately but this new construction really took the cake with it's bright yellow faucets and.... wait... what.

:suspense:
Is... i hope that's a self portrait

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I have this chair. It's great but if you even look at it funny you will get little black and gray scuffs on the white surface that are a bit tough to remove.

Is it a real DSW? I haven’t known them to scuff but I haven’t owned one

e: or fiberglass

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 9, 2020

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I don't usually quote my own posts but I just realized this was in a bathroom:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

FilthyImp posted:

RedFin's been spamming me lately but this new construction really took the cake with it's bright yellow faucets and.... wait... what.

like a mirror when u pee

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is it a real DSW? I haven’t known them to scuff but I haven’t owned one

e: or fiberglass

It's an Eames. We picked up a set of four a couple of years ago.

I think the scuffs come from metal bits on clothing rubbing on the surface. So it's not really a scuff so much as tarnish?

Still awesome chairs though.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

maybe im weird but i think wire leg chairs with the wire leg table would be too much wire

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Deviant posted:

maybe im weird but i think wire leg chairs with the wire leg table would be too much wire

I was actually thinking the opposite, that wood legs and a wood back would be too much wood

Mr. Wiggles posted:

It's an Eames. We picked up a set of four a couple of years ago.

I think the scuffs come from metal bits on clothing rubbing on the surface. So it's not really a scuff so much as tarnish?

Still awesome chairs though.

I know they produce fiberglass as well, I'll have to look a them.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

PRADA SLUT posted:

I was actually thinking the opposite, that wood legs and a wood back would be too much wood

I know they produce fiberglass as well, I'll have to look a them.

i dunno i just got like a weird 'too busy' mental image if i'm looking at wire chair legs pushed into a wire table

like two arguing jungle gyms.

you might be right tho

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

FilthyImp posted:

I have been looking at houses for a month, and while I have seen at least three probably gimp-chambers, there hasn't been anything as fun as this.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

makes u think

I too have been to the Noguchi museum in Queens. I was making a reference to the the old gently caress your Noguchi coffee table tumblr.

actionjackson posted:

Animale you seem to have pretty good taste even tho you are going for a maximalist look which triggers me

you have a very good taste for colors!

so if you're going to display all your books cool but the one giant twin tower stack is an eyesore imo

I think it would look a lot better if they all went up to the same height, instead of having this one giant pillar on the end.

did you get it for the look or did you get it to cover the power box on the wall?
Sadly space is an issue for me as my apartment is around 575 sq ft and that's where function over form wins out. I also have a ton of books on the first level of my coffee table.

Idlewild_
Sep 12, 2004

Endless Column is one of my favourite sculptures. I've seen the indoor version at the MoMA, but I'd love to see the tall outdoor version. It just has a phenomenal relationship to the space around it. I'm not a huge fan of Modernism but some aspects of it do click beautifully.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Animale posted:

I too have been to the Noguchi museum in Queens. I was making a reference to the the old gently caress your Noguchi coffee table tumblr.

Sadly space is an issue for me as my apartment is around 575 sq ft and that's where function over form wins out. I also have a ton of books on the first level of my coffee table.

did you go through all your books and decide that you actually needed them first?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Vacuous Fool Using ‘Wicker’ And ‘Rattan’ Interchangeably

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Animale posted:

I know the site, it’s in the op and sadly NO LONGER MAINTAINED thanks obama kate wagner

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

speaking of that site, I had no idea this was a thing until my aunt mentioned it to me a few days ago

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 10, 2020

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

actionjackson posted:

did you go through all your books and decide that you actually needed them first?

Why do you give a poo poo?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Blue Footed Booby posted:

because you might find out you don't actually need/want to keep all those books and then you won't need your 9/11 book memorial stand

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

actionjackson posted:

speaking of that site, I had no idea this was a thing until my aunt mentioned it to me a few days ago

This is just people trying to hide the fact that they have lovely books.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

evangelical simplifier, imo

what they should have done was recommend a book on the subject

(I actually really like that book, even though I'm not any kind of simplifier, but it's good for helping me to decide what's worth keeping (most things, just not all of them))

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Also that shelf has no legs and is probably going to tear the wall down with all of that weight.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

falz posted:

Also that shelf has no legs and is probably going to tear the wall down with all of that weight.

Those seem to be all paperbacks. That's not a lot of weight when compared to, say, wall-mounted cupboards.

Heck even hardbacks are much lighter tha n dishes.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I don't know if there's a better thread for this but I'm looking for a lamp.

Specifically, I'd like to have a swing arm lamp that clamps, but all the ones I've seen are smaller than what I think I want. I'd also like it to rotate at the base.

The one's I've seen so far have around 16 inch arms - do longer ones exist? Am I looking for something that doesn't exist/not practical because of size and how difficult it is to hold in place when extended far away?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

totalnewbie posted:

I don't know if there's a better thread for this but I'm looking for a lamp.

Specifically, I'd like to have a swing arm lamp that clamps, but all the ones I've seen are smaller than what I think I want. I'd also like it to rotate at the base.

The one's I've seen so far have around 16 inch arms - do longer ones exist? Am I looking for something that doesn't exist/not practical because of size and how difficult it is to hold in place when extended far away?

https://www.dwr.com/lighting-desk-lamps/link-clamp-mount-lamp/1889.html

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Found in a thrift store:

I guess the lesson here is if you're making a boob light, lean in?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Zillow search term of the day is "Japanese"

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1099-Willoughby-Way-Aspen-CO-81611/13996001_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6677-Route-4-Rte-Mendon-VT-05051/2083204294_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/32-Keziahs-Ln-Orleans-MA-02653/56786099_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6089-La-Jolla-Scenic-Dr-S-La-Jolla-CA-92037/2078417627_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/45434-Indian-Shoals-Rd-Mendocino-CA-95460/19214146_zpid/ 1979 contemporary using Japanese-style timber framing

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4010-Beechwood-Dr-NW-Atlanta-GA-30327/35918247_zpid/ 1975 Japanese Modern

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/21-Canyon-Rd-Ross-CA-94957/19272771_zpid/ 1969 Japanese Modern

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/629-Senanus-Dr-Central-Saanich-BC-V8M-1S6/2079167549_zpid/ 1970 Japanese Modern

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/37W756-Woodgate-Rd-Saint-Charles-IL-60175/4656462_zpid/ $2.3 million seems almost cheap for 17k square feet

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/14-W-Skyline-Dr-Greenbrier-AR-72058/82275701_zpid/ probably the most authentic house in this post, not what you'd expect for $150k in rural Arkansas

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

So what I'm taking from this is that "modernist" means "whoops, no walls lol". Though a few half walls or the occasional thicc pillar are okay.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
None of those are Japanese.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I wasn’t clear enough last time but please chill out about the size of people’s book collections and whether they should or shouldn’t display them.

That lovely backwards shelving is fair game however.

corgski fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 10, 2020

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Thanks - that's a nice looking lamp but it's also 250-300 more than other "similar" lamps I've seen. Am I reading this dimension correctly? It lists height 33/depth 36 - is that the length of the first (from base) section and second section respectively?

The one I saw on Amazon has a length 28/16.. I guess that's an extra 25 inches for 250-300 bucks? Or is there some other reason why it's so much more?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

actionjackson posted:

because you might find out you don't actually need/want to keep all those books and then you won't need your 9/11 book memorial stand

You might find that openly and repeatedly insulting something, and then acting like you're doing it for their own good is meangirl bullshit most people grow out of when they leave high school.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Found in a thrift store:

I guess the lesson here is if you're making a boob light, lean in?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

there wolf posted:

You might find that openly and repeatedly insulting something, and then acting like you're doing it for their own good is meangirl bullshit most people grow out of when they leave high school.

Okay I agree that was a bit overzealous of me. The poster said they had very limited space, and I just pointed out that was taking up a lot of it, and I also know people like to just keep books around forever whether or not they use them.

On another topic is there such thing as an attachable dimmer for a lamp? In the DWR store they had black thing attached to the end of each cord which dimmed the light (and then that thing plugged into the outlet of course) but I can't find anything like it online. I think the person said they ship all the DWR lights with something like that if they aren't already dimmable.

totalnewbie posted:

Thanks - that's a nice looking lamp but it's also 250-300 more than other "similar" lamps I've seen. Am I reading this dimension correctly? It lists height 33/depth 36 - is that the length of the first (from base) section and second section respectively?

The one I saw on Amazon has a length 28/16.. I guess that's an extra 25 inches for 250-300 bucks? Or is there some other reason why it's so much more?

It's because the light you found on amazon is probably cheap crap, whereas the light he linked to is incredibly well constructed and will last forever. You will also pay a bit more for a name depending on how well established they are.

However given that lighting tends to have little to no wear and tear you will probably be fine with most stuff.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 10, 2020

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

actionjackson posted:

It's because the light you found on amazon is probably cheap crap, whereas the light he linked to is incredibly well constructed and will last forever. You will also pay a bit more for a name depending on how well established they are.

However given that lighting tends to have little to no wear and tear you will probably be fine with most stuff.

I don't disagree - I just wondered if there was some middle ground or if there was something else I might be missing about it. For a 300 dollar difference, I'd better be able to beat it with a hammer :P

But thanks - I'll keep looking around and probably fail to curb my bad spending habits when it comes to durable goods.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

actionjackson posted:

On another topic is there such thing as an attachable dimmer for a lamp? In the DWR store they had black thing attached to the end of each cord which dimmed the light (and then that thing plugged into the outlet of course) but I can't find anything like it online. I think the person said they ship all the DWR lights with something like that if they aren't already dimmable.

I wanted this exact item and ended up making one, it looks lovely but works, basically the guts of a faceplate dimmer in a suitable inline enclosure. Then I got more suitable bulbs and chucked it.

E: and a quick Google brings up £2 from eBay, £10 from reputable stores. Guess it became more popular.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

totalnewbie posted:

I don't disagree - I just wondered if there was some middle ground or if there was something else I might be missing about it. For a 300 dollar difference, I'd better be able to beat it with a hammer :P

But thanks - I'll keep looking around and probably fail to curb my bad spending habits when it comes to durable goods.

There is a middle ground.

It's because DWR is often considered pretentious, overly designed furniture that is probably not necessary for most people. Additionally, in many cases DWR goods do have structural flaws or could be sturdier (depends on item).

But for something around $150-200 you should be able to get a sturdy lamp.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

falz posted:

Nah, a hidden 120mm (<5 inch) bracket into a solid wall will hold 10kg (20lbs) per bracket on a 250mm (10 inch) depth shelf. Three of them per five shelves there would be massive overkill, given that the shelves look 150mm or so. If the wall is in iffy shape you use resin after drilling. If it is a studded wall you cut the load by a fifth or so.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

What is the purpose of that walkway? hall? on the right here? It seems pointless for transit, is not usable for storage, and there's no furniture suggesting other uses. The only thing I can think of is for a standing audience to whatever is taking place in the bedroom?

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

nielsm posted:

What is the purpose of that walkway? hall? on the right here? It seems pointless for transit, is not usable for storage, and there's no furniture suggesting other uses. The only thing I can think of is for a standing audience to whatever is taking place in the bedroom?

I suspect the real estate lens is making that bit look a lot wider than it really is, and it is actually just a ventilation grill or something. I couldn't find a floor plan to confirm my suspicion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

This is so dumb, I love it.