Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Professorjuggalo posted:

Horikoshi said bakugou is still slated to apoglogize/fix the deku situation id hold off

No. You know why? Because it hasn't happened yet.

I get it. I really do. I am sympathetic to the situation Horikoshi finds himself in. The thing he should do, as the writer, is write something that resolves it meaningfully. Maybe it's too early, but it sucks right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1204980464601092096?s=21 I wish we jumped on endeavour like we did bakugou jeez Louise

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Professorjuggalo posted:

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1204980464601092096?s=21 I wish we jumped on endeavour like we did bakugou jeez Louise

The series and Endeavor himself do it frequently enough we don’t have to.

E: The guy had a quarter of his face scraped off by the embodiment of his own powerlust I don’t think it’s been particularly subtle about it.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Even gentle was cool with shutting down UA and ruining a kids dream, bakugo saved kids which means he’s empirically better than gentle criminal

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Endeavor's arc is problematic as hell, but it's honestly way more dramatic and interesting from a story perspective than Bakugo. We actually see events that make him want to change, how he reflects upon the person he was, and the efforts he makes to be better!

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
And I wanna see bakugo reflect on himself and make efforts to get better, crazy isn’t it

Edit: I haven’t seen a rival character not go evil or become second fiddle in a while and it’s interesting to see him grapple against the MC

Professorjuggalo fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Aug 10, 2020

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Professorjuggalo posted:

And I wanna see bakugo reflect on himself and make efforts to get better, crazy isn’t it

Well, that's my point. We haven't seen it, we just see the "results."

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Then endeavour should go pull his ex wife out of the mental asylum

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

you had this same exact argument 2 years ago

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Kild posted:

it's a dumbass argument too

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I want Bakugo to lose an eye as a result of a hyperactive Nomu and become Punished Explosion Murder

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kild posted:

Okay, first off, two years ago is a long-rear end time, why even care?

Second, wow, nothing has changed huh?

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
*flips through big thread chapter index with stuff like woman in shonen, who’s the traitor, the cast is too big, are mushrooms in the windpipe realistic?*

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
This argument is kinda heating up (:v:) and I think we should all kinda just agree to disagree at this point. To help cool things down, lemme just say Vigilantes is great a dozen chapters in and I love all three of these adorable idiots.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Arist posted:

People are telling me that the first 10 (or even 40, lmao) don't actually matter because being at the start means they're less a part of the manga somehow. I'm saying that Bakugo's behavior in those chapters is not only not terribly inconsistent with the kind of person he is after those chapters, if we were to ignore them entirely like his proponents suggest then his development is shockingly minor.

Yeah, stories aren't real life. But also, this story has been ongoing for like five and a half years, it's kind of ridiculous that this character hasn't actually become interesting yet. And I know that's gonna be controversial, so I'll ask now: on what level is Bakugo compelling? He's not making a meaningful effort to be a better person; he's still just as egotistical as ever, he's just slightly more polite about it. He wins pretty much every time he's involved in a fight. He is constantly validated by the story. He's not just annoying, he's boring, and without a more meaningful or complicated motivation or any sense of threat whatsoever, there's nothing at stake watching him. He's honestly the least interesting character in the manga because literally everyone else has some other dimension to them where there's a sense of unpredictability or danger to their existence. And I'm not saying I need the sense that Bakugo is going to die to care. But I need to know what he cares about besides winning, because that is, baseline, a goddamn awful motivation that gives me nothing to latch onto. The only thing at stake for Bakugo is his own pride, and he already lost that and nothing changed!

I dunno, I think pride is a fine motivation. I know him being less of an rear end in a top hat isn't enough of a change for you but it feels to me like he's evolved way more than say Deku who 300 chapters later is still the heroic underdog struggling to control his new powers except it's his magic whip this time and not him knowing how to punch.

Like, which other character's in the story show consistent growth? There's only 3 kids the story cares about and Deku's the same as ever. Todoroki's whole deal is just his relationship with his father and it's like an ok story and everything but it's not super interesting. I don't think his arc is incredible or whatever but Bakugo going from hating Deku to now being able to work alongside him and even him wanting to help Aizawa like Aizawa helped him is meaningful. And that's all from things like only 5 chapters ago. It's obvious he's changed.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I admit, it's kind of weird to watch Bakugo take the world's longest and most circuitous route possible to figure out that the word "hero" has a moral connotation. It's technically an arc, and he does progress along it, and you can imagine him arriving at being a "better" person at the end of it, but it's just such a bizarre problem that I think it's hard for people to sympathize with. It's probably easier to parse as a sociopathic bully trying to figure out why raw power doesn't get them what they want than whatever the writer is actually aiming for.

I don't mind him as just another fantastical story element, like a guy who can grow eyes on his hands or a girl with headphone cables coming off her ears.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
If the ‘moral’ part of heroism applied evenly in this universe we wouldn’t have shiggy trying to level japan right now

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I dunno, I think pride is a fine motivation. I know him being less of an rear end in a top hat isn't enough of a change for you but it feels to me like he's evolved way more than say Deku who 300 chapters later is still the heroic underdog struggling to control his new powers except it's his magic whip this time and not him knowing how to punch.

Like, which other character's in the story show consistent growth? There's only 3 kids the story cares about and Deku's the same as ever. Todoroki's whole deal is just his relationship with his father and it's like an ok story and everything but it's not super interesting. I don't think his arc is incredible or whatever but Bakugo going from hating Deku to now being able to work alongside him and even him wanting to help Aizawa like Aizawa helped him is meaningful. And that's all from things like only 5 chapters ago. It's obvious he's changed.

But the "growth" isn't in service of anything. That's the whole problem. It's all still entirely about his ego... which is never questioned by the story, it is only reinforced and validated as perfectly healthy. His ego also hasn't been meaningfully challenged since he fought Deku... and he won that fight! Also, "my incredibly glaring character flaws are growing very slowly less severe" is kind of hard to make dramatic, and it shows. There's still not much of a positive aspect to the character, nothing to latch onto. Again: why should I care about Bakugo if the story is bending over backwards to make it clear that nothing is at risk for him?

Bakugo's growing to be able to work with Deku could be potentially really interesting... but we didn't see it. His mellowing out is just kind of happening between arcs, I guess, and that's if you see an appreciable difference at all, which I don't most of the time. Has Bakugo actually grown at all since he fought Deku, or is it just texture that kind of feels like he might've?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Deku is a weirdly static character, yes (which I honestly maybe appreciate more than I should because the main attempt to give him more depth that I remember was him saying that Stain had a point :wtc:), but the series is generally good about making his stakes, his investment clear. That's why I cited the culture festival as a good arc; we know the stakes for Deku and why this is important to him. We know what's at risk.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Just because you, personally, don't like a character doesn't inherently mean they're badly written. :shrug:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I mean, I've explained why I think he's a badly written character, I don't know what else you want

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I like Deku and Bakugo. I also find Bakugo really funny.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I'm more sympathetic to Bakugo's development than Arist is, but honestly if we had any real development from other characters I think his arc would be way less compelling. Remember when Momo struggled with her self worth and confidence? Or when Ururaka felt she was getting outpaced by the class? The sad thing is, there are so many potentially great character arcs that have just never happened. I wonder if Horikoshi was given a heads-up to wrap things up and that's why we're headed into the endgame. I could see a parallel universe where MHA is given One Piece levels of room to breathe, and thus we got time to develop most of 1-A as actual characters beyond their quirk + 0-2 personality traits.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

*golf claps* Haha, he's like Kid Buu but with explosions

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

I'm more sympathetic to Bakugo's development than Arist is, but honestly if we had any real development from other characters I think his arc would be way less compelling. Remember when Momo struggled with her self worth and confidence? Or when Ururaka felt she was getting outpaced by the class? The sad thing is, there are so many potentially great character arcs that have just never happened. I wonder if Horikoshi was given a heads-up to wrap things up and that's why we're headed into the endgame. I could see a parallel universe where MHA is given One Piece levels of room to breathe, and thus we got time to develop most of 1-A as actual characters beyond their quirk + 0-2 personality traits.

MHA is one of the few series Shonen Jump has left that is still selling, it’s really unlikely they laid out any kind of order for Horikoshi to axe it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

TheKingofSprings posted:

MHA is one of the few series Shonen Jump has left that is still selling, it’s really unlikely they laid out any kind of order for Horikoshi to axe it.

That's what I figured, it just seems strange that we're kind of in the climax now. Obviously something could happen to delay the story more, but like... We already have Shigaraki destroying entire towns at once, with every major hero taking part in a big fight. I guess this could be the Marineford and only be like the halfway point or something, but we're fighting the main villain with maximum escalation. Gunna be hard to top this no matter where it goes from here.

Just feels like I'd expect more time to Deku's new quirks, fleshing out other characters, etc.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
bakugo is cool and could berat you up easily

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm very, very strongly convinced that we're about to hit a serious timeskip. The new Symbol of Evil has risen, and there''s nowhere for the story to go but to either A) end him now, or B) show the aftermath of failing to.

Edit: I mean 'very close' in in-universe time, not number of chapters. There could still be plenty of fight left to go.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Aug 10, 2020

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Bakugo is getting there, and unless you've already written him off you'd see they are building to that moment he has with Deku. But he's still not there yet.

When Deku and Dusty Hand Man are the only two characters who get dedicated looks at their development, all you're ever going to see is the results of other characters' development. All supporting characters went to the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, and Bakugo is the only one who came out with no new physical tricks but a lot to munch on upstairs.

We're just now getting the follow through of Bakugo's guilt for All Might's retirement. We're just now getting his realization that working with Deku may be necessary to carry on All Might's legacy. These are steps he needs to make before his stubborn streak finally breaks and he realizes he did some seriously lovely things to Deku in the past.

Would it be better had this been addressed earlier? Clearly so, since some people can't see him without getting cranky. But it's not like the issue has been forgotten. It's on the list of things to do. Like making Mineta the actual strongest.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm very, very strongly convinced that we're about to hit a serious timeskip. The new Symbol of Evil has risen, and there''s nowhere for the story to go but to either A) end him now, or B) show the aftermath of failing to.

Edit: I mean 'very close' in in-universe time, not number of chapters. There could still be plenty of fight left to go.

i think shiggy is about to hit a backlash that makes him unable to do this level of bullshit again and it's going to be a kind of race to see who can master ofa or afo first

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

TheKingofSprings posted:

That means jack poo poo. Jump editors are pretty well-known for loving with comics regardless of sales, for good or for ill, and are especially known for pushing authors to include more and more of characters who score high in popularity polls - which, if you look at how the last several years of MHA have been the Deku, Bakugou, and Todoroki show and what characters regularly top those polls....

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

That means jack poo poo. Jump editors are pretty well-known for loving with comics regardless of sales, for good or for ill, and are especially known for pushing authors to include more and more of characters who score high in popularity polls - which, if you look at how the last several years of MHA have been the Deku, Bakugou, and Todoroki show and what characters regularly top those polls....

The last year or so of the manga has been mostly all about the Shigaraki and the League really. The Joint Training arc ended in Feburary 2019, after that was the My Villain Academia arc, then the short Endeavor internship arc, and right to this War arc that has been all about the Pros vs the Villains up until like, 10 chapters ago.

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Aug 10, 2020

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Professorjuggalo posted:

Then endeavour should go pull his ex wife out of the mental asylum
That's happening- presumably. Endeavor specifically says at the end of the internship arc he's having another house built for Natsu and Fuyumi and that the plan is to have Rei go live with them there- specifically away from Endeavor.

On Bakugou: I don't hate him and think his development has been pretty good but I still find his "I'm never not angry or sulking in some degree" thing really loving annoying. Everyone else in the cast that has had anything resembling real screen time has shown more range, including the frog girl whose character traits include being calm/collected and having a face that doesn't strongly express emotion because she's a frog. I've seen most of the cast express a range of genuine-looking emotions- sadness, happiness, anger, etc. Even when Bakugou is on the verge of emotionally breaking down (Bakugou vs. Deku Round 2) it has a weird selfish kind of anger to it.

And yet, this dude is far and away the most popular character in the series in Japan because fujos. It's weird man.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Aug 10, 2020

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Arist posted:

No. You know why? Because it hasn't happened yet.

I get it. I really do. I am sympathetic to the situation Horikoshi finds himself in. The thing he should do, as the writer, is write something that resolves it meaningfully. Maybe it's too early, but it sucks right now.

I dunno. It just kind of sounds like you don't like the series but keep reading it. Like, you say the writer should write something to fix the problems with the character even though the author himself has expressed regrets in portraying the character how he did early on. But when people point out that yes the character has been changing and developing you just stomp your feet and say no he should fix it now. I don't know what you want, or expect; it would be incredibly out of character and unearned, narratively, if next chapter he just dropped to his knees and begged for forgiveness.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I like Bakugou because for a bully character he's allowed to have more principles and confidence than I expect for a bully character. Like, considering he's Draco more or less, it's nice he doesn't join the villains, it's nice he's actually somewhat intelligent in a fight (which is why I like his fight with Orihime the best) and he's also somewhat a comic foil since he has no chill. Sure, if I thought of him as "someone I know in real-life that I have to work with," I would be pretty unhappy with him and I guess the message of "You just have to work with these type of people" would be pretty toxic if he wasn't, y'know, a caricature at this point. He feels like the few characters in MHA who's actually somewhat subversive while everyone else kinda acts exactly as you expect, and even he barely subverts things, but it's just enough to engage me in an otherwise scantily-characterized class. And maybe it's just my personal life, but growing up a bullied kid, "You should just go kill yourself," was hardly the shittiest thing kids say to kids, even kids who grow up and mature and be better. But that's probably just my own issues and it certainly needs to be remedied, but, like, if you rush that remedy... won't that feel forced? And also allow Bakugo little room to pivot to an interesting characterization? We don't necessarily need another character who says, "Ah, I too like Deku," so if Bakugo can be one of the few perspectives that's different for awhile until a situation introduces something different... that's not the worst.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Arist posted:

Deku is a weirdly static character, yes (which I honestly maybe appreciate more than I should because the main attempt to give him more depth that I remember was him saying that Stain had a point :wtc:)

Did he say Stain had a point? It's been a while since I've seen that section of the story, but if you're talking about the part I think you are (Shigaraki at the mall), I think he only said that he could understand Stain's motivations more than "I'm just going to kill some kids because we live in a society."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I think the issue with Bakugo’s development is that people don’t believe in it. Bakugo gets treated the way a lot of real-life bullies get treated: he gets praised for being useful and people laugh off the horrible things he does as “ha ha, that dumb scamp.” He gets left to develop at his own pace and isn’t treated as someone other people need protection from.

In real life, this doesn’t make bullies improve, it makes them worse, and lots of people have experienced this.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Rand Brittain posted:

I think the issue with Bakugo’s development is that people don’t believe in it. Bakugo gets treated the way a lot of real-life bullies get treated: he gets praised for being useful and people laugh off the horrible things he does as “ha ha, that dumb scamp.” He gets left to develop at his own pace and isn’t treated as someone other people need protection from.

In real life, this doesn’t make bullies improve, it makes them worse, and lots of people have experienced this.

Because Bakugo, in all instances in the manga after his introduction where he was super intensely toxic to Deku, hasn't really been much of a bully in the sense of the word you're using it for virtually the entire manga. From pretty much the moment everyone went to UA, Bakugo has been "class loudmouth/hothead" that gets played for laughs rather than intensely toxic and psychologically damaging. No one in the class really seems to give a single poo poo about Bakugo's outbursts beyond doing the verbal equivalent of an air-jerk motion.

Given that Bakugo was written as a hardcore no poo poo bully for only the very beginning of the manga and hasn't really been written as one at all for the other 99% - and Horikoshi is on record as saying that he didn't really mean to go quite as far with early Bakugo as he did - I'm not really surprised that his character arc hasn't really focused on him not being a bully.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, thinking about it I wonder if that's the remaining part of him that annoys me. Bakugou has been humbled repeatedly by various circumstances but never really by any individual telling him his behavior is a problem- which ends up amounting to tacit approval of how he acts even if he mellows out generally over the series by looking at his own actions. My first instinct if I was there for 90% of interactions he has in the manga would to -immediately- shout "Jesus, shut the gently caress up."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019
Chapter

Kirishima is a good lad.