Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will you vote for in 2020?
This poll is closed.
Biden 425 18.06%
Trump 105 4.46%
whoever the Green Party runs 307 13.05%
GOOGLE RON PAUL 151 6.42%
Bernie Sanders 346 14.70%
Stalin 246 10.45%
Satan 300 12.75%
Nobody 202 8.58%
Jess Scarane 110 4.67%
mystery man Brian Carroll of the American Solidarity Party 61 2.59%
Dick Nixon 100 4.25%
Total: 2089 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

2, 3 and 4 are widely documented as true. 1 is impossible to tell, but would not be any different if it were true.

Sorry, not disagreeing with 3 or 4 but can you post evidence that shows Joe Biden has "advanced dementia"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I don't think the Democrats are deliberately throwing the election. But I do think that they accomplished what they were mainly trying to do during the primaries: defeat the Bernie Sanders left. Whether that happened through chicanery (I'm suspicious) or Bernie losing, the party seems to think that its left flank has been beaten into submission.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

re exit poll discrepancies: exit polls in america correlate very loosely with final results. it's not like the UK exit poll which is basically the final result of the election. so unless there's something i'm unaware of, the discrepancies are just exit polls being lovely predictors of outcome

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I don't think the Democrats are deliberately throwing the election. But I do think that they accomplished what they were mainly trying to do during the primaries: defeat the Bernie Sanders left. Whether that happened through chicanery (I'm suspicious) or Bernie losing, the party seems to think that its left flank has been beaten into submission.

if that's the case, why would biden's campaign get together with bernie's people and create that unity task force and add some progressive positions to biden's platform? if the attitude was "gently caress them, we don't need them," this seems inconsistent with that belief. now, you could argue that it's just a token olive branch and they won't actually implement any of these progressive policies, but that's a different issue. the fact that they're throwing the progressive wing a bone suggests that the attitude is not "eat poo poo and die"

goethe.cx fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 10, 2020

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I'm not the one inventing Tom Clancy-style fanfiction to explain why Bernie Sanders lost the primaries.

How can you be this dismissive after the 2016 DNC server hacks and the media narrative that was manufactured around Bernie Sanders in 2020? Chris Matthews was crying because he thought he was going to be taken into Central Park and shot!

Almost like you are arguing in bad faith.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Why does this thread seem to be nothing more then justification that no nothing matters and everyone should just vote trump to produce a true revolution? You guys sound more and more like his base everyday and not actual people that want to fix the problem, instead want someone to fix it for you.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Bernie Sanders was a fool.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Why does this thread seem to be nothing more then justification that no nothing matters and everyone should just vote trump to produce a true revolution? You guys sound more and more like his base everyday and not actual people that want to fix the problem, instead want someone to fix it for you.

We are discussing events related to the 2020 General Election and why it might be impacted by past recent events. No one said anything about not voting.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Please quote the posters saying to vote Trump.

Edit: why are the posts from Biden defenders always disingenuous strawmen that ignore the massive flaws with your racist, conservative, warmongering candidate? Vote Howie.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

UCS Hellmaker posted:

You're projecting.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Why does this thread seem to be nothing more then justification that no nothing matters and everyone should just vote trump to produce a true revolution?

<citation needed>

rko
Jul 12, 2017
This is why I unironically think nothing matters at this point. Fritz is an almost impossibly perfect example of the know-nothingism that has captured the majority of the American public. Our aristocracy is all but farting the stench of its corruption directly in their faces, and they can’t get enough of it. That’s the winds of democracy, sending our country to new heights!

Now you have poo poo like Jill Biden pretending to mail a letter to promote the post office, or Joe Biden getting a sick own in on a reporter as he bikes by (so vital! so healthy!), or this endless and absurd veepstakes. And none of it matters, none of it is seen as a sign of rot by those completely captured by the myth of some utopian bipartisanship, which is oh-so reasonable in comparison to what the wacky left wants. And how dare they threaten the status quo! Aren’t they satisfied by the BLM slogans we’re painting outside Trump Tower?

I don’t see a reason why anything any of us says is going to get through to these people when billions of dollars are spent filling their eyeballs with propaganda. Turns out the age of monsters is going to last our whole lives. So it goes.

e:

UCS Hellmaker posted:

I’m pretty sure this is just how liberals hear everything that comes out of our mouths. We’re the lazy children waiting to go on the dole. And they think they’re the grown ups who are fixing the problems despite us.

I bet it’s a comforting worldview. I bet it’s like a warm blanket. All of that practicality and responsibility feels good. Lord knows I used to wrap myself up in it real tight. And I don’t see much hope of unwinding that garbage before all this comes tumbling down in chaos that few of us have had to live through before.

rko fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 10, 2020

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

goethe.cx posted:

re exit poll discrepancies: exit polls in america correlate very loosely with final results. it's not like the UK exit poll which is basically the final result of the election. so unless there's something i'm unaware of, the discrepancies are just exit polls being lovely predictors of outcome

The only exit polls I mentioned had to do with opinion on the candidates.

Although it bears mentioning that exit polls in Bolivia were more reliable predictors of outcome than exit polls during the Democratic primaries.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

rko posted:

This is why I unironically think nothing matters at this point. Fritz is an almost impossibly perfect example of the know-nothingism that has captured the majority of the American public. Our aristocracy is all but farting the stench of its corruption directly in their faces, and they can’t get enough of it. That’s the winds of democracy, sending our country to new heights!

Now you have poo poo like Jill Biden pretending to mail a letter to promote the post office, or Joe Biden getting a sick own in on a reporter as he bikes by (so vital! so healthy!), or this endless and absurd veepstakes. And none of it matters, none of it is seen as a sign of rot by those completely captured by the myth of some utopian bipartisanship, which is oh-so reasonable in comparison to what the wacky left wants. And how dare they threaten the status quo! Aren’t they satisfied by the BLM slogans we’re painting outside Trump Tower?

I don’t see a reason why anything any of us says is going to get through to these people when billions of dollars are spent filling their eyeballs with propaganda. Turns out the age of monsters is going to last our whole lives. So it goes.

You forgot the part where you give me a copy of your badly-Xeroxed newsletter.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

rko posted:

Most of us are normal people who just don't want to live under Trump anymore and are willing take our chances under Biden seeing as how that is our only other option. You get two. Joe Biden or Donald Trump. There is no third.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Dem corruption affects too many non-chuds and doesn't gently caress over the chuds enough, we must learn to adjust this in the new century.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Most of us are normal people who just don't want to live under Trump anymore and are willing take our chances under Biden seeing as how that is our only other option. You get two. Joe Biden or Donald Trump. There is no third.

Howie Hawkins.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

gas

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

UCS Hellmaker posted:

You guys sound more and more ... [like someone who] want someone to fix it for you.

We sound like people who want to elect someone who will help fix our problems?

mask off

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I know this is going to hurt your brain to contemplate, but Joe Biden wasn't even in my top 5 for candidate choices during the primaries.

You think that this makes you special and different?

No-one who is currently fighting the brave fight against the evil scourge of leftists who don't like Biden's policies, past, and/or outlook enough to vote for him secret Trump supporters has ever claimed that they supported him in the primaries. He was never anyone's first choice, he never has been, and he never will be. Not one of you will actually stand by him because you know that, even without all of the obvious electoral fuckery, even without the history, even without the allegations, just as a candidate, he's total crap, a proof that given a sure win the Democrats will push the party as hard as possible to the right.

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

So because the Iowa Democratic Party made mistakes

How many primaries get to "make mistakes" that change the outcome of the primary before you declare the election illegitimate? I'd like a number, because obviously it's over one.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

We're talking about the literal process of electing someone to fix it for us here, please try to keep up and stop pretending everyone who dislikes Biden is secretly in the Trump tank.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Solaris 2.0 posted:

:hf:

Progressivism is on the rise in the US, and I am cautiously optimistic that if we elect Biden with a (D) Senate + House and: pass HR 1, make DC a state, and have control of the redistricting process in swing & purple states in the 2021 we can set the scene for a surge of progressive victories throughout the decade of the 2020s as the Boomers cede generational control of the levers of power to Millenials.

There's a lot of reason to have hope and to feel energized for the fights ahead. I refuse to allow my disappointment in Bernie losing the Presidential Primary to turn into caustic nihilism.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Vote Green, to send a message to the Democrats that the Left can no longer be ignored and/or maybe build a viable third party 2024 run.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

So you're okay with all the horrible poo poo Trump does that is just a continuation of what Obama started, you just want to go back to pretending it's not happening.

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I'm not the one inventing Tom Clancy-style fanfiction to explain why Bernie Sanders lost the primaries.

Please explain to me how the long list of facts that happened live are fanfiction.

Oh wait you can't because you're literally denying reality to try and live in a world where the Democratic did not just tell you to eat poo poo and die. Or maybe you're jsut a rich rear end in a top hat who likes the way things worked out. Either way you're clearly a bad faith actor.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

rko posted:

We talked about this last week I think... perhaps the issue is that the American Left (which includes me) wants progress to happen very quickly, whereas America is more like an ocean-liner and it changes direction very slowly.

Change is absolutely possible, and has been happening all around us. We have so many examples of up-and-coming candidates defeating powerful incumbents backed by moneyed interests, both in local elections and national elections. But it will take a while for such newcomers to gain prominence inside the party.

I'm sad that Bernie lost (again) but I'm not going to let that disenfranchise me. The type of change we want requires a marathon, one that will take place over a matter of not years, but decades.

Gotta stay positive.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Somfin posted:

You think that this makes you special and different?

No-one who is currently fighting the brave fight against the evil scourge of leftists who don't like Biden's policies, past, and/or outlook enough to vote for him secret Trump supporters has ever claimed that they supported him in the primaries. He was never anyone's first choice, he never has been, and he never will be. Not one of you will actually stand by him because you know that, even without all of the obvious electoral fuckery, even without the history, even without the allegations, just as a candidate, he's total crap, a proof that given a sure win the Democrats will push the party as hard as possible to the right.

I don't understand what you're doing here. Are you claiming that I'm lying?

MonsieurChoc posted:

Please explain to me how the long list of facts that happened live are fanfiction.

Oh wait you can't because you're literally denying reality to try and live in a world where the Democratic did not just tell you to eat poo poo and die. Or maybe you're jsut a rich rear end in a top hat who likes the way things worked out. Either way you're clearly a bad faith actor.

You 1) made the claims, 2) refused to back them up with a single shred of evidence, and now 3) are calling me a mindless sheep because I'm not just taking your word for it.

And don't say "Google is your friend". You made the claims. It's on YOU to back them up. That's how arguing works.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Look, there are very intelligent statisticians who assure us that for every 1 person who votes third party because of an insufficiently different-from-republican policy position, there is >1 person who switches from republican to democrat, and that through this maxim exists the surest path to electoral victory.

Why are you getting mad at the thermometer for telling you it's warm out? You should be delighted to see so many people energized to vote third party.

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 10, 2020

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos

Solaris 2.0 posted:

You are voting for a rapist who openly declares that nothing will fundamentally change if he is elected. You're taking your chances on a candidate who doesn't care if you live or die.

If you actually gave a poo poo about the future you'd vote for a candidate that doesn't openly display disdain for your very existence, but it really just seems like you want a president who doesn't say stupid things on twitter.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

How are u posted:

:hf:

Progressivism is on the rise in the US, and I am cautiously optimistic that if we elect Biden with a (D) Senate + House and: pass HR 1, make DC a state, and have control of the redistricting process in swing & purple states in the 2021 we can set the scene for a surge of progressive victories throughout the decade of the 2020s as the Boomers cede generational control of the levers of power to Millenials.

There's a lot of reason to have hope and to feel energized for the fights ahead. I refuse to allow my disappointment in Bernie losing the Presidential Primary to turn into caustic nihilism.

By cede do you mean kick and scream and fight for every scrap of influence they can hang on to? Because I'm not seeing a whole lot of willing hand-offs of political power. When they do seem willing to hand over authority to Millennials it's to people like Buttigieg, who is basically a Boomer in a Millennial suit, and even then the Gen X politicians are seething with rage at the prospect of him jumping the line (you could practically feel the rage pouring off Klob when she addressed Pete in the debates).

Edit: Boomers are going to live for a few more decades, at least, and a lot of the oldest politicians are actually Silents and the Boomers are waiting for them to finally give up the ghost. The Boomers are actually just recently coming into their full political strength and lol if you think they'll cede anything until they're six feet under.

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 10, 2020

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

You 1) made the claims, 2) refused to back them up with a single shred of evidence, and now 3) are calling me a mindless sheep because I'm not just taking your word for it.

And don't say "Google is your friend". You made the claims. It's on YOU to back them up. That's how arguing works.

I listed a whole bunch of things that happened live on loving tv and were in the news for weeks. If you fell into a coma during the primary you should probably tell us this instead of claiming merely summarizing what actually happened is somehow fanfiction.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

enraged_camel posted:

We talked about this last week I think... perhaps the issue is that the American Left (which includes me) wants progress to happen very quickly, whereas America is more like an ocean-liner and it changes direction very slowly.

Change is absolutely possible, and has been happening all around us. We have so many examples of up-and-coming candidates defeating powerful incumbents backed by moneyed interests, both in local elections and national elections. But it will take a while for such newcomers to gain prominence inside the party.

I'm sad that Bernie lost (again) but I'm not going to let that disenfranchise me. The type of change we want requires a marathon, one that will take place over a matter of not years, but decades.

Gotta stay positive.

I feel ya but Global warming needs that progress to happen quick for it either stop or deal with the punches with minimal shitnesss and make a better polace post shitstorm.

I only feel hopeful for the latter.
One also has to take into account the kind of optimist that thinks a third party run can work in 2024. Viewing intraparty drama pessimistically does not mean you feel nihilistic about your chances.

rko
Jul 12, 2017

enraged_camel posted:

To torture this metaphor, the Democrats and Republicans are twin anchors we’re dragging along the bottom of the sea, and American politics is arguing about which one we want to pull up. And we’re going to just keep having that pointless argument until we’re pulled under the lukewarm seas. In the meantime, hundreds of thousands of people will die as we tug fruitlessly at one rope or the other.

Joe Biden is not going to change any directions. It’s full steam ahead, e_c. But my doomposting makes me as disgusted as all of you so I’ll shut up.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

You are voting for a rapist who openly declares that nothing will fundamentally change if he is elected. You're taking your chances on a candidate who doesn't care if you live or die.

If you actually gave a poo poo about the future you'd vote for a candidate that doesn't openly display disdain for your very existence, but it really just seems like you want a president who doesn't say stupid things on twitter.

Do the polls about people supporting bernie's policy mean nothing now? Or do they still show people have other reasons to vote for the wrong person?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Guy, the claims I made were out in the open for everyone to see. Are you doubting the media narrative that was created? Or the DNC saying that the party decides? Or Obama using his weight to influence moves by other candidates? Because the best argument someone was able to muster in response to Obama using his weight to influence other candidates was that Pete would've endorsed Biden anyway. That isn't really the point. It is a bad look that potentially affects enthusiasm from circles you NEED in the general.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
If you actively gave a poo poo about your future you'd vote for the canidates in the GE that won't proceed to cause war with Iran or have his son in law run the country and destroy a testing plan because it would benefit blue states.

Be an activist in primaries and push your canidate, be someone that runs and wins yourself and push your ideals. Vote in the party elections, take control from within.

Don't sit on an internet forum and scream into a void because MY PERFECT CHOICE OF A CANIDATE LOST BECAUSE THE OLDS VOTED I MUST IGNORE EVERYTHING NOW because this is exactly what this thread is. You push aside other opinions to justify your apathy and resentment. And you ignore anyone or attack them that tries to poke holes in your theory that Bernie could have won if only that dastardly Biden hadn't had the black vote. And many of the words spoken in here on the black vote are incredibly racist.

But yes go ahead and call everyone an alt right or a rape supporter because we have the capacity to look at the long term and not the short term must happen now that you keep screaming. Bernie would not be at the level in polls Biden is. Bernie would not be potentially looking at a Dem senate. Biden is not the best canidate, but he is the canidate we have that will most likely beat trump. And that is important.

Oh and keep screaming rapist because it's a broken record at this point with no substance. Hell there isn't any new info on that as is since June.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Wicked Them Beats posted:

By cede do you mean kick and scream and fight for every scrap of influence they can hang on to?

Yes. They're only going to let go because they die. But by the end of this decade we (Millenials + Zoomers) will outnumber them overwhelmingly.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
also, again, in that ocean liner metaphor there's actually a smaller ship theoretically connected to the main ship that can actually turn and spin just fine as much as it wants, but to get on it you have to have millions of dollars and also probably get rides on the lolita express, but they shout from the smaller good ship 'HEY YOU CAN'T TURN YOUR SHIP THAT FAST' at us and we just go 'yea alright sounds legit, they're on the good boat they clearly know what they're doing after all'.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos

Rockit posted:

Do the polls about people supporting bernie's policy mean nothing now? Or do they still show people have other reasons to vote for the wrong person?

I don't get what you're talking about, how do polls showing people support Bernie's policies apply to a candidate who doesn't support any of Bernie's policies? Nobody on this board is stupid enough to believe that Biden has any interest in instituting a single policy coming from Bernie Sanders or anyone else, they set the debt ceiling for 2021 for a reason.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

UCS Hellmaker posted:

If you actively gave a poo poo about your future you'd vote for the canidates in the GE that won't proceed to cause war with Iran or have his son in law run the country and destroy a testing plan because it would benefit blue states.

Be an activist in primaries and push your canidate, be someone that runs and wins yourself and push your ideals. Vote in the party elections, take control from within.

Don't sit on an internet forum and scream into a void because MY PERFECT CHOICE OF A CANIDATE LOST BECAUSE THE OLDS VOTED I MUST IGNORE EVERYTHING NOW because this is exactly what this thread is. You push aside other opinions to justify your apathy and resentment. And you ignore anyone or attack them that tries to poke holes in your theory that Bernie could have won if only that dastardly Biden hadn't had the black vote. And many of the words spoken in here on the black vote are incredibly racist.

But yes go ahead and call everyone an alt right or a rape supporter because we have the capacity to look at the long term and not the short term must happen now that you keep screaming. Bernie would not be at the level in polls Biden is. Bernie would not be potentially looking at a Dem senate. Biden is not the best canidate, but he is the canidate we have that will most likely beat trump. And that is important.

Oh and keep screaming rapist because it's a broken record at this point with no substance. Hell there isn't any new info on that as is since June.

It's not about apathy and resentment, dumbass, it's about how the Democratic establishment sent a clear message that they would rather die than fix the mess we're in.

YoU,re right about being an activist though: vote Green.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

UCS Hellmaker posted:

truly pathetic post, I don't know what's worse, the sad desperate clinging to idpol 'uh black people voted for biden ergo you're a racist if you call him a piece of poo poo' poo poo or the hilarious reveal that you think your guy being a rapist doesn't actually matter because ugh that's so BORING to talk about guys

also I'm not apathetic, I'm extremely invested in supporting the green party, mainly thanks to the democrats nominating a violent racist rapist, so thanks!

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

UCS Hellmaker posted:

What makes you think Trump is eager for a war with Iran when he backed off a war with Iran when he had the chance? More importantly, what makes you think Biden won't start a war with Venezuela? Or support violent regime change? Look at who his likely VP is and then look at who his rumored secretary of state is: Susan Rice and Samantha Powell, respectively.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

UCS Hellmaker posted:

If this is the case then wouldn't the best activism to have as a voter be to vocally pretend like you aren't going to vote for biden so as to help pull him to the left then vote for him anyway? Why aren't you doing that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos

UCS Hellmaker posted:

If you actively gave a poo poo about your future you'd vote for the canidates in the GE that won't proceed to cause war with Iran

Wait wait wait is this a joke post? You know that trump avoided a war with Iran that no democrat would ever have avoided, right? You seriously believe that Biden doesn't want to nuke Iran if he could get away with it? That's outright delusional.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Jesus loving christ, this is disgusting.