Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Olothreutes posted:

What is a flip capable board? Like you can toss it and get a full rotation, or if you flip it over on your deck it's probably still structurally sound?

Check under your mattress :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Check under your mattress :smug:

B grade plywood?

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Double post but I meant to ask about this-what do you use an oval skew for? They've always seemed very catchy when I've tried them, especially on the planing/shearing cuts I mostly use a skew for. I'm far from a skew master-I can turn a bead in one cut with a skew without a catch maybe half the time-but rounding over the square edge of a flat skew was pretty revolutionary for me. This video always inspires me to try and get better at skewing, and grinding my skew a little more like his really helped me too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOuznRWUGos&t=329s

Highlights of the Oval skew
1) It moves easier across the rest because of less contact surface
2) You can "roll" it for theoretically smaller beads and coves
3) Because the body is curved you can have a direct line of support under the cutting point no matter where you are in your cut or how you've rolled your chisel
4) It's lighter
5) Most lathe tool sets come with an oval skew these days

Downsides of an Oval Skew
1) Pain in the rear end to sharpen
2) Less stable, especially with the long point down which makes certain cuts very hard
3) With no flat surface it's very hard to make a peeling cut
4) It's lighter
5) Less stable and more prone to flex

It's also popular on newer flat skews to see them with the edge on the inner side rounded to give a flat skew many of the benefits of the oval skew.

Honestly, either skew will perform whatever you need to do wonderfully if it's sharp and you practice with it so it really comes down to personal preference. Personally I prefer a flat skew, but you should try both if you can then pick the one you like more and just practice the hell out of it.

Edit: I've always liked this Alan Lacer video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhuGl7n-bNY. He's a bit overly hard on the oval skew (He sells Skew chisels ground to his "Lacer" dimension) but it also highlights what you can do with a skew and that a bigger lathe does small work as well as or better than a small lathe.

The junk collector fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 7, 2020

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Bad Munki posted:

It's a board you can get at least four of out of a log, obviously.

I thought this was obvious.

I also agree that 6" seems like a good number, but I think it also needs to be long enough to be turned into slats. Otherwise you can't flip them. So they need to be at least Full sized length.

I'd use those branches for much fun though. Even if it's just something stupid and small to mess around doing. I really wish I had a bandsaw instead of my table saw, but at the time, the table saw was what I thought I needed. I'm not sure it really matters though, I'd have to drag it outside anytime I want to use it either way right now and a decent bandsaw is not a tool that will stand for going up and down 3 stairs.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Rutibex posted:

A log is any cylinder piece of wood thats too heavy to lift over my head.

:psyduck:
I object.

Speaking of wood, my hatred for Home Depot (at least my nearest) grows more strongly.
I went looking for 2 4x4x8' cedar posts. The rack was full, but every one there was douglas fir. I didn't see any in bundles in the upper racks so I went down to the redwood posts. A total of 7, which have been in that rack since months ago when I asked them when they would be getting a new shipment of non-firewood grade. They DID have a banded bundle up above where the cedar posts SHOULD have been, and I asked two of the employees who were running the forktruck if they could get it down when they got a moment. They told me it would be a few minutes till they were done moving what they were moving.

10 minutes later I see them putting garbage cans on the fork truck and moving them to another spot in the store. 20 minutes later I see the fork truck idle and not a soul near it. 25 minutes later I ask a different guy if he could grab the FT and grab the bundle. "No" he said "I am not trained to use the FT". He told me I should go ask at the pro desk. 5 minutes later I go ask ANOTHER different employee to get them down, explaining that he was the 3rd person I have tried to get the help of. He wanders off and suddenly the original 2 boneheads appear, faces all scowly, as if a customer asking for available product was something they should not have to deal with.

I really wanted at that point to whip out my inner Karen and go on a rampage at the manager.

They FINALLY got the bundle down and placed on the rack, and nearly every piece that I sorted through (3 levels) was poo poo-grade.

Other racks were completely empty, like 60% of the redwood and cedar racks. Nobody could tell me if and when they may be getting more of anything in. I just walked around stupefied that a store could have a section where the ineptitude flourished like this. Which is really weird, because if you go to the garden, plumbing, electrical, etc sections, and those employees and products are all on top of things.

/end rant

For the record, my local lumber place would be happy to order stuff for me, but I would have to buy entire bundles at a time (redwood/cedar).

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 7, 2020

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Log checklist:

☐ Big
☐ Heavy
☐ Wood
☐ Better than Bad
☐ Good

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Huxley posted:

Log checklist:

☐ Big
☐ Heavy
☐ Wood
☐ Better than Bad
☐ Good

It must also roll down stairs.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Hasselblad posted:

Speaking of wood, my hatred for Home Depot (at least my nearest) grows more strongly.

From what I've been hearing, lumber stocks are depleted basically everywhere. Everyone's doing construction and nobody's doing logging, apparently?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I bought... some wood.

Had 300 board feet of cherry delivered to my shop today. My shop space has a loading dock with a freight elevator, which unloads right down the hallway from my workshop. Perfect. But they chose today to repaint the exterior trim on the building's windows, so the guy couldn't get the truck to the dock. So he dropped it in the middle of the parking lot. I had to haul the boards across the lot and up onto the loading dock, then from there into the elevator, then down the hallway to my shop. About an hour and a half of hauling boards. I'm loving pooped. Luckily it was a beautiful day to be doing a bunch of labor outside.

Anyway, this is enough wood for me to be choosy about grain for at least my next three or four projects. Hopefully it will last me through COVID times, and I can go back to picking through stacks on the other side.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Bad Munki posted:

It's a board you can get at least four of out of a log, obviously.

It has to be slat-grade also.

ColdPie posted:

I bought... some wood.

Had 300 board feet of cherry delivered to my shop today. My shop space has a loading dock with a freight elevator, which unloads right down the hallway from my workshop. Perfect. But they chose today to repaint the exterior trim on the building's windows, so the guy couldn't get the truck to the dock. So he dropped it in the middle of the parking lot. I had to haul the boards across the lot and up onto the loading dock, then from there into the elevator, then down the hallway to my shop. About an hour and a half of hauling boards. I'm loving pooped. Luckily it was a beautiful day to be doing a bunch of labor outside.

Anyway, this is enough wood for me to be choosy about grain for at least my next three or four projects. Hopefully it will last me through COVID times, and I can go back to picking through stacks on the other side.

:woof:!

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

From what I've been hearing, lumber stocks are depleted basically everywhere. Everyone's doing construction and nobody's doing logging, apparently?

Construction type wood doesn't seem all that rare, like pine and Douglas Fir. It is the cedar and redwood that are oddly unobtanium. Which is really bad for me, as it is what I build my hive bodies from. The redwood I COULD find had so many dings and scrapes from milling and transport, that what I did end up purchasing required a poo poo ton of sanding. Don't even get me started on the upward of a dozen staples I had to pull out of one.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Aug 8, 2020

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

Spookydonut posted:

Depending what you want to do, you might be better off getting a really nice track saw instead of a budget table saw.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Great advice, do you need to break down sheet goods (track saw) or do you have a project in mind you're buying the saw for? £200 on a sheppach tracksaw/long track/clamps/sheet of insulation as a cutting surface will do a hell of a lot.

I have a lot of off cuts and scrappy pieces of wood that I have collected, I don't have a jointer and figured if I get a tablesaw I could use it to both joint edges and use it in the future for cutting down sheets.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Sounds like you need a small jointer and a track saw honestly. I wouldn't be happy trying to break down an 8'x4' sheet on anything less than a full sized table saw.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Vier posted:

I have a lot of off cuts and scrappy pieces of wood that I have collected, I don't have a jointer and figured if I get a tablesaw I could use it to both joint edges and use it in the future for cutting down sheets.

You want a serious jig for doing real little stuff on a tablesaw but it's doable. You might be better served by clamping a handplane upside down in a bench vice. Just how small are the scraps you want to work with? Are you gluing them up into larger pieces?

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

The junk collector posted:

You want a serious jig for doing real little stuff on a tablesaw but it's doable. You might be better served by clamping a handplane upside down in a bench vice. Just how small are the scraps you want to work with? Are you gluing them up into larger pieces?

I had not thought of clamping a handplane, my only issue with buying a jointer is that I am limited on space.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
what size wood are you talking? I wouldn't put small pieces through a powered jointer. The wood needs to be able to rest on both tables over the knives. So you are usually limited to around 12-15in length minimum. A table saw can make a straight edge on smaller pieces with a jointer sled that clamps the board down. Then you use that edge to parallel the opposite. However breaking down 8x4 sheet goods is still a massive pain on a tablesaw, almost impossible by yourself. I use a Kreg circular saw track and jig to break them down to manageable sizes for the tablesaw.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If you have space limitations a 4" or 6" jointer not only takes up less space than a table saw but is significantly more portable.

Speaking of which I recently used my tracksaw to trim plywood sheathing in place, another advantage of being able to take the tool to the job rather than the other way around.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

ColdPie posted:

I bought... some wood.

Looks like there is some really nice stuff in there-excited to see what it turns into!

The junk collector posted:

Highlights of the Oval skew
1) It moves easier across the rest because of less contact surface
2) You can "roll" it for theoretically smaller beads and coves
3) Because the body is curved you can have a direct line of support under the cutting point no matter where you are in your cut or how you've rolled your chisel
4) It's lighter
5) Most lathe tool sets come with an oval skew these days

Downsides of an Oval Skew
1) Pain in the rear end to sharpen
2) Less stable, especially with the long point down which makes certain cuts very hard
3) With no flat surface it's very hard to make a peeling cut
4) It's lighter
5) Less stable and more prone to flex

It's also popular on newer flat skews to see them with the edge on the inner side rounded to give a flat skew many of the benefits of the oval skew.

Honestly, either skew will perform whatever you need to do wonderfully if it's sharp and you practice with it so it really comes down to personal preference. Personally I prefer a flat skew, but you should try both if you can then pick the one you like more and just practice the hell out of it.

Edit: I've always liked this Alan Lacer video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhuGl7n-bNY. He's a bit overly hard on the oval skew (He sells Skew chisels ground to his "Lacer" dimension) but it also highlights what you can do with a skew and that a bigger lathe does small work as well as or better than a small lathe.
Thanks! That video is really helpful actually.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Put together a steam bending setup last night (wanna make a scythe snath or several), but the steam source was too wimpy.

Thinking about buying a wallpaper remover, hear people use them as steam sources.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

His Divine Shadow posted:

Put together a steam bending setup last night (wanna make a scythe snath or several), but the steam source was too wimpy.

Thinking about buying a wallpaper remover, hear people use them as steam sources.

Nice, make some sweet wooden barrels.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Heavy interested in this

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Please review my posts in this thread from a couple years ago for what happens when you try to joint a small piece.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Gonna have to google this awesome name.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

We used a PVC pipe for the chamber to bend some handrail laminates and trim that went with. It's been so long now, I can't recall what we used for a steam source.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Mr. Mambold posted:

We used a PVC pipe for the chamber to bend some handrail laminates and trim that went with. It's been so long now, I can't recall what we used for a steam source.

We used wallpaper strippers at Sunseeker for small stuff that didnt need to go in the steam chamber.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I finished making the bed frame but I failed to take many pictures of the process. I was going for a pretty rustic look so I tried out milk paint. The packages of paint were way smaller than I thought they would be though so I really only got 1 coat on the whole thing, then I put some varnish over the top to protect it a bit. In the end it did come out looking like something you'd find slapped together in an old farmhouse I guess so objective achieved.

I attached the whole thing together with two of these on each corner since it's so chunky, I wasn't sure a single one would hold it: https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/hardware/bed-hardware/connectors/50302-knock-down-bed-hardware

I thought the visible lag bolts on the sides would bother me but I really don't even notice them for the most part. Plus "rustic"

I wanted the bed fairly high, plus I wanted there to be room to put rolling drawers under it in future

Final thing in place:

Headboard:

Uhh, don't cut holes for the lag bolts and THEN try to use the chamfer bit on the router to cut the edges:

Footboard in progress:

Assembled and finished corner in place:

A quick look at the slats:

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

That turned out real nice. Great work.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Squibbles posted:

I finished making the bed frame but I failed to take many pictures of the process. I was going for a pretty rustic look so I tried out milk paint. The packages of paint were way smaller than I thought they would be though so I really only got 1 coat on the whole thing, then I put some varnish over the top to protect it a bit. In the end it did come out looking like something you'd find slapped together in an old farmhouse I guess so objective achieved.

I attached the whole thing together with two of these on each corner since it's so chunky, I wasn't sure a single one would hold it: https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/hardware/bed-hardware/connectors/50302-knock-down-bed-hardware

I thought the visible lag bolts on the sides would bother me but I really don't even notice them for the most part. Plus "rustic"

I wanted the bed fairly high, plus I wanted there to be room to put rolling drawers under it in future

Final thing in place:

Headboard:

Uhh, don't cut holes for the lag bolts and THEN try to use the chamfer bit on the router to cut the edges:

Footboard in progress:

Assembled and finished corner in place:

A quick look at the slats:

A slatmeister approaches. Also, pullout drawers underneath are such a bonus. Good work.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Bad Munki posted:

The two big logs I have here are both walnut.

So I was totally 100% wrong on this, it turns out.

The tree it came from somehow lived and blew up with greenery this year, in spite of being nothing more than an 8' stump all last year. That's super cool! And I grabbed some foliage when I was driving by the guy's house today. Long story short, I must have totally manufactured my memory of there being walnuts at play when we worked on this thing.

Some sort of ash, it would appear.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Mr. Mambold posted:

A slatmeister approaches. Also, pullout drawers underneath are such a bonus. Good work.

We came to party rock,
Everybody its on!
Let's go!
Slats, slats, slats, slats, slats, slats,

Slats, slats, slats, slats, slats,
Slats, slats, slats, slats, slats,
Everybody!
Slats, slats, slats, slats, slats, slats

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Bad Munki posted:

So I was totally 100% wrong on this, it turns out.

The tree it came from somehow lived and blew up with greenery this year, in spite of being nothing more than an 8' stump all last year. That's super cool! And I grabbed some foliage when I was driving by the guy's house today. Long story short, I must have totally manufactured my memory of there being walnuts at play when we worked on this thing.

Some sort of ash, it would appear.

That makes sense. The grain on the bottom right especially is very ashy up to that knot or fork, whatever the yellow area is. That top log has way more figure in it than I've ever seen in ash (a good thing?) It's really pretty.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Did a shitload of laminating last night, cutting up scrap pieces of various sizes and puzzling it all together into this massive lump. Next step is to clean it up and laminate the outside with some prettier wood, then fit some iron banding around it and place it so it stands on the end grain, then I will fit the anvil I bought, so it's an anvil stand:

Also note the white patch on the steam bending pipe in the background of the first pic, silicone. Dug the center piece from the holesaw out of the trash and glued it back on, since I bought one of those steam machines I showed a pic of and the hose is much smaller.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Aug 10, 2020

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

I made something very similar several years back but I used a fabric steamer that I found at goodwill as the steam source. Worked pretty well.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Ok, I'm finally calling this thing done. 90% of the work took place over about 2 weekends, the other 10% over ~6 months...

This is my first real solo project. I've done some light framing, shelf building, etc, but nothing that really needed to be finished. The original concept was for it to be super cheap, maybe even free, just from pallet wood or whatever I could find and be mainly unfinished because it's in a garage and it will probably get beat on by tools. But I was too lazy to go collect pallets and source free wood and as I started working on it and figuring out what I wanted I made it slightly nicer looking (and more expensive) than originally planned, so it's kind of a weird hybrid now. I'm gonna estimate I spent, I dunno, $400? not including any tools I bought, which were many, and not counting my beginner's tax of stuff I bought because I wasn't sure what I was doing.

It's made of almost entirely cheap pine, 2x4s, some construction grade ply, cheap 1x pine, except the top which is cheap birch ply and the border is red oak. No advanced joinery or anything, just pocket holes for the most part, some glue, some brad nails. Sealed with 3 coats of Arm R Seal.

I built one stool for $6 out of 2x2s right at the beginning. Turns out that is all I'll need for a while. Thanks Covid!

The veneer on this ply was microscopically thin, and I sanded through a few spots, and had some glue spots that didn't stain evenly, but the grain came out pretty nice. I looked through every board for the one with the nicest grain. General Finish Antique Walnut gel stain.

Here you can see where I accidentally cut one of the miters backwards, so I had to make it a compound corner. Actually I probably should have done all the corner like that but oh well.

The inside is less finished, but it's mostly for storage anyway. I might stain the inside one day, or add more trim.

I designed the frame with extra space in the corner so I can store my lawnmower.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Wood-crimes claw foot legs turned out actually pretty OK, considering. Made the project about $150 cheaper than buying the legs from Lowes/HD.

And alongside the one I made 5-6 years ago. Finishes don't match, but I feel lucky the two new ones I did at the same time match.

Not bad for a weekend job. School starts next Wednesday.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So I got my "mini" set of wood turning tools from Amazon before the lathe arrived and they seems a bit too "mini" for me. Specifically the Roughing Gouge looked way smaller than anything the people in the videos were using. So I ordered a separate one to replace it, the biggest one available and it was itself just as expensive as the entire set of mini tools. It arrived today and I wasn't quite prepared for just how big it would be.......

Mini Gouge next to it for scale. This thing is bigger than my WW1 bayonet

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
Bigger the handle the more control and less strain on the wrist. The mini sets are good for things like pens but I'd pick up a set from PSI or the likes as a "starter" set. Then spend the $100-$150 a tool for those you find you use the most. That way you don't gently caress up a nice tool learning how to sharpen them.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

JEEVES420 posted:

Bigger the handle the more control and less strain on the wrist. The mini sets are good for things like pens but I'd pick up a set from PSI or the likes as a "starter" set. Then spend the $100-$150 a tool for those you find you use the most. That way you don't gently caress up a nice tool learning how to sharpen them.

Hopefully this will be all the tools I need. I am only planning to make wands and chess pieces so I don't think I'll need any bigger tools. But I wanted this big spindle gouge to at least get the random scrap wood I'm using into the correct rough shape. I haven't sharpened anything yet, I'm scared I will mess it up :ohdear:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Rutibex posted:

Hopefully this will be all the tools I need. I am only planning to make wands and chess pieces so I don't think I'll need any bigger tools. But I wanted this big spindle gouge to at least get the random scrap wood I'm using into the correct rough shape. I haven't sharpened anything yet, I'm scared I will mess it up :ohdear:

Mods probate this blasphemer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Huxley posted:

Wood-crimes claw foot legs turned out actually pretty OK, considering. Made the project about $150 cheaper than buying the legs from Lowes/HD.

And alongside the one I made 5-6 years ago. Finishes don't match, but I feel lucky the two new ones I did at the same time match.

Not bad for a weekend job. School starts next Wednesday.
Those came out great. The legs are kind of cool really-almost look sort of Chinese(and definitely look like they are about to take off and skitter around the room like a spider)

Rutibex posted:

You probably will mess them up but it's okay! That's how you learn not to mess them up. There's not a whole lot you can really gently caress up on an HSS tool unless you grind it until it starts turning red.