Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
12 inch heavy flamers, swapped the power fist and chainfist damage.

also a typo where you add 4 to an enemy's armor save.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Terminators were already looking pretty good for 9th too because they were almost completely untouched by the points changes, meaning that in practice they got a 15-20% discount, making them extremely interesting. If blightlords get this they'll be out of this world good, if they don't; loving lol. I hope this means that all the 'similar role' but non-troop infantry get +1 wound too. Like, aggressors, centurions, inceptors. Most of those went up in points, some very substantially.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
On the plus side, if these changes are coming out with the new datasheets being bundled with the new instructions, and those are getting leaked via distro channel photos because everything is being repackaged to conform to the new branding and to ensure nothing available in stores has a datasheet for the wrong edition in its assembly instructions, this might mean we won't need to wait for new codexes to see new stats for stuff like chaos termies.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
lol these aren't "leaks" from distro channels, I can go buy a box of repackaged Wraiths from my FLGS right now (and was thinking hard about it on Saturday).

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Terminators were already looking pretty good for 9th too because they were almost completely untouched by the points changes, meaning that in practice they got a 15-20% discount, making them extremely interesting. If blightlords get this they'll be out of this world good, if they don't; loving lol. I hope this means that all the 'similar role' but non-troop infantry get +1 wound too. Like, aggressors, centurions, inceptors. Most of those went up in points, some very substantially.

Gravis armor already had three wounds. And also didn’t go up in price much. Really makes custodes look bad.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I just bought a pot of Liberator Gold from my flgs, they opened it up and dropped a ball bearing in it. What?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Clawtopsy posted:

I just bought a pot of Liberator Gold from my flgs, they opened it up and dropped a ball bearing in it. What?
they did you a solid, it will agitate the paint when you shake it

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Clawtopsy posted:

Yeah this is cool and good, as long as it's not a bearing that can rust. I bought like a 1000 pack of bearings from Amazon a while ago and add them to everything now.

They're especially awesome for Contrast paints which normally you have to shake forever

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Maneck posted:

Shame it's just a typo. Transfers are getting scarce for some marine subfactions. When 8th launched, GW had transfers included in the specialized boxes (i.e. Dark Angels Intercessors) rather than in the upgrade kits. Then they stopped selling the specialized boxes. Newer marine factions get the transfers in their upgrade kits, but GW didn't repackage the old ones to include transfers.

Especially considering that the majority of the sheets that FW had are out of production.

I'm no logistical expert, but specific transfer sheets seem like the perfect opportunity for print on demand.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Yeah this is cool and good, as long as it's not a bearing that can rust. I bought like a 1000 pack of bearings from Amazon a while ago and add them to everything now.

They're especially awesome for Contrast paints which normally you have to shake forever

I have a whole bunch of them so I just went ahead and dropped one in all of my paints beyond just contrasts due to this. :v:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Print on Demand transfer sheets is something I've been making GBS threads on GW for not having for years. Have one guy to do the printing once a month. The overheads would be relatively tiny compared to the profit.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Stephenls posted:

Leaked photo of the new terminator datasheet for the repackage of the existing kit to give them 9e rules.

3 wounds.

The Deathwing rises again :unsmigghh:

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
The transfer sheets that GW releases (at least in my experience) are better than anything you can get POD. Each decal is separate with a tight register as opposed to having to individually cut around each transfer like you do on printed decals. The decals are also a lot thinner than the POD ones so they're easier to fit around model details.

Just like injection molded plastic, once you cover the setup decal sheets cost pennies to produce, also they don't take up much space and last pretty much forever. So what GW should do is just design a ton of decal sheets for every faction, subfaction and popular chapter/warband have them printed by a vendor and keep them on hand. The markup is so huge that they wouldn't need to sell many to cover the setup costs.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Is there any way to take a full super heavy detachment in AM without getting dinged 6 freaking cp? It's bumming me out :(

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

In addition to that, most of the decals contain propriety symbols and logos that most other companies are hesitant to risk.

Outside a handful of companies (doing oddball chapters) your only go-to place for 40k decals is GW.

It's frankly weird that they haven't started selling them.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Could somebody please explain to me why The Horus Heresy is 50. loving. Books?

I know W40K mostly from the video games and listening to lore dumps while I paint minis (and I painted enough 40K minis to play some very small scale battles), but I'm intrigued why there are so many books for that time period. I thought there would be 3 or 5, explaining how some of the Primarch betrayed the Emperor but clearly there's more to this?

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
It's possible to print your own decals, though anything white is a bit awkward as most printers cannot print white so you need to use white decal paper and cut an outline.

There's high res scans of OOP decal sheets floating around the internet, I can't feel too guilty using them if GW/FW won't even make them available to purchase.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Furism posted:

I know W40K mostly from the video games and listening to lore dumps while I paint minis (and I painted enough 40K minis to play some very small scale battles), but I'm intrigued why there are so many books for that time period. I thought there would be 3 or 5, explaining how some of the Primarch betrayed the Emperor but clearly there's more to this?

Black Library seeing a cash cow in the making and wanting to exploit to the fullest. :v:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Furism posted:

I mean if you think about it there are, what 20 original primarchs, 2 are vanished for whatever reason, that leaves 18. If every primarch had 3 books each, that would be 54 books.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Furism posted:

Allegedly, the original plan for the Horus Heresy was seven books. I cannot source this claim, it's just something I remember hearing once.

They kept selling.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Alright so it's sounds like this is a cash cow/golden goose then? I didn't want to be an rear end in a top hat, in case I was wrong, and say it but that was my original thought.

So if I wanted to get just the bare, qualitative minimum and read about The Horus Heresy, which book from the list posted before (or any other) should I read?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Maybe not what you're looking for, but the driver of the GSC quad has a really cool dome helmet option.

No that's pretty much spot on!

e: now I just gotta track one down.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 11, 2020

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Holy poo poo, my Sister Tariana Palos shipped finally.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Furism posted:

Alright so it's sounds like this is a cash cow/golden goose then? I didn't want to be an rear end in a top hat, in case I was wrong, and say it but that was my original thought.

So if I wanted to get just the bare, qualitative minimum and read about The Horus Heresy, which book from the list posted before (or any other) should I read?

There's a Black Library thread in the Book Barn that would be happy to have a five page argument about this.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Furism posted:

Go by author. Any of the books by Dan Abnett and Aaron Dembski-Bowden will be really good. Anything by Nick Kyme is garbage. The books are very anthologyesque so it won't be too hard to keep up.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

VanSandman posted:

There's a Black Library thread in the Book Barn that would be happy to have a five page argument about this.

Ok now I've got to see this, I love when nerds get into arguments (I'm a nerd too, that's okay).

Thanqol posted:

Go by author. Any of the books by Dan Abnett and Aaron Dembski-Bowden will be really good. Anything by Nick Kyme is garbage. The books are very anthologyesque so it won't be too hard to keep up.

Thanks! It's just, I'd really like one single starting point. I'm not sure by which end to start this. It's like Discworld but worse.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
drat it GW you gave me a tracking number 4 days ago and my big box o paints still hasn't been shipped :mad: I just wanna paint my mans, they've been sitting primed and assembled on my table all weekend, please my family is tired of hearing me talk about it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Holy poo poo, my Sister Tariana Palos shipped finally.

You lucky sonovabitch.
Unless mine suddenly drops in this week when I know the Sslyth I ordered a couple of months ago arrives as well.
(Turns out the guy in charge of GW orders forgot to order it until I checked with them the week before last. :doh: )

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Furism posted:

Ok now I've got to see this, I love when nerds get into arguments (I'm a nerd too, that's okay).

Thanks! It's just, I'd really like one single starting point. I'm not sure by which end to start this. It's like Discworld but worse.

Start with books 1 to 3, then go by author/faction interest. Dan and ADB are both great. I like a lot of Graham McNeil's stuff as well but others think he's poo poo.

We can all agree on Nick Kyme being garbage.

E: genuinely feel for salamanders players as Nick seems to get all their books.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cooked Auto posted:

You lucky sonovabitch.
Unless mine suddenly drops in this week when I know the Sslyth I ordered a couple of months ago arrives as well.
(Turns out the guy in charge of GW orders forgot to order it until I checked with them the week before last. :doh: )

After I get through my backlog ( :lmao: ) I want to make a Sisters of Battle Kill Team for my wife. I really love what Games Workshop has been doing with these models.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
One of the arms to the new necron walkers snapped and that thing isn't sticking back with the 5th application of plastic glue after snapping for the 4th time at the touch of a brush.

They're neat to look qt but drat if they aren't some.of the fiddliest fragile models they've put out.

Its snapped at the thinnest part so I can't pin it, I can't apply pressure during gluing because it just slips and just snaps under pressure.

I have spares but it was already at the painting stage and fucknl ifnit isn't frustrating to have to start from scratch because of the things broke an just won't fix.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Choppy bois done!

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

R0ckfish posted:

Choppy bois done!

God i love those gold edges

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Furism posted:

The book barn thread is pretty good about steering people to the decent stuff. There are probably close to 10 short story anthologies in that 54 books too etc. The 1st 3 are good, then if you like certain factions etc. there are some good ones also. These are ones I've read and enjoyed, for what is worth. There are other that seem to be popular but I didn't care for. I think some of the Chaos books are just seeing a bunch of idiots not realize they're being idiots like Fulgrim and Lorgar.

Horus Rising
False Gods
Galaxy in Flames
Decscent of Angels (if you like Dark Angels)
Mechanicum
A Thousand Suns
The First Heretic
Propspero Burns
Know No Fear
The Master of Mankind
Tallarn

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Furism posted:

I think you could do a really neat sequence of Horus Rising, The First Heretic, Know No Fear, Betrayer. Those four books in isolation will really get you the emotional core of the Heresy, and then you can branch out into whatever other legions' stories interest you from there.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

For_Great_Justice posted:

One of the arms to the new necron walkers snapped and that thing isn't sticking back with the 5th application of plastic glue after snapping for the 4th time at the touch of a brush.

They're neat to look qt but drat if they aren't some.of the fiddliest fragile models they've put out.

Its snapped at the thinnest part so I can't pin it, I can't apply pressure during gluing because it just slips and just snaps under pressure.

I have spares but it was already at the painting stage and fucknl ifnit isn't frustrating to have to start from scratch because of the things broke an just won't fix.

Wrap it in shonky greenstuff and tear some superglue over the join and you've made a flayed one.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
Legendary Ptarmigan's Long and Incomplete Guide to the Horus Heresy novel series

1. Horus Rising (Dan Abnett)
2. False Gods (Graham McNeill)
3. Galaxy in Flames (Ben Counter)
The first three novels are a tightly-planned trilogy, following the same protagonists from around the Triumph of Ullanor up to the Dropsite Massacre. Garviel Loken is a captain in the Luna Wolves chapter, and the trilogy details his interactions with Horus and his inner circle as the Heresy takes shape. Read these three first, in publishing order. 5/5
4. The Flight of the Eisenstein (James Swallow)
This novel introduces a Death Guard captain as the protagonist, picking up from a thread towards the end of Galaxy in Flames. You would be forgiven for thinking he was the same character as Loken, but the novel isn’t bad. 4/5
5. Fulgrim (Graham McNeill)
Standalone novel, depicting the corruption of the Emperor’s Children. Much of the Excess that possesses the marines is unrelated to sex, which is pretty great. 5/5
6. Descent of Angels (Mitchel Scanlon)
I read this one when it first came out. It’s about the founding of the Dark Angels. It’s not good. Skip. 1/5
7. Legion (Dan Abnett)
Contrary to popular opinion, I didn’t enjoy it much. Alpha Legion being sneaky, including their interactions with a whole host of non-marine characters. 3/5
8. Battle for the Abyss (Ben Counter)
Small unit tactics from Ultramarines versus Word Bearers on a big stolen spaceship. Pulpy, with a very different feel too the earlier novels. Eminently skippable. 2/5
9. Mechanicum (Graham McNeill)
Standalone novel depicting the Heresy as it comes to Mars. Quite good. Read this one. 5/5
10. Tales of Heresy (compilation)
I read it, but long enough ago that I can’t recall much about it. It had a couple interesting short stories that build out the universe and lead into later stuff, like the split between Terran and Chogorian Marines depicted in the White Scar novels. 4/5
11. Fallen Angels (Mike Lee)
Skip this one too. More Dark Angels. 1/5
12. A Thousand Sons (Graham McNeill)
Titular main chapter doin’ chaos. Pretty good. 4/5
13. Nemesis (James Swallow)
A team of assassins tries to assassinate Horus and fails spectacularly. Just as bad as the Dark Angel books. 1/5
14. The First Heretic (Aaron Dembski-Bowden)
Possibly the best Heresy novel, inexplicably about the worst chapter (the Word Bearers). Put this one on the list. 6/5
15. Prospero Burns (Dan Abnett)
Companion novel to A Thousand Sons, this time from the Space Wolf perspective. It’s great, but read that one first. 5/5
16. Age of Darkness (compilation)
First one I haven’t read. More short stories
17. The Outcast Dead (Graham McNeill)
Second one I haven’t read.
18. Deliverance Lost (Gav Thorpe)
I’ve heard Gav is not a great author. I read his Last Chancers novels and tend to agree, so I skipped this.
19. Know No Fear (Dan Abnett)
Ultramarines get ambushed by the World Eaters. This one is just behind the First Heretic. Read it. 5/5
20. The Primarchs (compilation)
I’ve not read this. Apparently it has some novellas about various Primarchs.
21. Fear to Tread (James Swallow)
James Swallow wrote a couple of 40k Blood Angels novels in 2004-2005. They are among the worst novels I have had the misfortune to read. This one is actually okay though. I would recommend it to Blood Angel enthusiasts. 3/5
22. Shadows of Treachery (compilation)
Forth one I haven’t read.
23. Angel Exterminatus (Graham McNeill)
Perturabo’s Iron Warriors and Fulgrim’s fully corrupted Emperor’s Children team up to go and find a Macguffin. It’s surprisingly not bad. 3/5
24. Betrayer (Aaron Dembski-Bowden)
Follow-up to Know No Fear with Ultramarines and World Eaters. It’s quite good as well. 5/5
25. Mark of Calth (compilation)
I don’t know if I’ve read this one or not. I think it’s more Ultramarine stuff.
26. Vulkan Lives (Nick Kyme)
Vulkan makes a hilariously bad cameo in (I think) Know No Fear, and at that moment I decided not to read any 30k Salamander stuff.
27. The Unremembered Empire (Dan Abnett)
Start of a self-contained arc about the Ultramarines’ subset of an empire that was cut off from Terra by the Word Bearers’ mischief. It’s fine. 3/5
28. Scars (Chris Wraight)
I really liked this one. It gives the White Scars some much-needed personality. 5/5
29. Vengeful Spirit (Graham McNeill)
Fully-Chaosified Horus and his Sons doing evil things. Not bad, if I recall correctly. 3/5
30. The Damnation of Pythos (David Annandale)
Iron Hands being grim, stoic, and surprisingly more relatable than Iron Warriors on a mysterious jungle planet. I enjoyed it. 4/5
31. Legacies of Betrayal (compilation)
These short story and novella collections might be great, I just haven’t read any of them.
32. Deathfire (Nick Kyme)
See my comment on novel 26.
33. War Without End (compilation)
More short stories! This is the point where the 30k novels are in full doldrums-mode and seem to lack overall narrative arc.
34. Pharos (Guy Haley)
Another entry in the Imperium Secundus arc (after the Unremembered Empire), this time with some Imperial Fists. The Night Lords show up, and are cartoonishly evil to a delightful extent. 4/5
35. Eye of Terra (compilation)
You got me.
36. The Path of Heaven (Chris Wraight)
White Scars book two. Not quite as good as the first one. Read it anyway. 4/5
37. The Silent War (compilation)
Yup, I skipped this one too.
38. Angels of Caliban (Gav Thorpe)
Maybe this will be better since they’re off Caliban? It’s Gav Thorpe though…read at your own risk.
39. Praetorian of Dorn (John French)
Alpha Legion starts attacking the Terra System, going up against the boys in yellow. I liked this one too. 4/5
40. Corax (Gav Thorpe)
I skipped this.
41. The Master of Mankind (Aaron Dembski Bowden)
Custodes and friends fighting demons in the Emperor’s webway portal that Magnus broke back in book 15. Not great. 3/5
42. Garro (James Swallow)
The protagonist of book 4 (Flight of the Eisenstein) makes a somewhat boring return. 2/5
43. Shattered Legions (compilation)
A short story book that I’ve actually read! Iron Hands, Salamanders, and Raven Guard remnants fight to survive after the Dropsite Massacre. This one is pretty good. 4/5
44. The Crimson King (Graham McNeill)
Magnus has an identity crisis. It’s not great. 3/5
45. Tallarn (John French)
I quite liked this one. Iron Warriors invade the titular planet and a big vehicle fight ensues. Pretty rad. 5/5

There's about 10 more after this that I haven't got around to yet.

Read in arcs:

The first three novels form a coherent trilogy, so read them first and in publication order. I’ve gotten some mileage out of reading novels in an order that makes thematic sense, such as the Ultramarine/Calth arc: Battle for the Abyss, Know No Fear, Betrayer, or the Thousand Sons/Space Wolf narrative of A Thousand Sons, Prospero Burns, The Crimson King. One could also read the two White Scars novels back-to-back, or read all the Imperium Secendus stuff in order, while breaking the larger arcs up with the smaller standalone stuff. The chronology is pretty fast and loose after the first 9 or so novels, so outside of the couple of general arcs you can read the books in whatever order you choose.

Apparently the overall narrative planning gets better in the last ten books (not included in my list above since I’ve not read any of them) as the authors strive to wrap things up, and the currently-operating Heresy setting is gonna wrap up with a 7-part (I think) planned set of novels surrounding the Siege of Terra. This last set will hopefully emulate the planning and overlapping narrative found in the opening trilogy, and they are being released under the Siege of Terra name instead of the Horus Heresy branding that the first 54ish novels have.

TLDR Guide (in suggested order):

Horus Rising
False Gods
Galaxy in Flames
Mechanicum
The First Heretic
Know No Fear
Betrayer
A Thousand Sons
Prospero Burns
Shattered Legions
Scars
The Path of Heaven
Tallern
The Master of Mankind
Praetorian of Dorn

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!

Thanqol posted:

Wrap it in shonky greenstuff and tear some superglue over the join and you've made a flayed one.

A giant walker covered in skin is very tempting now.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I know it was only a throw away line in there but I think the first Last Chancer's novel is pretty good, the second one is shite and was clearly written as a promotional thing alongside the release of the T'au, and the third one was mediocre. The new one got a bit silly.

Weirdly he got worse as that series went on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

R0ckfish posted:

Choppy bois done!

How do you do your gold shoulderpads and blue weapons? I'm trying to figure out a scheme for Orks and green/blue/gold sounds like it'd be pretty solid!