Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Haha what do you think Bowsette smells like LOL
This poll is closed.
Lilac 12 3.96%
Gooseberries 8 2.64%
Turtle soup 11 3.63%
Your favourite Doritos flavor (please specify) 14 4.62%
Gamer girl bath water 54 17.82%
Stop it 158 52.15%
A Pizza Hut Personal Pan Pizza (Pepperoni) 33 10.89%
get stick bugged lol 12 3.96%
tomato pizza 1 0.33%
Total: 303 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

postmodifier posted:

Everything about this game makes me wary and/or weary in a neopets kind of way,

but

Are there examples of a game world with alien/foreign language where having a skill/knowledge perk translates it with overlays like this?

Not only is it very cool but seems like a largely unexplored design space for something like baldur's gate or skyrim-likes???

don't mind me, im just a doctor of deafness and obsessed with subtitling in all it's forms and this made me curious

FFX did a thing with Al-Bhed which used a cipher to translate per letter, so if you had the etaoinshrdlu books you could understand nearly everything with a bit of reasoning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Unreal_One posted:

FFX did a thing with Al-Bhed which used a cipher to translate per letter, so if you had the etaoinshrdlu books you could understand nearly everything with a bit of reasoning.

I was definitely thinking of al bhed when I wrote that, but its just transliteration of the text, I guess in new game+ if you have all the manuals you can read it fluently, but i'm thinking more like you look at a thing and it overlays the translation rather than replacing the original.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

postmodifier posted:

What do you mean? AFAIK the shady side of Neopets was merely being owned by some scientologists, the site itself was a pretty competent uhh... online pet website with myriad games and economies and stuff for players. They also went all-out for seasonal/storyline advances, like actually hard puzzles that entire communities, some from even outside neopets, just puzzle-fanatics to solve some of em.

The craziest thing to me about Neopets is that nickelodeon or someone official bought it all at some point and proceeded to do dick all with it after one time adding some new way for IAP to play dress-up. You'd think it'd be a no-brainer to take Neopets on the mobile show and hook kids thru their phones and stuff.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

postmodifier posted:

but

Are there examples of a game world with alien/foreign language where having a skill/knowledge perk translates it with overlays like this?

Not only is it very cool but seems like a largely unexplored design space for something like baldur's gate or skyrim-likes???

don't mind me, im just a doctor of deafness and obsessed with subtitling in all it's forms and this made me curious

I think Heaven's Vault is all about this?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

outer wilds kind of does it with its translation gun

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think Heaven's Vault is all about this?

Pizza or no pizza, this is the Charlie Foxtrot content I keep coming back for, thanks, I'll check this out.

Re: wiz101/neopets, it just strikes me in the same garbage way of aping popular references to cultivate a playerbase that is just handcuffed to the next injection of nostalgia that you can also pay 25 dollars to show other people you're more nostalgic for the thing!!!!

But that's also 99% of MMO operation, so I guess maybe it's just the cartoonish aspect that is rubbing me the wrong way?

Like the entire egyptian croodile batch of stuff FAK posted is just like, hey, remember in world of warcraft when you did this exact same plot??? Pay us, instead???

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Fry the Zucchini

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
oh boy, i really over-salted this pasta. oh geez. oh man.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oxxidation posted:

You're just a coward.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

make more pasta without salt and mix them together :)

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Oxxidation posted:

sauce ruiner!!!!!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Going back to that itch.io bundle, Crest seems like a pretty cool god game that seems to get the point across in a different way - you write your commandments, and your followers may or may not follow them (or rebel against you if they hate them). It's still in EA but the biggest problem is that the UI is difficult to read. If you bought the bundle give it a shot. Also, tell me how to view it again in itch's lovely app because it's non-existent beyond what I already clicked to own now apparently

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Played some hours of Forager - it started out OK, but the inventory became more and more laggy the more I played. And the sound design started to get on my nerves - I had to turn of the weather because the thunder sound effect was loud as gently caress and also garbage. And when I built a mining laser, it made a periodic loud PEW sound no matter where on the map I was. Finally gave up when I got a drone that followed me, and it did the same loud PEW every time it engaged an enemy, and I couldn't find any way to turn it off.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Just finished Outer Wilds after going in blind, playing it on and off since about a month ago.

Man, that game is something special. I wish there were more experiences like that.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It's really good, the Noclip documentary on it is a worthwhile watch

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

Not a Children posted:

Just finished Outer Wilds after going in blind, playing it on and off since about a month ago.

Man, that game is something special. I wish there were more experiences like that.

I still think about this game and Return of the Obra Dinn often even though I played them last year. Both truly special experiences that your can only really experience once.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Lol even though it's called "ramen" on the package it was intended as a dry noodle dish, I should have read the directions and/or looked at the picture that wasn't the cartoon chicken. (I guess "ramen" is specifically talking about the type of noodle anyway so it's generally accurate)

It still turned out edible, though since it was an oil flavoring instead of a powder, the aroma was appetizing but it led to a broth that was rather thin and not particularly flavorful besides being a lot of fat and sheer heat. I still have 4 more packages of it so next time I will probably actually follow the directions, and/or maybe just use half of the oil in the way that professional ramen preparation uses aromatic oils on top of a base which provides the actual flavor

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
I missed Monkey Island chat but the best song is obviously this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXOHGZQqwhc

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I just finished act 2 in my replay of Dragon Age 2 and I feel like I must have hit my head or slipped into an alternate dimension or something because not only does the game not suck, it's insanely good

do I just like bad things? Is Atelier bad????

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

i regret to inform you

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ok well, let me just say, Child of Light is awful

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
No one has managed to make a good game yet, but We <3 Katamari has come the closest

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

I just finished act 2 in my replay of Dragon Age 2 and I feel like I must have hit my head or slipped into an alternate dimension or something because not only does the game not suck, it's insanely good

I mean it's great if you love bad writing, copy pasted dungeons, boring equipment,

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If I wanted to read bad writing and the same dull recycled content over and over, I'd just read the Games Chat thread!

May 8, 2006

If I wanted to read bad writing and the same old dull recycled content over and over, I'd just read the Games Chat thread!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Relax Or DIE posted:

If I wanted to read bad writing and the same old dull recycled content over and over, I'd just read the Games Chat thread!

This was a classic.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Speaking of Bowsette,

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I bet she likes the same games I like

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Grapplejack posted:

I mean it's great if you love bad writing

maybe cause I do like the writing

Grapplejack posted:

copy pasted dungeons

doesn't bother me. It's obviously embarrassing for a company like Bioware to do that but I'm using to AA games that cut corners so I just sorta smile and shake my head. It's not like it gets in the way of the stuff that matters

Grapplejack posted:

boring equipment

I mean it's just a loot treadmill but that's also 90% of RPGs so idk why you thought to bring it up

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I liked Dragon Age Inquisition back when it came out but everyone hates that too

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Catpain Slack posted:

I missed Monkey Island chat but the best song is obviously this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSe8D2wfGKI

YO HO HO HE TOOK A BITE OF GUM GUM :yohoho:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

I liked Dragon Age Inquisition back when it came out but everyone hates that too

That's a unique Goon hate game that's popular everywhere else like Skyrim though, not universally reviled like DA2.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I remember a lot of the internet being turned off DA:I. Partially because everything that happened between the main story quests was so unrelentingly dull and repetitive, and partly because Witcher 3 did it so much better a few months later.

It's been over half a decade since the last mainline Dragon Age and Witcher games were released. :corsair:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

DA2 is better than DAI :colbert:

DA2 at least has interesting ideas even if the execution is garbage whereas DAI is boring and lazy the whole way through.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I never played DA2, do you still turn into a blood splatter incarnate when you fight even the smallest, simplest enemies? That was my favorite part about DA1.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

cheetah7071 posted:

This was me during Act 1. Just you wait.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/pentaerythrit0l/status/1289820490312200192

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

I hate this

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I hope I don't get rick rolled by the Ubisoft logo!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Oh no, I'm going to bed just before 10 rather than stay up until 1am playing video games!

I'm turning into An Old