Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/pws_official/status/1292778726795730944?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

KungFu Grip posted:

Gill is sometimes one of the weakest non wrestling parts of a GCW show. i much rather have two drunk wrestlers shooting the poo poo and marking out than him sometimes. the last GCW Japan shows were real bad because they were mixing up Japanese dudes left and right and at some point just not naming the one guy in the match.

Gill's a nice guy but he only works in promotions that aren't meant to be taken seriously. JCW was perfect for him.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Up and coming 36 year old

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

it blew my mind to learn there were 2 Steve Regals

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?

Gumball Gumption posted:

If you're listening to Folklore but not listening to Phoebe Bridgers or Lucy Dacus you're missing out.

Pages ago and totally off topic but this, boygenius fuckin shred

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS48Lp34Zic

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
"Nature Boy" Steve Regal

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ibexaz posted:

Pages ago and totally off topic but this, boygenius fuckin shred

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS48Lp34Zic

Yeah

(Also Chastity Belt, so loving good)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Alaois posted:

it blew my mind to learn there were 2 Steve Regals

I believe the story was UK Regal pointed out to the promoter that there was already a "Steve Regal" in wrestling when he was given that name, and the UK promoter told him that it was ok, because it wasn't like he was ever going to go to the US

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Davros1 posted:

I believe the story was UK Regal pointed out to the promoter that there was already a "Steve Regal" in wrestling when he was given that name, and the UK promoter told him that it was ok, because it wasn't like he was ever going to go to the US
The UK also had their own Blackjack Mulligan and Greg Valentine.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Davros1 posted:

And then didn't he change to William Regal because WWF already have a Steve (as in, Steve Austin) at the time?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

MJeff posted:

And then didn't he change to William Regal because WWF already have a Steve (as in, Steve Austin) at the time?

He went by Steven Regal during his Real Man's Man phase so that's unlikely

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I also only became aware of the existence of 2 Steve Regals because in the Crime in Sports episode about Buck Zumhofe, James mentions a match between Buck and Steve Regal, who he describes as "an annoying little gently caress that I can't stand" and was really confused until the Jake the Snake episode like a year or so later when Steve Regal comes up again and he clarifies that it's the AWA Steve Regal that he hates and not William Regal

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/yutaka_pw/status/1293114983773945858?s=20

Great photo of Go Shiozaki mid-moonsault to Kenoh.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
dream match

https://twitter.com/kenjohnson1028/status/1293014894342791168

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Is that the awful “lol look at the dead body” Japan suicide guy?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yes and that wasn't the only lovely thing he did in Japan. One of the worst people on YouTube

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, and his brother was the one filming himself looting in Arizona and just had his house raided by the FBI.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

hopefully soon to be the "lol look at the dead body" MDK guy

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Yeah, Kenny Omega felt the need to apologise for him after it. I was visiting at the time cos it was the same time as WK12 and had a few people ask me if I was a YouTuber and was totally confused at the time.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

forkboy84 posted:

Yes and that wasn't the only lovely thing he did in Japan. One of the worst people on YouTube

Then I think we could make an argument for Minoru Suzuki being an influencer

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Rarity posted:

He went by Steven Regal during his Real Man's Man phase so that's unlikely
I can believe that 1998 Vince differentiated between Steve Austin and Steven Regal, after all he allowed Stevie Steven Richards to co-exist with SCSA too. I guess Steve Blackman lingered a lot longer than I remembered (summer 2001!) too.

I can believe he was told to change the Steven, but that would have been a couple of years before Vince went nuts with the "can't have Shane McMahon and Shane Helms, can't have Lance Storm and Lance Cade" period, and even then they were fine with having Chris Jericho/Benoit/Nowinski, Rob Van Dam/Conway/Robbie of the Highlanders, etc. etc. etc. It's almost like it's all the whims of a madman!

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I seem to remember reading that Prince William was in the news for something around the time of Regal's re-signing and they just went with that.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I seem to remember reading that Prince William was in the news for something around the time of Regal's re-signing and they just went with that.

William is his Grandfather's name and they were close, he mentioned it in his book (which I recommend)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/ShotziWWE/status/1293185032035504128

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The idea that WWE doesn't have a costume department that takes care of everyone's gear for them is mind blowing to me. Especially when they're doing shows out of the same building every show.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Gumball Gumption posted:

The idea that WWE doesn't have a costume department that takes care of everyone's gear for them is mind blowing to me. Especially when they're doing shows out of the same building every show.

Costuming is a part of the industry that I think is really overlooked in general, and yeah it should be centralized in each company both for quality/consistency control and to prevent things like this from happening. Outside of the indies, at least.

Separately I think it's insane that jobber-rear end Brandon Cutler has incredible, professional, polished looking gear but Brodie Lee, successful cult leader, looks like he taped four garbage bags together.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Apart from washing, don’t they have lockers at the performance center to keep their gear in?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

flashy_mcflash posted:

Costuming is a part of the industry that I think is really overlooked in general, and yeah it should be centralized in each company both for quality/consistency control and to prevent things like this from happening. Outside of the indies, at least.

Separately I think it's insane that jobber-rear end Brandon Cutler has incredible, professional, polished looking gear but Brodie Lee, successful cult leader, looks like he taped four garbage bags together.

Cutler’s wife is a seamstress and makes gear professionally iirc.

Edit: yes and for the Bucks, even

https://mobile.twitter.com/couple_cosplay/status/1265368545908551680

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 11, 2020

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

She should make some for Brodie then! Hire her, coward Tony! She does great work!

Maybe it's my own hangup but I've always felt that gear (along with entrances) is a direct representation of how much I should care about a performer, and how much the company cares about their presentation. There are exceptions (Austin is a big one) but I think it's a relatively easy way for a performer to distinguish themselves and should be taken seriously.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

She should make some for Brodie then! Hire her, coward Tony! She does great work!

Maybe it's my own hangup but I've always felt that gear (along with entrances) is a direct representation of how much I should care about a performer, and how much the company cares about their presentation. There are exceptions (Austin is a big one) but I think it's a relatively easy way for a performer to distinguish themselves and should be taken seriously.

I don't think Austin is even an exception. His ring gear being simple was perfect for his character.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

A waistcoat and trunks was good enough for Austin and that’s why it’s also good enough for future HOF GOAT candidate Adam Page

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

At least as recently as 2017, WWE had a seamstress, because she said she wanted Matt Hardy dead on Twitter. There was also Sandra Gray at least as recently as 2015, but she may have retired. Also, I wouldn't be shocked if they just fired them at some point. But also, I think Shotzi was just continuing to use her indie gear, or at least the helmet. It probably wouldn't be something they could rig up in a few hours.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

doesn't Mikaze also make gear for NXT wrestlers

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

A waistcoat and trunks was good enough for Austin and that’s why it’s also good enough for future HOF GOAT candidate Adam Page

It's funny when you realise Hangman's character is basically Steve Austin yet it feels completely different

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Rarity posted:

It's funny when you realise Hangman's character is basically Steve Austin yet it feels completely different

Less 90s badass, more millennial ennui. much more handsome though.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

thinking about adam page, his rise in popularity, his good matches, his wry grin, his cowboy poo poo..ah, how can you not smile? lovely stuff. what a lovely man.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
https://twitter.com/JoeMashups/status/1292672924705525760

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Yeah, Kenny Omega felt the need to apologise for him after it. I was visiting at the time cos it was the same time as WK12 and had a few people ask me if I was a YouTuber and was totally confused at the time.

Kenny hangs about with some absolute scum. Doesn't reflect well on him at all. I wonder if his favorable relationship with the sheets has protected him.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

die of jock itch sucks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

ICHIBAHN posted:

Kenny hangs about with some absolute scum. Doesn't reflect well on him at all. I wonder if his favorable relationship with the sheets has protected him.

That's a weird thing to speculate about.