Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I still can't decide if I think Dark Souls's ephemeral co-op system is sublime and brilliant or a giant pain in the rear end that actively makes the games worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

It can be both at the same time, plus its still better than bloodbornes.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Zoig posted:

So hellpoint is a recent soulslike that despite its flaws i have grown to love, lots of hidden nooks and crannies to find stuff in, but the nice small touch is that it genuinely does some things better than dark souls and one of them is coop, aside from entering it. If the host dies in coop they don't kick the partner out, it just respawns both players and if the coop partner dies they can be rezzed. But the really nice thing is you can actually go to other areas in coop and keep your partner.

Its like they knew people like doing coop playthroughs and did what theu could to make it easy.

I hadn't heard of this, it does sound cool but this looks janky as hell lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOK8HtmDOVs

TheMostFrench has a new favorite as of 05:43 on Aug 7, 2020

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Zoig posted:

It can be both at the same time, plus its still better than bloodbornes.

Well, how quaint. You scoff at the League? Then you are yourself a beast. A defiled mess of rotten flesh! When you are dead, your rank blood will curdle with vermin!

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

CJacobs posted:

The weather is supposed to represent the spirit of Jin's father guiding him, not in a literal mystical sense but more metaphorically.

are you windy, son?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

U.T. Raptor posted:

The first four Suikoden games (but not the fifth :argh:) are all available digitally on the PSN now

Oh poo poo! Thanks!

e: Can't play them on PS4, dammit!

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

TheMostFrench posted:

I hadn't heard of this, it does sound cool but this looks janky as hell lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOK8HtmDOVs

That video is 100 accurate but luckily pretty much all those bugs are more harmless and ignoreable compared to how it was on inital relase.

I really love how open ended the game is because there's like a billion things where something from one area connects with another. Also its zone design can get really cool, they did the best they could with what would be a fairly samey looking space station and made it work.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Something neat that Youtube's recommended videos have made me aware of lately, due to Dan being announced for Street Fighter V's for-real-final-season:

The last Street Fighter season opened up with Kage, a physical manifestation of the Satsui no Hado, the evil energy that Akuma harnesses, that took form mostly to gently caress with Ryu. In Street Fighter's lore, the Satsui no Hado was mastered and used by Goutetsu, the man who trained both Akuma and Gouken (the guy who'd go on to train Ryu and Ken), and Ryu's whole story has largely been trying to keep it at bay.

Kage doesn't fight much like Ryu, though. Or Akuma, the guy that harnesses that energy the most. Or Gouken, the student of the guy who mastered it. Kage instead fights like the other guy that knows about this power, and who developed a fighting style of his own entirely out of a desire for vengeance.

Kage's moveset is a competent version of Dan's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-eusesuwBA

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

haveblue posted:

I loved that guy if only for the many, many variants of his catchphrase after the mission is complete

I don't know if it was a bug or intentional, but I went for the outcome of that quest where you kill him and spare his target and on the way out of the area, the now-dead guy said it one last time over the ECHO :stare:

I was so. freaking. paranoid on the way to the next mission.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Something neat that Youtube's recommended videos have made me aware of lately, due to Dan being announced for Street Fighter V's for-real-final-season:

The last Street Fighter season opened up with Kage, a physical manifestation of the Satsui no Hado, the evil energy that Akuma harnesses, that took form mostly to gently caress with Ryu. In Street Fighter's lore, the Satsui no Hado was mastered and used by Goutetsu, the man who trained both Akuma and Gouken (the guy who'd go on to train Ryu and Ken), and Ryu's whole story has largely been trying to keep it at bay.

Kage doesn't fight much like Ryu, though. Or Akuma, the guy that harnesses that energy the most. Or Gouken, the student of the guy who mastered it. Kage instead fights like the other guy that knows about this power, and who developed a fighting style of his own entirely out of a desire for vengeance.

Kage's moveset is a competent version of Dan's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-eusesuwBA

Not gonna lie, that just looks like they just swapped the skins and kept the same moves.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Something from Borderlands 3's Heist of the Handsome Jackpot DLC; Joy was a good boy with a heart of gold who just wanted a picnic :unsmith:. I really love how all the Vault Hunters are just totally down for it as well.

Heist was better than I'd feared. After bringing him back so many times I was sick to death of Handsome Jack, but the DLC was obviously written by different people who'd looked at the earlier games, agreed yeah this guy's a douche, and wrote a story about all the people whose lives he trashed along the way. The final boss using money as hitpoints was brilliant, and I kinda wish that had applied to the player too, but I can see why it wasn't for design reasons.

Also stuff like the VIP Doors meant it was the only place in any game with RPG mechanics where I actually cared about my basic currency level, beyond grinding. Even those were often used for some surprisingly good jokes, like a chain of increasingly expensive locked VIP doors leading to more and more opulent private rooms...

...behind the final and most expensive door is the only toilet.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

TontoCorazon posted:

Not gonna lie, that just looks like they just swapped the skins and kept the same moves.

would you believe those are two different videogames

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

flatluigi posted:

would you believe those are two different videogames

Don't know if that makes it better or worse.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I was talking about it in the game's main thread, but I've been loving Ghost of Tsushima's "terror" mechanic to no end. There's a chance that enemies will become terrified and flee if they see you kill someone or use specific weapons. By late game, I had an outfit that gave a base 30% chance of this, and I've found charms that make the chances 50%, 50%, and 25% more likely and equipped them all. It's just amazing when you can stealthily hit someone with a blow dart or arrow, and four or five other enemies fall on their rear end scrambling away before fleeing in a panic, without you even getting close enough to see.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

I was talking about it in the game's main thread, but I've been loving Ghost of Tsushima's "terror" mechanic to no end. There's a chance that enemies will become terrified and flee if they see you kill someone or use specific weapons. By late game, I had an outfit that gave a base 30% chance of this, and I've found charms that make the chances 50%, 50%, and 25% more likely and equipped them all. It's just amazing when you can stealthily hit someone with a blow dart or arrow, and four or five other enemies fall on their rear end scrambling away before fleeing in a panic, without you even getting close enough to see.

I kept on re-enacting that scene from Mulan, as they ran for their lives.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I mean, it's a fighting game, there's a rich tradition of moveset recycling. This one's just neat because they essentially used it to make a good version of a joke character.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Lore-wise, the fact that Dan can manifest even a lovely hadouken means he's actually insanely strong compared to a normal person, just not compared to godlike beings like Ryu or 16-year-old Japanese schoolgirls

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

The really cool thing about Terror is that it counts as a kill as far as the game is concerned for clearing out bases or whatnot.

So if you get a really good opening gambit you can take some camps out with a single move.

Honestly I feel like "holy poo poo that guy just killed four people in two seconds, I'm loving out of here" is far more plausible than "Maybe *I* will be the one who kills the human blender."

ImpAtom has a new favorite as of 21:51 on Aug 10, 2020

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

drat horror queefs posted:

Lore-wise, the fact that Dan can manifest even a lovely hadouken means he's actually insanely strong compared to a normal person, just not compared to godlike beings like Ryu or 16-year-old Japanese schoolgirls

That's one of my favorite things about Dan; he's only weak compared to the competition. He'd easily beat the poo poo out of most people.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
The Hercule/Mr. Satan/Krillan of Street Fighter

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

drat horror queefs posted:

16-year-old Japanese schoolgirls

Peace be upon them :hai:

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

yook posted:

The Hercule/Mr. Satan/Krillan of Street Fighter

Who was that one guy who always hung out with the baby clown and the dude with the third eye?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Just Offscreen posted:

Who was that one guy who always hung out with the baby clown and the dude with the third eye?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

ImpAtom posted:

The really cool thing about Terror is that it counts as a skill as far as the game is concerned for clearing out bases or whatnot.

So if you get a really good opening gambit you can take some camps out with a single move.

Honestly I feel like "holy poo poo that guy just killed four people in two seconds, I'm loving out of here" is far more plausible than "Maybe *I* will be the one who kills the human blender."

"Surely he must be exhausted, this could be my chance!"

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Just Offscreen posted:

Yamcha. An illiterate bandit who adventured with Goku early on and just kind of peaked before Dragon Ball Z aired, becoming more and more of a joke as the series went on. He dies so often it's a recurring joke--I'm pretty sure they play baseball at one point and he still manages to get killed, or at the very least absolutely rekt.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 20:26 on Aug 10, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

christmas boots posted:

"I'll try flexing three times, he'll never see it coming"

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

"I'll try flexing three times, he'll never see it coming"

To be fair I do fall for that like a quarter of the time

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The really cool thing about Terror is that it counts as a skill as far as the game is concerned for clearing out bases or whatnot.

christmas boots posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC375rujZhs

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I usually just assume henchmen or minions attack because they fear the worse alternative of their boss learning that they wussed out.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

It's because they're not unionised

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Midway through act 2 of Ghost of Tsushima you do get a little cutscene with the Khan and one of his minions where they say "Look the ghost is literally the best swordsman on the island, we cannot stab him, your bounty on him is just getting people killed".
To which the Khan just says "look there's lots of ways to kill someone, try something else".

Sadly this is brought down by the 'something else' later being sneaking up on Jin from behind and bonking him with a stick to knock him out.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

bewilderment posted:

Sadly this is brought down by the 'something else' later being sneaking up on Jin from behind and bonking him with a stick to knock him out.

I legit :lol:d at that, it's like the polar opposite of the "badass in cutscenes" trope

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
so adam jensen cutscene incompetence syndrome

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Phobophilia posted:

The worst part is he's extremely competent in other cutscenes (at one point in a sidequest someone is in disguise and he casually drops "yeah I know it's you") but apparently the writers had a major brain fart despite there definitely being a bunch of other ways for him to get captured that isn't that.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Phobophilia posted:

Farcry is way worse about this stuff but either way it’s always infuriating

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

guys we won the fight!!!
*cutscene begins*
guys we lost the fight

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I accept that video game protagonists must sometimes be put in perilous or unwinnable situations and cutscenes are one way of engineering that but "bonked on the head by a regular NPC you've killed a thousand times by now" is a bit weak.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Especially when the person in front of them keeps nervously looking behind them as the bonk-er approaches the bonk-ee.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Ruffian Price posted:

guys we won the fight!!!
*cutscene begins*
guys we lost the fight

Now multiply this by fifty and you got yourself an Ubisoft story. Farcry or Assassins Creed, doesn't matter both keep having them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Even worse is the classic unwinnable fight you have to still fight. Have fun wasting your resources! Or not because who doesn't finish RPGs with 999 elixirs