Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

a dog with hosed up genetic issues is just a dog that needs even more love than normal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Reclines Obesily posted:

that potato salad picture is loving disgusting

https://twitter.com/PatStaresAt/status/1292270456406515712

friends dog had some puppies

Yeah, that's whatever (friend should've spayed his dog but that's not on them), might as well give the puppy a nice home.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Yardbomb posted:

I really agree with the "Please for the love of god stop purposefully 'breeding' dogs whose skulls and hips and spines are so thoroughly destroyed and warped at this point" thing, but like Zangief doesn't even look like he's got any of that or at least not in any bad sense, like say the poor pugs who no matter how sweet they are, pretty much come guaranteed wrecked on the inside by this point, as well as the other thought of "He already exists and seems like a happy living creature, if he's not in some state of suffering or terrible impairment, then gently caress off" though.

Zangief is an English Bulldog, which (if they're bred to adhere to the breed standard) can't functionally reproduce. Like, the only way to breed ones that fit the standard is through artificial insemination and cesarean sections because there's no way to produce puppies through their narrow hip structure otherwise without a very serious risk of birthing complications. They tend to be like, several thousand dollars to cover the medical costs in all that, so no idea if Pat & Paige would spend that much on a puppy. If they went through a random backyard breeder who doesn't work to fit the standard and can somehow have natural births, alright I guess? It's still not a great solution but there's not really a completely "pure ethical way" to get an English Bulldog aside from a rescue. I'm not going to drag them for that though, since it's the kind of niche dog issue I don't expect a lot of people to know or care about.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 10, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nuns with Guns posted:

Zangief is an English Bulldog, which (if they're bred to adhere to the breed standard) can't functionally reproduce. Like, the only way to breed ones that fit the standard is through artificial insemination and cesarean sections because there's no way to produce puppies through their narrow hip structure otherwise without a very serious risk of birthing complications. They tend to be like, several thousand dollars to cover the medical costs in all that, so no idea if Pat & Paige would spend that much on a puppy. If they went through a random backyard breeder who doesn't work to fit the standard and can somehow have natural births, alright I guess? It's still not a great solution but there's not really a completely "pure ethical way" to get an English Bulldog aside from a rescue. I'm not going to drag them for that though, since it's the kind of niche dog issue I don't expect a lot of people to know or care about.

I think also it's recommended you only breed a female English bulldog once, which also shoots the cost up. I'd love to have one since every one I've met are delightful and if I got to adopt one from a shelter or whatever, great, but I couldn't ever buy a puppy. That said I am able to not throw things at people in the street when I see them walking one.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

scary ghost dog posted:

a dog with hosed up genetic issues is just a dog that needs even more love than normal

seriously this is the actual reality. Be mad at breeders, bad breeders suck rear end and yes if you go to a puppy mill you're supporting a bad system (not saying they did, just as a thing in general), but none of that changes that even if 'the worst' is true then there's still a dog who maybe has some hosed up problems who needs a loving home, so either we're going full on crazy 'throw them off a bridge for the good of the breed' or people can just stop trying to internet detective a pretty believable story of 'a friend's dog had puppies and we wanted a puppy, the end'.

Like, what's those people's ideal end scenario? Some dramatic confession and then...them just going back to taking care of a dog?

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.
All you have to do is imagine that the worst scenario could be true, then remind everyone of your moral superiority by stating that you absolutely do not stand for it. If you dont, its endorsement. Its the cycle of discussion on the internet.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I think, personally, it's wrong and hosed up that Paige shot someone in the street to steal that puppy

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

sexpig by night posted:

seriously this is the actual reality. Be mad at breeders, bad breeders suck rear end and yes if you go to a puppy mill you're supporting a bad system (not saying they did, just as a thing in general), but none of that changes that even if 'the worst' is true then there's still a dog who maybe has some hosed up problems who needs a loving home, so either we're going full on crazy 'throw them off a bridge for the good of the breed' or people can just stop trying to internet detective a pretty believable story of 'a friend's dog had puppies and we wanted a puppy, the end'.

Like, what's those people's ideal end scenario? Some dramatic confession and then...them just going back to taking care of a dog?

I don't know how Pat or Paige got the dog, and I don't know what pitch of foaming crazy people are at over it or care to find out but pet drama is always bad so I expect it's ugly.

Like, on a broader level the most reasonable stance would be to not engage with the system at all or push for revisions of breeding practices away from frankly dangerous standards that prioritizes extreme body shapes over health or the ability to function. It's not that far removed from debates you see about whether or not it's ethical to engage with Harry Potter/Dungeons and Dragons/Walmart/whatever Twitter is mad about this hour, if it perpetuates and empowers harmful practices, even if the harm's already done albeit in a different way and with "victims" who aren't intellectually cognizant enough to do anything besides ask for tummy rubs and look adorable.

Anyway, thank you for reading this high intensity discussion in the Dog Breeding Thread on SA.

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I think Pat and Paige likely just adopted a (living, breathing, feeling) cute puppy they liked and did not consider the evils of generations of dog breeding. it was likely irrelevant to them because a cute living creature that wants love and a home was happy to join their family.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

ButterSkeleton posted:

I think Pat and Paige likely just adopted a (living, breathing, feeling) cute puppy they liked and did not consider the evils of generations of dog breeding.

Yes, you got my point, good job.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

sexpig by night posted:

I think, personally, it's wrong and hosed up that Paige shot someone in the street to steal that puppy

Paige shoots people now? I thought she only punched preggo's

Froggycleric
May 11, 2013

Don't sully his love with imagined reasons.
People are willing to change for love

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
It's Paige, the woman that ate a mold salad, and Pat Boivin, the man that...is Pat Boivin. I feel safe in saying "we didn't consider all of the ramifications of getting a specific dog breed" is the answer to most questions knowing they didn't buy it or whatever.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Dog Discourse is the dumbest bullshit to haunt any of the former SBF in a while.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Ultimately, I hope Paige can fulfill her dream of making Zangief a great therapy dog to visit children in hospitals with. :unsmith:

doos
Jan 1, 2015

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Paige shoots people now? I thought she only punched preggo's

I feel that SRKs are more than mere punches, and I would hope you would respect them as such.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

doos posted:

I feel that SRKs are more than mere punches, and I would hope you would respect them as such.

She calls them anti-heirs

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Dias posted:

:eyepop:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dias posted:

lmao

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Dias posted:

She would have fuuuuun with Crusader Kings 2

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Dias posted:

:golfclap:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Dias posted:

This can't be quoted enough.

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

It is insanely problematic that paige gave birth to an english bulldog.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

miniscule12 posted:

It is insanely problematic that paige gave birth to an english bulldog.

While holding a shotgun at somebody!

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

Here's my seven paragraph long post about the thing Paige did is bad, actually, while Paige buys the beef flavored dog treats because its what the pupper likes

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
She bought him raw goat milk to moisten his kibble and improve his intestinal health, please get your facts straight

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

This bullshit dogchat is why cats are superior pets. No cat breed I can think of is a physical abomination.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Grouchio posted:

This bullshit dogchat is why cats are superior pets. No cat breed I can think of is a physical abomination.

https://www.petmd.com/cat/general-h...0some%20reason.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Cats very much have their own spread of breeds wracked with health problems thanks to idiots.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Well poo poo.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Lol, this dude hasn't heard of Tacgnol

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yardbomb posted:

Cats very much have their own spread of breeds wracked with health problems thanks to idiots.

Yeah, I'd definitely heard this sort of thing. There's definitely some specialty breeds and some popularity breeds.

I think it just doesn't come up as much since people are usually just happy with -a cat.-

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Grouchio posted:

just because you're dumb and ignorant doesn't mean they don't exist

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

RareAcumen posted:

Lol, this dude hasn't heard of Tacgnol
Is Tacgnol a cat, or a cryptid?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, I'd definitely heard this sort of thing. There's definitely some specialty breeds and some popularity breeds.

I think it just doesn't come up as much since people are usually just happy with -a cat.-

I think it partially stems from people tend to be more into specific dog breeds than cat breeds. There are a lot of cat breeds out there who are brachycephalic, which means they get the same breathing problems as bulldogs and pugs. Persians get hit especially hard sometimes.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Yeah hosed up specific dog breeds are way more common, in part cause quite a few of them are former working breeds that got hosed up to varying degrees, like pugs are one thing but even like golden retreivers have significant issues from dog breeding.

Whereas most domestic cats are just random moggies, the local landrace, or a working breed which hasn't been hosed up yet. Persians and ragdolls are definitely things though. And the less said about munchkins the better.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

A Sometimes Food posted:

Whereas most domestic cats are just random moggies, the local landrace, or a working breed which hasn't been hosed up yet. Persians and ragdolls are definitely things though. And the less said about munchkins the better.

Are those the cats with super short legs like a Basset hound, except a Basset hound is supposed to have really short legs?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Are those the cats with super short legs like a Basset hound, except a Basset hound is supposed to have really short legs?

Yes. :smith:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i had a purebred standard poodle that i adopted after she was abandoned by the rear end in a top hat that bought her from a puppy farm because she had myriad issues with her stomach and liver. i had to grind up her food and treat it with enzymes because she couldnt digest anything. she only lived for about six years but i made sure she was as happy as she could be. ultimately im glad she was born because we both made each other very happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Woolie and V have started Halo Reach since ODST isn't out on MCC PC yet

https://twitch.tv/woolieversus