Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I have over one hundred million credits on MechWarrrior Online, but I rarely use them.
I wish there was a way to gift other players this ridiculous surplus of credits.

(I just upgraded the machine guns on my Nova, but it only cost me 62,000)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

websites that enforce ip-based localization including language settings which you cant change, aliexpress does this but also a lot of corporate websites. its annoying especially when it was done with the idea that people in a country only speak one language and would want all of their stuff in that language

the xbox app is especially stupid about it because while i set the language of my profile to english, the app still detects a dutch IP and my credit card is dutch as well, so the app is basically in english but with weird bits of dutch wedged in here and there, like the title of the recommended games tab is in dutch. spotify does this as well

i also think i prefer to be datamined so that the website knows what kind of stuff i actually like rather than get generic recommendations because those always include tedx and i dont want to be reminded that that exists

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Aliexpress lets you change language and currency?

admittedly it does keep resetting the currency for me to USD, probably because people in the Aliexpress thread in GBS aren't stripping the extra metadata from the URLs they link.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

CJacobs posted:

My neighbor across the street doesn't keep his dog on a leash when he takes it for walks. Any time it starts to wander off he goes "EYY" and it turns around and comes right back. While it's admirable that you have your dog trained enough that it listens to you consistently, you could solve the problem of shouting "EYY" at it all the time if you just put it on a leash like a normal person.

As if you'd waste all the money it costs to get your dog trained at the Fonzarelli School.

Phrakusca
Feb 16, 2011
I have the inverse problem to the dogs off lead where they shouldn't be.

Where I live, the by-laws allow for dogs to be off the lead in the public parks run by the council, which I have to helpfully - and repeatedly - explain to people when they decide they're going to police me about it. If the dogs are accosting people, harming the wildlife or continually running out of sight then you're supposed to get them under control (which can mean picking them up if they're small enough or putting them on the lead) but that's never been the case. Instead, it's always the case that my dogs have the temerity to walk or run nearby somebody. These people then just start making up all sort of poo poo to convince me I'm in the wrong.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Shibawanko posted:

websites that enforce ip-based localization including language settings which you cant change, aliexpress does this but also a lot of corporate websites. its annoying especially when it was done with the idea that people in a country only speak one language and would want all of their stuff in that language

the xbox app is especially stupid about it because while i set the language of my profile to english, the app still detects a dutch IP and my credit card is dutch as well, so the app is basically in english but with weird bits of dutch wedged in here and there, like the title of the recommended games tab is in dutch. spotify does this as well

i also think i prefer to be datamined so that the website knows what kind of stuff i actually like rather than get generic recommendations because those always include tedx and i dont want to be reminded that that exists

Almost every electronic device I've used in my adult life has had somewhere in North America as the set location but France french as the input and UI language and it constantly causes small annoyances.

Earlier this year spotify stopped working unless your language and your location matched up, which... why

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

ookiimarukochan posted:

Aliexpress lets you change language and currency?

admittedly it does keep resetting the currency for me to USD, probably because people in the Aliexpress thread in GBS aren't stripping the extra metadata from the URLs they link.

it apparently changes if you looked at an item from a different region (for example, someone links you to something), and then it stubbornly refuses to change back until you clear your cookies, according to people in the aliexpress thread. i havent had this problem personally but it did address me as "Hi US customer!"

for me, dutch is the language i use for communicating with family (japanese for the other side of the family), but english is the only acceptable computer language, i get annoyed seeing poo poo in dutch on my screen. even some games occasionally auto translate into dutch if you arent careful, i had a friend who couldn't install left for dead 2 in english so all of the chapter names were in dutch which sounds incredibly stupid

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
my pet peeve is other people's dogs. i do not want to interact with strange dogs, ever, anywhere, especially not in public. i don't care whether the dog is legally allowed to wander around off-leash and come over to interact with me, i still don't want to interact with anyone's loving dog. I'm scared of them, it doesn't matter how many times you tell me your precious dog is the world's one true harmless angel, that's what everyone says including the owners of the dogs which have bitten me in the past. keep your loving dog the gently caress away from me thank you

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I've been receiving voice mails from an unknown number in Ontario.
I know that they are coming from a collection agency regarding my student loans.
The problem and my peeve is that they never say who they are or why they're calling.
Recently they've started to leave messages saying poo poo like "Hello [my name], we have a great business opportunity for you, call us back!"
Like just loving tell me how much I owe, we can work out a payment plan, you don't need to try and trick me.
Christ.

The Mighty Moltres has a new favorite as of 16:39 on Aug 5, 2020

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

These videos of someone in a corner of a video of someone else doing something. There’s a video of a dude like saying he’s gonna do a trick shot and in the corner there’s a girl watching and he makes it and she goes “wow he made it” and then it goes to a cat falling over and she laughs and says “it fell over”. I’m watching a video of a video of a video and I don’t understand why.

I’m old.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

oldpainless posted:

These videos of someone in a corner of a video of someone else doing something. There’s a video of a dude like saying he’s gonna do a trick shot and in the corner there’s a girl watching and he makes it and she goes “wow he made it” and then it goes to a cat falling over and she laughs and says “it fell over”. I’m watching a video of a video of a video and I don’t understand why.

I’m old.

more like... oldpainless

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

oldpainless posted:

I’m old.

Yeah, reaction videos are weird. There's even an OTA channel called TBD that will show blocks of it, on TV, because it's such a weird rear end channel.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, reaction videos are weird. There's even an OTA channel called TBD that will show blocks of it, on TV, because it's such a weird rear end channel.

Yeah I have a twitch channel showing my face as I watch this. My onlyfans shows my balls.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I will admit to watching one genre of reaction video which is young people reacting to old ("old", like, before 2005 even) music, but mostly bc it's fun to watch people get excited about art

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Killingyouguy! posted:

I will admit to watching one genre of reaction video which is young people reacting to old ("old", like, before 2005 even) music, but mostly bc it's fun to watch people get excited about art

I admit that I like to watch Irish people eat (weird) American food videos, but they're actually eating food

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Yeah eating videos are definitely a different genre from reaction videos
Go one layer deeper, people reacting to videos of other people eating weird American food

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Scottish people react to Americans trying Scottish foods

Australians react to Russian dashcams

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

most reaction videos are fake and obnoxiously overacted bullshit but they can be very fun when its a genuine reaction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-6ace-PGSw these tend to be really fun and seem real enough

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I remember liking Ned Stark death reaction videos back in the day but they kept doing GoT ones and like, people had to be overacting after that because after the first time how do you not get suspicious when your smug book reader friend whips out their phone at the end of the penultimate episode of the season

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

most reaction videos are fake and obnoxiously overacted bullshit but they can be very fun when its a genuine reaction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-6ace-PGSw these tend to be really fun and seem real enough
Thanks for this. I was smiling like an idiot the whole time. :3:

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i seem to remember the first few reaction videos being like “let’s get grandma or some army dudes to watch 2g1c” and those were pretty funny

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

said this before but appropriate today: people who defend the atomic bombings "because it ended the war" etc are swines

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I like watching videos of drummers, and YouTube is constantly trying to get me to watch videos of other people reacting to videos of those drummers. I watched one which had like 250k+ views and it was boring and stupid, but all the comments were fawning over how hilarious the reacting guy was. I'm baffled.

Also, whenever I leave YouTube on, it always just repeats the same few videos again and again. Like, there's a live concert dvd uploaded on YouTube, with every single track on there individually... But it just shows me the same two, over and over. Why is this?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

if you like to listen to japanese music, any japanese music at all, youtube will try to shove "plastic love" down your throat

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Shibawanko posted:

if you like to listen to japanese music, any japanese music at all, youtube will try to shove "plastic love" down your throat

In this case it is correct to do so

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

InediblePenguin posted:

my pet peeve is other people's dogs. i do not want to interact with strange dogs, ever, anywhere, especially not in public. i don't care whether the dog is legally allowed to wander around off-leash and come over to interact with me, i still don't want to interact with anyone's loving dog. I'm scared of them, it doesn't matter how many times you tell me your precious dog is the world's one true harmless angel, that's what everyone says including the owners of the dogs which have bitten me in the past. keep your loving dog the gently caress away from me thank you

I kinda feel the same but not so much about the dogs, just irresponsible/careless owners. I've run into so many people in my apartment complex alone who let their dogs off leash (or one guy whose dachshund slipped it's collar/lead the other day & I luckily caught it before it bolted into the street) that it's insane. I've been seeing a ton more posts on social media sites in my area about dogs escaping yards as well, I don't get it. I guess the takeaway for me is that people shouldn't get dogs if they have no desire to train them properly or do anything but shove them into a back yard or kennel.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

yeah like honestly my fear of dogs is only of dogs off-the-leash/away from their owners because i have no idea what a strange dog is going to be like or how it is going to act and if its owner is somewhere else in the park, not attached to the dog by a leash, i don't even know who the gently caress raised it and it's safest for me to assume it was raised by a complete rear end in a top hat who'll let their dog get off the leash and bite me. THEORETICALLY dogs are, like, good boys or whatever, i guess, but IRL if i'm in the fuckin park and some random-rear end unaccompanied dog approaches me gently caress you if you think i'm supposed to just loving trust that YOU are a Good Dog Owner Whose Dog Is Responsible Enough To Be Left Off The Leash In Public, rear end in a top hat

unrelated pet peeve from Essential Supermarket Work: if you decided to pack all the poo poo you're buying into a box or something, don't just loving huck the box up onto the loving conveyor belt and make ME loving unpack it one loving item at a time to loving scan it. YOU loving unpack it onto the loving conveyor belt, YOU'RE not being loving timed on how quickly you're scanning poo poo, bucky, you're absolutely loving me over AND being a pain in my rear end

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I kinda feel the same but not so much about the pets, just irresponsible/careless owners. I guess the takeaway for me is that people shouldn't get pets if they have no desire to train them properly or do anything but shove them into a back yard or kennel.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
This article describes a peeve: stupidly large and unnecessarily dangerous trucks and SUVs being all the rage today. https://theweek.com/articles/929196/case-against-american-truck-bloat?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I don't begrudge people buying trucks who genuinely need them to haul poo poo but let's not pretend that 75k death machines are hauling more than the occasional home depot purchase.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This article describes a peeve: stupidly large and unnecessarily dangerous trucks and SUVs being all the rage today. https://theweek.com/articles/929196/case-against-american-truck-bloat?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I don't begrudge people buying trucks who genuinely need them to haul poo poo but let's not pretend that 75k death machines are hauling more than the occasional home depot purchase.

I know someone that leased a pickup truck, which is easily the dumbest thing they could have done. If they use it for actual truck stuff they’re going to end up owing a ton of money at the end of the lease, so they use it as a daily driver and pay an insane amount of money in gas.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

:same:

I've been saying it for years, but I would kill for a modern run at the Ranchero/El Camino/Brat. I don't want a truck, but I also don't need a rear seat, and it would be nice to be able to get some big things at IKEA without having to rent or try to con someone into helping me. Even the lightest trucks out there right now are way too much truck for me.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Iron Crowned posted:

:same:

I've been saying it for years, but I would kill for a modern run at the Ranchero/El Camino/Brat. I don't want a truck, but I also don't need a rear seat, and it would be nice to be able to get some big things at IKEA without having to rent or try to con someone into helping me. Even the lightest trucks out there right now are way too much truck for me.

The Ranchero and El Camino also look cool as hell.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

thirding that opinion

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Chevy tried it in the early 2000s but it didn't go over too well.

https://www.hagerty.com/media/valuation/retro-sport-truck-chevrolet-ssr-hot-collector/

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

That's because the SSR was Chevy trying to muscle in on that sweet, sweet PT Cruiser, which no one wanted either.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

It looks like an El Camino got stung by bees.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

rodbeard posted:

It looks like an El Camino got stung by bees.

Yeah, I mean if they just took an Impala and turned the back half into a bed, I would be on the waiting list tomorrow (even though I hate Chevys)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yup.

I have an old pickup, 1999 Mazda B4000, which is just a re-badged Ranger, and it's really the upper limit of what I want in terms of truck size. but unless I stick to only 90's/early 2000's trucks that are getting older and rustier, I will have to get something bigger at some point if I want to continue to own/use a truck.

gently caress the chicken tax and the slow death of the light duty import caused by it. Obviously not the only cause, because that wasn't forcing Ford, GMC, etc... to either kill their light duty trucks or make them as big as older-era medium or large duty, but it didn't help.

Word play aside, the US trend of larger trucks/SUVs is a chicken and egg scenario...do Americans buy large trucks because that's all there is/all that's marketed, or did manufacturers stop making smaller ones because Americans demanded only big trucks?

I think I might just go into that car importing thread in AI and look into what it takes to get myself a sweet mid-90's Hilux or similar when my current one finally dies.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

If I pause between customers to wipe things down with disinfectant i get yelled at by customers for implying they're dirty and spoken to by management for taking too long to ring people up and doing cleaning work when there's a line? If I DON'T do that i get yelled at by customers for putting their health at risk and spoken to by management for failing to follow the covid cleaning process? i want to stab everyone including myself??????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

InediblePenguin posted:

If I pause between customers to wipe things down with disinfectant i get yelled at by customers for implying they're dirty and spoken to by management for taking too long to ring people up and doing cleaning work when there's a line? If I DON'T do that i get yelled at by customers for putting their health at risk and spoken to by management for failing to follow the covid cleaning process? i want to stab everyone including myself??????

:capitalism: