Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nut

I finished the Selected Works of T.S. Spivet and it was pretty cute though i'd say some of the last chapters leave a decent amount to be desired and it definitely functions better for the ride than the destination. Gonna tuck in2 the Nocilla Trilogy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer pal

dracula was pretty good but i found it dragged a bit through the middle.. like i wasnt that interested in the like beurocratic manouverings to track down all of draculas boxes of dirt. now im reading hard to be a god by the strugatsky bros of roadside picnic fame about a dude in the future whos under cover on another world thats in a feudal era & a vioelnt anti intellectual crackdown and hes all conflicted bc it sucks there but hes not allowed to intervene

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

take the moon

by sebmojo
kafka on the shore is p good. circumstances not quite right for nakamura rn

also almost done blood electric

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Ass-penny

Relax Or DIE posted:

i just read The Elementals and it was real good, not sure if I'm gonna move on to House of Leaves or The Master and Margarita

As someone who has read both House of Leaves and The Master and Margarita I'm here to tell you The Master and Margarita is the better book. Normally I wouldn't be so objective, and admittedly it's been almost 15 years since I read these books, but I loved the hell out of TMAM and House of Leaves just strikes me as a book I read because it was quirky and weird and begged reading for these reasons more than the characters or story line being compelling or interesting.

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

3D Megadoodoo

I didn't "get" the later portion of "Satan Arrives in Moscow"

cda

by Hand Knit

rear end-penny posted:

As someone who has read both House of Leaves and The Master and Margarita I'm here to tell you The Master and Margarita is the better book. Normally I wouldn't be so objective, and admittedly it's been almost 15 years since I read these books, but I loved the hell out of TMAM and House of Leaves just strikes me as a book I read because it was quirky and weird and begged reading for these reasons more than the characters or story line being compelling or interesting.

Yeah it's not even close.

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
There's one enjoyable part of House of Leaves -- the Navidson narrative -- and one really loving stupid slog of a part -- 90% of the Johnny Truant part. Like some of it is actively and openly the worst loving writing I've ever read in my life and what's so frustrating is that the other part is good enough that you know Danielewski didn't have to do the bad part as badly as he did -- he chose to make it like that.

----------------

beer pal

i agree. i thought it was kind of funny having a dumbass rear end in a top hat dude pop in all the time talking about some stupid bullshit for no reason but it gets old pretty quickly

cda

by Hand Knit

beer pal posted:

i agree. i thought it was kind of funny having a dumbass rear end in a top hat dude pop in all the time talking about some stupid bullshit for no reason but it gets old pretty quickly

I had no idea you felt that way about my posting :(

beer pal

lol

Pizzatime

Can anybody recommend the most generic fantasy book they ever read? Looking for heroes slaying dragons in dungeons.

Information I can offer would be: Name of the Wind (Fantasy): Good. The Priory of the Orange Tree (Fantasy): Less generic than I was hoping. Dresden Files (Mystery): More intriguing than I was expecting. Shadow of the Torturer (Fantasy): Would like to be less bored by. Dune (Sci-Fi): This book sure cares about politics. The Shadow Out of Time (Horror): Spoopy.

take the moon

by sebmojo
idk i saw someone talk positively about the second rhapsody book or maybe just saw it in a bookstore. the first one was fine and one of the chars is almost a ninja

is shadow of the torturer a gene wolfe? i liked what i read by him, but i forget the title. maybe it was shadow of the torturer lol

----------------

Pizzatime

it's by gene wolfe yeah, I got it recommended when I asked for books that you could somehow compare to the story of darksouls years ago but I never made it far into it

Bright Bart

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
If I just read around James Joyce's Ulysses, what even is that? Like, I read the introduction and the notes and such but not the actual text of the novel itself.

e: Can def. give you a barebones structure of what happpens so... it's like reading it?

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 11, 2020

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
imo Ulysses doesn't deserve it's reputation as being an "impossible novel" or whatever. It's actually quite readable and funny.

On the other hand, Finnegan's Wake :argh:

Although tbh I think that's a cool idea and one that Joyce would have probably supported.

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!

3D Megadoodoo

Pizzatime posted:

Can anybody recommend the most generic fantasy book they ever read? Looking for heroes slaying dragons in dungeons.

Information I can offer would be: Name of the Wind (Fantasy): Good. The Priory of the Orange Tree (Fantasy): Less generic than I was hoping. Dresden Files (Mystery): More intriguing than I was expecting. Shadow of the Torturer (Fantasy): Would like to be less bored by. Dune (Sci-Fi): This book sure cares about politics. The Shadow Out of Time (Horror): Spoopy.

The Dragonlance novels?

e: I read the first one but I sold it off a few decades ago and I don't remember the title.

Pizzatime

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The Dragonlance novels?

e: I read the first one but I sold it off a few decades ago and I don't remember the title.

They're amazing, thank you! Here's a chronological list if anyone else wants to check em out: https://www.bookseriesinorder.com/dragonlance/

3D Megadoodoo

Pizzatime posted:

They're amazing, thank you! Here's a chronological list if anyone else wants to check em out: https://www.bookseriesinorder.com/dragonlance/

Oh I do have Murder in Tarsis. I don't remember it being very good. It was either that or one of the other too Murder in Dungeons & Dragons books I have where it all boiled down to: "Ah you see the murderer is the hobbit, for he is not a real hobbit - see he has the wrong colour eyes!" or something to that effect. Very Arthur Doyle but in fantasy land.

e: I actually got a Dragonlance novel months ago from a "take a book, please" box but I've misplaced it. I just finished a book so I think I'll look for it!

Waterbed Wendy
I reread Dark Lord of Derkholm again the other week. Written by Dianna Wynn Jones who also wrote the more recognizable novel Howl's Moving Castle. This book is one of my favorite ya fantasy books because of how it calls out fantasy tropes and capitalism/exploitation.

Quick plot: it takes place in a fantasy world where a man from ostensibly our world has found a way to get to it and start the Tours. People from his world tour through the fantasy world and go on a long journey guided by a wizard and do a bunch of fantasy activities. These tours are basically ruining the fantasy world and exploiting it's resources and citizens so the man can make a ton of money. The book follows one wizard, Derk, who is chosen to be the host of the tours that year. He and his family of wizards and griffins must work together to pull off the elaborate plans. Things get pretty crazy!

It's not a classic tale, but all the tropes are represented and poked fun at quite a lot.

3D Megadoodoo

Found it!

Harold Fjord

Pizzatime posted:

Poul Anderson's The Broken Sword. I just finished and enjoyed it a ton. It's a bit of a mythology mashup. No dragons, but plenty of elves and trolls.

Musluk

Pizzatime posted:

Orconomics was a fun short read.

Tooth and Claw is a victorian drama. With dragons.

Then there's the Death Gate Cycle from the authors of Dragonlance, which isn't half bad, if you want a longer series.

Vanisheerrrrrr!!!

Finger Prince

Pizzatime posted:

I read every book on this list as a kid.
There is a notable drop off in quality as time goes on and they just keep churning them out. Highly recommended is the original trilogy (autumn, winter, and spring - skip summer, it's a sub-par afterthought written 10 years later.) and Legends. Tales and Tales 2 are decent hit and miss short story anthologies, but are worth a light read. Heroes is good and so is the Elven nations one, if I remember right. You'll probably start getting bored of it by then.

Ass-penny

beer pal posted:

What a great way to sum up the Johnny Truant part of the book.

Pizzatime posted:

Dresden Files (Mystery): More intriguing than I was expecting.

Which Dresden File did you read? I have read nearly that whole series, I think they change a lot throughout.

As to most generic fantasy books, have you read the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings yet? They were good stories, in spite of Tolkien's personal shortcomings. And hell, they pretty much set the bar for the genre?

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

3D Megadoodoo

Welp, just spoiled a book I'd just bought for myself. Never Google the author before reading something because some inconsiderate doodoohead Internet writer person will get you!

I paid 1€ so :shrug:

take the moon

by sebmojo
i dont watch movie trailers & dont read the backs of books before i read them :smuggo:

----------------

3D Megadoodoo

take the moon posted:

i dont watch movie trailers & dont read the backs of books before i read them :smuggo:

I thought I was safe as I only Googled the author but turns out it was his most popular book and purely by chance my eyes landed on some major spoilers as I was scanning the results because people were discussing them.

Waterbed Wendy
i just go by title and runntime

nut

I finished the first book in the nocilla trilogy, Nocilla Dream, which was surreal and incredible and fun in a very different way from most fiction I like.

I also finished the Jarkarta Method today which is very unbyob nonfic but really well explained history that is ultimately pretty depressing.

beer pal

im reading blindness by jose saramago its a very heavy book, hard to read at times. also i started listending to audio books for whem im in the car or on a walk etc and choosing books that im a bit curious of but a bit skeptical bc its a bit harder for me to focus than reaading with my eyes so i got the horror book ' im thinking of endng things' which i thought was bad and now im listening to normal people which i was curious about after seeing an interview with the author about its relationship to marxism but its sseeming like its not a book 'for me' which i thought might be the case

i cant get myself to read non fic lately but the jakarta method is one im interested in, i heard one or two interviews with the author on pod casts

cda

by Hand Knit
get the audio book of jr by william gaddis. i am telling everybody to do this. or if you havent read lincoln in the bardo, you can get the audio book of that too. those are the two best audio books i know of.

----------------

nut

I, too, don't absorb nearly anything from audiobooks. I tried Master and the Margarita on audiobook like 4 times before I just got a copy and destroyed the thintg

cda

by Hand Knit
pepole try to absorb too much i think. just listen to it and get what you get from it, like it was music or something, no need to pick on on everything

----------------

beer pal

sure but if its a book i thnk ill actually really like id rather give it more attention. esp since im not much of a re reader so im not likely to read it again

beer pal

holy hell jr by william gaddis is 37 hours long

nut

ya and when I read a lot of times I read sentences a couple times because my brain can’t comprehend well and that’s frustrating when you miss something in audio

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
I have real trouble with auidobooks and podcasts. just in one ear out the other with me.

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!

3D Megadoodoo

I listened to books on cassette when I still had a car. I enjoyed Svejk a lot that way even though I can't stand the actor who read it. I guess I just can't stand his face, which isn't a problem with audio.

The DPRK

whats the skinny on infinite jest? good book? i get the impressions its difficult and pretentious and overly sentimental, which are all things i enjoy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo

The DPRK posted:

whats the skinny on infinite jest? good book? i get the impressions its difficult and pretentious and overly sentimental, which are all things i enjoy

Some lady doesn't want to date men who have read it and she wrote an article about it.

So IDK

E: I probably wasn't going to date her anyway tho.