Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/romanpalace/status/1292127782772920320

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sprotto
Jul 16, 2017

I’ve been to Fishbourne. It would’ve been really interesting even without the mosaics, but the mosaics are absolutely gorgeous and very well preserved. Staff are super friendly too and were happy to give me a backstage look at their warehouses and restoration areas. 100% worth the visit and helped redefine my view of Roman Britain.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Schadenboner posted:

Doesn't Socrates spend a long-rear end time bitching about the evils of the written word?

Kids these days with their drat "writing" and "reading." It'll rot their brains, I tell you! Nobody bothers *remembering* things any more.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Is anyone here proficient in augury? The last couple of days I've seen:

A hawk trying to kill a magpie on the ground

A raven flying overhead, then a second raven following a short while after

Please also give me your address and let me know how many sesterces I owe you.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Grevling posted:

My prediction is, poo poo's gonna be hosed up

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Grevling posted:

Weal.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I saw a crow chase off a bald eagle that had just made off with a squirrel...

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

what would the romans have made of this incident?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Rebellion is imminent, you have earned the God's disfavor, but they can be appeased with cold, hard, cash. I'll take it to them you can trust me I look at dead birds for a living.

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

Does anyone have any chickens we can ask they're the best for fortune telling.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Firstscion posted:

They all got thrown in the water.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Firstscion posted:

fish are better

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

If the chickens will not nugget then perhaps the fish will fillet?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I want you all to shed a single tear for the teenage Teriyaki Hairpiece who, equipped only with the primitive internet of 2002 and the books of his local library, tried to figure out if there was a connection between the Ancient Roman "caupona" and the surname of Alphonse Capone.

In 2020 you can find out in about 15 seconds that there is definitely not.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Grevling posted:

Did the hawk succeed?

Towards which cardinal direction did the ravens fly?

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Weka posted:

Did the hawk succeed?

B) I guess the ravens were flying north

A) the hawk was killing the magpie in the middle of the road and I had to pass it, which spooked the hawk and let the magpie escape. So it failed because of me. Is that... inauspicious? :ohdear:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

God the internet in 2004 was so much better that this poo poo pile.

Have you tried to load a mobile web page without adblock lately?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Arglebargle III posted:

God the internet in 2004 was so much better that this poo poo pile.

Have you tried to load a mobile web page without adblock lately?

Advice to self-harm prohibited in *checks note* ancient history thread!

Wait, poo poo...

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Weka posted:

Wrong bird :dadjoke:

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

The last four eggs I've cracked open have each had two yolks. I feel like this is one of those "seems good but is actually bad" kind of omens. Which god have I caught the ire of?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Communist Walrus posted:

The last four eggs I've cracked open have each had two yolks. I feel like this is one of those "seems good but is actually bad" kind of omens. Which god have I caught the ire of?

I dunno, but Baba Yaga's hut was heading your way and looking pissed.

:ohdear:

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Communist Walrus posted:

have you recently examined an old monkey's paw while idly wishing to get twice as much out of life?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Communist Walrus posted:

You're gonna spend 8 years as quaestor.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I don't like eggs anymore.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Communist Walrus posted:

You will wear the purple.

For a day and a night.

ColonelDimak
May 1, 2007

Guardian of the Salsa
Not sure if this is the right thread, but does anyone do or know a good service for English to Latin translation?

I've been asked to make a logo/motto for an operations support team and want to use the phrase "There is always more, and it is always worse" but in Latin around the logo.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Not me, sorry.

E. Nesbit
Mar 18, 2009

Eat two dicks and call me in the morning.

ColonelDimak posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread, but does anyone do or know a good service for English to Latin translation?

I've been asked to make a logo/motto for an operations support team and want to use the phrase "There is always more, and it is always worse" but in Latin around the logo.

Est semper magis, quod peius est semper

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I started reading the letters of Pliny the younger, and just wanted to post a warm recommendation to others like me who are interested in history but rarely go beyond BBC docs and Wikipedia. He comes across as a real Italian gentleman, and makes the era come to life much more than anything else I've read. This nice Kindle edition is $7.

– "The Letters of the Younger Pliny (Classics)" by Pliny the Younger, Betty Radice.

https://a.co/9gis7KJ

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Grevling posted:

B) I guess the ravens were flying north

A) the hawk was killing the magpie in the middle of the road and I had to pass it, which spooked the hawk and let the magpie escape. So it failed because of me. Is that... inauspicious? :ohdear:

The knowledge you need lies below.
You will free the thief from the bonds of war.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

If you go to war, you will destroy a great empire!

(plot twist, I meant your empire)

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

E. Nesbit posted:

Est semper magis, quod peius est semper

"Semper magis, peius semper" would work.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
I recently subbed to a youtube channel called Fall of Civilizations. It doesn't seem to be that old, maybe a year and not too many subscribers but it has very interesting documentaries on it. I've only listened to two of them in the background while I was doing some work, but it was pretty interesting.

Yesterday I watched this one: 7. The Songhai Empire - Africa's Age of Gold and thought it was pretty drat interesting.

Anyways though some of you guys might enjoy this channel and the more professional of you guys might be able to say whether these documentaries are actually good or not.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Zopotantor posted:

"Semper magis, peius semper" would work.

Sounds better to me. Wouldn't it be 'magis semper est' normally for example? And I'm not seeing quod as a good equivalent of 'and' here.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

The suggestions seem grammatically correct to me, but maybe too literal. My suggestion would be either semper plura, semper mala, i.e. "always more things, always bad things" or semper plura, semper peiora, "always more things, always worse things".

Weka posted:

The knowledge you need lies below.
You will free the thief from the bonds of war.

Thank you O Oracle, I will renumerate your services in drachmata or sesterces as per your preference.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
does anyone here have any knowledge of what bronze age boats/sailing was like? Any well-preserved wrecks, or scattered evidence of how navies worked before triremes?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

does anyone here have any knowledge of what bronze age boats/sailing was like? Any well-preserved wrecks, or scattered evidence of how navies worked before triremes?

The best preserved wreck was this whopper from two years ago: https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/oct/23/oldest-intact-shipwreck-thought-to-be-ancient-greek-discovered-at-bottom-of-black-sea

But it's a trading vessel, not a military one which I guess you want to know about. But that Black Sea find didn't disagree with historical sources, so you can count it as a small piece of evidence that historical sources can be trusted in their descriptions on military ships.

I also gather you meant Mediterranean cultures, but even if this boat was found in Denmark and is iron age, it is at least military not a trireme and in tune with historical sources (looks like bronze age rock carvings): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hjortspring_boat Amazing, but probably not what you wanted. :)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

All I know is that they mostly sailed along the coast and no one deliberately sailed out to open high seas until the iron age.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ola posted:

But it's a trading vessel, not a military one which I guess you want to know about.

I'm actually interested about any bronze age boat knowledge you have, thanks for the links!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The context is just sort of a vague idea that many things were invented much later that I was originally aware of--things like how the saddle was a surprisingly late development. That train of thought led me to wonder if there's any core concepts of how boats work that were still relatively new in the classical era, which is the earliest period I know anything about