Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
leg grips when standing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Razzled posted:

leg grips when standing

Yeah, they stop your legs (and consequently body) from slipping back when youre riding standing up.

40oz of fury
Sep 24, 2007

Put the Akrapovič can on, since the stock can with the Akra header was saving too many lives. Also installed PAIR blockoff plates and shorter velocity stacks in the airbox. Then I went for a short ride and took this lovely photo.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

builds character posted:

Yeah, they stop your legs (and consequently body) from slipping back when youre riding standing up.

I added em so that i'd stop smoking my fuckin legs riding this big stupid thing on desert whoops while fooling myself into playing keep up with friends that are better riders, on proper bikes.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

40oz of fury posted:

Put the Akrapovič can on, since the stock can with the Akra header was saving too many lives. Also installed PAIR blockoff plates and shorter velocity stacks in the airbox. Then I went for a short ride and took this lovely photo.

The Z900RS is such a good-looking bike, it's completely baffling why the rest of Kawasaki's range look like child's drawings of KTMs.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The Z900RS is such a good-looking bike, it's completely baffling why the rest of Kawasaki's range look like child's drawings of KTMs.

:yeah:

The Sugomi styling of the rest of their range... Not for me.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The reason why is because, like the one other inarguably beautiful bike in their lineup the W800, it's a modernised take on an older bike:

Pictured is a 1976 Z900.

e/ contemporary vehicle design is a mess imo because good art comes from limitation, and modern CAD/CAM tools are the opposite of limiting. Creases and weird angles in metal used to be extremely difficult, but now they're very easy, so we get bikes that are just a loving pile of creases and angles.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 2, 2020

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

cursedshitbox posted:

I added em so that i'd stop smoking my fuckin legs riding this big stupid thing on desert whoops while fooling myself into playing keep up with friends that are better riders, on proper bikes.

How do you like them?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

The reason why is because, like the one other inarguably beautiful bike in their lineup the W800, it's a modernised take on an older bike:

Pictured is a 1976 Z900.

e/ contemporary vehicle design is a mess imo because good art comes from limitation, and modern CAD/CAM tools are the opposite of limiting. Creases and weird angles in metal used to be extremely difficult, but now they're very easy, so we get bikes that are just a loving pile of creases and angles.

This has been my theory for years, previously designers had to make their designs out of clay or wood, actually feeling the shape and seeing it from every angle, as part of the design process. CAD means that they never have to deal with that step. In particular every modern bike seems to have at least one really awkward angle somewhere that breaks the line of the bike completely and is really obviously just something that's been quickly moved in CAD to accomodate something.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This has been my theory for years, previously designers had to make their designs out of clay or wood, actually feeling the shape and seeing it from every angle, as part of the design process. CAD means that they never have to deal with that step. In particular every modern bike seems to have at least one really awkward angle somewhere that breaks the line of the bike completely and is really obviously just something that's been quickly moved in CAD to accommodate something.

Agreed. Modern bikes look like they were designed by industrial design students then the design crammed together at the end of the semester. Atleast we get lighter more compact engines out of the mix and sweet sweet technology packages.

builds character posted:

How do you like them?

enough to build a second set. :v: on this obese dad bike? absolutely worth the hassle. Gripping the bike and steering with your legs gets easier. They give you the ability to shift your weight far to the rear while standing without loading the bars. Their main marketing thing is arm pump, though I don't notice that one as much unless I'm tired. Also useful for road going shenanigans.

Without em I smoke the poo poo outta my quads on the whoops working them as a secondary dampener to the bikes suspension while also trying to stay neutral on the bike. So far I've only done Northern California rock gardens and trails with these and haven't gotten back to the desert with the pegs or the reworked suspension because 2020 just fuckin sucks.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 2, 2020

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
Aspencade rear caliper rebuild is done. Tried a test ride today and the fronts dragged so much that I had to dump water on them when I returned to cool them off. Pulled the reservoir and poked around the pressure relief hole with one of my wife's super fine beading needles and it literally pissed over my shoulder when I cleared it. Front brakes were perfect after that, but another test run revealed that the rear needs the same treatment.

It runs rough but strong enough. Definitely better than the last time I rode it when the plugs fouled mid ride, which is what caused me to PNO it in the first place.

KTM content: uh... both my neighbors have KTMs. Hopefully this offsets my Oldwing mutterings and appeases the thread gods.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
KTM's require the same mutterings and incantations you are doing to your cade, but aren't an affront to the eyes like any oldwing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

KTM's require the same mutterings and incantations you are doing to your cade, but aren't made properly like any oldwing.

Fixed.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Coydog posted:

an affront to the eyes like any oldwing.

Finally, I feel seen.

[Edit: DMV finally confirmed the GL1100 reg sticker is coming. Had to open a case on the virtual office to get the answer.]

AnnoyBot fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 5, 2020

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Today I found out how alarmingly fragile OEM yamaha oil filters are in the grip of 3" channel locks.

I actually torqued the new filter to spec so I'm curious if I'll have to resort to the jaws of life again next time.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Owning a strap wrench and an oil filter wrench (looks like weird channel locks) has saved me from puncturing/tearing a shitload of oil filters. Filter cap wrenches work really well but they only fit one size of filter and I don't do single-use tools unless I absolutely have to.

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 11, 2020

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I went out and bought a cheap lovely cap socket for my first oil change but it was no match for my manly gorilla handed installation this time around. I should have just bought a strap wrench but I was afraid it wouldn't fit, but if the channel locks did then I'm sure a small strap wrench will be fine. Live and learn

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The last two times I did my oil I put the filter on finger tight, just enough to compress the o-ring. Both times it started shaking loose exactly when the oil was due for a change.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Forbidden oil life gauge

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I just go hand tight then a tiny bit extra with a wrench, or 3/4 of a turn after the filter first touches the engine.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
And on to the rear master cylinder rebuild; it leaked pretty bad after clearing the pressure return hole. That pretty much covers the whole system, so unless some poo poo just straight up breaks in half there's nothing left to fix after this, brakewise.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

me truing spoked road wheels after bonking them on a rock:

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
I imagine truing a wheel when you have for sure brand new straight rims and spokes is probably pretty neat and zen but I've never had that and it's a process of self doubt and sinking morality

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

GriszledMelkaba posted:

I imagine truing a wheel when you have for sure brand new straight rims and spokes is probably pretty neat and zen but I've never had that and it's a process of self doubt and sinking morality

No it's still a miserable experience only enjoyed by people with very thick beards and glasses.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

No it's still a miserable experience only enjoyed by people with very thick beards and glasses.

Thick beards and thick glasses, or glasses and thick beards?

I have a thick beard and thick glasses and enjoyed the one time I did it on a moto wheel. Wasn't too bad off to begin with though.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

SV 650 S had a weird clutch feeling. Absolutely no free play. Turns out dealer adjusted it that way on the motor side of the cable. I prefer a good amount of free play as it gives me peace of mind that the clutch is fully enganged with the entire pressure it can have, so i loosen the motorside lock nut and start turning the adjuster. Nothing happens.

This weirds me out. Clearly the adjuster is threaded and it goes into a well fitting hole and the lock nut is on the outside, so i wonder why the hell nothing happens when i turn the adjuster.

Turns out the Hole is a threadless through hole and the adjustment is done with another Nut on the inside of the sprocket housing. i was puzzled for half an hour wtf was going on.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Did a few things to the Motobecane this week - new petcock, exhaust gasket, carburetor, and coil. Runs better than it ever has and now it’s not leaking fuel and smoke out of the exhaust port.

https://youtu.be/r0ONrRgJUlo

In Puch news I have a 70cc Treatland kit and an assortment of jets on the way. The bike sat for like 15 years and I got it unstuck but it was definitely not long for this world as it developed a top end noise. Nothing that $100 won’t fix.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 14, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

:hellyeah:

https://youtu.be/w_kIUSr7-is

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

How have I never heard this before when I even somehow know the original song AND it came out in 2007?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Throw a kit is CA lore at this point, and is an inseparable part of our history.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKYsBAO7IYs

?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
This is also a contender
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isj0oBjfrxE

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This is incredible, makes for an excellent ringtone.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yiiinnn yiiiinnnn

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJLTn10E0OY

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

oh poo poo I forgot about this one, vroom vroom VROOM

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You’re welcome

https://youtu.be/UZEFNHod_DU

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

That ones unironically good though

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Birdy Nam Nam owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Legitimately an amazing track and video that I watch every single time.